DONEGAL independent Deputy Thomas Pringle has given an address to the nation, representing the technical group of TDs in Dail Eireann.
And he used the opportunity – broadcast live to the nation just before 6pm – to hit back at Taoiseach Enda Kenny over his broadcast last night.
Deputy Pringle said the country is on its knees and the coalition government’s policies would do nothing to help.
Here is his address in FULL:
Good evening, I am Thomas Pringle, TD Donegal South West representing the Independent Technical Group made up of Independent TD’s and TD’s from the United Left Alliance.
We are a diverse group with many varied ideas but we all have the ability to work together and agree on important decisions on a way forward for the country.
The Taoiseach Enda Kenny in his address last night said ‘you are not responsible’ for the mess we are in… Yet his government insist on making us all pay for the mess. The budget that is now upon us today and tomorrow will make us pay even more – For The Mess We did not create.
Increasing Carbon taxes when thousands of families and elderly people are in fuel poverty. Increasing VAT when retail sales have declined for 44 months in a row. We live in a country that is on its’ knees and inequality is growing year on year and each austerity budget will increase that inequality. The government expect us to suffer at least another three years of these budgets.
The government constantly say that the opposition does not offer solutions. We in the technical group were the first to put mortgage debt on the agenda of the 31st Dail. I along with others submitted proposals to the Minister for Finance that they did not even look at or consider. Is this what the Taoiseach means?
It is said that recessions give an opportunity to change the way things are done. I believe that this opportunity is being lost. It’s more of same…in a different branded package – Pre-election promises not only broken but shattered and this government seems unable to take on board any new ideas or use critical thinking when we are in crisis.
If we only asked higher paid and wealthy people to pay the European average tax rate we could reduce the need for much of the public spending cuts. Opinions like this and those of VAT etc that effect the collective rather than a small select cohort of individuals are constantly shot down as the government seems to prefer to squeeze middle and lower income groups into a state of paralysis.
Reminding us of the 90th anniversary of the signing of the treaty was bad PR spin – I’d say the leaders of 1921 were turning in their graves at that reference and it’s ironic that within a week of the anniversary this Taoiseach will more than likely give that independence away once and for all, as those in Europe look to their own people, our Government doesn’t seem to be focused on ours and when the proposals for integration come from Germany & France the Irish people need to demand a referendum to ensure that there is at least a democratic mandate for the programme.
Telling the people of Ireland last night all the things we already know, lacked substance and what I describe as “Much Ado about Nothing”
Telling the tax payer and the unemployed that challenges are ahead seemed pointless in the extreme – the people know this as they are living it and are facing into “challenges” everyday and instead of listening to the opposition and their ideas the Government seem to be more focused on the Bundesbank than the people of Ireland.
Why perpetuate the pain of the people? It was the Opening Act of a Tragic Trilogy, with the sequels today and tomorrow.
The Address was a pointless and condescending Prologue and Introduction to the Budget and it seemed that the Taoiseach wanted to have “State of the Nation Address” Box Ticked on his list of things to do; it was “Much Ado About Nothing”….yet today and tomorrow every person in this country will have a lot less to make do with.
I thank you for your time.
© 2011 donegaldaily.com, all Rights Reserved
The copying, republication or redistribution of donegaldaily.com Content, including by framing or similar means, is expressly prohibited by law.
Follow us on www.twitter.com/donegaldaily
Follow us on www.facebook.com/donegaldaily
Sell anything on www.donegaldailyclassifieds.com
More from Donegal Daily
- PRINGLE SAYS HE WILL GO TO JAIL RATHER THAN PAY €100 HOUSEHOLD CHARGE Donegal Dail Deputy Thomas Pringle said he will go to prison rather than pay the €100 Government household charge.
The Killybegs based Independent TD said the tax is a step too far and he will not be paying the latest austerity measure.
And although it does not apply to them, […]
- NOW PRINGLE IS TO ADDRESS THE NATION! Donegal Deputy Thomas Pringle will deliver a live television speech before this evening 6.01 news on RTE in response to the Taoiseach’s Address to the Nation.
The south-west TD’s name was pulled from a hat form the 16 members of the Dail technical group.
Three speeches will be made […]
- TAOISEACH ADDRESSES THE NATION: €2.2B CUTS, €1.6B TAXES, 23,000 JOBS AXED, 50 QUANGOS CUT, Taoiseach Enda Kenny has pre-announced this week's budgets with a series of stiff measures, telling the country about a series of cuts during a TV address tonight.
Mr Kenny said the country is spending €16 billion a year more than it is taking in.
Public spending must be cut by […]
- PRINGLE SLAMS GOVERNMENT’S ‘NEGATIVE’ CAMPAIGNING ON REFERENDUM Deputy Thomas Pringle has today expressed his anger at the Government’s negative campaigning on the upcoming referendum, describing their approach as “Machiavellian”.
Speaking at Leaders’ Questions to the Tánaiste on the matter, the Independent TD for Donegal South-West outlined his […]
- NEW EU RULES WILL KILL OFF FISHING COMMUNITIES – PRINGLE The publication yesterday of the Common Fisheries Policy Proposals for reform will spell the end for the Irish fishing industry and finally kill off our coastal communities, Donegal TD Thomas Pringle said today.
