THIS is the Facebook picture which has landed a leading Co Donegal Fine Gael councillor in trouble – a photo of his wife giving a Nazi salute beside a waxwork model of Adolf Hitler.
Lorraine O’Neill is pictured on her honeymoon this weekend with Fine Gael councillor and RTE producer Barry O’Neill in Rome.
The couple married less than two weeks ago before doing a tour of Europe.
Jewish groups and fellow Facebookers however are furious with the picture – insisting that it causes huge offence.
Cllr O’Neill has now removed the picture, telling friends that it was meant as a bit of craic and not meant to offend anyone.
However donegaldaily.com has been contacted by a number of Facebook friends – all of them condemning the picture.
One of them said: “I was shocked when to see the wife of elected councillor Barry O’Neill posting pictures of herself giving the Nazi salute.
“As you are aware, to simply adopt this gesture is illegal in Germany and Austria and I am personally offended beyond words as I lost ancestors to the Hitler regime.
“On inspection of other pictures, it is clear that Councillor Barry O’Neill took this picture, is this what it has come to? That the actions of one of the worst men in history can be copied and promoted like this? I am sure it is against the terms of usage of facebook too.”
Another Facebook friend with Jewish ancestry said: “I plan to make a complaint to Fine Gael about this. Doesn’t Cllr O’Neill know that gesture symbolises the mass murders of the holocaust.
“It is deeply offensive to everyone, not just Jews.”
Cllr O’Neill was unavailable for comment however a friend told us: “Barry is mortified that the picture which was taken as a bit of fun could be offensive. He would never want to offend anyone.”
Mrs O’Neill – Lorraine McCabe – can be see putting the fingers of her left hand behind the head of the Hitler dummy in the picture.
There is also a picture of Cllr O’Neill, wearing his RTE Radio 1 top, with another waxwork dummy.
The couple married on December 30 and held a reception for more than 350 guests at the Abbey Hotel in Donegal Town.
© 2011 donegaldaily.com, all Rights Reserved
The copying, republication or redistribution of donegaldaily.com Content, including by framing or similar means, is expressly prohibited by law.
Follow us on www.twitter.com/donegaldaily
Follow us on www.facebook.com/donegaldaily
Sell anything on www.donegaldailyclassifieds.com
More from Donegal Daily
- SECOND DONEGAL FINE GAEL COUNCILLOR: ‘IRISH WATER HAS BEEN A SHAMBLES’
ANOTHER Donegal Fine Gael councillor has launched a scathing attack on Irish Water - and says the Government should NOT go ahead with water charges.
Cllr Terence Slowey joined councillors Jimmy Kavanagh and Barry O'Neill in voting for a motion put forward by independent councillor […]
- INDEPENDENT COUNCILLOR JOHN CAMPBELL CHOSEN AS NEW MAYOR OF COUNTY COUNCIL BREAKING NEWS: Independent councillor John Campbell is to be elected the new chairman of Donegal County Council.
An all-party inclusive agreement will see the Mountcharles man elected to the position.
It had been reported that Sinn Fein’s Jack Murray was to be the new chairman but […]
- ELECTION 2014: O’NEILL AND McENIFF POLLING STRONG IN DONEGAL The tally has started for the votes in the Donegal electoral area and it shows that Fine Gael’s Barry O’Neill is polling very well.
He is followed closely by veteran Fianna Fail stalwart Sean McEniff with Sinn Fein’s Michael McMahon also polling well.
These tallies come with an […]
- DONEGAL EA COUNT FINISHED – SIX ELECTED Independent candidate John Campbell has been re-elected alongside Fine Gael Councillor Barry O'Neil and Sinn Féin candidate Noel Andrew Jordan.
Shock has been expressed that Fianna Fáil Councillor Brendan Byrne has lost his seat in the Donegal EA.
Independent candidates Niamh […]
- COUNCILLOR SLAMS COLLEAGUE OVER CLAIMS OF INCREASED EXPENSES AS ‘GROSSLY UNTRUE’
Donegal County Councillor Gerry McMonagle has branded claims from a fellow councillor that expenses for elected members have increased year-on-year as ‘false’ and ‘grossly untrue’.
Councillor Gerry McMonagle remarks come following claims made by Cllr Dessie Shiels that expenses […]
- CONGRESSMAN BRENDAN BOYLE, SON OF GLENCOLMCILLE MAN, MEETS THE PRESIDENT
Philadelphia Congressman Brendan Boyle, whose father comes from Glencolmcille welcomed President Barack Obama to his state yesterday afternoon.
Brendan Boyle is a member of the Democratic Party and was recently elected to congress.
Boyle is the Representative for Pennsylvania's […]
- GOVERNMENT ACCUSED AS DONEGAL ELECTION CANDIDATE LANDS QUANGO JOB THE Fine Gael/Labour coalition has been accused of cronyism...just like the last government after a former Donegal election candidate was appointed to a quango.
Siobhan McLaughlin, a Labour candidate here in the past, has been appointed to the board of Pobal.
