A County Donegal man has been made the third most powerful man in America.
Martin E Dempsey was inaugurated as the Chief of Staff of the American Army at a ceremony at the White House.
General Dempsey is the grandson of John Og Devenney, who left Ranafast in West Donegal for America in 1926.
Last night his relations across West Donegal were toasting his success.
He will now oversee 600,000 soldiers in 135 countries around the world and is now third in command behind President Barack Obama and Defence Secretary Robert Gates.
Having graduated from Westpoint Military Academy in 1974, Dempsey rose quickly through the ranks and has seen action in Operation Desert Storm in Iraq as well as serving in the Philippines and Germany.
General Dempsey’s first cousin Donnchadh Devenney revealed yesterday how the decorated Chief of Staff is very proud of his Irish roots.
“He is very proud of his roots and so are the rest of his family. His sister Susan is due home here in Donegal in the summer months.
“He keeps in touch about all that is happening in Ireland and knows and can be heard singing plenty of Irish songs. It’s good to see he has never forgotten where he comes from,” said Donnchadh from his own home in Ranafast.
He also revealed how the Devenney family homestead from where Martin’s grandfather emigrated 85 years ago is still lived in today.
Donnchadh added “It’s great to see someone from Ireland having done so well for themselves and still to remember where they came from.
“His grandfather left the old train station in Crolly with four of his friends to find a better life in America and they were played off by the local Ranafast band which they were members of.
“It’s great to see that something good came of it and that an Irishman and the rest of his family have done so well for themselves,” he said.
More from Donegal Daily
- IT’S FLIPPIN’ PANCAKE TIME – WITH CHEF MARTIN ANDERSON!
I know I'm ahead of myself but next Tuesday is a very special day as you all know ......it's pancake Tuesday .
Love them or hate them it's a national tradition to serve pancakes before lent starts.
Folk would sacrifice eggs and sugar over the Lenten period and this was their […]
- AMERICA’S TOP GENERAL WITH RANAFAST ROOTS RETIRES WITH IRISH SONG AND SPEECH FROM PRESIDENT OBAMA
THE head of America's armed forces has stepped down - with Donegal in his retirement plans.
General Martin Dempsey, who spent many summers in the west of the county with his cousins, had been Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff - the highest-ranking military officer in the US […]
- KEEPING YOUR HAIR COLOUR FOR LONGER – WITH PATRICK GILDEA’S CENTRE OF EXCELLENCE
The good news is that with proper care and a little creativity, you can keep your colour-treated hair looking shiny and vibrant.
Patrick asked Elaine one of our Master Colour Technicians to share her experience with us on keeping coloured hair fresh and vibrant. This is what she […]
- MOTORING: ON THE ROAD AGAIN with BRIAN McDAID
Rallying is in Brian McDaid's blood. And in his column this week, he catches up with a certified Donegal Rally legend, James Cullen and finds he's still earning a living behind the wheel!
Cullen for Donegal?
It's 25 years ago this year since Donegal’s greatest rally […]
- MAN UNITED STARS SET FOR DONEGAL CHARITY CYCLE A host of former Reds, including Clayton Blackmore and Denis Irwin (pictured), will be in Co Donegal in June - to raise money for charity.
Blackmore, Irwin, David May and ex-Celt Brian McClair will all jump in the saddle at various points over the eight-day challenge to ride the 592 […]
- EVERY BUNNY LOVES EASTER – COOKING WITH CHEF MARTIN ANDERSON
Every Bunny loves Easter and no, I'm not giving you a recipe for rabbit.
Yes, it's the end of lent for a lot of you and on Sunday Morning there will be hot chocolate for breakfast, Facebook accounts will be reactivated, cream eggs will take a bashing, chocolate treats will be […]
- PRESIDENT OBAMA PRAISES PLIGHT OF DONEGAL EMIGRANTS TO LAUNCH IRISH AMERICAN HERITAGE MONTH The President of the United States of America has used the plight of Donegal emigrants to launch Irish American Heritage Month.
Barack Obama describes how for hundreds of years people have left the shores of Donegal to travel to America to try and build a better life.
The US […]
- CORRIGAN BROTHERS CHANGE NAME IN HONOUR OF LETTERMACAWARD MAN MCHUGH
Irish band the Corrigan Brothers have become the “Carl McHugh Brothers” to honour the Donegal man and Bradford City hero for the Capital One Cup Final in Wembley.