The Killybegs based TD said: "The proposal to privatise fish quotas will […]
- PRINGLE CALLS ON MINISTER TO RETHINK STANCE ON ‘FRACTURING’ IN DONEGAL Independent TD Thomas Pringle has called on the Minister for Communications, Naturals Resources and Agriculture not to grant any licenses for ‘fracturing’ in Donegal until a full investigation is carried out by an independent group.
The Donegal South-West Deputy met with Minister […]
- PRINGLE WELCOMES MINISTER’S PROMISE TO REVIEW INVER BAY FISHING RIGHTS DONEGAL SOUTH WEST TD Thomas Pringle today welcomed a commitment from the Government to examine ways of allowing traditional fishing methods in Inver Bay.
Deputy Pringle has been lobbying on behalf of a number of fishing families who want to fish for sprat and mackerel in the bay […]
- PRINGLE CALLS ON MCBREARTY AND O’NEILL TO RESIGN OVER CANCER SEVICES DEBACLE Donegal TD Thomas Pringle has called on two county councillors to resign in wake of the pulling of cancer services in Co Sligo.
The south-west Deputy said that councilors Frank McBrearty (Lab) and Barry O’Neill (FG) need to explain to voters why they have not resigned.
- ANOTHER NAIL IN THE COFFIN OF IRISH WATER – PRINGLE Yesterday's protest march in Dublin is another nail in the coffin of Irish Water says Independent TD Thomas Pringle.
'What is needed now is for all the opposition parties to join the boycott of water bills' says Pringle.
'If FF and SF joined the boycott it would clearly show […]
- PRINGLE: ‘SEASONAL WORKERS SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED SELF-EMPLOYED’
SEASONAL workers should not be considered self-employed hitting their rights, a Donegal TD has said.
Deputy Thomas Pringle made the call as part of his submission made today on the Study into Zero Hour contracts which found a prevalence of If and When contracts among workers in […]
- SETTING UP BANKS ‘COULD HELP SAVE RURAL POST OFFICES’ – TD Independent TD Thomas Pringle is supporting movies for post offices to provide basic bank accounts at all its branches - helping many of the outlets to survive.
A member of the Joint Committee on Communications, Natural Resources and Agriculture, Deputy Pringle an IPU presentation to […]
- DEPUTY PRINGLE’S WATER BILL LANDS JUST IN TIME – FOR HIM TO BIN! Donegal TD Thomas Pringle has received his first water bill - just in time for him to bin!
The Killybegs-based Independent Deputy received his bill to his home for €64 today.
And the politician said he plans on bringing it to Letterkenny tomorrow for the Bin The Bills […]
- DONEGAL COULD WAIT SIX YEARS FOR BROADBAND – PRINGLE Parts of Donegal may not receive high-speed broadband until 2021.
In a reply to a question submitted to the Minister by Thomas Pringle TD, it was revealed that some parts of the county not get access to high-speed broadband for up to six years.
‘Nearly 50% of the North West Region […]
- PRINGLE CALLS FOR FIBRE BROADBAND FOR EVERY HOUSEHOLD Thomas Pringle TD has called on the government to roll-out fibre broadband to all households in the state.
Speaking on the ESB (Electronic Communications Networks) Bill 2013 yesterday in the Dáil, the Independent TD for Donegal it should be a must.
“This Bill is a progressive […]
- PRINGLE HITS OUT AT HEALTH INSURANCE LEVY INCREASE INDEPENDENT TD Thomas Pringle has hit out at the increase in the health insurance levy which will hit families across Donegal.
"The recent announcement of the 40% increase in the Health Insurance Levy will mean extra costs for customers with private health insurance. This is despite […]
- PRINGLE’S LOGIC ON HOUSEHOLD CHARGE COSTS IS BAFFLING – HARTE Senator Jimmy Harte has slammed Deputy Thomas Pringle's claim that €7 million is being spent on collecting the household charge is cynical politics at its worst.
The Labour party politician said the reality is that it is the refusal by non-payment campaign to pay up that is costing […]
- PRINGLE CALLS FOR FURTHER INCLUSION IN RURAL HACKNEY SERVICE Thomas Pringle TD has expressed concerns regarding the recent proposal for a rural hackney service, insisting that existing hackney licence holders should be allowed to apply or tender for it to work efficiently.
The Donegal TD raised the matter with Minister of State for Transport […]
- MINISTER TO MEET WITH SEASONAL WORKERS IN CO DONEGAL Minister for State Mr. Kevin Humphreys is to meet with seasonal workers in Donegal following concerns raised by Thomas Pringle TD.
The concerns were around seasonal workers accessing social welfare supports.
In the Dáil, Deputy Pringle expressed the problem seasonal workers in […]
- PRINGLE CALLS FOR SUB-REGIONAL ACTION PLAN FOR DONEGAL
Deputy Thomas Pringle has slammed an Action Plan claiming Donegal was pitched with contrasting counties like Louth in order to skew jobs figures for the entire region.
The Deputy says the idea that Donegal and Louth are included under one Action Plan doesn’t make sense.
He said […]
- PRINGLE WITHDRAWS HIS SUPPORT FOR NORRIS’ PRESIDENTIAL BID Donegal TD Thomas Pringle has withdrawn his support for embattled Presidential candidate David Norris.
The Independent Deputy last night revealed he has spoken at length with his supporters about the matter.
And in a brief statement, the Killybegs politician said he had now […]