Yesterday donegaldaily.com revealed that there were fears that two more eagles had been killed by poisoning.
Now local game and shooting clubs affiliated to the National Association of Regional Game Councils have issued a public plea to those poisoning eagles to stop – and to get rid of pests by using their services for free.
It’s thought many eagles have been killed by poison left in the open and meant for animals such as foxes. It is illegal to leave out poison openly.
NARGC boss Des Crofton said: “The gun clubs in Donegal, all of whom are equally horrified about this news, are willing to provide a free pest control service when requested.
“The irresponsible use of poison baits has killed numerous working dogs and domestic pets and represents a serious threat to protected birds in Ireland.
“The National Association of Regional Game Councils is urging anyone with further information to contact their local National Parks ranger or the Garda Síochána.”