BRIDIE Gallagher, who died yesterday, will be laid to rest in her native Creeslough, her family has said.
The 87-year-old singer was an international star in the 1950s and 1960s and had a career spanning half a century.
Tributes from the world of showbusiness have been pouring in for the superb singer who moved to Belfast in her 20s to further her career.
She went on to record several hit records and do world tours, playing in all the major venues of Sydney, New York and London.
Bridie’s granddaughter, Teresa Livingstone, who was involved in making of a UTV programme, explained how her grandmother touched the people who heard her sing.
“The most significant part of the journey for me was meeting with her fans in New York who could recall the details of her performances over 50 years later.
“The stories of Irish immigrants and how important her music had been to so many were quite overwhelming to listen to first-hand.
“I had underestimated the effect she had had on so many people but am grateful for having had the opportunity to find out why she was so successful.”
The singer developed serious complications following emergency surgery two weeks ago.
A family statement issued on Monday said she “died peacefully early this morning with her family by her side”.
Her funeral will be held in Belfast, and her final resting place will be in Creeslough in her beloved Donegal.
More from Donegal Daily
- TV DOCUMENTARY TRIBUTE TO THE GREAT BRIDIE GALLAGHER UTV is set to film a documentary tribute to one of Donegal's most famous singers - the brilliant Bridie Gallagher.
Bridie, known professionally as The Girl from Donegal shot to fame in 1956 with her recording of ‘A Mother’s Love’s a Blessing’.
Picture This Productions are currently […]
- SADNESS AS ‘THE GIRL FROM DONEGAL’ BRIDIE GALLAGHER DIES BREAKING NEWS: Legendary Donegal singer Bridie Gallagher has died.
Ms Gallagher, who inspired many major acts including Daniel O’Donnell and Paul Brady, died at her home in Belfast aged 87.
Ms Gallagher, who was born in Creeslough and known affectionately as The Girl from Donegal, […]
- DDTV: BRIDIE GALLAGHER SINGING ‘A MOTHER’S LOVE’S A BLESSING’
DDTV: The great Donegal singer Bridie Gallagher passed away today aged 87.
The performer from Creeslough was an international star.
Here she is seen performing live just under two years ago.
- FINAL LEG OF HEARTBREAKING JOURNEY BEGINS FOR BOYLE FAMILY The final heartbreaking journey for the Boyle family begins today when they take tragic Conor home for burial in his beloved Co Donegal.
The 18 year old, who touched so many lives, lost his battle for life last week after a car crash in London on September 6th.
Conor was […]
- LARGE ATTENDANCE EXPECTED AT FUNERAL OF BERNARD MCGLINCHEY TODAY A large attendance including many people from the political world are expected to attend the funeral of former Senator Bernard McGlinchey.
The 80 year old Fianna Fail stalwart died at his home at Blue Banks, Kilmacrennan on Thursday evening.
He will be buried at the family plot in […]
- COMMUNITY COMES TO A STANDSTILL AS LOCALS SAY GOODBYE TO ‘BEAUTIFUL DIANE’ The community of Annagry came to a complete standstill today as devastated friends and family said a poignant farewell to the late Diane Byrne.
The Star of the Sea Church, Annagry was packed to capacity, with many mourners forced to stand outside the chapel.
Diane's death has […]
- FUNERAL OF TRAGIC SHEENA STEWART TAKES PLACE TODAY The funeral takes place today of mum-of-three Sheena Stewart who was killed in a tragic accident in the early hours of New Year's Day.
The 33 year old is believed to have tripped and fell into the path of an oncoming mini-bus in Ballyshannon at 1.50am on January 1st.
- MORE THAN 1,000 MOURNERS SAY FAREWELL TO HUGH GREEN More than 1,000 people gathered in New Zealand today for the funeral of millionaire Donegal-born businessman Hugh Green.
Mr.Green, 80, was laid to rest after funeral mass at Christ the King Church in the Auckland suburb of Owairka.
Those who attended included family, friends, […]
- TRAGIC GEORGIA TO BE BURIED THIS THURSDAY AS SISTER REMAINS ‘STABLE’ IN HOSPITAL Hundreds of people are expected to to turn out for the funeral of tragic Georgia Doherty (Sadler) which takes place this Thursday.
