BRIDIE Gallagher, who died yesterday, will be laid to rest in her native Creeslough, her family has said.
The 87-year-old singer was an international star in the 1950s and 1960s and had a career spanning half a century.
Tributes from the world of showbusiness have been pouring in for the superb singer who moved to Belfast in her 20s to further her career.
She went on to record several hit records and do world tours, playing in all the major venues of Sydney, New York and London.
Bridie’s granddaughter, Teresa Livingstone, who was involved in making of a UTV programme, explained how her grandmother touched the people who heard her sing.
“The most significant part of the journey for me was meeting with her fans in New York who could recall the details of her performances over 50 years later.
“The stories of Irish immigrants and how important her music had been to so many were quite overwhelming to listen to first-hand.
“I had underestimated the effect she had had on so many people but am grateful for having had the opportunity to find out why she was so successful.”
The singer developed serious complications following emergency surgery two weeks ago.
A family statement issued on Monday said she “died peacefully early this morning with her family by her side”.
Her funeral will be held in Belfast, and her final resting place will be in Creeslough in her beloved Donegal.
More from Donegal Daily
- TOWN TURNS OUT TO SAY FOND FAREWELL TO ‘GIRL FROM DONEGAL’ Almost 500 mourners gathered on a hillside cemetery today to say a fond farewell to renowned singer Bridie Gallagher.
Ms Gallagher, who was called ‘Ireland’s first international popstar’, was buried at Doe Cemetery outside her beloved birthplace of Creeslough in Co Donegal.
A lone […]
- BRIDIE GALLAGHER MAKES A RETURN TO THE STAGE AS SINGER’S DRESSES GIVEN TO LYRIC THEATRE The spirit of the late Bridie Gallagher who was born in Creeslough, who died last year, will make a return to the stage this week.
A collection of dresses worn by the Donegal-born singer, who died at 87, has been donated to the Lyric Theatre.
Bridie Gallagher sang all over the […]
- FUNERAL DETAILS: DAVID TO BE LAID TO REST BESIDE HIS MUM DAVID Colhoun will be laid to rest beside his beloved mother this Sunday, his family announced today.
The remains of the 22-year-old were found on Tuesday and Wednesday on the River Foyle, two miles downstream from his home town of Lifford.
Yesterday we reported how the remains […]
- TV DOCUMENTARY TRIBUTE TO THE GREAT BRIDIE GALLAGHER UTV is set to film a documentary tribute to one of Donegal's most famous singers - the brilliant Bridie Gallagher.
Bridie, known professionally as The Girl from Donegal shot to fame in 1956 with her recording of ‘A Mother’s Love’s a Blessing’.
Picture This Productions are currently […]
- SADNESS AS ‘THE GIRL FROM DONEGAL’ BRIDIE GALLAGHER DIES BREAKING NEWS: Legendary Donegal singer Bridie Gallagher has died.
Ms Gallagher, who inspired many major acts including Daniel O’Donnell and Paul Brady, died at her home in Belfast aged 87.
Ms Gallagher, who was born in Creeslough and known affectionately as The Girl from Donegal, […]
- LOVELY OBITUARY TO BRIDIE GALLAGHER – THE GIRL FROM DONEGAL IT was with great sadness that donegaldaily.com announced the death of singer Bridie Gallagher earlier this week.
Tributes continue to pour in for the Girl from Donegal.
There is a lovely obituary chronicling her life in today's Irish Times.
You can read it by clicking […]
- DONEGAL DAD BUYS DAUGHTER A PUB FOR HER 21ST BIRTHDAY! A devoted Donegal dad has bought his lucky daughter the ultimate birthday present – a pub!
Seamus Gallagher, 59, has lived in Carlisle in England for the past 24 years.
He wanted to get daughter Bridie a job and a present rolled into one so he bought her a bar in his hometown of […]
- DDTV: BRIDIE GALLAGHER SINGING ‘A MOTHER’S LOVE’S A BLESSING’
DDTV: The great Donegal singer Bridie Gallagher passed away today aged 87.
The performer from Creeslough was an international star.
Here she is seen performing live just under two years ago.
- DEVASTATED MUM LORRAINE GALLAGHER PAYS TRIBUTE TO HER TRAGIC DAUGHTERS DD EXCLUSIVE: The heartbroken mother of tragic Shannon Gallagher has said her daughters were the “lights of my life.”
