DONEGAL independent Deputy Thomas Pringle has given an address to the nation, representing the technical group of TDs in Dail Eireann.
And he used the opportunity – broadcast live to the nation just before 6pm – to hit back at Taoiseach Enda Kenny over his broadcast last night.
Deputy Pringle said the country is on its knees and the coalition government’s policies would do nothing to help.
Here is his address in FULL:
Good evening, I am Thomas Pringle, TD Donegal South West representing the Independent Technical Group made up of Independent TD’s and TD’s from the United Left Alliance.
We are a diverse group with many varied ideas but we all have the ability to work together and agree on important decisions on a way forward for the country.
The Taoiseach Enda Kenny in his address last night said ‘you are not responsible’ for the mess we are in… Yet his government insist on making us all pay for the mess. The budget that is now upon us today and tomorrow will make us pay even more – For The Mess We did not create.
Increasing Carbon taxes when thousands of families and elderly people are in fuel poverty. Increasing VAT when retail sales have declined for 44 months in a row. We live in a country that is on its’ knees and inequality is growing year on year and each austerity budget will increase that inequality. The government expect us to suffer at least another three years of these budgets.
The government constantly say that the opposition does not offer solutions. We in the technical group were the first to put mortgage debt on the agenda of the 31st Dail. I along with others submitted proposals to the Minister for Finance that they did not even look at or consider. Is this what the Taoiseach means?
It is said that recessions give an opportunity to change the way things are done. I believe that this opportunity is being lost. It’s more of same…in a different branded package – Pre-election promises not only broken but shattered and this government seems unable to take on board any new ideas or use critical thinking when we are in crisis.
If we only asked higher paid and wealthy people to pay the European average tax rate we could reduce the need for much of the public spending cuts. Opinions like this and those of VAT etc that effect the collective rather than a small select cohort of individuals are constantly shot down as the government seems to prefer to squeeze middle and lower income groups into a state of paralysis.
Reminding us of the 90th anniversary of the signing of the treaty was bad PR spin – I’d say the leaders of 1921 were turning in their graves at that reference and it’s ironic that within a week of the anniversary this Taoiseach will more than likely give that independence away once and for all, as those in Europe look to their own people, our Government doesn’t seem to be focused on ours and when the proposals for integration come from Germany & France the Irish people need to demand a referendum to ensure that there is at least a democratic mandate for the programme.
Telling the people of Ireland last night all the things we already know, lacked substance and what I describe as “Much Ado about Nothing”
Telling the tax payer and the unemployed that challenges are ahead seemed pointless in the extreme – the people know this as they are living it and are facing into “challenges” everyday and instead of listening to the opposition and their ideas the Government seem to be more focused on the Bundesbank than the people of Ireland.
Why perpetuate the pain of the people? It was the Opening Act of a Tragic Trilogy, with the sequels today and tomorrow.
The Address was a pointless and condescending Prologue and Introduction to the Budget and it seemed that the Taoiseach wanted to have “State of the Nation Address” Box Ticked on his list of things to do; it was “Much Ado About Nothing”….yet today and tomorrow every person in this country will have a lot less to make do with.
I thank you for your time.
© 2011 donegaldaily.com, all Rights Reserved
The copying, republication or redistribution of donegaldaily.com Content, including by framing or similar means, is expressly prohibited by law.
Follow us on www.twitter.com/donegaldaily
Follow us on www.facebook.com/donegaldaily
Sell anything on www.donegaldailyclassifieds.com
More from Donegal Daily
- PRINGLE SLAMS GOVERNMENT’S ‘NEGATIVE’ CAMPAIGNING ON REFERENDUM Deputy Thomas Pringle has today expressed his anger at the Government’s negative campaigning on the upcoming referendum, describing their approach as “Machiavellian”.
Speaking at Leaders’ Questions to the Tánaiste on the matter, the Independent TD for Donegal South-West outlined his […]
- ANOTHER NAIL IN THE COFFIN OF IRISH WATER – PRINGLE Yesterday's protest march in Dublin is another nail in the coffin of Irish Water says Independent TD Thomas Pringle.
'What is needed now is for all the opposition parties to join the boycott of water bills' says Pringle.
'If FF and SF joined the boycott it would clearly show […]
- DEPUTY PRINGLE’S WATER BILL LANDS JUST IN TIME – FOR HIM TO BIN! Donegal TD Thomas Pringle has received his first water bill - just in time for him to bin!
The Killybegs-based Independent Deputy received his bill to his home for €64 today.
And the politician said he plans on bringing it to Letterkenny tomorrow for the Bin The Bills […]
- PRINGLE’S LOGIC ON HOUSEHOLD CHARGE COSTS IS BAFFLING – HARTE Senator Jimmy Harte has slammed Deputy Thomas Pringle's claim that €7 million is being spent on collecting the household charge is cynical politics at its worst.
The Labour party politician said the reality is that it is the refusal by non-payment campaign to pay up that is costing […]
- HUGE TURN-OUT AT WEST DONEGAL COMMUNITY FILM NIGHT
A capacity crowd packed out the Dobhar community centre in west Donegal last Saturday night to enjoy the latest film night held by the local community project Alternative Community Cinema.
The evening saw the people who gathered enjoy a sit down meal and musical entertainment by […]
- PRINGLE CALLS FOR WARNING TO FOREIGN NATIONALS AFTER BUNDORAN TRAGEDY Foreign nationals must be warned of the dangers of fishing along Ireland’s coastline, Deputy Thomas Pringle has warned.
