BREAKING NEWS: Legendary Donegal singer Bridie Gallagher has died.
Ms Gallagher, who inspired many major acts including Daniel O’Donnell and Paul Brady, died at her home in Belfast aged 87.
Ms Gallagher, who was born in Creeslough and known affectionately as The Girl from Donegal, shot to fame in 1956 with her recording of A Mother’s Love’s A Blessing.
She also had a huge hit with her rendition of The Boys From County Armagh.
As well as having her own show on RTE radio, Bridie played London’s Royal Albert Hall, Sydney Opera House and Carnegie Hall in New York.
She also featured in a television documentary about her life before Christmas on UTV called Bridie The Girl From Donegal.
Singer Margo said “It’s just so sad even though I know she wasn’t well of late. I have so many great memories of her.
“I was so happy to be involved in the tribute for Bridie. She touched and influenced so many people. I hope she rests in peace.”
A spokeswoman for the Post Office in Creeslough said they had learned of Ms Gallagher’s death with much sadness overnight and said the entire village had been saddened by the news of her passing.
Her life was tinged with sadness when in 1976 her 21 years old son Peter was killed in a motorbike accident.
“She never really got over that but she just kept going,” said another son Jim.
In July 2010, the people of Creeslough remembered her by unveiling a plaque in her name while Donegal County Council also gave her a civic reception.
More from Donegal Daily
- TV DOCUMENTARY TRIBUTE TO THE GREAT BRIDIE GALLAGHER UTV is set to film a documentary tribute to one of Donegal's most famous singers - the brilliant Bridie Gallagher.
Bridie, known professionally as The Girl from Donegal shot to fame in 1956 with her recording of ‘A Mother’s Love’s a Blessing’.
Picture This Productions are currently […]
- DDTV: BRIDIE GALLAGHER SINGING ‘A MOTHER’S LOVE’S A BLESSING’
DDTV: The great Donegal singer Bridie Gallagher passed away today aged 87.
The performer from Creeslough was an international star.
Here she is seen performing live just under two years ago.
- OUR BRIDIE TO BE LAID TO REST IN HER NATIVE DONEGAL BRIDIE Gallagher, who died yesterday, will be laid to rest in her native Creeslough, her family has said.
The 87-year-old singer was an international star in the 1950s and 1960s and had a career spanning half a century.
Tributes from the world of showbusiness have been pouring in […]
- WOW! THE STUNNING VIEW FROM SINGER RORY’S NEW LANZAROTE BAR!
WITH no summer so far (apart from the odd day) this is a view many of you will pine for...
And it's a view one Donegal man will have to get used to in a couple of weeks' time.
Singer Rory Gallagher is opening a new sports bar in Lanzarote - in Puerto del Carmen.
"We are […]
- HUGE INTEREST IN COMPETITION TO HONOUR ONE OF DONEGAL’S BEST-KNOWN SEAN-NOS SINGERS
Details of one of Ireland's most prestigious sean-nós singing competitions, held in memory of one of Tory Island's greatest ever sean-nós singers, have been announced.
The details of the 2nd Corn Cuimhneacháin Éamoinn Ghráinne sean-nós singing competition were unveiled at a […]
- DDTV: DONEGAL GIRL KAREN KELLY – THE VOICE OF AN ANGEL
HAS this girl got the voice of an angel? We think so...
Karen Kelly is another stunning Co Donegal singer and is one if the 12 finalists in the Audition Vocal Competition run by Full Tilt Studios.
All finalists had just 1 hour to record this version for this stage of […]
- DONEGAL SINGER RORY WINS MEXICAN HOTEL X FACTOR! KILCAR singer Rory Gallagher pretended to be a spark from Dublin - to land the top prize in a hotel 'X Factor' competition.
The Lanzarote-based singer was on holidays in Mexico when he thought he'd be charged a small fortune just for watching a movie.
So he took his revenge by […]
- IS THIS DONEGAL’S MOST DANGEROUS ROAD AFTER NINE ACCIDENTS IN ONE YEAR? PEOPLE living along a stretch of the N56 say it's Donegal's most dangerous road after a shocking NINE accidents there in the past year.