In her first interview, devastated Lorraine Gallagher told Donegal Daily she was just numb by her daughter Shannon’s death.
Lorraine, 36, spoke after her eldest […]
- TRAGIC TOMAS TO BE LAID TO REST THIS SUNDAY There will be heart-breaking scenes this Sunday when tragic Ardara man Tomas Maguire will be buried in his hometown.
The 24 year old was killed following a freak traffic accident in Australia on Monday week last.
A huge outpouring of grief in recent days across the county […]
- FINAL LEG OF HEARTBREAKING JOURNEY BEGINS FOR BOYLE FAMILY The final heartbreaking journey for the Boyle family begins today when they take tragic Conor home for burial in his beloved Co Donegal.
The 18 year old, who touched so many lives, lost his battle for life last week after a car crash in London on September 6th.
Conor was […]
- HUNDREDS AT FUNERAL FOR HIT-AND-RUN VICTIM ALAN HUNDREDS of people have attended today's funeral for Alan McSherry, the man killed in a hit and run near Bundoran last Sunday morning.
Mr McSherry's widow Jo walked behind her husband's coffin as it made its way down Bundoran main street this morning on its way to the Star of the Sea […]
- FUNERAL TAKES PLACE TODAY OF MUCH-LOVED LOCAL MUSICIAN The funeral takes place today (SUN) of well-known Letterkenny musician Seamus McShane.
The popular man passed away at the Donegal Hospice on Friday after bravely battling a long illness. He was just 46.
He will be buried following 12 o'clock mass funeral mass at St Eunans […]
- LARGE ATTENDANCE EXPECTED AT FUNERAL OF BERNARD MCGLINCHEY TODAY A large attendance including many people from the political world are expected to attend the funeral of former Senator Bernard McGlinchey.
The 80 year old Fianna Fail stalwart died at his home at Blue Banks, Kilmacrennan on Thursday evening.
He will be buried at the family plot in […]
- COMMUNITY COMES TO A STANDSTILL AS LOCALS SAY GOODBYE TO ‘BEAUTIFUL DIANE’ The community of Annagry came to a complete standstill today as devastated friends and family said a poignant farewell to the late Diane Byrne.
The Star of the Sea Church, Annagry was packed to capacity, with many mourners forced to stand outside the chapel.
Diane's death has […]
- FUNERAL OF TRAGIC SHEENA STEWART TAKES PLACE TODAY The funeral takes place today of mum-of-three Sheena Stewart who was killed in a tragic accident in the early hours of New Year's Day.
The 33 year old is believed to have tripped and fell into the path of an oncoming mini-bus in Ballyshannon at 1.50am on January 1st.
- WARM TRIBUTES PAID TO KILLYBEGS WOMAN BERNIE GUERIN WARM tributes have been paid to Killybegs woman Bernie Guerin, the mother of murdered journalist Veronica Guerin, who was laid to rest yesterday.
Mrs Guerin's daughter was shot dead by criminals in 1996.
Bernie was a native of Donegal and Killybegs and never forgot those […]
- FUNERAL OF TRAGIC LETTERKENNY MAN THIS SUNDAY The funeral takes place on Sunday of the Letterkenny man who died in a tragic car accident in San Francisco.
William McCallion, 42, of Ballyraine Road, was from the well-known McCallion Jewelers family.
His funeral mass with take place at the Church of the Irish Martyrs at 2pm […]
- PRIEST TELLS DONEGAL TO WIN ALL-IRELAND IN MEMORY OF ANDREW The parish priest of Termon has said that Donegal needs no greater incentive to go on and win the All-Ireland than to honour tragic GAA fan Andrew Duffy.
Fr Pat McHugh was speaking today as more than 1,500 people turned up for the funeral of the young farmer who drowned in Dublin last […]
- MORE THAN 1,000 MOURNERS SAY FAREWELL TO HUGH GREEN More than 1,000 people gathered in New Zealand today for the funeral of millionaire Donegal-born businessman Hugh Green.
Mr.Green, 80, was laid to rest after funeral mass at Christ the King Church in the Auckland suburb of Owairka.
Those who attended included family, friends, […]