MEMBERS of Fianna Fail in Co Donegal are split tonight after deputy leader Éamon Ó Cuív resigned.
Donegaldaily.com spoke to four different senior members of the party – two said they supported the stance taken by Éamon Ó Cuív, while two said they were backing party leader Micheál Martin.
Éamon Ó Cuív has also resigned as Communications Spokesperson.
Party leader Micheál Martin in a statement said he had accepted Mr Ó Cuív’s resignation from these positions.
Mr Martin said “Éamon’s refusal to support the Parliamentary Party’s position on the Fiscal Compact meant that it was no longer feasible for him to occupy these roles.”
Speaking on RTE’s SixOne News Mr Ó Cuív said that Micheál Martin rang him at 4pm today, saying he was to resign and was no longer a member of the front bench.
Mr Ó Cuív said the Taoiseach should “go back” to Brussels to get concessions for Ireland before the treaty could be passed, including a “writedown of banking debt.”
One of those here who supports Ó Cuív here in the county told us: “This is the end of Martin as far as I am concerned. Eamon knows the people and knows what they are thinking – Martin doesn’t.”
However another senior party member in the county said “most supporters” in Co Donegal backed the party leader.
“It’s a very sad day for the party but it is bigger than any one man and Michael Martin is the only one capable of taking us forward,” he said.
More from Donegal Daily
- BREAKING NEWS: TAOISEACH ANNOUNCES REFERENDUM ON FISCAL TREATY DONEGAL is getting ready to vote in yet another referendum.
Opposition parties have welcomed an announcement that the Government is to hold a referendum on the Fiscal Stability Treaty.
The county voted against both the Lisbon Treaty and the referendum re-run Lisbon 2.
- DONEGAL TD: OUR LAWYERS ARE WATCHING GOVERNMENT DONEGAL North East TD Padraig MacLochlainn warned tonight that Sinn Fein lawyers are examining the Government's decision to sign up to the EU treaty.
Deputy McLochlainn, speaking on Tonight with Vincent Browne on TV3, said the agreement was "outrageous."
The Inishowen man described […]
- FIANNA FAIL REJECT ENDA’S OFFER OF ‘PARTNERSHIP GOVERNMENT’
FIANNA Fail have rejected the offer from Fine Gael to be part of a 'partnership government'.
Today's meeting between party leaders Micheál Martin and Enda Kenny lasted just 10 minutes.
Sources said Fine Gael felt their offer of a partnership Government was rejected with […]
- DONEGAL STUDENTS DEMAND POLITICAL PARTIES PUT MENTAL HEALTH ON ELECTION AGENDA STUDENT leaders in Donegal are calling on all political parties and independent candidates to commit to mental health reform and suicide prevention before the General Election.
The number of students reporting mental health issues has increased, but as a result of hiring restrictions […]
- McCONALOGUE ACCUSES TAOISEACH OVER BANK DEBT STRATEGY Donegal North East Fianna Fáil TD Charlie McConalogue has expressed grave concern at the Government’s refusal to outline details of its strategy on a renegotiation of Irish bank debt.
Deputy McConalogue was commenting after the Taoiseach Enda Kenny repeatedly refused to answer […]
- MASSIVE CROWD EXPECTED TO ATTEND ‘SAVE OUR HOSPITALS’ MARCH THIS WEEKEND
POLITICS: A massive crowd are expected to attend a march which has been organised in an attempt to stop the impending closure of three Donegal Community Hospitals, and a health dispensary in Dunfanaghy.
Election candidate Tim Jackson has called on people from around Donegal to […]
- ELECTION 2011: MARTIN PROMISES TO PUT GAEILGE AT THE ‘CENTRE OF GOVERNMENT’ FIANNA FÁIL leader Micheál Martin has apologised for the mistakes made by his party in Government - and has reassured Irish language enthusiasts in the county that Gaeilge is at the heart of his party's policy.
In an exclusive interview with Foinse yesterday, Mr Martin also revealed […]
- BYRNE U-TURN: I’M STAYING IN FIANNA FAIL FIANNA Fail councillor Brendan Byrne has done a U-turn - and is staying in Fianna Fail.
The close ally of Mary Coughlan released a statement saying he had decided to stay on.
However Mr Byrne said he is disillusioned with the direction the party is taking and with the leadership of […]
- BREAKING NEWS: MINISTER FOR JUSTICE SHATTER RESIGNS Minister for Justice Alan Shatter has resigned, Taoiseach Enda Kenny has told the Dáil.
