DONEGAL are on their way home tonight with the Anglo-Celt after winning the Ulster Championship against Derry today – with the players praising Donegal manager Jim McGuinness for securing the first Ulster title for the county in 19 years.
Donegal won the game by six points – 1-11 to 0-8.
And tonight the star players were united in their view as to why Donegal did win….manager Jim McGuinness.
The brilliant Colm McFadden – donegaldaily.com’s Man of the Match – said: “Jim told us at half-time to go out and work hard for us. We were delighted that we were able to push on in the second half.”
Smiling from ear to ear, McFadden beamed: “This means a lot to us. We have had a lot of disappointment and you think you’ll never win an Ulster medal and today we got it. I’m delighted. I don’t think words can describe how we feel.”
Captain fantastic Michael Murphy enthused: “It’s an amazing day for all of us. We have worked hard and we have worked hard for Jim and all of the management team.”
Mark McHugh said: “This man (Jim) deserves great credit. From January we have done some amount of work. We showed in the second half what we are capable of and we have some way to go yet. We all work off the same hymn sheet and it paid off for us today.
“We had a good defensive structure. The goal came at the right time.”
And Michael Hegarty insisted: We wouldn’t have done it without Jim McGuiness. We have a bit of a break now and we can re-group and go on.”
The Donegal player was also praiseworthy of Derry – and expressed the hope they can also move forward.
“Hopefully Derry will progress because they are a great footballing team,” said Hegarty.
The man of the moment – manager Jim – was beaming afterwards.
Jim McGuiness said: “It is phenomenal. The scenes here were superb. I feel privileged to be part of this group. They are very hard working. They deserve to get their Ulster medal and they will have that forever more.
“The players deserve this. Kevin Cassidy was immense today; huge credit to all team.
“It means everything to me to win an Ulster championsip. I always liked playing in the championship and always felt as a player that we didn’t win enough. I’m getting a huge kick out of it now as a manager.”
The dedication of this Donegal side has been incredible since January.
They have ridden the knocks – and those who would knock them
And tomorrow morning they will be out training on the beach….getting ready for the All-Ireland phase….the whole county will be right behind them.
You can read how it happnened here: www.donegaldaily.com/2011/07/17/ulster-sfc-final-live-text-from-clones-on-donegal-v-derry/
Donegal scorers: M Murphy 1-02 (1-00 pen), C McFadden 0-04 (2f), M Hegarty, A Thompson 0-02 each, R Bradley 0-01.
Derry scorers: J Kielt 0-04 (2f), C Kielt 0-02, C Gilligan (f), M Donaghy 0-01 each.
Donegal: P Durcan, F McGlynn, N McGee, P McGrath, A Thompson, K Lacey, K Cassidy, R Kavanagh, N Gallagher, M McHugh, M Hegarty, R Bradley, P McBrearty, M Murphy, C McFadden.
Subs: M McElhinney for Kavanagh (32), D Molloy for McBrearty (52), D Walsh for Bradley (58), G O’Kane for B McGoldrick (61), PJ McCloskey for Muldoon (61)
Derry: D Devlin, SL McGoldrick, K McGuckin, D McBride, C Mullan, C Kielt, B McGoldrick, J Diver, M Friel, M Lynch, C O’Boyle, M Bateson, E Muldoon, J Kielt, C Gilligan.
Subs: M Donaghy for Bateson (27), K McCloy for Mullan (46), E McGuckin for Gilligan
Referee: M Deegan (Laois).
More from Donegal Daily
- REVEALED: JOE BROLLY IN ANOTHER ATTACK ON DONEGAL FORMER Derry GAA player and TV pundit Joe Brolly has launched another scathing attack on the Donegal GAA team and manager Jim McGuinness.
The Dungiven man claimed Donegal's tactics were ruining the game.
Said Brolly: "The point that has been missed in all the furore caused since […]
- DONEGAL TEAM TAKE TO THE SKIES FOR CORK GAME – PICTURE EXCLUSIVE
The Donegal GAA team left the county in style this morning as they took a specially-chartered plane to Cork for the National League game against the Rebels tonight.
The team were given a great send-off by fans and staff at Donegal Airport at Carrickfin.
The team looked casual […]
- ST EUNAN’S COLLEGE CROWNED MacLARNON CUP CHAMPS AFTER DERBY WIN OVER INIS EOGHAIN ST EUNAN'S College lifted the MacLarnon Cup in an historic St Patrick's Day derby final against Coláistí Inis Eoghain in Armagh today.
The excellent Niall O'Donnell won a crucial penalty in the dying embers of the game before adding a point himself to see the Letterkenny college […]
- DONEGAL BEHIND AT HALF-TIME IN MATCH FOR MICHAELA
Donegal are behind against the Ulster select by 1-6 to 0-4 at half-time in the Match for Michaela at Casement park in Belfast.
Martin Penrose got the goal for Ulster but he admitted at half-time that he was going for a point but managed the goal.
However Penrose expects Donegal […]
- COLM McFADDEN NAMED MAN OF THE MATCH – AND SUPERDAD! DONEGAL'S Colm McFadden was named RTE's Man of the Match after his superb display against Down at Breffni Park today....just four days after the birth of his son Matthew.
The St Michael's man scored some wonderful points in the Ulster semi-final win over the Mournemen.
The RTE […]
- AWKWARD OR WHAT? TG4 QUIZ McGUINNESS AS CASSIDY STANDS JUST FEET AWAY AS awkward TV moments go, this one took some beating.
