But many county councillors say it is essential that they spend time at conferences.
And next Monday at Donegal County Council’s monthly meeting, councillors will decide on a raft of latest invites from all over the country.
They range from ‘media training’ for councillors in Co Clare to one conference in Maynooth which asks if local government reform is myth or reality.
Councillors will decide on Monday who, if anyone, will go to the conferences.
There is one they can go to at little cost – it’s at the Silver Tassie Hotel in Letterkenny.
The full list is below:
• The Institute of Professional Training – Media 2012 Training and Communications for Councillors to be held Friday 2nd and Saturday 3rd March, 2012 at the Ennis Business College, Ennis, Co. Clare.
• Regional Studies Association Irish Branch – Local Government Reform Myth or Reality to be held Thursday 8th March, 2012 at the Renehan Hall, NUI Maynooth.
• Tgr Seminars – Training and Development Workshop for Councillors – Six Strategies to Take Charge of 2012 to be held Friday 9th to Sunday 11th March, 2012 at theMaldron Hotel, Portlaoise, Midway, Abbeyleix Road,
Portlaoise, Co Laois. • Tgr Seminars – Training and Development Workshop
for Councillors, Effective Time and Priority Management, to be held Friday 23rd to Sunday 25th March, 2012 at the Ravensdale Suite, Carrickdale Hotel, Carrickarnon, Dundalk, Co. Louth.
• The Institute of Professional Training – “Amalgamations and Reforms in Local Govt.” to be held Friday 23rd to Sunday 25th March, 2012 at the Silver Tassie Hotel, Letterkenny.
• Eures Cross Border Partnership Tourism Conference – What it takes to succeed in the Tourism Sector to be held Wednesday 28th March, 2012 at Ballymascanlon House Hotel, Dundalk, Co. Louth.
• Atlantic Conference 2012 to be held Thursday 29th March, 2012 at the Tullamore Court Hotel, O’Moore Street, Tullamore, Co Offaly.
• Local Authority Members Association – Spring Seminar Friday 13th and Saturday 14th April, 2012 at the Tower Hotel, Waterford.