The stretch of road between the Log Cabin Bar and the Drumnaraw Crossroads near Creeslough on the N56 which has been seriously damaged by subsidence […]
- MAN SPEAKS OUT AFTER SURVIVING HORROR CRASH ON DONEGAL’S ‘MOST DANGEROUS ROAD’
A man who was involved in a horror smash on a stretch dubbed 'Donegal's most dangerous road' has revealed how lucky he was to survive the crash.
Aiden Spence was involved in the horrific car crash this time last year on the stretch of the road outside Creeslough.
- OUTRAGE AS DEAD DOGS LEFT ROTTING IN RIVER
A cyclist says he is disgusted that nothing has been done by Donegal County Council after he reported the discovery of two dead dogs in a river more than a week ago.
The man was out walking close to Glenveagh National Park last week when he came across the brutal scene.
- WHY DONEGAL SINGER HAS A VOICE LIKE CHOCOLATE! A Donegal singer is tasting sweet success after being chosen to be the face and sound of chocolate bar Galaxy.
Chanele McGuinness will be the star of the new TV advert for the company's new Duet chocolate bar.
Unsigned singer Chanele, 22, who is from Ballyshannon, is certain to […]
- JUDGE GIVES DISABLED SINGER ONE MORE CHANCE IN DANGEROUS DRIVING DEATH CASE A Co Donegal country and western singer who uses a wheelchair faces jail if he does not complete his community service sentence or get a medical report as to why he cannot do it.
Daniel Coyle, was jailed for four years and disqualified from driving for 20 years after pleading […]
- YOUNG ONE-HANDED DONEGAL GOLFER IS ASTOUNDING THE WORLD OF GOLF
A young golfer from Co Donegal who was born with just one hand is astounding the world of golf.
Creeslough lad Edward O'Reilly, 14, was born with a birth defect which left him with one hand.
But that hasn't stopped him from taking up the game of golf and becoming one of the […]
- DONEGAL VILLAGE DEALT A HAMMER BLOW AS TWO BUSINESSES WOUND UP WITH THE LOSS OF 29 JOBS
Breaking News: Danny Lafferty's battle to save his pub and supermarket business has ended in bitter defeat following today's decision in the high court.
The news comes as an absolute hammer blow to the rural village of Creeslough which will now result in 29 people losing their […]
- SADNESS AS POPULAR ELDERLY LADY DIES IN CREESLOUGH HOUSE FIRE
UPDATE: THERE is sadness and disbelief in Creeslough today after the death in the early hours of this morning of a popular local woman in a house fire.
Fire crews raced to the scene of the blaze before 2am this morning.
The woman, who has been named locally as Josephine Higgs […]
- BREAKING NEWS: CREWS AT SCENE OF CREESLOUGH HOUSE FIRE 2AM BREAKING NEWS: FIRE crews are at the scene of a major house fire near Creeslough.
Flames have been bouncing high into the air from the blaze in the last few minutes at Ballyboes Road, two miles north-east of the village.
Gardaí are assisting fire officers at the scene.
- THE KIDS OF CREESLOUGH ARE CLEANING UP!
When it comes to looking after their local environment, the kids of Creeslough are cleaning up!
This week the children of SN Glasáin, Creeslough carried out a Day of Action against litter.
This will go towards helping them achieve their first Green Flag for Litter and Waste […]
- RED TAPE IS RUINING FARMERS’ LIVELIHOODS IN CREESLOUGH – CLAIM The National Parks and Wildlife Service in Donegal has been slammed amidst claims that they are ruining the livelihoods of farmers in Creeslough.
It follows the destruction of an embankment which had protected the farms of farmers in the area last year.
Donegal County Council had […]
- DELIGHT AND RELIEF AS WORK STARTS ON CREESLOUGH SEA WALL
Work has started to reinstate coastal defences in Creeslough following extensive consultation between both Donegal County Council and the National Parks and Wildlife Service to commence the project.
Cllr Seamus Ó Fearraigh had called for the sea wall to be rebuilt after […]
- COMMUNITY SAYS A HUGE THANK-YOU TO CHIEF ‘MUMMER’ DESMOND!
The Sheephaven Mummers held their "annual mummers dance presentation" in McNulty's Bar, Creeslough, with proceeds going towards the Donegal Hospice and the Oncology ward.
The community had a special appreciation award for King Mummer Desmond Stewart (Woodhill, Dunfanaghy), who, […]