THIS is the Facebook picture which has landed a leading Co Donegal Fine Gael councillor in trouble – a photo of his wife giving a Nazi salute beside a waxwork model of Adolf Hitler.
Lorraine O’Neill is pictured on her honeymoon this weekend with Fine Gael councillor and RTE producer Barry O’Neill in Rome.
The couple married less than two weeks ago before doing a tour of Europe.
Jewish groups and fellow Facebookers however are furious with the picture – insisting that it causes huge offence.
Cllr O’Neill has now removed the picture, telling friends that it was meant as a bit of craic and not meant to offend anyone.
However donegaldaily.com has been contacted by a number of Facebook friends – all of them condemning the picture.
One of them said: “I was shocked when to see the wife of elected councillor Barry O’Neill posting pictures of herself giving the Nazi salute.
“As you are aware, to simply adopt this gesture is illegal in Germany and Austria and I am personally offended beyond words as I lost ancestors to the Hitler regime.
“On inspection of other pictures, it is clear that Councillor Barry O’Neill took this picture, is this what it has come to? That the actions of one of the worst men in history can be copied and promoted like this? I am sure it is against the terms of usage of facebook too.”
Another Facebook friend with Jewish ancestry said: “I plan to make a complaint to Fine Gael about this. Doesn’t Cllr O’Neill know that gesture symbolises the mass murders of the holocaust.
“It is deeply offensive to everyone, not just Jews.”
Cllr O’Neill was unavailable for comment however a friend told us: “Barry is mortified that the picture which was taken as a bit of fun could be offensive. He would never want to offend anyone.”
Mrs O’Neill – Lorraine McCabe – can be see putting the fingers of her left hand behind the head of the Hitler dummy in the picture.
There is also a picture of Cllr O’Neill, wearing his RTE Radio 1 top, with another waxwork dummy.
The couple married on December 30 and held a reception for more than 350 guests at the Abbey Hotel in Donegal Town.
© 2011 donegaldaily.com, all Rights Reserved
The copying, republication or redistribution of donegaldaily.com Content, including by framing or similar means, is expressly prohibited by law.
Follow us on www.twitter.com/donegaldaily
Follow us on www.facebook.com/donegaldaily
Sell anything on www.donegaldailyclassifieds.com
More from Donegal Daily
- SECOND DONEGAL FINE GAEL COUNCILLOR: ‘IRISH WATER HAS BEEN A SHAMBLES’
ANOTHER Donegal Fine Gael councillor has launched a scathing attack on Irish Water - and says the Government should NOT go ahead with water charges.
Cllr Terence Slowey joined councillors Jimmy Kavanagh and Barry O'Neill in voting for a motion put forward by independent councillor […]
- SHOCK AS FINE GAEL LEADER ON DONEGAL COUNCIL VOTES TO ABOLISH IRISH WATER
FINE Gael is facing a new crisis today - as its Donegal councillors called for a stop to the introduction of water charges.
The leader of the party on Donegal County Council Cllr Barry O'Neill said the introduction of water charges was "a step too far".
Cllr Frank McBrearty had […]
- PRINGLE CALLS ON MCBREARTY AND O’NEILL TO RESIGN OVER CANCER SEVICES DEBACLE Donegal TD Thomas Pringle has called on two county councillors to resign in wake of the pulling of cancer services in Co Sligo.
The south-west Deputy said that councilors Frank McBrearty (Lab) and Barry O’Neill (FG) need to explain to voters why they have not resigned.
- DONEGAL COUNCILLOR CLEARED OF ALLEGED ASSAULT – ON OTHER DONEGAL COUNCILLOR
INDEPENDENT Councillor Frank McBrearty has been cleared of allegations that he assaulted a senior member of Fianna Fail.
The Director of Public Prosecutions has told the former Mayor he has no case to answer - after Cllr Seamus O Domhnaill claimed he had been attacked.
- SINN FEIN NOMINATE PADRAIG Mac LOCHLAINN TO SEANAD
Sinn Féin has nominated Pádraig Mac Lochlainn for the Seanad.
He will contest a seat on the Industrial and Commercial Panel for the party.
Speaking after his nomination, he said he was honoured to have received a Sinn Féin nomination for the Seanad.
"I narrowly lost my Dáil […]
- INDEPENDENT COUNCILLOR JOHN CAMPBELL CHOSEN AS NEW MAYOR OF COUNTY COUNCIL BREAKING NEWS: Independent councillor John Campbell is to be elected the new chairman of Donegal County Council.
An all-party inclusive agreement will see the Mountcharles man elected to the position.
It had been reported that Sinn Fein’s Jack Murray was to be the new chairman but […]
- BOYCOTT THREAT: BROGAN ACCUSES COUNCIL OF EXCLUDING FIANNA FAIL FIANNA Fail tonight warned it will make the work of Donegal County Council "unworkable" by boycotting meetings where their councillors votes are needed to pass policy.