Deputy Pringle’s call came after a Polish man was swept to his death from rocks off the coast of Co Donegal on Saturday.
The man, in his 40s, was rescued by the […]
- PLEA FOR URGENT REPAIRS AT DONEGAL GAELSCOIL Gaelscoil na gCeithre Máistri, located in Donegal Town, is housed in 4 prefabs and is in ‘urgent need of repair’ according to Independent TD for Donegal Thomas Pringle.
Pringle was alerted by the Parent’s Association that no support had been received from the Department of […]
- ‘SNEAKY GOVERNMENT USING HOUSE TAX AS EXCUSE FOR CUTS’ – PRINGLE A DONEGAL TD has accused the Government of being "sneaky" - by using the household tax shortfall as an excuse for cutbacks
Independent TD for Donegal South West Thomas Pringle claims the budgets for roads, libraries and housing maintenance in the county had been slashed BEFORE the […]
- JOBS PLAN: TD DOHERTY ACCUSES GOVERNMENT OF ‘PLUCKING FIGURES FROM SKY’ DONEGAL South West TD Pearse Doherty has heavily criticised the Government's Jobs Plan, telling RTE's 'Prime Time' programme that the figures didn't add up.
Deputy Doherty said he agreed with some of the plans put forward by the Government but said targets for 100,000 new jobs had […]
- PRINGLE: BUDGET BY-PASSED LOW PAID WORKERS
INDEPENDENT TD Thomas Pringle has hit out at this week's budget saying the less well-off in society were ignored.
Income supports were not restored while low income workers were left unsupported, said Deputy Pringle.
"Despite cuts in USC, this budget failed to consider the […]
- MEN WHO PAY FOR SEX AT DONEGAL BROTHELS MUST BE CRIMINALISED, SAYS TD DONEGAL TD Thomas Pringle insisted today that the law must be changed to criminalise men who pay prostitutes for sex in the county.
Mr Pringle said he wanted to mark EU Anti-trafficking Day by highlighting the urgent need to criminalise the purchase of sex to put an end to […]
- BUDGET 2013: PEARSE DOHERTY SLAMS GOVERNMENT – HIS SPEECH IN FULL PEARSE DOHERTY has launched a scathing attack on the Government's budget.
The Donegal TD and Sinn Fein Finance spokesman delivered his speech to Dail Eireann in the last few minutes.
This is what he said in full:
Minister, for the last number of weeks people across the state […]
- PRINGLE ATTACKS GOVERNMENT’S ‘ANTI-RURAL’ RECORD IN DONEGAL
Deputy Thomas Pringle attacked the Government’s record in Donegal highlighting increases in fuel and food poverty in the county and blaming it on what he calls are ‘anti-rural policies’ of the Coalition.
Speaking in the Dail, the Independent TD said 31,000 people in the county now […]
- FIANNA FAIL COUNCILLOR ‘TO QUIT PARTY’ OVER ELECTION DECISION SOURCES close to Fianna Fail councillor Brendan Byrne say he will quit the party after it decided not to field a candidate in the Presidential election.
He is expected to make an announcement 'in the next few days' according to close friends.
If he does quit - and the former Mayor […]
- BOOKIES BACK SINN FÉIN AND FIANNA FÁIL TO LAND TWO SEATS EACH – WITH McHUGH TOO!
BOOKMAKERS have issued odds today for the new five-seat Donegal constituency which gives Sinn Fein and Fianna Fail two seats each - with Joe McHugh set to retain his seat for Fine Gael.
If the odds are to be believed it would mean independent Thomas Pringle losing his seat - with […]
- ‘WE SHOULD NOT BE PAYING OFF BANKER’S LOANS’ SAYS DOHERTY AS GOVERNMENT DOES DEAL TO MAKE TAXPAYERS LIABLE BREAKING NEWS: DONEGAL TD Pearse Doherty has hit out a Government plans to pay off the debts of Anglo Irish Bank tonight on a night of drama in Dublin.
Anglo Irish - rebranded the IRBC - has been wound up and a liquidator appointed.
The Government is doing a deal with the European […]
- PLANNING: DONEGAL WILL FACE MAJOR INQUIRY DONEGAL'S planning decisions over the past decade will face a major investigation, Government sources have told donegaldaily.com.
The Labour Party's Minister of State Jan O'Sullivan is understood to favour Donegal as the first of several inquiries.
We understand she believes there […]
- PRINGLE DEMANDS RE-INSTATEMENT OF MEDICAL CARDS NOW DONEGAL TD Thomas Pringle has demanded that the handling of the discretionary medical card review be addressed now and that all those entitled should not be left waiting following the suspension of the review.
“Taking away medical cards from those who rely on them the most is […]
- BRITISH-IRISH ASSEMBLY: DUP POLITICIAN LAUNCHES SCATHING ATTACK ON WIND FARMS A DUP politician from the North today launched a scathing attack on wind farms - saying the people of Ireland don't want them.
MLA Jim Wells was speaking at the meeting of the British-Irish Parliamentary Assembly which is in session at LYIT in Letterkenny today.
A number of […]
- DUNGLOE HOSPITAL ANTE-NATAL CLINIC CLOSED Independent TD Thomas Pringle and his council colleague Cllr Michael Cholm MacGiollaEaspuig have today slammed the Letterkenny General Hospital closure of the antenatal clinic in Dungloe Community Hospital.
'This is a huge blow to west Donegal that heaps added pressure on mothers and […]