She is one of more […]
- COUGHLAN’S GOLD-PLATED €225k PAY-OFF AND €104k PENSION PLAN REVEALED SHE may have been a loser in the election but outgoing Tanaiste Mary Coughlan is a winner in the money stakes.
An investigation into the the Frosses woman’s entitlements shows she will walk away with a massive financial package including a huge pension after her 24 years in the […]
- IS KEAVENEY CHOMPING AT THE BIT FOR A RETURN TO POLITICS? She may have been in the paddocks for a while but Donegal’s former Fianna Fail Senator Cecelia Keaveney could be under starter’s order to re-enter politics.
The Moville woman was at Leopardstown Races this week and refused to rule out the possibility of a return to public life.
- RUMBLINGS AGAIN IN DONEGAL FIANNA FAIL AS SINN FEIN SHOW POLL SURGE SENIOR figures within Fianna Fáil in Co Donegal are again questioning the leadership of Micheal Martin after the latest poll showed Sinn Féin surging ahead at the expense of the party.
Mr Martin visited the county at the weekend to address the party faithful.
But one senior member […]
- ELECTION 2011 UPDATE: LARGE TURN-OUT OF UP TO 70% AS POLLS CLOSE VOTING finished last night in Donegal's two constituencies with a large turn-out in both.
Some reports are putting the South West of the county at an average of up to 70% with as much as a 73% turn-out in Kilcar.
The North East of the county is slightly behind but only just with […]
- MAHON REPORT: ‘HEROES OF 1916 BETRAYED BY FIANNA FÁIL CORRUPTION’ – DONEGAL TD SINN FÉIN TD Padraig MacLochlainn has launched a scathing attack on political corruption in Ireland - and a defence of Fianna Fáil grassroots supporters.
Deputy MacLochlainn was speaking in the wake of the damning Mahon Tribunal final report was has left the reputation of ex-Taoiseach […]
- ELECTION EXCLUSIVE: SHOCK AS DARA BLANEY RUNS FOR DONEGAL NORTH EAST EXCLUSIVE: Dara Blaney, the youngest son of the late Neil T Blaney has told donegaldaily.com today why he is to contest the General Election in Donegal North East.
He is a member of the New Vision alliance, as is his brother Eamon Blaney who is contesting the election in Dublin.
- McBREARTY SAYS HE WAS STOPPED FROM THROWING O’DONNELL OUT OF COUNCIL INDEPENDENTS GROUP
INDEPENDENT councillor Frank McBrearty has called for Cllr John O'Donnell to be expelled from the Independents Group on Donegal County Council, claiming some other independents thwarted his attempt to have this done.
And he also wants the Kilmacrennan politician chucked off the […]
- CLLR McMONAGLE SAYS CLLR McBREARTY WAS EXPELLED FOR BEING ‘BELLIGERENT AND DISRESPECTFUL’
Councillor Gerry Mc Monagle has launched a stinging attack on fellow councillor Frank McBrearty following yesterday's controversial Joint-Policing Committee meeting.
Cllr McBrearty was expelled from the meeting after hot-tempered exchanges.
The Raphoe politician claimed he was […]
- BREAKING NEWS: GOVERNMENT SETS UP BODY TO INVESTIGATE CRUMBLING DONEGAL HOMES
BREAKING NEWS: DONEGAL Minister Joe McHugh says he is delighted a special Government panel is to investigate problems in concrete blocks in Donegal.
Paudie Coffey, the Minister with Responsibility for Housing, Planning and Coordination of the Construction 2020 Strategy says he […]
- KAVANAGH TO STAND FOR COUNTY COUNCIL ELECTIONS Letterkenny Town Councillor Jimmy Kavanagh has been selected to go forward for selection for the forthcoming county council elections.
Cllr Kavanagh was selected at a recent meeting of the Michael Collins/Dr.McGinley branch of Fine Gael in Letterkenny.
Cllr. Kavanagh was […]
- JOE McHUGH SELECTED AT FINE GAEL CONVENTION AS RYAN WITHDRAWS Deputy Joe McHugh is to be Fine Gael's only candidate in Co Donegal for the upcoming general election - unless headquarters decide differently.
He was selected at the party's convention in Letterkenny's Radisson Hotel.
It came after the party's local county councillor John Ryan […]
- COUNCIL CALLS SPECIAL MEETING AS FIANNA FAIL BACK DANA DONEGAL County Council has found a way around a nomination bid by Dana, donegaldaily.com can reveal.
It would have been too late for her or David Norris to have been included in next Monday's monthly meeting agenda.
Now Fianna Fail councillors in the county have asked for a special […]
- MCBREARTY – “CANDIDATES RECENT SHOW OF CONCERN OVER POLICING ‘OPPORTUNISTIC’ Independent Councillor for the Stranorlar Electoral Area Cllr Frank McBrearty, has today criticised recent remarks made by some election candidates concerning justice and policing as both ‘strategic and opportunistic’.
The Independent Councillor made the comments after it emerged […]