Well known Letterkenny born and bred Fianna Fáil councillor Dessie Larkin has recently been appointed as Town Mayor. Cllr. Larkin was first elected to the council in 1998 and this will be his second time as Mayor. Having previously worked in Unifi, Cllr. Larkin has held a number of roles including Chairman of the Peace III Partnership Board and Chairman of the Donegal County Development Board. The married father of four has a great love for Donegal and is this week’s choice for ‘My Donegal’.
By Caoimhe Ní Chathail
What is your favourite place in Donegal and why?
I love the area up around Ardara and Glencolmcille, obviously for the scenery but also for the nature of the people in that area too. I have to say I’m always drawn towards it so it would be one of my favourite places in Donegal.
If you could change one thing about Donegal what would it be?
It would be a motorway into it.
Who is the one person in Donegal that you look up to and why?
There are a lot of people with different skills and disciplines but I would have to say, and funny enough some people would probably pick me up on it and say he’s a Tyrone man but I would consider him a Donegal man, Brian Friel because I think his use of obviously words and the way he can write stories is unbelievable and the way he has portrayed those stories in and around Ireland and especially Donegal. I’m a huge admirer of Brian Friel. I think he’s a wonderfully talented man.
Daniel O’Donnell or Packie Bonner?
I would have to say, seeing as I’m a big soccer head, Packie Bonner.
What has been Donegal’s proudest moment in recent years?
Donegal winning the Ulster final last year.
What has been Donegal’s saddest moment?
I think any of the road tragedies, especially where there were multiple lives lost and unfortunately it’s something that’s associated with Donegal.
What is your favourite Donegal-made product?
It has to be Football Special!
Who is Donegal’s greatest ambassador around the world and why?
We’ve been very fortunate, we have quite a few. I think Daniel O’Donnell has been phenomenal because he has portrayed the county all around the world and he has also done it in a way that is non-controversial but at the same time it has attracted people to the county.
Who is Donegal’s most successful businessperson in your opinion?
Jason and Sharon Black.
Who is your favourite Donegal sportsperson of all time?
I would have to say Shay Given.
What is your favourite Donegal restaurant?
I think Letterkenny is spoilt for choice but one of my favourite restaurants is actually over in Dunkineely in Castle Murray House.
Donegal’s golden eagles or basking sharks?
Your nomination for Donegal’s most stylish person?
I have to say my wife, Mary!
What is your favourite Donegal saying or expression?
“One for the road!”
More from Donegal Daily
- FORMER MAYOR LARKIN PLANS TO FIGHT ALLEGATIONS ALL THE WAY Former Mayor of Donegal Dessie Larkin said he full intends to contest allegations that he claimed expenses from two state agencies for travel on the same day.
The Standards in Public Office Commission found he broke ethics legislation by claiming expenses from the local authority and […]
- DANNY McDAID – THE TIME IS RIGHT FOR A MARATHON IN DONEGAL
As the closing date of the 30th June for the Early Bird reduced Registration rate for the Donegal Marathon draws near, Chairman Dessie Larkin reminisces with Donegal’s very own Danny McDaid, Double Marathon Olympian and winner of the last competitive marathon to take place in […]
- LETTERKENNY LAUNCHES ITS CLEANER COMMUNITY CAMPAIGN 2013
The launch of Letterkenny's Cleaner Community Campaign 2013 took place this morning at the Market Square with Mayor Dessie Larkin along with Town Councillors, Council Officials, representatives from Cara House, members of Tidy Towns Committee, Toni Forrester Chamber of […]
- ‘I WILL TURN ROCKHILL HOUSE INTO THE NEW LISSADELL’ SAYS NEW OWNER EXCLUSIVE: The new owner of Rockhill House in Letterkenny has promised to return the mansion to its former glory for the people of Co Donegal.
In an exclusive interview with Donegal Daily, John Molloy has said he wants to restore every part of the 70 room house and turn it into […]
- INDEPENDENT COUNCILLOR JOHN CAMPBELL CHOSEN AS NEW MAYOR OF COUNTY COUNCIL BREAKING NEWS: Independent councillor John Campbell is to be elected the new chairman of Donegal County Council.
An all-party inclusive agreement will see the Mountcharles man elected to the position.
It had been reported that Sinn Fein’s Jack Murray was to be the new chairman but […]
- CELEBRATING PEACE III AT LYIT! SHOWPEACE Conference in Letterkenny successfully celebrates the work of the PEACE III Programme.
‘Peace-building’ was the definitive message of the day at the SHOWPEACE Conference, hosted recently by the Donegal CDB Peace & Reconciliation Partnership in Letterkenny Institute of […]
- CLLR KENNEDY ‘APPALLED’ AT LATEST TURBINE ACCIDENT
Cllr Niamh Kennedy says she is appalled at the latest wind turbine accident near Drumkeen where a blade disintegrated on a turbine.
