THE KERRYKEEL area has been rocked by “a loud bang” tonight.
However the British Geological Survey, which monitors tremors in Co Donegal, has not recorded anything in that area.
Amateur weatherman Kenneth McDonagh told us: “People have reported to my Donegal weather channel tonight that they have felt yet again another ground tremor similar to one earlier this year.
“People from the Kerrykeel area have contacted me to say there was a loud bang and some people felt their houses shake in that area around 9.20pm this evening.”
A number of readers have contacted donegaldaily.com in the past few hours to report hearing a very loud bang, with reports from Rathmullan, Portsalon and the surrounding areas.
One reader told us: “It sounded like thunder but it is a really calm night and I thought it could be another tremor.
“It only lasted a few seconds, but my house did shake.”
Amateur weatherman Kenneth has ruled out thunder as a cause of the loud bang.
However the British Geological Survey, which monitors tremors, updated its website and is not reporting a tremor in Co Donegal.
© 2012 donegaldaily.com, all Rights Reserved
The copying, republication or redistribution of donegaldaily.com Content, including by framing or similar means, is expressly prohibited by law.
Follow us on www.twitter.com/donegaldaily
Follow us on www.facebook.com/donegaldaily
More from Donegal Daily
- DONEGAL EARTHQUAKE: MORE COULD BE ON THE WAY, SAY EXPERTS LATEST: EXPERTS have warned that County Donegal could be hit by more earthquakes in the coming weeks if Thursday's tremor follows recent patterns.
Three quakes in three weeks hit the same area of north Donegal in 2010.
David Galloway from the British Geological Survey admitted: "We […]
- DONEGAL HIT BY SECOND MINI EARTHQUAKE JUST HOURS AFTER FIRST! DONEGAL was hit by a second earthquake in the very early hours of this morning, experts said this afternoon.
The British Geological Survey, which records earthquakes, has confirmed the first tremor hit 1.1 on the Richter scale and measured 3kms deep.
The tremor’s official centre […]
- IT’S OFFICIAL – DONEGAL WAS HIT BY ANOTHER MINI QUAKE LAST NIGHT! Donegal HAS been hit by another mini-earthquake.
The tremor was felt by thousands of residents last night.
And now the British Geological Survey, which records earthquakes, has confirmed the tremor hit 1.1 on the Richter scale and measured 3kms deep.
The tremor’s official centre […]
- ANOTHER EARTHQUAKE HITS OFF COAST OF DONEGAL Another earthquake has rocked Co Donegal.
A quake with a magnitude of 2.7 on the Richter Scale was recorded off the northwest coast just after breakfast-time this morning.
The deep tremor in the Atlantic ocean was noted by the British Geological Survey at about 9.08am.
- SEVERE COLD WEATHER COULD BE ON WAY TO DONEGAL – SNOW FORECAST BY KENNETH MCDONAGH, DONEGAL WEATHER CHANNEL.
BREAKING NEWS: SEVERE COLD WINTER WEATHER MAY FINALLY BE ON THE WAY BRINGING TEMPERATURES AS LOW AS -5 (OR WORSE) AND SNOWFALL.
The ECM and GFS model show severe weather on the way for later next week and to bring cold temperatures and […]
- NORTHERN LIGHTS SHOW FOR DONEGAL THIS WEEK BY KENNETH McDONAGH, DONEGAL WEATHER CHANNEL: I have been monitoring both the weather and numerous space watch websites and tonight could be excellent for seeing the Northern Lights.
There also appears to be good viewing possibilities on Wednesday and Thursday of this week.
- PARTS OF COUNTY BEING HIT BY THUNDER, LIGHTNING AND HUGE HAIL STONES Parts of Donegal are being battered by strong winds, thunder, lightning and huge hail stones this evening.
Parts of the county including Letterkenny, Milford and Drumkeen have been hit by the freakish weather patterns.
Met Eireann is forecasting strong winds of up to 120KPH and […]
- EARTHQUAKE FEARS ‘BLASTED’ AS QUARRY FOUND TO BE LIKELY CAUSE OF DONEGAL TREMOR
The cause of a massive earth tremor which shook parts of Donegal has been found.
But the public can relax because it wasn't any movement in the earth's crust that caused the massive bang and ground-shaking.
Instead it was a large quarry blasting exercise by Bonar's Quarry at their […]
- WACKY WEATHER: DONEGAL HIT BY MASSIVE HAILSTORMS This was the scene in Ballyshannon and Bundoran areas earlier today after they were hit with a massive hail storm.
