McHugh called a special meeting – and then led a delegation to meet Taoiseach Enda Kenny as well as Joan Burton.
“We put the case to them – that this had to be reviewed and had to be changed,” said Deputy McHugh.
Under the proposals 16 to 24 year-olds would not be affected if they are currently receiving a disability allowance.
New entrants from 16 would have faced the losing the payments from January 1.
However Deputy McHugh admitted he had received lots of complaints over the issue.
“I have spoken to many parents about this and I cannot stand back and allow these cuts to go ahead. To be fair Joan Burton listened to what we had to say,” said Deputy McHugh.
The Government has confirmed that there would be a review of a decision which, it claimed, had been included in the bail-out deal struck by the last government.
Taoiseach Mr Kenny told reporters today the proposals are now on hold.
“It should not have happened,” said Mr McHugh.
© 2011 donegaldaily.com, all Rights Reserved
The copying, republication or redistribution of donegaldaily.com Content, including by framing or similar means, is expressly prohibited by law.
Follow us on www.twitter.com/donegaldaily
Follow us on www.facebook.com/donegaldaily
Sell anything on www.donegaldailyclassifieds.com