The 13 year old from Clar in Redcastle will be buried following funeral mass at St. Columba's Church in Drung.
The sports-mad teenager was killed […]
- LITERARY GREAT BRIAN FRIEL IS LAID TO REST ‘AMONGST HIS OWN’ IN GLENTIES
Literary great Brian Friel was buried today on a hillside outside the Co Donegal town where many of his works were set.
The people of Glenties lined the streets to say a final farewell to the playwright who put their town on the world stage with such productions as 'Dancing at […]
- POLITICAL GIANT BERNARD MCGLINCHEY LAID TO REST – PICTURE SPECIAL
A large attendance said a final farewell to one of Donegal’s best known political figures of modern times today.
Bernard McGlinchey received a fitting send-off as a packed St Eunan’s Cathedral remembered a gifted public representative and businessman.
Among those who turned up […]
- TRAGIC DECLAN LED TO HIS FINAL RESTING PLACE
Two large trucks have led tragic Declan Holian to his final resting place today.
The much-loved 30 year old father-of-one was killed instantly when his truck was
in collision with another truck in Co Monaghan on Monday morning last.
Both drivers were killed instantly in the […]
- MESSAGES OF LOVE AND FRIENDSHIP SENT TO THE GRAVE WITH BEAUTIFUL GEORGIA Messages from hundreds of heartbroken family and friends have been taken to the grave of tragic crash victim Georgia Doherty.
The 13 year old Inishowen teenager, who was killed in a car crash in Derry last weekend, was buried following funeral mass at Drung today.
There were […]
- DAD’S MOVING TRIBUTE TO ‘BEAUTIFUL DAUGHTER KYM’
THERE were heartbreaking scenes in the Twin Towns today as hundreds and hundreds of people came out to say goodbye to teenager Kym Harley who died in a road traffic accident on Tuesday.
St Mary's Church, Stranorlar was packed to capacity, with many in attendance forced to stand […]
- DAUGHTER OF TRAGIC COUPLE MAKES PUBLIC PLEA FOR PEOPLE TO GET HELP WITH MENTAL HEALTH PROBLEMS The daughter of a couple tragically killed in their Co Donegal home has pleaded with people with mental health problems to get professional help.
Maureen Cuddihy made a public plea at the funerals of her beloved parents Jimmy, 77 and Kathleen, 73, at the Church of the Sacred Heart […]
- FAMILY OF TRAGIC CONOR HOPE TO BRING HIM HOME SOON The family and friends of tragic Conor Boyle are hoping to know today when they will be able to bring him home to his final resting place in Donegal.
The much-loved 18 year old Loughanure man passed away on Friday night last.
Conor fought bravely to stay alive for two weeks […]
- BERNARD MCGLINCHEY TO BE BURIED ON SUNDAY A huge attendance is expected at the funeral of the late Bernard McGlinchey.
The former FIanna Fail Senator, who died last night aged 80, will be buried following 12 noon funeral mass at St Eunan’s Cathedral this Sunday.
He is reposing at the Eternal Light Chapel of Rest, Mountain […]
- HEARTBREAKING SCENES AS LITTLE JOSHUA IS LAID TO REST
A young couple made their most heartbreaking journey today as they carried the remains of their youngest son into his funeral mass.
Heartbroken Alex Coyle and partner Suzanna Mangan held tightly onto a little white coffin carrying their 22 month old beloved son Joshua.
- HEARTBREAKING SCENES AS TRAGIC OISIN IS LAID TO REST THERE were heartbreaking scenes in the village of St Johnston today as hundreds and hundreds of mourners paid their respects at the funeral of popular local man Oisin Crawford, the man killed after taking ecstasy on Monday.
The 22-year-old was one of five people affected by a […]
- HUNDREDS OF MOURNERS IN TRIBUTE TO ‘BRILLIANT’ BRENDAN RYAN
HUNDREDS of mourners have paid tributes today to Brendan Ryan, the Donegal boxing legend, dad and husband who passed away earlier his week.
St Eunan's in Raphoe was packed to capacity as people came from near and far to pay their respects.
It was a fitting tribute to a man who […]