Mr Kenny said Mr Shatter stepped down as a result of the inquiry into allegations of Garda malpractice by Séan Guerin SC.
The Taoiseach said his replacement will be announced either today or […]
- TD PRINGLE LAUNCHES LEGAL CHALLENGE TO FISCAL COMPACT TREATIES Legal proceedings have been initiated by Thomas Pringle T.D. challenging the Government on fundamental aspects of the European Stability Mechanism (ESM) and the Stability, Coordination and Governance in the Economic and Monetary Union (Fiscal Compact) Treaties.
Pringle stated that “he […]
- FIANNA FAIL LEADER MICHEAL MARTIN PAYS TRIBUTE TO TADHG CULBERT The Fianna Fáil Leader Micheál Martin has extended his sympathies to the family of Letterkenny Councillor Tadhg Culbert, who has died following a long illness.
Deputy Martin commented, “It is with great sadness that I learned today of Tadhg Culbert’s passing.
"On behalf of the […]
- BREAKING NEWS: COWEN STATEMENT SHORTLY BREAKING NEWS: TAOISEACH BRIAN Cowen will make a statement shortly on his future.
Sources in the party in Dublin say he will make a statement at 5pm amid reports he will continue as leader of Fianna Fail.
It's understood Micheal Martin, the Foreign Affairs Minister, had given Mr […]
- IRELAND’S MOST SPECTACULAR DARKNESS INTO LIGHT 5K SET FOR ARRANMORE Arranmore Island is hosting it's first ever Darkness Into Light 5k walk/run this year on May 7.
All proceeds go to Pieta House which is a prevention centre for self harm and suicide.
There are 110 venues around the country - but Arranmore is set to have the most spectacular […]
- MacLOCHLAINN DEMANDS FIANNA FAIL TAKE ACTION AGAINST McENIFF OVER LATEST TRAVELLER COMMENTS Sinn Féin Justice and Equality spokesperson, Pádraig Mac Lochlainn has called on Fianna Fáil to take direct action against Colr Sean McEniff following his latest outburst.
Deputy MacLochlainn demanded FF leader Micheál Martin to outline what measures he intends to take following the […]
- ELECTION 2011: THE TRUE FOLLOWERS OF COLLINS – BY PADDY HARTE BY PADDY HARTE, FORMER DEPUTY, DAIL EIREANN
There is a mistaken belief that only people who vote Fine Gael are in the true tradition of Collins, Griffith and O’Higgins which I believed all my political life and as a boy before I came into politics. I now know this to be incorrect […]
- ELECTION 2014: ARE YOU VOTING FOR A CANDIDATE WHO SUPPORTS VRT?
ELECTION Platform: By John Doherty, Irish Drivers Association
Get the facts before we make the same mistakes again. What the Electorate may not be aware of is that by voting FF. FG. or labour in the European elections that you are in actual fact electing a candidate to retain […]
- DONEGAL CAMPAIGNER SLAMS BUSINESSES FOR BACKING ‘YES’ CAMPAIGN Following the launch of business lobby IBEC’s local campaign for a Yes vote in the forthcoming referendum, anti-austerity campaigner Micheál Cholm Mac Giolla Easbuig has called on the people of Donegal to reject the pro-austerity agenda of big business and vote No.
Responding to […]
- SINN FEIN NOMINATE PADRAIG Mac LOCHLAINN TO SEANAD
Sinn Féin has nominated Pádraig Mac Lochlainn for the Seanad.
He will contest a seat on the Industrial and Commercial Panel for the party.
Speaking after his nomination, he said he was honoured to have received a Sinn Féin nomination for the Seanad.
"I narrowly lost my Dáil […]
- CLLR DOHERTY SLAMS CAR INSURANCE PREMIUM HIKES IN DONEGAL
Sinn Féin Councillor Gary Doherty has strongly criticised both the insurance industry and the last Government following reports from Donegal motorists that insurance premiums have risen by as much as 40 per cent in twelve months.
Recent figures released from the CSO’s Consumer […]
- LARGE TURN-OUT FOR FISCAL COMPACT TREATY MEETING IN DUNGLOE There was a large turnout at a public meeting held last Friday (April 27th) in Dungloe, County Donegal, to discuss the up-coming referendum on the European Fiscal Compact Treaty, which is to be held on May 31st.
Those who gathered for the meeting in Ionad Teampaill Chróine watched a […]