MEMBERS of Fianna Fail in Co Donegal are split tonight after deputy leader Éamon Ó Cuív resigned.
Donegaldaily.com spoke to four different senior members of the party – two said they supported the stance taken by Éamon Ó Cuív, while two said they were backing party leader Micheál Martin.
Éamon Ó Cuív has also resigned as Communications Spokesperson.
Party leader Micheál Martin in a statement said he had accepted Mr Ó Cuív’s resignation from these positions.
Mr Martin said “Éamon’s refusal to support the Parliamentary Party’s position on the Fiscal Compact meant that it was no longer feasible for him to occupy these roles.”
Speaking on RTE’s SixOne News Mr Ó Cuív said that Micheál Martin rang him at 4pm today, saying he was to resign and was no longer a member of the front bench.
Mr Ó Cuív said the Taoiseach should “go back” to Brussels to get concessions for Ireland before the treaty could be passed, including a “writedown of banking debt.”
One of those here who supports Ó Cuív here in the county told us: “This is the end of Martin as far as I am concerned. Eamon knows the people and knows what they are thinking – Martin doesn’t.”
However another senior party member in the county said “most supporters” in Co Donegal backed the party leader.
“It’s a very sad day for the party but it is bigger than any one man and Michael Martin is the only one capable of taking us forward,” he said.
More from Donegal Daily
- FIANNA FAIL LEADER MICHEAL MARTIN PAYS TRIBUTE TO TADHG CULBERT The Fianna Fáil Leader Micheál Martin has extended his sympathies to the family of Letterkenny Councillor Tadhg Culbert, who has died following a long illness.
Deputy Martin commented, “It is with great sadness that I learned today of Tadhg Culbert’s passing.
"On behalf of the […]
- MacLOCHLAINN DEMANDS FIANNA FAIL TAKE ACTION AGAINST McENIFF OVER LATEST TRAVELLER COMMENTS Sinn Féin Justice and Equality spokesperson, Pádraig Mac Lochlainn has called on Fianna Fáil to take direct action against Colr Sean McEniff following his latest outburst.
Deputy MacLochlainn demanded FF leader Micheál Martin to outline what measures he intends to take following the […]
- ELECTION 2011: THE TRUE FOLLOWERS OF COLLINS – BY PADDY HARTE BY PADDY HARTE, FORMER DEPUTY, DAIL EIREANN
There is a mistaken belief that only people who vote Fine Gael are in the true tradition of Collins, Griffith and O’Higgins which I believed all my political life and as a boy before I came into politics. I now know this to be incorrect […]
- LARGE TURN-OUT FOR FISCAL COMPACT TREATY MEETING IN DUNGLOE There was a large turnout at a public meeting held last Friday (April 27th) in Dungloe, County Donegal, to discuss the up-coming referendum on the European Fiscal Compact Treaty, which is to be held on May 31st.
Those who gathered for the meeting in Ionad Teampaill Chróine watched a […]
- MEP HARKIN WELCOMES ‘YES’ VOTE IN REFERENDUM The ‘Yes’ vote in the Fiscal Treaty represents the buying of time for Ireland to secure vitally necessary concessions including a deal on promissory notes.
This was the reaction of Marian Harkin MEP to today’s ‘Yes’ vote which, she said, had now to be used effectively by the […]
- FIANNA FAIL LEADER MICHEAL MARTIN IN BERNARD McGLINCHEY TRIBUTE Fianna Fáil Leader, Micheál Martin TD, has expressed his sympathy on the death of former Senator Bernard McGlinchey.
“It was with great sadness that I learned of the passing of Bernard McGlinchey. Bernard’s record in public life was a remarkable one. Bernard served in Seanad Éireann […]
- ‘IT’S A SIGN OF THE TIMES’ INSIST CAN’T PAY WON’T PAY CAMPAIGN Can't Pay Won't Pay have hit back at County Councillors who have called for the removal of anti-Property Tax signs around the county and have said that their campaign intends erecting even more signs over the coming weeks.
Last week Cllrs. Padraig Doherty, Terence Slowey and David […]
- MAC GIOLLA EASBUIG SIGNALS MESSAGE OF INTENT AS HE OPENS NEW OFFICE
Local Independent election candidate Micheál Cholm Mac Giolla Easbuig has announced that he will officially open his new public office in Dungloe on Saturday 16th November.
