Up to 1,000 protesters including children and members of the clergy staged a protest march to Junior Minister Dinny McGinley’s office in Bunbeg.
There was no sign of the Minister but the crowd let it be known that they will not stand by and watch teachers be cut from small schools across Donegal.
Among those who spoke at today’s uplifting protest rally was Fr Sean Gallagher, PP of Gortahork as well as local teachers Cathal O’Fearraigh and Daithi Roberts.
Parents and children travelled form across the county waving placards.
Many of the placards revealed where the protesters had travelled from including
Gartan, Arranmore, Glenties, Cloughaneely and across the Rosses.
PICTURES BY KIND PERMISSION OF EOIN MCGARVEY
More from Donegal Daily
- PROTESTORS HOPE GOVERNMENT U-TURN WON’T DAMPEN SATURDAY’S DONEGAL WATER PROTESTS ANTI-Irish Water protestors take to the streets of Donegal again tomorrow - not knowing just yet how forced Government u-turn has affected the appetite for further widespread protests. There will be protests on Saturday afternoon in Letterkenny, Carndonagh, Ballybofey Castlefinn and […]
- REVEALED: IRISH WATER WORKERS SICK JIBES AT HOMEOWNERS AS THOUSANDS SET TO PROTEST EXCLUSIVE: Some workers with Irish Water have posted sick messages about their work online - just as thousands take to the streets of Donegal today. Protestors will meet at venues across Donegal this afternoon with Government parties keeping a close eye on developments hoping that […]
- MAC GIOLLA EASBUIG – “PERFECT OPPORTUNITY FOR TRADE UNIONS TO CALL A GENERAL STRIKE” Michael Cholm Mac Giolla Easbuig has said now is the perfect opportunity for Trade Union leaders to call a general strike. The Independent county councillor is in Dublin to take part in the national demonstration against the water charges the Government are attempting to […]
- DONEGAL ORGANISATIONS RECEIVE LOTTO FUNDING BOOST Deputy Dinny McGinley has welcomed the National Lottery Grants that have been given to a number of Donegal organisations to improve the facilities and services they offer. Deputy McGinley was informed by Leo Varadkar, TD, Minister for Health that a number of Donegal organisations […]
- GARDAI INVESTIGATION INTO LASER AT AIRPORT ‘ONGOING’ Gardai have confirmed their investigation into a laser attack at Donegal Airport is ongoing. Donegal Daily revealed on Monday how a flight from Dublin to Carrickfin on Monday evening was targeted as it attempted to land. A Garda spokesman confirmed last night that the investigation […]
- COUNCILLOR DEMANDS POLITICIANS WRITE TO 17,146 DONEGAL PENSIONERS ‘BETRAYED BY PHONE CUT’ A Donegal county councillor has demanded Deputy Joe McHugh, Dinny McGinley and Senator Jimmy Harte write to 17,146 elderly people explaining why their phone allowances have been cut. Sinn Fein councillor Mick Quinn accused the Government politicians of supporting the isolation of […]
- TD TO STAND DOWN: DEIMHNITHE AG DINNY McGINLEY NACH RITHFIDH SÉ SAN OLLTOGHCHÁN Dheimhnigh an Teachta Dála Dinny McGinley ar Bharrscéalta ar RTÉ Raidió na Gaeltachta inniu nach mbeidh sé ag seasamh san Olltoghchán. Dúirt sé, cé go raibh sé ráite aige le os cionn bliana nach rithfeadh sé, gur tháinig brú air le tamall anuas dhul siar ar an gcinneadh sin, ach […]
- SADNESS AS WELL-KNOWN DONEGAL HOTEL CLOSES WITH LOSS OF 35 JOBS BREAKING NEWS: A well-known Donegal hotel has closed with the loss of up to 35 jobs. The owner of the Seaview Hotel in Gaoth Dobhair, Mr Jimmy Boyle, confirmed to Donegal Daily that the hotel has closed with immediate effect. The company trading as the Seaview Hotel, Boyle […]
- FAMOUS BOAT FROM CLANNAD/BONO VIDEO MAY HAVE TO BE REMOVED A famous boat which featured in a U2 and Clannad video could be removed from a Donegal beach. The boat, Bad Eddie, washed up on the beach at Magheraclogher in West Donegal in the 1970s. The wrecked vessel featured in a video for Claand's famous 'In A Lifetime' video in […]
- DONEGAL TD IN MOURNING AFTER DEATH OF BROTHER Donegal Deputy Dinny McGinley is in mourning following the death of his brother Charlie. Mr McGinley, a former teacher, passed away at his home in Dublin following a short illness.
