BE ALERT / Lookout for your Neighbour:
People in the Community are requested to look in at elderly neighbours over the Christmas Holiday period between Christmas & New Year.
This is a time of the year when people residing in rural isolated areas can be left alone having very little community contact due to the absence of delivery vans (bread vans/mobile shops) & postal services.
People in the community (adults & children) are requested to check on elderly neighbours or relatives living in isolated places.
Community Alert / Neighbour Hood Watch.
Local Gardai are requesting persons involved in local Community Alert Neighbour hood watch schemes to make contact people living alone or in isolated rural areas by visiting or at least by telephone.
Please contact the local Garda Crime Prevention Officer to request attendance at the meetings on 074-91-67161.
Leaving keys in vehicles at any time for even a short period is leaving a crime opportunity to persons involved in this activity.
In other cases access has been gained to homes & keys lifted from Kitchen or hall areas without owners being aware until they have heard the sound of the car leaving or until the following morning.
The following advice should be taken on board:
• If you have a garage, use it
• If keys are left on show in the house, Thieves will steal them; keys should be hidden from view.
• Don’t leave doors & windows unlocked in vehicles or houses.
• Don’t leave car keys in prominent places where they are easily found.
• If you have a specific /rare car be aware others may fancy it too.
Manufacturers have designed security features into cars, in locking systems & immobilisers; the only way to start the vehicle is with the specific key.
Therefore it is important for the owner to do their bit !.
A proportion of cars stolen, are fitted with a new identity & sold in other jurisdictions. BE AWARE.
Owners of business premises in the County availing of annual holidays are advised to carry out the following:
• Ensure Intruder alarm systems are checked & operating correctly.
• Check that C.C.T.V systems are operational – cameras capturing images correctly.
• Arrange to have a staff member to check on premises & environs occasionally.
• Report any suspicious occurrences activity promptly to local Gardai.
Just because you live or operate a business in a rural isolated location, it does not mean you will not be a victim of crime.
Finally any person who has noticed any suspicious activity should not hesitate to contact their local 24hour District Headquarters Garda station.
• Letterkenny 074-91-22222 Buncrana 074-93-61555
• Milford 074-91-53114 Ballyshannon 071-98-51102
• Glenties 074-95-51108 Donegal Town 074-97-21021