By Sgt Paul Wallace
What can you afford to lose this Christmas?
Remember thieves don’t take holidays!!
You can afford to lose nothing!
▪ Keep a sharp eye on strange vehicles in the vicinity of your farm & elderly neighbours.
▪ Restrict access onto your property; maintain your boundary fences, hedges and walls.
▪ Install a monitored intruder alarm to your home and buildings that are vulnerable.
▪ Lighting – Illuminate areas which are overlooked from your home.
▪ Shopping – Ask at neighbour to look over your property when you are out shopping, (you can also return the favour).
▪ Be careful to lock your shopping/gifts in the boot of your car – remember the elves (oops) the thieves are about.
Mark / Record your Property
▪ Photograph machinery & equipment.
▪ Keep a record of the serial numbers markings on equipment.
▪ Use your unique code and registered number for example Garda/PSNI/IFA Scheme in the Northern Garda Region.
▪ Use overt and covert marking i.e. Obvious and Hidden marking.
▪ Check on older persons over the Christmas & New Year Holiday Periods.
▪ Remember older people love to receive a visit, or telephone call it can be that simple.
▪ Older people in isolated, rural mountainous areas are especially vulnerable at this time of year.
Further Crime Prevention information – www.garda.ie