Kevin Cassidy, double All-Star winner and some-time commentator/pundit for TG4 was standing on O'Donnell Park as a telly colleague starts interviewing Jim McGuinness.
What - enquired the TG4 reporter - about Cassidy? Would be be […]
- TIR CHONAILL ABÚ: CAPTAIN MURPHY SAYS HARD WORK WAS KEY TO VICTORY! DONEGAL Captain Michael Murphy said sweet victory over Kildare at Croke Park in the All-Ireland Quarter Final was just reward for the hard work put into the county effort by the players and management team.
Murphy revealed that he played through the pain barrier when he came on as a […]
- DONEGAL LEAD AT CROKER: HISTORIC DOUBLE STILL ON THE CARDS
Donegal 1-08 Dublin 0-10
Donegal's senior footballers' dream of joining their minors at All-Ireland finals day is on the cards as they lead reigning champions Dublin in their semi-final clash at Croke Park.
Jim McGuinness's men are ahead by a single point at the break against […]
- ‘ST MICHAEL’ WINS COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP FOR GLENSWILLY UPDATED: GLENSWILLY are the SFC county Champions for the first time in their history after a superb two point win over St Michael's in the showpiece final today.
'Saint Michael' Murphy - man of the match by a country mile - scored 1-7 of his side's 1-8 score in their win over the […]
- CASSIDY ROW: TIME TO MOVE ON, SAYS MANAGER JIM Donegal manager Jim McGuinness has asked people to move on from the Kevin Cassidy row - and look forward to the future.
Speaking to the BBC, Jim was asked about his decision to drop the All Star from the county panel during the Ulster GAA writers awards in Bundoran this weekend.
- MASSIVE BOOST FOR DONEGAL AS LEO MCLOONE RETURNS TO COUNTY SQUAD Donegal have received a massive boost with the news that Leo McLoone has returned to full training with Rory Gallagher's squad this evening in Ballyshannon.
McLoone opted not to re-join the squad when Rory Gallagher took over citing that he wanted to take time out to go […]
- DAD OF MISSING LIFFORD MAN DENIES HIS SON IS IN HIDING The heartbroken father of a missing man has denied malicious rumours that his son is in hiding.
Tragic David Colhoun has been missing for almost six weeks after last being seen trying to cross a river to his home in Co Donegal.
The 22 year old had been arrested by police in Co […]
- DELIGHT FOR FOUR MASTERS U12 STAR LEE MURCHAN AS HE REPRESENTS CLUB AT CROKE PARK Four Masters GAA News:
Club Lotto Result
The draw for the latest club lotto took place on Monday night in the Abbey Hotel. There was no jackpot winner of the €2,000 jackpot with the number drawn: 4, 17, 20 and 23. Four consolation prize winners of €25 drawn were Lorcan McGinley […]
- DONEGAL TEAM CLEAN UP ON SUNDAY GAME TEAM OF THE YEAR Eight Donegal players have been named on RTE’s Sunday Game Team of the Year.
The players are Paul Durcan, Neil Magee, Frank McGlynn, Karl Lacey, Mark McHugh, Neil Gallagher, Colm McFadden and Michael Murphy.
Michael Murphy was named as today’s Man of the Match.
The Sunday Game’s […]
- THE DAZZLING DOZEN! 12 DONEGAL PLAYERS ON ALL-STAR NOMINATION LIST DONEGAL'S All-Ireland winning team has received the most nominations for this year's All Stars - with an incredible TWELVE nominations.
A total of twelve counties are represented amongst the 45 nominees.
But Donegal top the list with 12, followed by Mayo who have ten.
The 12 […]
- RTE TO SHOW DONEGAL’S ALL-IRELAND HEROICS IN SPECIAL ‘JIMMY’S WINNING MATCHES’ DOCUMENTARY
DONEGAL’S All-Ireland heroes are set to feature in a special documentary to be broadcast tomorrow night.
We showed you a teaser video for the documentary on RTE at the weekend. Here it is again.
‘Jimmy’s Winning Matches’ looks at Jim McGuinness’s two years […]
- PAWFECT! DONEGAL ARE TOP DOGS OF ULSTER! They said we were ‘barking mad’ to dream of two Ulster titles in a row.
But Jim McGuinness and his men were top dogs last night after collaring Down to capture the Anglo Celt Cup in Clones yesterday.
A huge army of Donegal fans travelled to Monaghan hoping to make history.
- GAA LEGEND TIPS DONEGAL TO GO ALL THE WAY It may be early days but one of the GAA’s greatest legends has said Donegal have what it takes to possibly go all the way this year.
Kerry legend Mick O’Dwyer has admitted he was not a fan of Donegal’s brand of football last year.
But Micko has now admitted that he is gradually […]
- DONEGAL’S HARD GRAFT PAYS OFF AGAINST TYRONE Tyrone 0-6 Donegal 1-10
Donegal hit a rich vein of form to beat Tyrone comfortably at Healy Park and send the Red Hand spiralling into the relegation zone.
Mickey Harte’s men had promised to put on their scoring boots after recent laboured displays.
But it was Jim McGuinness’ […]
- GAA: FAN’S CRITICISM OF DONEGAL’S HOTEL STAY BELOW is a letter sent to the Irish Independent by GAA fan John Cuffe, in which he comments on a different age in the game....
"So Donegal needed to stay in a luxury hotel before playing Derry. Donegal to Clones is not to be equated with a trip in the Australian outback. How things […]