In the latest debacle to hit the household charge, the computer system dealing with payments CRASHED today.
Donegaldaily.com reported earlier today that some Co Donegal homeowners tried – but failed – to pay online.
Since then we have been inundated with complaints from right across the county.
“Nobody wants to pay this, but it’s the law and when I tried to do so today, it wouldn’t process my payment,” said one Dungloe reader.
Another reader from Gaoth Dobhair said she kept getting an ‘error’ message when she went to pay.
This complaint was repeated by readers in Letterkenny, Buncrana, Stranorlar and in Ballyshannon.
The agency handling the controversial new household charge admitted there had been some incidents, but told people to keep trying.
They also claimed said that 1.2 MILLION homeowners have still not paid the €100 tax ahead of the March 31st deadline. It said €42.5m has now been received through the charge so far through 425,000 payments
Donegal county council is planning to open eight offices on Saturday to take payments as Sinn Fein TDs launch a bid to repeal the laws in the Dail.
Meanwhile Taoiseach Enda Kenny told reporters in China: “The law is there, I expect that people will obey that law. Clearly, individual comments are made by people from time to time. I expect people, as they always do in Ireland, to measure up here and come out in big numbers over the next few days and pay their charge.”