THE KERRYKEEL area has been rocked by “a loud bang” tonight.
However the British Geological Survey, which monitors tremors in Co Donegal, has not recorded anything in that area.
Amateur weatherman Kenneth McDonagh told us: “People have reported to my Donegal weather channel tonight that they have felt yet again another ground tremor similar to one earlier this year.
“People from the Kerrykeel area have contacted me to say there was a loud bang and some people felt their houses shake in that area around 9.20pm this evening.”
A number of readers have contacted donegaldaily.com in the past few hours to report hearing a very loud bang, with reports from Rathmullan, Portsalon and the surrounding areas.
One reader told us: “It sounded like thunder but it is a really calm night and I thought it could be another tremor.
“It only lasted a few seconds, but my house did shake.”
Amateur weatherman Kenneth has ruled out thunder as a cause of the loud bang.
However the British Geological Survey, which monitors tremors, updated its website and is not reporting a tremor in Co Donegal.
© 2012 donegaldaily.com, all Rights Reserved
The copying, republication or redistribution of donegaldaily.com Content, including by framing or similar means, is expressly prohibited by law.
Follow us on www.twitter.com/donegaldaily
Follow us on www.facebook.com/donegaldaily
More from Donegal Daily
- DONEGAL EARTHQUAKE: MORE COULD BE ON THE WAY, SAY EXPERTS LATEST: EXPERTS have warned that County Donegal could be hit by more earthquakes in the coming weeks if Thursday's tremor follows recent patterns.
Three quakes in three weeks hit the same area of north Donegal in 2010.
David Galloway from the British Geological Survey admitted: "We […]
- WACKY WEATHER: DONEGAL HIT BY MASSIVE HAILSTORMS This was the scene in Ballyshannon and Bundoran areas earlier today after they were hit with a massive hail storm.
These pictures, taken by Kenneth McDonagh from the facebook page Donegal Weather Channel, show some of the hail bigger than 50c pieces.
"I haven't seen hail stones […]
- BRRRRR! POLAR AIR SET TO RETURN WITH ICE, SLEET AND SNOW FORECAST POLAR AIR TO MAKE A RETURN FOR NEXT WEEKEND WITH ICE, SLEET, SNOW AND FREEZING TEMPERATURES 14/1/12 12:30AM
REPORT: KENNETH McDONAGH, DONEGAL FACEBOOK WEATHER CHANNEL
For next week Tuesday,Wednesday and Thursday will be mild with much colder, wetter, breezier weather returning on […]
- DRIVERS WARNED AS WINTRY SHOWERS LEAVE ROADS SLIPPY MOTORISTS are being told to slow down due to sleet and snow falling in parts of Donegal.
Tonight in Ballybofey, Stranorlar and Letterkenny there as been heavy showers of sleet and snow - most falling as sleet. There have been reports of it lying on roads in places leading to slippery […]
- DONEGAL HIT BY EARTHQUAKE OVERNIGHT EARTHQUAKE UPDATE: Donegal is still in shock after being hit by a very strong earth tremor which measured 2.2 on the Richter Scale.
The minor earthquake struck just after 1am and was felt across Donegal in many towns and villages including Ramelton, Buncrana, Letterkenny, Raphoe, […]
- NORTH KOREAN H-BOMB TEST CAUSES TREMOR IN DONEGAL A HYDROGEN bomb test in North Korea caused a tremor in Donegal, scientists have said.
Dublin Institute of Advanced Studies (DIAS) through the Irish National Seismic Network (INSN) said the tremors here were consistent with what has been claimed by North Korea.
The INSN’s stations […]
- DONEGAL MAN REVEALS JAPANESE EARTHQUAKE TERROR BREAKING NEWS: A young Newtowncunningham man has revealed how he plans to head towards the centre of today’s earthquake in Japan to help out.
Malachy Shea, 28, only moved to Japan two weeks ago because he couldn’t find a job in Donegal.
Malachy, the son of Patricia and Dr.Eamon […]
- WEATHER WARNING: ‘BARNESMORE GAP COVERED IN ICE – LIKE A BOTTLE’ THE Barnesmore Gap in Co Donegal is "like a bottle" this morning after overnight hail showers.
Motorists have contacted donegaldaily.com today warning other road users to slow down on a five mile stretch from Ballybofey towards Donegal Town.
