Up to 1,000 protesters including children and members of the clergy staged a protest march to Junior Minister Dinny McGinley’s office in Bunbeg.
There was no sign of the Minister but the crowd let it be known that they will not stand by and watch teachers be cut from small schools across Donegal.
Among those who spoke at today’s uplifting protest rally was Fr Sean Gallagher, PP of Gortahork as well as local teachers Cathal O’Fearraigh and Daithi Roberts.
Parents and children travelled form across the county waving placards.
Many of the placards revealed where the protesters had travelled from including
Gartan, Arranmore, Glenties, Cloughaneely and across the Rosses.
PICTURES BY KIND PERMISSION OF EOIN MCGARVEY
More from Donegal Daily
- THOUSANDS EXPECTED FOR DAY OF PROTESTS ACROSS DONEGAL TODAY Thousands of people are expected to turn out at protests across the county today to voice their opposition to the latest taxes, levies and austerity cuts. The protest will include campaigners from Can’t Pay Won’t Pay, Donegal Action for Cancer Care, Forum for Change, the JML Diesel […]
- THEY’RE HERE! WATER METER CONTRACTORS MOVE INTO DONEGAL ESTATE BREAKING NEWS: THE first water meter contractors have arrived in Co Donegal this evening. They moved into Ballybofey this afternoon and continued to work after dusk. They were still working a short time ago. The crews - from GMC Sierra - have so far worked unhindered in the […]
- 200 ATTEND MEETING TO DISCUSS CUTS TO SMALL DONEGAL SCHOOLS Around 200 parents, teachers and members of the community have attended a public meeting in Carndonagh to voice their concerns about severe cuts to small schools and the growing threat of forced amalgamations. The meeting, organised by local TD and Fianna Fáil Spokesperson on […]
- SAY NO TO SCHOOL CUTS IN DONEGAL – McCONALOGUE Fianna Fáil is holding two public meetings in Donegal next week as part of its campaign to stop the cuts to small rural schools. The first meeting takes place at 8pm in Friel’s Hotel in Raphoe next Tuesday (18th March) and the second is in the Milford Inn in Milford next Thursday […]
- ONE OF TWO ARRESTED IN SUSPECTED PAEDO RING IS FORMER SCHOOL WORKER One of two men arrested in connection with an alleged paedophile ring in West Donegal is a former school worker. The man, who cannot be named, was arrested along with another suspect at their homes in Crolly and Bunbeg on Monday morning. Gardai arrived at the homes in the early […]
- DINNY MCGINLEY’S TRANSPORT COSTS WERE €126,414 LAST YEAR Minister of State Dinny McGinley's transport costs came to a total of €126,414 last year. The Donegal Junior Minister, along with his immediate senior Minister Jimmy Deenihan, claimed the most amount of travel and allowance amongst Ministers. The average claim amongst Ministers was […]
- WATER TAXES CAMPAIGNERS VOW TO HALT METER MEN ANTI-water taxes campaigners say they will launch a series of 'rolling pickets' across Donegal as contractors began installing meters in several towns. GMC Sierra - the Irish Water sub-contractor - has sent teams of men into Stranorlar, Lifford, Ballybofey and Donegal Town to instal […]
- PROTESTORS HOPE GOVERNMENT U-TURN WON’T DAMPEN SATURDAY’S DONEGAL WATER PROTESTS ANTI-Irish Water protestors take to the streets of Donegal again tomorrow - not knowing just yet how forced Government u-turn has affected the appetite for further widespread protests. There will be protests on Saturday afternoon in Letterkenny, Carndonagh, Ballybofey Castlefinn and […]
- NOT PAYING THE WATER CHARGES IS THE ONLY WAY TO SEND OUT MESSAGE TO GOVERNMENT – McBREARTY The Donegal Independent county councillor who set down a motion calling on the Government to abolish water charges says blocking water meters and other protests is not the answer. Councillor Frank McBrearty said people must stand firm if they are serious about not paying for their […]