These pictures, taken by Kenneth McDonagh from the facebook page Donegal Weather Channel, show some of the hail bigger than 50c pieces.
"I haven't seen hail stones […]
- WEEKEND WEATHER: ICE WARNING AS TEMPERATURES DROP BY KENNETH McDONAGH, DONEGAL WEATHER CHANNEL:
It has been a superbly mild few days across Co Donegal, so don't get caught out overnight as temperatures drop below freezing.
It may fall below -2C later on - and may cause some problems on the roads, especially where wet patches […]
- BRRRRR! POLAR AIR SET TO RETURN WITH ICE, SLEET AND SNOW FORECAST POLAR AIR TO MAKE A RETURN FOR NEXT WEEKEND WITH ICE, SLEET, SNOW AND FREEZING TEMPERATURES 14/1/12 12:30AM
REPORT: KENNETH McDONAGH, DONEGAL FACEBOOK WEATHER CHANNEL
For next week Tuesday,Wednesday and Thursday will be mild with much colder, wetter, breezier weather returning on […]
- YOUR COMPLETE WEATHER GUIDE TO 2011! SO WHAT was the weather really like in 2011.
Just in case you've forgotten here's a complete review of last year from Kenneth McDonagh from the Donegal Weather Channel!
2011 DONEGAL WEATHER CHANNEL WEATHER REVIEW DONEGAL 11/1/12
Temperatures were up nearly 1C in places even […]
- DRIVERS WARNED AS WINTRY SHOWERS LEAVE ROADS SLIPPY MOTORISTS are being told to slow down due to sleet and snow falling in parts of Donegal.
Tonight in Ballybofey, Stranorlar and Letterkenny there as been heavy showers of sleet and snow - most falling as sleet. There have been reports of it lying on roads in places leading to slippery […]
- TO RENT! HOUSE AT EPICENTRE OF DONEGAL EARTHQUAKE The owners of a house at the epicenter of this week’s earthquake in Co Donegal have been swamped with calls from thrill-seekers wanting to rent it.
Knockalla Coastguard Cottages overlooking scenic Lough Swilly - near Portsalon - were shook to their foundations when the 2.2 quake hit […]
- DONEGAL HIT BY EARTHQUAKE OVERNIGHT EARTHQUAKE UPDATE: Donegal is still in shock after being hit by a very strong earth tremor which measured 2.2 on the Richter Scale.
The minor earthquake struck just after 1am and was felt across Donegal in many towns and villages including Ramelton, Buncrana, Letterkenny, Raphoe, […]
- SPECTACULAR LUNAR ECLIPSE ON WEDNESDAY BY KENNETH McDONAGH: A Penumbral lunar eclipse, will occur on 28th November, 2012 here in Ireland.
It will start at 12:14pm and end at 4:00pm.
Irish people should be alert for the moon turning red during the day and the sky's look set to be clear with a possible freezing fog in […]
- WACKY DONEGAL WEATHER: TEMPERATURES TO HIT 15C THIS WEEK BY KENNETH McDONAGH, DONEGAL WEATHER CHANNEL
The week will start of unsettled and improve as the week goes on with rain and Drizzle at times.
At the end of the week some sunny spells will develop with temperatures at max 13C on Tuesday.
On Wednesday there will be wet and windy […]
- IRELAND’S MOST SPECTACULAR DARKNESS INTO LIGHT 5K SET FOR ARRANMORE Arranmore Island is hosting it's first ever Darkness Into Light 5k walk/run this year on May 7.
All proceeds go to Pieta House which is a prevention centre for self harm and suicide.
There are 110 venues around the country - but Arranmore is set to have the most spectacular […]
- NORTH KOREAN H-BOMB TEST CAUSES TREMOR IN DONEGAL A HYDROGEN bomb test in North Korea caused a tremor in Donegal, scientists have said.
Dublin Institute of Advanced Studies (DIAS) through the Irish National Seismic Network (INSN) said the tremors here were consistent with what has been claimed by North Korea.
The INSN’s stations […]
- DONEGAL MAN REVEALS JAPANESE EARTHQUAKE TERROR BREAKING NEWS: A young Newtowncunningham man has revealed how he plans to head towards the centre of today’s earthquake in Japan to help out.
Malachy Shea, 28, only moved to Japan two weeks ago because he couldn’t find a job in Donegal.
Malachy, the son of Patricia and Dr.Eamon […]