DONEGAL are on their way home tonight with the Anglo-Celt after winning the Ulster Championship against Derry today – with the players praising Donegal manager Jim McGuinness for securing the first Ulster title for the county in 19 years.
Donegal won the game by six points – 1-11 to 0-8.
And tonight the star players were united in their view as to why Donegal did win….manager Jim McGuinness.
The brilliant Colm McFadden – donegaldaily.com’s Man of the Match – said: “Jim told us at half-time to go out and work hard for us. We were delighted that we were able to push on in the second half.”
Smiling from ear to ear, McFadden beamed: “This means a lot to us. We have had a lot of disappointment and you think you’ll never win an Ulster medal and today we got it. I’m delighted. I don’t think words can describe how we feel.”
Captain fantastic Michael Murphy enthused: “It’s an amazing day for all of us. We have worked hard and we have worked hard for Jim and all of the management team.”
Mark McHugh said: “This man (Jim) deserves great credit. From January we have done some amount of work. We showed in the second half what we are capable of and we have some way to go yet. We all work off the same hymn sheet and it paid off for us today.
“We had a good defensive structure. The goal came at the right time.”
And Michael Hegarty insisted: We wouldn’t have done it without Jim McGuiness. We have a bit of a break now and we can re-group and go on.”
The Donegal player was also praiseworthy of Derry – and expressed the hope they can also move forward.
“Hopefully Derry will progress because they are a great footballing team,” said Hegarty.
The man of the moment – manager Jim – was beaming afterwards.
Jim McGuiness said: “It is phenomenal. The scenes here were superb. I feel privileged to be part of this group. They are very hard working. They deserve to get their Ulster medal and they will have that forever more.
“The players deserve this. Kevin Cassidy was immense today; huge credit to all team.
“It means everything to me to win an Ulster championsip. I always liked playing in the championship and always felt as a player that we didn’t win enough. I’m getting a huge kick out of it now as a manager.”
The dedication of this Donegal side has been incredible since January.
They have ridden the knocks – and those who would knock them
And tomorrow morning they will be out training on the beach….getting ready for the All-Ireland phase….the whole county will be right behind them.
You can read how it happnened here: www.donegaldaily.com/2011/07/17/ulster-sfc-final-live-text-from-clones-on-donegal-v-derry/
Donegal scorers: M Murphy 1-02 (1-00 pen), C McFadden 0-04 (2f), M Hegarty, A Thompson 0-02 each, R Bradley 0-01.
Derry scorers: J Kielt 0-04 (2f), C Kielt 0-02, C Gilligan (f), M Donaghy 0-01 each.
Donegal: P Durcan, F McGlynn, N McGee, P McGrath, A Thompson, K Lacey, K Cassidy, R Kavanagh, N Gallagher, M McHugh, M Hegarty, R Bradley, P McBrearty, M Murphy, C McFadden.
Subs: M McElhinney for Kavanagh (32), D Molloy for McBrearty (52), D Walsh for Bradley (58), G O’Kane for B McGoldrick (61), PJ McCloskey for Muldoon (61)
Derry: D Devlin, SL McGoldrick, K McGuckin, D McBride, C Mullan, C Kielt, B McGoldrick, J Diver, M Friel, M Lynch, C O’Boyle, M Bateson, E Muldoon, J Kielt, C Gilligan.
Subs: M Donaghy for Bateson (27), K McCloy for Mullan (46), E McGuckin for Gilligan
Referee: M Deegan (Laois).
More from Donegal Daily
- ULSTER SFC FINAL: LIVE TEXT FROM CLONES ON DONEGAL V DERRY 17: 44: Michael Murphy lifts the Ango-Celt...it's coming home to Donegal tonight. It's a play-off date for Derry against Kildare. Murphy named Man of the Match by the sports writers. It was Colm McFadden for us. Thanks to everyone who followed the game with us today. Video and match […]
- DDTV: VIDEO OF MICHAEL MURPHY LIFTING THE ANGLO-CELT!
THERE might be a few jars sunk in the county tonight after Donegal won the Ulster Senior Football Championship final against Derry in Clones.
But for the players, it will be back to training on the beach tomorrow!
Watch the video of Michael Murphy lifting the Anglo-Celt.
- DDTV: WATCH FULL VIDEO PREVIEW OF THE ULSTER FINAL
DONEGAL take on Derry in the Ulster Senior Football Championship Final at Clones on Sunday.
Watch interviews with manager Jim McGuinness ahead of the big match right here on donegaldaily.com.
Video by jacksonmediatv.
- DDTV: GAA STARS BRING ANGLO-CELT HOME TO DONEGAL TOWN
The atmosphere was electric in the late hours of Sunday and early hours of Monday as Donegal's GAA heroes returned home with the Anglo-Celt Cup after beating Derry by six points in Clones.
This video captures the atmosphere. Click to play.
- DDTV: MORE INTERVIEWS WITH DONEGAL’S GAA HEROES
WATCH more interviews with Donegal's GAA heroes after winning the Ulster Senior Football Championship on Sunday.
Click the video to watch.
- SUPER HANLON HAT-TRICK EARNS KEADUE ROVERS CRUCIAL WIN Adrian Hanlon showed his talents aren't confined to the GAA pitch as he scored a stunning hat-trick for Keadue Rovers this afternoon against Bonagee United at the Dry Arch Park.
