The sister of murdered Donegal County Councillor Eddie Fullerton has written an open letter to Fine Gael Deputy Joe McHugh following his party’s plans to commemorate the 100th Anniversary of the Ulster Covenant.
In the letter to Donegaldaily.com, Eileen Doherty accuses Fine Gael of snubbing the unveiling of a memorial to the dead Sinn Fein councillor last year. This is her letter in full.
I wish to respond to a public statement made by my local Fine Gael TD, Joe McHugh, in which he called for a taxpayer funded commemoration to mark the centenary of the founding of the unionist paramilitary organisation, the Ulster Volunteer Force (UVF) in 1912.
From the outset, I wish to acknowledge the right of the different traditions on this island to mark events of historical significance and to commemorate loved ones who were killed as a result of conflict.
It is my firm belief that this right should be supported by all public representatives.
However – as the sibling of one of the many murder victims of unionist paramilitaries, Cllr Eddie Fullerton – I feel extremely let down by Deputy McHugh who remained silent as his party colleagues in Buncrana vehemently opposed the prominent location of the Eddie Fullerton memorial stone.
Deputy McHugh and his elected party colleagues also then snubbed the stone’s unveiling in May last year, marking the 20th anniversary of Eddie’s murder. The event was attended by hundreds of local people who wished to remember Eddie; a long-standing member of both Donegal County Council and Buncrana Urban District Council.
I simply cannot understand Deputy McHugh’s determination to commemorate the founding of a paramilitary organisation which was responsible for horrific murders like those carried out by the Shankill Butchers and indiscriminate attacks such as the Dublin & Monaghan bombings, while his party opposed and snubbed Eddie Fullerton’s commemorative events.
If Joe McHugh is as resolute to contribute to a shared future as he claims, then he should recognise that the victims of unionist paramilitary violence have as much of a right to be remembered as the organisations who killed them.
Is mise le meas
Eileen Doherty, Buncrana
(Sister of the late Cllr Eddie Fullerton)
More from Donegal Daily
- DEPUTY MCHUGH RESPONDS TO SISTER OF MURDERED COUNCILLOR’S OPEN LETTER The sister of murdered Sinn Fein County Councillor Eddie Fullerton today wrote an open letter to Deputy Joe McHugh concerning his party's plans to commemorate the 100th anniversary of the Ulster Covenant.
Here, Deputy McHugh responds to Eileen Doherty's letter. Deputy McHugh's letter […]
- DONEGAL TO GET €20 MILLION INVESTMENT FOR ROAD IMPROVEMENT WORKS
Fine Gael Minister Joe McHugh TD, has today welcomed the news that over €20 million has been allocated to Donegal for road improvement and maintenance works.
The funding is part of a €298 million national investment programme for 2016 for regional and local roads.
McHugh said, […]
- JOE McHUGH SELECTED AT FINE GAEL CONVENTION AS RYAN WITHDRAWS Deputy Joe McHugh is to be Fine Gael's only candidate in Co Donegal for the upcoming general election - unless headquarters decide differently.
He was selected at the party's convention in Letterkenny's Radisson Hotel.
It came after the party's local county councillor John Ryan […]
- “HERITAGE PROJECTS IN DONEGAL TO GET €50,000 IN FUNDING” – MINISTER MCHUGH
POLITICS: Fine Gael Minister of State Joe McHugh TD has welcomed funding of €50,000 for eight heritage projects in Co. Donegal.
“This funding announced today by the Minister for Arts, Heritage and the Gaeltacht, Heather Humphreys is a great boost for heritage projects in […]
- FINE GAEL TURN TO AUCTIONEER KEITH FOR GENERAL ELECTION
Exclusive: FINE Gael want well-known and popular auctioneer Keith Anderson to run for the party in the General Election after Paddy Harte Jnr was RULED OUT of the race.
Mr Anderson, based in Donegal Town, is said to be thinking about the offer which was made by local party […]
- DONEGAL SCHOOL GRANTED €58K FOR NEW ASTRO TURF PITCH
Minister of State for Gaeltacht Affairs Joe McHugh has announced a grant of €57,954 for the Board of Management at Scoil an tSratha Mhóír, Stramore, to help them develop an astro-turf pitch.
Announcing the grant, Minister McHugh said he was making this grant available on the […]
- ELECTION 2014: FINE GAEL TAKE HAMMERING IN INISHOWEN FINE Gael are in trouble in Inishowen, according to tallies from the main parties.
Sinn Fein's Jack Murray and Ciaran McLaughlin are looking certain to take two seats, with Albert Doherty battling with Fine Gael's John Ryan for the last seat.
Fianna Fail's Martin McDermott will […]
- SINN FÉIN NOW SECOND BIGGEST PARTY AFTER SHOCK SUNDAY INDEPENDENT POLL
SUPPORT for Sinn Fein and Independents has surged in a shock new poll tonight.
