A County Donegal man has been made the third most powerful man in America.
Martin E Dempsey was inaugurated as the Chief of Staff of the American Army at a ceremony at the White House.
General Dempsey is the grandson of John Og Devenney, who left Ranafast in West Donegal for America in 1926.
Last night his relations across West Donegal were toasting his success.
He will now oversee 600,000 soldiers in 135 countries around the world and is now third in command behind President Barack Obama and Defence Secretary Robert Gates.
Having graduated from Westpoint Military Academy in 1974, Dempsey rose quickly through the ranks and has seen action in Operation Desert Storm in Iraq as well as serving in the Philippines and Germany.
General Dempsey’s first cousin Donnchadh Devenney revealed yesterday how the decorated Chief of Staff is very proud of his Irish roots.
“He is very proud of his roots and so are the rest of his family. His sister Susan is due home here in Donegal in the summer months.
“He keeps in touch about all that is happening in Ireland and knows and can be heard singing plenty of Irish songs. It’s good to see he has never forgotten where he comes from,” said Donnchadh from his own home in Ranafast.
He also revealed how the Devenney family homestead from where Martin’s grandfather emigrated 85 years ago is still lived in today.
Donnchadh added “It’s great to see someone from Ireland having done so well for themselves and still to remember where they came from.
“His grandfather left the old train station in Crolly with four of his friends to find a better life in America and they were played off by the local Ranafast band which they were members of.
“It’s great to see that something good came of it and that an Irishman and the rest of his family have done so well for themselves,” he said.
More from Donegal Daily
- IT’S FLIPPIN’ PANCAKE TIME – WITH CHEF MARTIN ANDERSON!
I know I'm ahead of myself but next Tuesday is a very special day as you all know ......it's pancake Tuesday .
Love them or hate them it's a national tradition to serve pancakes before lent starts.
Folk would sacrifice eggs and sugar over the Lenten period and this was their […]
- AMERICA’S TOP GENERAL WITH RANAFAST ROOTS RETIRES WITH IRISH SONG AND SPEECH FROM PRESIDENT OBAMA
THE head of America's armed forces has stepped down - with Donegal in his retirement plans.
General Martin Dempsey, who spent many summers in the west of the county with his cousins, had been Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff - the highest-ranking military officer in the US […]
- YOUNG CONVOY BOXER BRYAN BEATS BRITISH CHAMP IN TOP BOUT REMEMBER this name - Bryan McNamee!
If the Convoy lad keeps boxing the way he has been, he could be a Donegal Olympic hero one day.
Bryan has been boxing for just years and already has three North West Zone titles, five Ulster titles and two Irish titles.
The Covoy Amateur […]
- EMMET RUSHE: RETURNING TO EXERCISE AFTER GIVING BIRTH BY EMMET RUSHE: Continuing on with last week’s theme of pregnancy and having a new baby, this week we will look at returning to exercise after giving birth.
Many “new mammies” want to know when it is safe to begin training again.
Every woman is different, but here are some […]
- GARDENING WITH GARETH – GROWING GARLIC IS AS EASY AS!
What a smashing week of weather!
Indeed the last few weeks of weather has been smashing, with many spring flowering plants even coming back into flower. A Bramley apple in my back garden is throwing out the odd flower and I’m sure with this good weather Seamus will be busy with […]
- GARDENING WITH GARETH – IT’S YOUR DUTY TO BE AUTUMNALLY FRUITY!
Autumn is in full swing, with autumn colour decorating the hedgerows and woodlands of the county.
This week I had the pleasure of visiting 2 of the countys finest gardens, Glenveagh and Cluain na dTor Seaside Nursery in Falcarragh.
Both these gardens were just magnificent in […]
- USE YOUR LOAF………WITH CHEF MARTIN ANDERSON
Yes it's national bread week in case you haven't heard ......well it's nearly over but now is your chance to take part and make a loaf yourself .
Now when I say bread week I'm not talking about the mass produced balls of chemically enhanced , bleached flour , batch backed , […]
- A LITTLE TASTE OF CHRISTMAS AT THE ABBEY HOTEL IN NOVEMBER The committee are delighted to announce the line up of Celebrity chefs & demos taking part in this year’s two day event from Saturday 30th November to Sunday 1st December 2013 inclusive in the Abbey Hotel Donegal Town from 11.00am to 6.30pm each day.