"It comes at you very quickly," said one […]
- DRIVERS WARNED TO SLOW DOWN AS TEMPERATURES DIP BELOW ZERO Drivers are being warned to slow down this morning with temperatures having dipped overnight to freezing.
Temperatures in some places across the county slipped down to -1 to 4 degrees C.
The Donegal Weather Channel has warned that there are reports of ice forming on some untreated […]
- WOMAN CHEATS INJURY AFTER BULLET SHATTERS WINDOW A businesswoman cheated serious injury after a stray bullet shattered a window at her countryside home.
Gillian Barnett was sitting watching television at her picturesque Co Donegal home when she heard a massive bang.
When she went to investigate, she found a large window at […]
- BREAKING NEWS: WEATHER ALERT ISSUED FOR DONEGAL..HIGH WINDS, SNOW ON HIGHER GROUND AND TORNADIC WINDS WEATHER experts have just issued a warning for Donegal, with high winds, loads of rain - with snow on ground above 400 metres.
It's unlikely to fall to lower ground, said the UK Met Office, though it is possible.
The alert from irishweatheronline.com is as […]
- ONE RECORD WE DIDN’T WANT…DONEGAL HAD HIGHEST RAINFALL IN SINGLE DAY…NOW MORE ON WAY! DONEGAL set a new record last week - with more rain falling in a single day than anywhere else in the country.
The weather station at Finner Camp saw an incredible 42mm of rain last Monday.
That was half of the rainfall for the entire week.
Donegal hit the two of the top three […]
- WOW! LIGHTNING STRIKES HIT DONEGAL AHEAD OF HUGE STORM CLODAGH DONEGAL is being rocked by a thunder and lightning storm this evening.
Skies over the west and north of the county have lit up - with a number of lightning strikes in Clonmany in Inishowen after 9pm.
Huge lightning forks were also visible for a few seconds near Downings.
- REVEALED: DONEGAL HOUSE PRICES ‘TO JUMP 10 PER CENT THIS YEAR’
A nationwide survey of estate agents' expectations for this year shows Donegal house prices will jump by ten per cent this year.
The strongest predictions for price rises are mostly apparent in those areas that have been slowest to recover from the crash, said the Real Estate […]
- AVERAGE DONEGAL HOUSE PRICES RISE BY ALMOST 5% IN LAST SIX MONTHS
The price of the average three-bed semi detached house in Donegal has risen 4.76% to €82,500 in the last six months, a nationwide property survey has found.
The REA Average House Price Survey concentrates on the sale price of Ireland's typical stock home, the three-bed semi, […]
- COUNCIL CONSIDERS SPENDING €250,000 ON ‘SHED’ FOR TOURIST PROJECT Letterkenny Town Council is looking to buy a vacant building to develop as a tourist project - but may have to splash out €250,000 for the privilege.
The Old Forge at Lower Main Street, which comes complete with tin roof and no windows, has been boarded up for more than 30 […]
- SNOW ON WAY AS TEMPERATURES SET TO DROP TO -6C
SNOW showers are on their way to Donegal tomorrow - with temperatures set to plunge to a chilly -6C.
North westerly winds touching 100km/hr will hit the county tomorrow and bring between 2cm and 5cm of snow - although this will be worst on the Donegal hills.
Arctic winds will […]
- DEBATE OF THE DAY: SO WHICH DONEGAL ACCENT IS THE SEXIEST – YOU DECIDE & WIN €50 THIS WEEK we told you how a survey found Co Donegal accents the sexiest in Ireland.
But we all know there are many different accents in the county....from Malin Head to Bundoran and from Gaoth Dobhair to St Johnston.
So we're doing our own completely unscientific survey....and you […]
- REVEALED: JUST FOUR PAIRS OF CURLEWS LEFT IN DONEGAL IT'S our most famous native bird - but it will be extinct in just a few years, experts have warned.
For just four breeding pairs of curlew have been found in a survey of Donegal.
Shocked investigators went to 60 sites in the hope of finding more of the birds.
But they found just […]
- DONEGAL IS ‘BUZZING’ WITH BREEDING SUCCESS OF MAGNIFICENT BIRD ONE of Ireland’s most stunning birds of prey has officially made a comeback and Donegal is their favourite place to live.
In the 1970s birdwatchers across Ireland only rarely caught a glimpse of a magnificent buzzard.
But Birdwatch Ireland has revealed that hundreds of the birds […]