The malfunction is believed to have occurred last Thursday night or in the early hours of Friday morning at the Meenanilta wind farm near […]
- CHILDREN TO LEAD MAGGIE TO HER FINAL RESTING PLACE A guard of honour from Glenswilly National School will leave Letterkenny woman Maggie Doherty (nee Dorrian) to her final resting place today.
The loving mother of five, who was just 34, passed away at Letterkenny General Hospital on Saturday morning after a brave battle with […]
- DONEGAL PEACE III PARTNERSHIP PARTICIPATES IN BRUSSELS CONFERENCE
Donegal County Council was invited by the Special EU Programmes Body to showcase a range of projects funded under the PEACE III Programme through the Donegal Peace & Reconciliation Partnership which is led by the Council.
This conference which was organised by the European […]
- BROCHURE PUSHING LETTERKENNY’S INDUSTRY HUB TO BE LAUNCHED A brochure pushing Letterkenny as County Donegal’s centre for business, commerce and industry is to be launched next week.
The brochure is the brainchild of Letterkenny Town Council in conjunction with Donegal County Council and Donegal County Development Board.
The brochure […]
- TIP O’NEILL’S LEGACY LIVES ON IN DONEGAL Thomas P. O’Neill III, the son of Tip O'Neill, has talked about his father and what the Irish Diaspora Award and Donegal means to him.
The O’Neill roots run deep here in Donegal and all over Ireland, with generations of friends and family and it is really no surprise that Thomas […]
- LAST SHOUT GOES OUT FOR DONEGAL MOUNTAIN RESCUE RECRUITS The Donegal Mountain Rescue Team is recruiting again in an ongoing drive to replenish and grow the Team.
Last February the Team recruited nine new trainee Responders who will go through a personal assessment later this year.
Team PRO Joseph Brennan explains; “That programme is […]
- NIKKI’S FIGHT FOR FITNESS: NIKKI REFLECTS ON HER JOURNEY SO FAR Hi Guys,
Hope you are all having a productive Friday! As this is my seventh week with Donegal Daily I thought I would leave out the fitness side of things and do some reminiscing.
The response I have received from my blog fightingfitforewings.wordpress.com and from you all here on […]
- GARTAN OUTDOOR EDUCTION CENTRE LAUNCHES FANTASTIC NEW WEBSITE Gartan Outdoor Education and Training Centre, have launched a fantastic new website.
Previously, it was called Gartan Outdoor Education Centre, the slight change in name is very deliberate.
It more properly reflects our full role as leaders in Outdoor Learning, and in Outdoor […]
- CORA HARVEY: WHY I’M QUITTING COUNCIL POLITICS
Sinn Fein County Councillor Cora Harvey has today announced that she will not be seeking nomination to run in the forthcoming Local Elections next year.
In a statement released by the party Cllr Harvey, a the county's first female Mayor. has said: “It is with regret that I will […]
- MAYOR SAYS THOSE WHO ATTACKED TREES SHOULD BE FLOGGED WITH BRANCHES
The Mayor of Letterkenny, Cllr Gerry McMonagle has reacted with fury after vandals attacked mature trees on the main road into the town.
The vandals tore a number of branches from mature trees at Port Road overnight.
The route is a popular one with walkers and the council […]
- RESIDENTS REFUSE TO PLAY BALL WITH RAPHOE TOWN FC OVER NEW GROUND A decision to grant planning permission to Raphoe Town Football Club for a new clubhouse has been appealed to An Bord Pleanala.
Conditional permission was granted by Donegal County Council for the development at Drumineney, Raphoe but the development is now under doubt.
- STRATEGY FOR SOCIAL, CULTURAL AND ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT IN DONEGAL LAUNCHED Donegal County Development Board has launched its new County Strategy for the economic, social and cultural development of County Donegal over the period 2012-2014.
The Strategy has been developed following extensive consultation and will provide a platform for a range of new and […]
- IT’S ALL IN THE NAME – MUFF IS THRIVING! One of Ireland’s most-strangely named villages is beating the recession by cashing in on its name.
For years people have smirked at the signs welcoming them to the Inishowen village of Muff.
But now locals have brushed aside suggestions to rename the village because they like it […]
- CRUEL MCGREGOR TAUNTS DUFFY OVER UFC WITHDRAWAL Conor McGregor has risked the wrath of Donegal MMA fans by poking fun at the Joseph Duffy online.
Duffy was left devastated when UFC medical chiefs determined he was unfit to face Dustin Poirier on Saturday night - after suffering concussion in sparring.
Duffy was the headline […]