The opening will be performed by Brigid O'Donnell, living in Dungloe, but originally from […]
- DONEGAL-BORN TD RESIGNS FROM THE LABOUR PARTY
Dublin South West TD Eamonn Maloney has resigned from the Labour Party this afternoon.
Mr Maloney, who is from Letterkenny, is a brother of former Labour party Senator Sean Maloney.
He has announced that he will run as an independent in the general election.
Mr Maloney said […]
- SINN FEIN SUPPORT GROWS AS GOVERNMENT PARTIES BATTERED IN LATEST POLL THE Government parties take a battering in the latest opinion poll to be published in the Sunday Times this weekend as the result of the Budget sinks in.
Support for Taoiseach Enda Kenny is down - with Gerry Adams the most popular political leader.
Just 26% of people are satisfied […]
- STRONG DONEGAL INPUT INTO OGRA FIANNA FAIL This weekend Fianna Fáil’s youth organisation began a process of radical change and reorganisation. Among the changes was the election of the first Uachtarán Ógra Fhianna Fáil from within the organisation.
Taking up the position Eamon Quinlan from Waterford Ógra commented, ‘I want […]
- RUMBLINGS AGAIN IN DONEGAL FIANNA FAIL AS SINN FEIN SHOW POLL SURGE SENIOR figures within Fianna Fáil in Co Donegal are again questioning the leadership of Micheal Martin after the latest poll showed Sinn Féin surging ahead at the expense of the party.
Mr Martin visited the county at the weekend to address the party faithful.
But one senior member […]
- MCBREARTY ACCUSES O’DOMHNAILL OF TRYING TO INSTILL FEAR IN COMMUNITY OVER TEACHING POSTS Cllr Frank McBrearty has accused Fianna Fáil Senator Brian O’Domhnaill of attempt to instill fear in Donegal communities by claiming dozens of teaching posts are to be slashed across Donegal.
The Raphoe county councillor said the claims by Senator O’Domhnaill are complete untrue and […]
- WELL-KNOWN DONEGAL COMMUNITY ACTIVIST JOINS SINN FEIN
Well-known Glenties-based community activist Brian Carr has joined Donegal Sinn Féin.
Brian, who had previously contested last year’s local elections as an Independent Candidate for the Glenties Electoral Area, was warmly welcomed into the party during the party’s Convention […]
- DONEGAL TD ACCUSES GOVERNMENT OF SHAFTING CREDIT UNIONS
Sinn Féin Finance Spokesperson Deputy Pearse Doherty has hit out at the government over its plans to introduce strict new regulations on the activities of Credit Unions.
Deputy Doherty, who last night was speaking during a Private Members Motion against the planned commencement of […]
- COUNTRY WILL FACE ANOTHER €6BILLION IN CUTS IF WE VOTE YES, SAYS DONEGAL TD Sinn Féin finance spokesperson Pearse Doherty has today challenged the Government to “spell out where it will get the €6 billion that will be required to meet the 0.5% structural deficit target if the Austerity Treaty is passed”.
Under the terms of the Austerity Treaty, he said, […]
- RICHARD BRUTON ‘SECOND VOTE COMMENTS ARE OUTRAGEOUS’ – DOHERTY Sinn Féin TD Pearse Doherty has described as outrageous comments from Enterprise Minister Richard Bruton that he would ask Europe if Ireland could vote again if the austerity treaty is defeated on May 31st.
Minister Bruton made his comments and then retracted them during a debate on […]
- REVEALED: FIANNA FAIL LEADER CALLED GAYBO IN DONEGAL TO URGE HIM TO RUN FOR PRESIDENCY FIANNA FÁIL leader Micheál Martin called Gay Byrne to urge him to run for the Presidency, the RTE star has said.
Gaybo was in his holiday home in Dungloe when Mr Martin phoned him on Saturday saying Fianna Fáil would support him.
“Micheál Martin called me last Saturday night, and […]
- VOTING REMAINS SLOW ACROSS DONEGAL IN REFERENDUM The Government is hoping for a last minute rush to the polling stations this evening after a poor turn-out so far today across Donegal.
It’s estimated that only up to 18% of people have cast their vote by 3pm today.
However with the good weather picking up, it is hoped people will […]
- WELL-KNOWN INISHOWEN MAN TO RUN IN ELECTIONS Well known community activist Martin McDermott has announced his intention to run in next year's local elections for Fianna Fáil in Inisowen.
This will come as no surprise in political circles as Martin comes from a strong Fianna Fáil lineage and has been a member of the party for […]