Local Celebrity Chefs will […]
- LIFESTYLE: STRONG IS THE NEW SEXY SO DON’T BE AFRAID TO LIFT THE BAR! Strong is the new sexy in fitness trends nowadays but as well as looking hot, there are huge health benefits for women.
Weight training is widely regarded as an essential component of a healthy lifestyle and many studies have debunked the myth that a woman will bulk up if she lifts […]
- GARDENING WITH GARETH – THE A-Z OF TREES
Selecting, Planting and Managing Trees….
With Horticulturist Gareth Austin
Trees provide many great functions in our gardens, from providing screening, windbreak, avenues, cleaning air and more, and as such the guidelines for their selection will dramatically vary […]
- ‘WOOD’ YOU BELIEVE IT?! Award winning internationally renowned wood turner Stuart Mortimer is expected to attract a large audience when he demonstrates his skill at a two-day wood turning and wood machinery event in Co Donegal this weekend.
The two-day event is being hosted at WH Raitt in Stranorlar this […]
- BAD PENNY WELL SPENT: THE DEFINITIVE RORY GALLAGHER BIOGRAPHY HITS SHELVES HE'S one of Donegal's most famous sons.
Rory Gallagher was also Ireland’s first ever rock star; a shy and gentle young musician who became a guitar hero and icon to legions of fans, selling 30 million records worldwide.
Now, 17 years after his untimely death, the first […]
- OH NO IT ISN’T! OH YES IT IS…AS MOVILLE MUSICAL SOCIETY GETS READY TO PANTO! Oh no it isn’t, oh yes it is, it’s that time of year again folks, when Moville open’s its doors to another successful Pantomime.
This year, Moville Musical Society proudly presents Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs from the 29th of January to Sunday 8th February.
Tickets will be on […]
- NEW! STEPHEN DOHERTY’S COUNTRY MUSIC CORNER Hi All and welcome along to the first edition of Country Corner. This new column on donegaldaily.com will be updated every week, and I will have all the latest news in Irish Country Music.
Gerry Guthrie from Ballina in Co.Sligo has just released his new 12 track CD entitled – A Hard […]
- CONGRESSMAN BRENDAN BOYLE, SON OF GLENCOLMCILLE MAN, MEETS THE PRESIDENT
Philadelphia Congressman Brendan Boyle, whose father comes from Glencolmcille welcomed President Barack Obama to his state yesterday afternoon.
Brendan Boyle is a member of the Democratic Party and was recently elected to congress.
Boyle is the Representative for Pennsylvania's […]
- BRESSIE AND ASLAN AMONG LINE-UP FOR LETTERKENNY LIVE!
Some of Ireland’s biggest acts have been announced for Letterkenny Live this summer.
The event, which takes place on August 18th and 19th, will feature none other than Bressie and also the legendary Aslan.
Details of the super event were announced at a launch last […]
- STANDING ROOM ONLY AS DANIEL RECEIVES THE FREEDOM OF DONEGAL One of Donegal's greatest ambassadors, Daniel O'Donnell, has just received the Freedom of Donegal at a touching ceremony at County House in Lifford.
A large crowd of family and friends gathered for what the singer said was the biggest honour of his career.
There was standing-room […]
- WANT TO LOOK GORGEOUS FOR FREE? WIN A STUNNING MAKEOVER WITH PATRICK GILDEA HAIRDRESSING
Patrick Gildea Hairdressing are delighted to announce that they have teamed up Donegal Daily to offer one lucky reader a stunning Makeover.
Given the success of Patrick Gildea Hairdressing’s previous operation transformation makeover with Donegal Daily, Patrick and his team […]
- TRAVEL: PORTAVENTURA’S HALLOWEEN SPOOKTACULAR AS autumn winds finally arrive in Donegal, thoughts may turn to warmer climes for the mid-term break.
And if you're looking for something different this Halloween you can combine all that Spain has to offer with some spooktacular fun for all the family at Portaventura.
Those who've […]
- EMMET RUSHE’S FITNESS COLUMN: BEING FIT FOR BUSINESS Next week marks the beginning of Enterprising Donegal Business Week 2015.
It runs from Monday the 23rd until Friday the 27th of March and if you are in business or are planning on starting a business, there are a host of events throughout the week that can help anyone in any type of […]