BREAKING NEWS: Legendary Donegal singer Bridie Gallagher has died.
Ms Gallagher, who inspired many major acts including Daniel O’Donnell and Paul Brady, died at her home in Belfast aged 87.
Ms Gallagher, who was born in Creeslough and known affectionately as The Girl from Donegal, shot to fame in 1956 with her recording of A Mother’s Love’s A Blessing.
She also had a huge hit with her rendition of The Boys From County Armagh.
As well as having her own show on RTE radio, Bridie played London’s Royal Albert Hall, Sydney Opera House and Carnegie Hall in New York.
She also featured in a television documentary about her life before Christmas on UTV called Bridie The Girl From Donegal.
Singer Margo said “It’s just so sad even though I know she wasn’t well of late. I have so many great memories of her.
“I was so happy to be involved in the tribute for Bridie. She touched and influenced so many people. I hope she rests in peace.”
A spokeswoman for the Post Office in Creeslough said they had learned of Ms Gallagher’s death with much sadness overnight and said the entire village had been saddened by the news of her passing.
Her life was tinged with sadness when in 1976 her 21 years old son Peter was killed in a motorbike accident.
“She never really got over that but she just kept going,” said another son Jim.
In July 2010, the people of Creeslough remembered her by unveiling a plaque in her name while Donegal County Council also gave her a civic reception.
More from Donegal Daily
- BRIDIE GALLAGHER MAKES A RETURN TO THE STAGE AS SINGER’S DRESSES GIVEN TO LYRIC THEATRE The spirit of the late Bridie Gallagher who was born in Creeslough, who died last year, will make a return to the stage this week.
A collection of dresses worn by the Donegal-born singer, who died at 87, has been donated to the Lyric Theatre.
Bridie Gallagher sang all over the […]
- TV DOCUMENTARY TRIBUTE TO THE GREAT BRIDIE GALLAGHER UTV is set to film a documentary tribute to one of Donegal's most famous singers - the brilliant Bridie Gallagher.
Bridie, known professionally as The Girl from Donegal shot to fame in 1956 with her recording of ‘A Mother’s Love’s a Blessing’.
Picture This Productions are currently […]
- DDTV: BRIDIE GALLAGHER SINGING ‘A MOTHER’S LOVE’S A BLESSING’
DDTV: The great Donegal singer Bridie Gallagher passed away today aged 87.
The performer from Creeslough was an international star.
Here she is seen performing live just under two years ago.
- OUR BRIDIE TO BE LAID TO REST IN HER NATIVE DONEGAL BRIDIE Gallagher, who died yesterday, will be laid to rest in her native Creeslough, her family has said.
The 87-year-old singer was an international star in the 1950s and 1960s and had a career spanning half a century.
Tributes from the world of showbusiness have been pouring in […]
- TOWN TURNS OUT TO SAY FOND FAREWELL TO ‘GIRL FROM DONEGAL’ Almost 500 mourners gathered on a hillside cemetery today to say a fond farewell to renowned singer Bridie Gallagher.
Ms Gallagher, who was called ‘Ireland’s first international popstar’, was buried at Doe Cemetery outside her beloved birthplace of Creeslough in Co Donegal.
A lone […]
- DANIEL’S PROFITS GO THROUGH THE ROOF TO ALMOST €5 MILLION Daniel O’Donnell is singing all the way to the bank after his company almost doubled its profits in the past three years to €4.9 million.
The 50-year-old entertainer has many other interests but this impressive profit relates to his main company.
Returns recently filed by the […]
- DANIEL’S SAD CHRISTMAS HAS A TOUCHING ENDING Daniel O’Donnell has revealed the sadness of spending a first Christmas without his late mother Julia was made a little better by a surprise engagement at his home.
The singer revealed how he returned home from midnight mass in Kincasslagh to a very happy occasion with wife […]
- DANIEL TO SERENADE ROSE OF TRALEE WINNER
DANIEL O'DONNELL has confirmed he will be back on stage next week - at the Rose of Tralee festival.
He will serenade the winning Rose on Tuesday night, he told fans on his website.
Daniel also revealed that while he loves babysitting his newborn granddaughter, he leaves the […]
- DONEGAL DAD BUYS DAUGHTER A PUB FOR HER 21ST BIRTHDAY! A devoted Donegal dad has bought his lucky daughter the ultimate birthday present – a pub!
