Pensioner John Barrow thought thick smoke outside his Co Donegal house was actually fog and went back to sleep.
However his life was saved when firemen banged on his cottage in Crolly as flames came to just two feet of his house.
Now Mr Barrow, who is in his 70s, has thanked the man who saved his life.
Dutch tourist Marcel Coenen told the Shaun Doherty Show in Highland Radio that he was travelling to Donegal International Airport in Carrickfin when he saw the bog-fire close to Mr Barrow’s home just after 6am.
He called the local fire service and tried to shout at Mr Barrow to get out.
The fire service arrived at 6.23am and managed to get Mr Barrow out.
The pensioner, who lives at Station House cottage, yesterday (WED) thanked the man who saved his life.
“I would appreciate if he could call in and I will show him how close it was.
“He has no idea how grateful I am to him,” said John.
John also revealed his house was badly burned in a blaze back in 1986.
There was some scorch damage to John’s home but Acting Chief Fire officer Sean Campbell said Mr Barrow had a lucky escape.
“It was lucky that this man was passing and was able to alert the fire service because the fire did come very close to this man’s home,” he said.
And the hero who managed to alert the fire service said he will be only too happy to call in and see Mr Barrow when he calls to Donegal again.
“I come to Donegal perhaps four times a year to recharge my batteries and I enjoy the Guinness and the craic.
“I am so happy I was able to help John and I will certainly call to see him when I visit again,” he said.