- TAOISEACH PAYS TRIBUTE TO DINNY McGINLEY AFTER 33 YEARS AS TD Taoiseach Enda Kenny has paid tribute to Fine Gael TD for Donegal South-West, Dinny McGinley who , after 33 years as a TD, has announced that he will not be running in the next general election. “Dinny’s decision to stand down at the end of this Dáil term represents the end of an era […]
- DINNY MCGINLEY WELCOMES MUCH NEEDED FUNDING FOR HARBOUR DEVELOPMENTS IN DONEGAL Dinny McGinley , Minister of State at the Department of Arts, Heritage and the Gaeltacht, has welcomed confirmation that funding has been made available for €131,250 harbour developments in his constituency in County Donegal. A total of €131,250 is being allocated by the Department […]
- FEARS OVER POSSIBLE CLOSURE OF BUNBEG POST OFFICE An Post have today confirmed fears among locals in Gweedore that the potential threat of closure of the post office in Bunbeg now looks imminent. Gweedore, community activist and Sinn Féin local election candidate, John Sheamais O’Fearraigh said the threatened closure was another in […]
- ARRANMORE ISLAND TO GET ITS OWN AMBULANCE SERVICE Islanders on Arranmore are to get their own ambulance service in time for Christmas. Fine Gael Minister of State Joe McHugh TD, “Following a conversation with the Office of the Department of Health this afternoon, I wish to confirm that Aranmore will receive an ambulance later this […]
- SCHOOL CUTS: DONEGAL SCHOOLS ‘PUT BACK 18 YEARS’ BY AUSTERITY, SAYS HARKIN THE extent of cuts to Co Donegal schools has driven MEP Marian Harkin to accuse the Government of targeting children in their cuts - with one principal telling her that those cuts are putting education back 18 years in the county. Ms Harkin was speaking to donegaldaily.com last night […]
- CALLING ALL TEACHERS – STUDY A MASTERS OF ARTS IN LEARNING AND TEACHING AT LYIT The LYIT is launching its second offering of its highly successful Masters of Arts in Learning and Teaching. The Head of Department of Law and Humanities at LYIT, Anne Burke said teaching is one of the most demanding yet rewarding and important professions. "Tailor-made Masters […]
- GOVERNMENT ‘TARGETING DONEGAL GAELTACHT & PROTESTANT SCHOOLS’ FOR CLOSURE – SENATOR Fianna Fáil Senator Brian Ó Domhnaill has condemned the Government’s covert attempts to force the closure of small schools in communities across Co Donegal and in Gaeltacht schools in particular. Fianna Fáil will tonight move a Dáil motion exposing and objecting to the sweeping cuts […]
- ST EUNAN’S COLLEGE CROWNED MacLARNON CUP CHAMPS AFTER DERBY WIN OVER INIS EOGHAIN ST EUNAN'S College lifted the MacLarnon Cup in an historic St Patrick's Day derby final against Coláistí Inis Eoghain in Armagh today. The excellent Niall O'Donnell won a crucial penalty in the dying embers of the game before adding a point himself to see the Letterkenny college […]
- MCGINLEY TO BE NEW GAELTACHT MINISTER BUT DEPARTMENT TO BE REORGANISED VETERAN West Donegal TD Dinny McGinley is being tipped to become the Government’s new Minister for Gaeltacht Affairs when the new Cabinet is announced tomorrow. However it’s not all good news as Fine Gael look set to downgrade the actual department of Social, Community and Rural […]
- GOVT ENGAGED IN COVERT ATTACK ON DONEGAL SCHOOLS – McCONALOGUE Fianna Fáil’s Education Spokesperson Charlie McConalogue has said there is a mounting threat to the future of small schools in Co Donegal as the Government continues to sit on a report which could determine their future. In response to questions from Deputy McConalogue in the […]