- THREE INJURED AFTER HEAD-ON SMASH BREAKING NEWS: This is the horrific scene after a two car collision in West Donegal this evening. It appears that two cars, believed to be a silver Mercedes and a red Volkswagen Bora, collided head-on at Middle Dore, Bunbeg. An ambulance rushed to the scene and was there just […]
- KILLYBEGS COASTGUARD STATION GETS GREEN LIGHT – WORK BEGINS IN SPRING The long-awaited coastguard station for Killybegs is officially on the way. Minister of State at the Department of Community, Equality and Gaeltacht Affairs, Dinny McGinley, said work on the station will begin next Spring. Minister McGinley was given the news that the Office of […]
- REVEALED: IRISH WATER WORKERS SICK JIBES AT HOMEOWNERS AS THOUSANDS SET TO PROTEST EXCLUSIVE: Some workers with Irish Water have posted sick messages about their work online - just as thousands take to the streets of Donegal today. Protestors will meet at venues across Donegal this afternoon with Government parties keeping a close eye on developments hoping that […]
- DDTV: VIDEO OF LETTERKENNY WATER CHARGES PROTEST AS 150,000 TAKE TO STREETS DDTV: Owen Curran from the Right2Water campaign addresses a crowd in excess of 7,000 in Letterkenny today as part of nationwide protests. Click play to watch his speech. Around 1,000 people marched through Lifford, with more than 3,000 people in Ballyshannon. Organisers of […]
- MAC GIOLLA EASBUIG – “PERFECT OPPORTUNITY FOR TRADE UNIONS TO CALL A GENERAL STRIKE” Michael Cholm Mac Giolla Easbuig has said now is the perfect opportunity for Trade Union leaders to call a general strike. The Independent county councillor is in Dublin to take part in the national demonstration against the water charges the Government are attempting to […]
- UPROAR AS GARDAI PHOTOGRAPH PROTESTERS BURNING HOUSEHOLD CHARGE LETTERS BREAKING NEWS: Protestors have burned more than 40 household demand letters outside the offices of Junior Minister Dinny McGinley in Co Donegal this morning. More than a dozen protesters gathered outside Deputy McGinley’s office in Gaoth Dobhair. The group, members of the Can’t Pay […]
- UPDATED: TWO HOUSES DAMAGED AND OTHERS EVACUATED AS GORSE FIRES SPREAD A number of houses have been evacuated after a huge gorse fire broke out in the Bunbeg area today. At least two houses have been damaged and a number of other houses are under threat as a result of the blaze. A total of five units of the fire service from Dungloe, Gaoth Dobhair, […]
- GALLIGAN CLAIMS HIS CAMPAIGN TEAM WERE ‘BULLIED AND ABUSED” BY PROTESTERS Local election candidate, Christy Galligan, said he is deeply shocked after his campaign team were surrounded by protesters on the Market Square in Letterkenny yesterday, and subjected to abusive and intimidating behaviour. The former Garda was canvassing with family and friends […]
- DRIVING CHARGE AGAINST ACTOR STRUCK OUT AFTER HE APOLOGISES TO COUPLE A driving charge against actor Gerard McSorley was withdrawn after he apologised to a couple outside of a local courthouse. The star of many films and TV programmes including In The Name of the Father, Veronica Guerin and Father Ted, appeared at Letterkenny District Court on a […]
- GARDAI INVESTIGATION INTO LASER AT AIRPORT ‘ONGOING’ Gardai have confirmed their investigation into a laser attack at Donegal Airport is ongoing. Donegal Daily revealed on Monday how a flight from Dublin to Carrickfin on Monday evening was targeted as it attempted to land. A Garda spokesman confirmed last night that the investigation […]
- DONEGAL TD CLAIMS WE ARE “ON CUSP OF NEW GOLDEN ERA OF TOURISM” AS HOTEL CLOSES! West Donegal TD Dinny McGinley has claimed that tourism is on the "cusp of a new golden era" - just hours after a leading hotel closed its doors. Donegal Daily revealed last night how the Seaview Hotel in Gaoth Dobhair closed yesterday with the loss of 35 jobs. Owner Jimmy […]