Seamus Gallagher, 59, has lived in Carlisle in England for the past 24 years.
He wanted to get daughter Bridie a job and a present rolled into one so he bought her a bar in his hometown of […]
- LOVELY OBITUARY TO BRIDIE GALLAGHER – THE GIRL FROM DONEGAL IT was with great sadness that donegaldaily.com announced the death of singer Bridie Gallagher earlier this week.
Tributes continue to pour in for the Girl from Donegal.
There is a lovely obituary chronicling her life in today's Irish Times.
You can read it by clicking […]
- WOW! THE STUNNING VIEW FROM SINGER RORY’S NEW LANZAROTE BAR!
WITH no summer so far (apart from the odd day) this is a view many of you will pine for...
And it's a view one Donegal man will have to get used to in a couple of weeks' time.
Singer Rory Gallagher is opening a new sports bar in Lanzarote - in Puerto del Carmen.
"We are […]
- ‘I DON’T MISS HAVING KIDS’ – DANIEL O’DONNELL Daniel O’Donnell has said he has no regrets about not becoming a father.
The 52 year old star was 38 when he met wife Majella who was 40 and had two children of her own.
But the Kincasslagh-born star says he never worried about not having children of his own.
“I don’t know […]
- DANIEL IS IN THE MONEY AFTER HIS MUSIC FIRM MAKES €2 MILLION PROFIT He's one of the hardest-working and most generous stars in showbusiness.
And now all those long tours and hard work are paying off because Daniel O'Donnell is officially in the money!
An entertainment firm co-owned by the Donegal singer increased its accumulated profits to […]
- HUGE INTEREST IN COMPETITION TO HONOUR ONE OF DONEGAL’S BEST-KNOWN SEAN-NOS SINGERS
Details of one of Ireland's most prestigious sean-nós singing competitions, held in memory of one of Tory Island's greatest ever sean-nós singers, have been announced.
The details of the 2nd Corn Cuimhneacháin Éamoinn Ghráinne sean-nós singing competition were unveiled at a […]
- DDTV: DONEGAL GIRL KAREN KELLY – THE VOICE OF AN ANGEL
HAS this girl got the voice of an angel? We think so...
Karen Kelly is another stunning Co Donegal singer and is one if the 12 finalists in the Audition Vocal Competition run by Full Tilt Studios.
All finalists had just 1 hour to record this version for this stage of […]
- DDTV – SINGER PAUL BRADY TALKS (AND SINGS!) ABOUT HIS LOVE OF DONEGAL!
Singer/songwriter Paul Brady makes no secret of the fact of his love of Donegal.
His version of The Homes of Donegal has won him fans around the world.
And why wouldn't he love Donegal? His father was a teacher in Lifford and the Tyrone man says he often feels more at home than […]
- DONEGAL SINGER RORY WINS MEXICAN HOTEL X FACTOR! KILCAR singer Rory Gallagher pretended to be a spark from Dublin - to land the top prize in a hotel 'X Factor' competition.
The Lanzarote-based singer was on holidays in Mexico when he thought he'd be charged a small fortune just for watching a movie.
So he took his revenge by […]
- IS THIS DONEGAL’S MOST DANGEROUS ROAD AFTER NINE ACCIDENTS IN ONE YEAR? PEOPLE living along a stretch of the N56 say it's Donegal's most dangerous road after a shocking NINE accidents there in the past year.
The stretch of road between the Log Cabin Bar and the Drumnaraw Crossroads near Creeslough on the N56 which has been seriously damaged by subsidence […]
- MAN SPEAKS OUT AFTER SURVIVING HORROR CRASH ON DONEGAL’S ‘MOST DANGEROUS ROAD’
A man who was involved in a horror smash on a stretch dubbed 'Donegal's most dangerous road' has revealed how lucky he was to survive the crash.
Aiden Spence was involved in the horrific car crash this time last year on the stretch of the road outside Creeslough.
- COUNCILLOR DEMANDS WE GIVE THE ROAD TO ‘ABSOLUTE GLUT’ OF ROAD SIGNAGE A Donegal county councillor has slammed the "absolute glut" of signage which has been erected on The N56 road.
Cllr Seamus O Domhnaill said there are no less than 119 signs between Creeslough and Dunfanaghy.
He says Donegal County Council must now take stock of the signs and […]