His hat-trick eased Keadue's relegation worries and it was a vital victory for the Central Park outfit […]
- REVEALED: JOE BROLLY IN ANOTHER ATTACK ON DONEGAL FORMER Derry GAA player and TV pundit Joe Brolly has launched another scathing attack on the Donegal GAA team and manager Jim McGuinness.
The Dungiven man claimed Donegal's tactics were ruining the game.
Said Brolly: "The point that has been missed in all the furore caused since […]
- GAA: McGUINNESS STICKS WITH SAME TEAM FOR TYRONE CLASH JIM McGuinness has selected an unchanged Donegal team for Sunday's Ulster SFC semi-final against Tyrone at Clones (throw-in 3.30pm).
Frank McGlynn, who has recovered from a hamstring injury, has failed to force his way back into the team.
Dermot Molloy, who scored 0-2 as a […]
- ST EUNAN’S COLLEGE CROWNED MacLARNON CUP CHAMPS AFTER DERBY WIN OVER INIS EOGHAIN ST EUNAN'S College lifted the MacLarnon Cup in an historic St Patrick's Day derby final against Coláistí Inis Eoghain in Armagh today.
The excellent Niall O'Donnell won a crucial penalty in the dying embers of the game before adding a point himself to see the Letterkenny college […]
- SPILLANE BLAMES MCGUINNESS FOR DONEGAL NOT WINNING ALL-IRELAND RTE commentator Pat Spillane has admitted Donegal could have won this year’s All Ireland title – and blames Jim McGuinness for not doing so!
The former Kerry great said McGuinness did not use the likes of Michael Murphy and Colm McFadden to the best of their ability.
- DONEGAL TEAM TAKE TO THE SKIES FOR CORK GAME – PICTURE EXCLUSIVE
The Donegal GAA team left the county in style this morning as they took a specially-chartered plane to Cork for the National League game against the Rebels tonight.
The team were given a great send-off by fans and staff at Donegal Airport at Carrickfin.
The team looked casual […]
- DONEGAL STARS KEEP CARDS CLOSE TO THEIR CHEST AHEAD OF BIG GAME! Donegal boss Jim McGuinness is unlikely to be showing his hand before next Sunday’s All-Ireland final.
And he's also unlikely to shuffle the pack!
But that didn’t stop his players from putting on their poker faces last night.
The picture was taken as the players complete a […]
- DONEGAL IN DOGFIGHT TO PLAY TOP-FLIGHT FOOTBALL NEXT SEASON Donegal fans will hope that Armagh aren’t on top form when they come to Ballybofey today.
Nothing but a win for Jim McGuinness’ side will guarantee them First Division football next season.
Of course Donegal fans don’t need to be told they cannot rely on Michael Murphy to fire them […]
- NO HEATWAVE BUT MCGUINNESS’ MEN TURN UP HEAT IN ULSTER CHAMPIONSHIP TITLE RACE GAA fans from across the county may just be looking forward to a long summer on the road after Jim McGuinness’ team impressed once more again today.
Donegal brushed aside the challenge of Cavan in poor conditions at Breffni Park on a scoreline of 2-14 to 1-8.
Just under 10,000 fans […]
- VICTORY! DONEGAL TO DEFEND ULSTER TITLE AGAINST TYRONE IN BALLYBOFEY
THE Donegal County Board has scored a significant victory tonight - Donegal WILL begin the defence of their Ulster title against Tyrone in BALLYBOFEY!
The move was ratified by the Ulster council after repair work at MacCumhaill Park upgraded the stadium to meet GAA […]
- BROLLY -“IN BRINGING SUCCESS TO HIS OWN TEAM, MCGUINNESS HAS DESTROYED THE GAME”
Joe Brolly has claimed that in bringing success to his own team, Jim McGuinness has destroyed the game, and says the evidence of this is currently on show in the Donegal SFC.
Brolly was an interested spectator in the Donegal SFC clash between two of the best club sides […]
- COLM McFADDEN NAMED MAN OF THE MATCH – AND SUPERDAD! DONEGAL'S Colm McFadden was named RTE's Man of the Match after his superb display against Down at Breffni Park today....just four days after the birth of his son Matthew.
The St Michael's man scored some wonderful points in the Ulster semi-final win over the Mournemen.
The RTE […]
- DONEGAL BEHIND AT HALF-TIME IN MATCH FOR MICHAELA
Donegal are behind against the Ulster select by 1-6 to 0-4 at half-time in the Match for Michaela at Casement park in Belfast.
Martin Penrose got the goal for Ulster but he admitted at half-time that he was going for a point but managed the goal.
However Penrose expects Donegal […]
- D-DAY AS DONEGAL SET OUT TO BREAK THE ULSTER FINAL HOODOO The hype has stopped. The talking is over. Today is the day when Donegal’s senior footballers will show if they have what it takes to be Ulster Champions.
Opinions differ. Martin McHugh claims Derry have too much as a team. But Paddy Campbell’s reckons it will be the Tirconaill men […]
- DONEGAL ANSWER CRITICS WITH FINE FIRST ROUND DISPLAY TO BRUSH ASIDE CAVAN After a winter of questions, Donegal answered the critics today with a fine performance to suggest last year’s championship run was no flash in the pan.
It may only be the preliminary round of the Ulster Championship but Jim McGuinness’ side put in a fine display at Breffni Park to […]