The party is now the second most popular in the country after the poll for this weekend's Sunday Independent.
Fine Gael are on 27%, Sinn Fein is on 22%, Fianna Fail are on 21% while Labour has […]
- BOOKIES BACK SINN FÉIN AND FIANNA FÁIL TO LAND TWO SEATS EACH – WITH McHUGH TOO!
BOOKMAKERS have issued odds today for the new five-seat Donegal constituency which gives Sinn Fein and Fianna Fail two seats each - with Joe McHugh set to retain his seat for Fine Gael.
If the odds are to be believed it would mean independent Thomas Pringle losing his seat - with […]
- OPINION POLL: PAT THE COPE LEADS, SINN FÉIN LOOKING GOOD AND FINE GAEL TAKING A BASHING
OPINION POLL: Donegal Daily's General Election poll has got tongues wagging all over Donegal - as the electorate get their first chance to show how they will vote.
The General Election will take place on February 26th - and political forecasters are saying it's one of the hardest […]
- €7,500 FOR CAUSEWAY WORKS ON ISLAND ROY, DOWNINGS €7,500 sanctioned for repair works to the causeway on Oileán an Bhráighe
The Minister of State for Gaeltacht Affairs, Joe McHugh announced today that he has sanctioned a grant of €7,500 for repair works to be carried out on the causeway on Oileán an Bhráighe.
With the help of a […]
- FINE GAEL MEET TO ADDRESS KEY ISSUES ACROSS INISHOWEN Fine Gael in Inishowen have held one of their largest District Meetings in many years.
A number of key issues were discussed at the meeting.
Minister of State, Joe McHugh, attended the meeting and here he outlines the issues he says are being addressed locally on the […]
- GE2016: RTE PROVES FINE GAEL AND FIANNA FAIL PLANS IN TATTERS, SAYS PEARSE DOHERTY
Sinn Féin Finance spokesperson Pearse Doherty has said that the election campaigns of Fine Gael, Labour and Fianna Fail are in tatters after they have all been caught spoofing on their figures and were exposed by Sinn Féin.
Deputy Doherty said each of these parties have made […]
- JOE McHUGH: ‘TIME TO NAIL LIES OVER SEPTIC TANK LEGISLATION’ DONEGAL Deputy Joe McHugh TD has his out over the debate on septic tank legislation - saying it was "time to put the record straight."
In a no-nonsense statement the Fine Gael deputy said that "untrue information put out by some politicians", and Ireland’s longstanding record of being […]
- FINE GAEL TO ADD WOMAN TO TICKET IN DONEGAL BUT WHAT ABOUT HARTE?
Fine Gael has agreed to add four female candidates to its general election ticket to ensure it meets gender quotas - one of them from Co Donegal.
The Irish Times today reports that the party’s executive council also agreed to add two more female candidates in Cork North Central […]
- RnaG POLL SHOCK: FIANNA FAIL AND FINE GAEL ‘STRUGGLING’
A NEW analysis by Radio na Gaeltachta at Derrybeg of a number of party opinion polls as the year ended has thrown up a number of new challenges, especially for Fine Gael and Fianna Fail.
By John McAteer, Tirconaill Tribune
The latest analyses comes after a number of political […]
- McHUGH WELCOMES HARTE TO TICKET – BUT PARTY IN TURMOIL
SITTING TD Joe McHugh has officially welcomed the addition of Paddy Harte Jnr to the Fine Gael election ticket, but senior party officials say the decision could cost the party both of their seats at the General Election.
In a statement released by his press team tonight Minister […]
- McHUGH: 300 EXTRA IDA JOBS IN DONEGAL LAST YEAR
Fine Gael Minister Joe McHugh TD, has welcomed employment figures for Donegal released this week by the IDA, saying that continued job creation will help with the recovery in Donegal.
“In Donegal there were 2,918 employed in 12 companies supported by the Department of Jobs through […]
- McHUGH ARRANGES CROSS-BORDER MEETINGS IN BATTLE TO BEAT FINN FLOODS
AUTHORITIES north and south are to meet in a bid to battle the floods which caused havoc along the Finn on both sides of the border last month.
Fine Gael Minister Joe McHugh will be meeting with the OPW and other authorities in Dublin next week - and wants to meet Northern […]
- GE2016: FINE GAEL ‘COOKING THE BOOKS’ SAYS PEARSE DOHERTY
Sinn Féin Finance Spokesperson Pearse Doherty has said that “Fine Gael has been caught out cooking the books to inflate their spending plans”.
The Donegal candidate went on to say that it is not good enough for Fine Gael to force our public services to rely upon a gamble that the […]