Fianna Fail councillor Ciaran Brogan accused the other parties of being "opportunist" by excluding members of his […]
- PUT UP OR SHUT UP – MAYOR TELLS MCBREARTY TO NAME BOOZING COUNCILLORS THE Mayor of Donegal has challenged Cllr Frank McBrearty to name the councillors he alleges were boozing during an all-day meeting of Donegal County Council.
Cllr Cora Harvey was reacting to the Raphoe councillor’s claims that five councillors were drinking during their lunch-hour at […]
- ELECTION 2016: THE PEOPLE OF DONEGAL DESERVE THE CORRUPTION THEY GET – McBREARTY
Frank McBrearty has launched a blistering attack on the Donegal electorate saying "They deserve all the corruption they get."
The Raphoe-based county councillor has conceded the election after a disappointing early showing.
McBrearty told Donegal Daily he will remain as a […]
- END OF A POLITICAL ERA AS LEADING COUNCILLOR SAYS HE’S STANDING DOWN One of Donegal’s best-known county councillors has signalled his intentions to stand down.
Cllr David Alcorn from Burtonport revealed tonight that he will not stand for election in May.
An emotional Cllr Alcorn revealed his decision at tonight’s Fianna Fail Cumann meeting in […]
- COUNCILLOR SLAMS COLLEAGUE OVER CLAIMS OF INCREASED EXPENSES AS ‘GROSSLY UNTRUE’
Donegal County Councillor Gerry McMonagle has branded claims from a fellow councillor that expenses for elected members have increased year-on-year as ‘false’ and ‘grossly untrue’.
Councillor Gerry McMonagle remarks come following claims made by Cllr Dessie Shiels that expenses […]
- THE CHEQUE MAY BE IN THE ‘POST’ – FROM DONEGAL’S FORGETFUL CANDIDATES
Some election candidates may be feeling a little hard-done-by after the weekend's count.
But the bad news is that candidates could find themselves with a financial headache if they don't remove their posters.
A spokesperson for Donegal County Council confirmed candidates have […]
- ELECTION 2016: ODDS SHORTEN ON PRINGLE TAKING SEAT – AND A FIANNA FAIL/FINE GAEL COALITION
PUNTERS have been splashing the cash on Thomas Pringle - shortening his odds on retaining a seat in Dail Eireann.
The Killybegs politician's odds have shortened as a result, according the BoyleSports.
He has been supported into 1/2 from Evens with Fine Gael’s Joe […]
- MASSIVE CROWD EXPECTED TO ATTEND ‘SAVE OUR HOSPITALS’ MARCH THIS WEEKEND
POLITICS: A massive crowd are expected to attend a march which has been organised in an attempt to stop the impending closure of three Donegal Community Hospitals, and a health dispensary in Dunfanaghy.
Election candidate Tim Jackson has called on people from around Donegal to […]
- UNIONS URGE DONEGAL TDs: ‘VOTE IRISH WATER OUT OF EXISTENCE’ The trade unions affiliated to Right2Water have issued a statement calling on Donegal TDs to vote Irish Water out of existence.
The unions will be reviewing their future involvement in the water charges issue following the election of a new Government.
Commenting, Unite official […]
- CLLR DOHERTY SLAMS CAR INSURANCE PREMIUM HIKES IN DONEGAL
Sinn Féin Councillor Gary Doherty has strongly criticised both the insurance industry and the last Government following reports from Donegal motorists that insurance premiums have risen by as much as 40 per cent in twelve months.
Recent figures released from the CSO’s Consumer […]
- THEY’VE GONE GAA GAA! ANOTHER GAA FIGURE JOINS ELECTION RACE YET ANOTHER GAA figure has joined the council election race - with businessman and Kilcar Seniors manager John McNulty to run for Fine Gael
Fine Gael General Secretary, Tom Curran, has said the Party’s Executive Council is "happy to confirm" to Donegal Daily that Mr John McNuty, […]
- DONEGAL EA COUNT FINISHED – SIX ELECTED Independent candidate John Campbell has been re-elected alongside Fine Gael Councillor Barry O'Neil and Sinn Féin candidate Noel Andrew Jordan.
Shock has been expressed that Fianna Fáil Councillor Brendan Byrne has lost his seat in the Donegal EA.
Independent candidates Niamh […]
- ELECTION 2014: O’NEILL AND McENIFF POLLING STRONG IN DONEGAL The tally has started for the votes in the Donegal electoral area and it shows that Fine Gael’s Barry O’Neill is polling very well.
He is followed closely by veteran Fianna Fail stalwart Sean McEniff with Sinn Fein’s Michael McMahon also polling well.
These tallies come with an […]
- DINNY IS SELECTED TO TAKE ON DONEGAL SW FOR FINE GAEL Unsuccessful Donegal South West byelection candidate Barry O’Neill was not selected by Fine Gael to run in the General Election at a convention last night.
Mr O’Neill (37), an RTÉ sports reporter and producer, was defeated by sitting TD Dinny McGinley (65), following a party ruling at […]