The Brothers enjoyed a huge hit with "There's No One As Irish As Barack Obama" which notched up ten million […]
- QUIZ-GOERS USE THEIR BRAINS TO DO THEIR BIT FOR VICTIMS OF PHILIPPINES TYPHOON Quiz-goers in Letterkenny put their thinking caps on tonight and raised more than a thousand euro to help victims of the Philippine Typhoon Disaster.
Organiser Catherine Kelly said she was overwhelmed by the support from the community and thanked sponsors for their help in making the […]
- SHOCK AS DEAD CALF HAS TAGS REMOVED AND DUMPED AT ROADSIDE
People have been left shocked after a calf had its identity tags removed and was dumped at a roadside on the outskirts of Letterkenny.
The black and white Friesian calf was dumped at Kirkstown close to the Glencar Road around 5pm yesterday evening.
A person out walking made the […]
- DONEGAL TD WELCOMES OBAMA’S STATEMENTS ON PEACE PROCESS Fine Gael Donegal North East Deputy, Joe McHugh, has said that statements by US President, Barack Obama, and US Secretary of State, John Kerry, marking the 15th anniversary of the Good Friday Agreement, demonstrate the USA’s willingness to be actively involved in building a better future […]
- FAI BOSS DELANEY TO BE SPECIAL GUEST AT SPORTS STAR AWARDS FAI Chief Executive Officer John Delaney will be the Donegal Sports Star organisation's special guest for the 38th official annual awards ceremony in the Mount Errigal Hotel on Friday, January 31st.
It’s a huge coup for the committee to have secured the soccer chief just a few […]
- DONEGAL STUDENT CARVES A WINNING NICHE IN NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS
A Donegal student has come first in Joinery at the Ireland Skills competition, the annual national showcase for outstanding young craft trainees.
Sheamus McLaughlin from Kerrykeel, who is doing a BSc in Advanced Wood & Sustainable Building Technology degree at IT Sligo, […]
- TOP BAND RELEASE TRIBUTE TO DANIEL’S NEW VISITOR CENTRE! They became famous around the globe after penning the song ‘There’s No One as Irish as Barack Obama.’
But now the madcap Corrigan Brothers have decided to pen a ditty to someone even more important than the US President – Daniel O’Donnell.
The Limerick band have just released their […]
- MCCONALOGUE URGES GOVERNMENT TO USE OBAMA VISIT TO HELP UNDOCUMENTED IRISH IN US Donegal North East TD Charlie McConalogue is urging the government not to miss the opportunity presented by Barack Obama’s visit to Ireland to highlight the plight of the undocumented Irish in the US.
Speaking ahead of the visit Deputy McConalogue said we must build on the work […]
- MEP GALLAGHER CALLS FOR UNDOCUMENTED IRISH TO BE RAISED DURING EU-US SUMMIT Pat the Cope Gallagher MEP has called on the President of the European Commission, José Manuel Barroso, to highlight to US President Barack Obama the issue of the undocumented Irish living in the United States.
President Obama will be arriving in Brussels tonight for the EU and […]
- DOHERTY SLAMS GOVERNMENT OVER LOW TAXES FOR MEGA-RICH AMERICAN COMPANIES Sinn Féin Finance Spokesperson Pearse Doherty TD said the Irish Government ostrich mentality was responsible for Ireland’s tax reputation being damaged.
Deputy Doherty was responding to comments from US President Barack Obama concerning Ireland being a low tax jurisdiction in use by […]
- SUIGH SÍOS AGUS LIG DO SCÍTH AR NOLLAIG NA mBAN Step away from the mound of pine needles heaped by the ChristmasTree.
Leave the children in their pjs and get out of the house.
That’s an order to all the women in the county from donegaldaily.com
to go out and grab a cuppa, read the entire newspaper (bliss) or just
time to mark […]
- LATEST: PICTURES OF BOSTON BOMB SUSPECTS RELEASED
BREAKING NEWS: The FBI has released photographs of two suspects it wants to identify as part of the investigation into Monday's Boston marathon bombings which left three people dead and 170 injured.
More than ten people from Donegal were in the vicinity of the attack.
- DONEGAL BUSINESSMAN LEFT SPEECHLESS BY PRESIDENT OBAMA’S PERSONAL LETTER A Donegal businessman said he is still in shock after receiving a personal letter from US President Barack Obama.
James Richard Arnold, who runs a recruitment firm in Letterkenny, wrote to the American President asking him to use his powerful position to encourage smaller […]