Well known Letterkenny born and bred Fianna Fáil councillor Dessie Larkin has recently been appointed as Town Mayor. Cllr. Larkin was first elected to the council in 1998 and this will be his second time as Mayor. Having previously worked in Unifi, Cllr. Larkin has held a number of roles including Chairman of the Peace III Partnership Board and Chairman of the Donegal County Development Board. The married father of four has a great love for Donegal and is this week’s choice for ‘My Donegal’.
By Caoimhe Ní Chathail
What is your favourite place in Donegal and why?
I love the area up around Ardara and Glencolmcille, obviously for the scenery but also for the nature of the people in that area too. I have to say I’m always drawn towards it so it would be one of my favourite places in Donegal.
If you could change one thing about Donegal what would it be?
It would be a motorway into it.
Who is the one person in Donegal that you look up to and why?
There are a lot of people with different skills and disciplines but I would have to say, and funny enough some people would probably pick me up on it and say he’s a Tyrone man but I would consider him a Donegal man, Brian Friel because I think his use of obviously words and the way he can write stories is unbelievable and the way he has portrayed those stories in and around Ireland and especially Donegal. I’m a huge admirer of Brian Friel. I think he’s a wonderfully talented man.
Daniel O’Donnell or Packie Bonner?
I would have to say, seeing as I’m a big soccer head, Packie Bonner.
What has been Donegal’s proudest moment in recent years?
Donegal winning the Ulster final last year.
What has been Donegal’s saddest moment?
I think any of the road tragedies, especially where there were multiple lives lost and unfortunately it’s something that’s associated with Donegal.
What is your favourite Donegal-made product?
It has to be Football Special!
Who is Donegal’s greatest ambassador around the world and why?
We’ve been very fortunate, we have quite a few. I think Daniel O’Donnell has been phenomenal because he has portrayed the county all around the world and he has also done it in a way that is non-controversial but at the same time it has attracted people to the county.
Who is Donegal’s most successful businessperson in your opinion?
Jason and Sharon Black.
Who is your favourite Donegal sportsperson of all time?
I would have to say Shay Given.
What is your favourite Donegal restaurant?
I think Letterkenny is spoilt for choice but one of my favourite restaurants is actually over in Dunkineely in Castle Murray House.
Donegal’s golden eagles or basking sharks?
Your nomination for Donegal’s most stylish person?
I have to say my wife, Mary!
What is your favourite Donegal saying or expression?
“One for the road!”
More from Donegal Daily
- NEW MAYOR LARKIN VOWS TO BRING NEW ECONOMIC HEART TO LETTERKENNY’S MAIN STREET The new Mayor of Letterkenny is Fianna Fail councillor Dessie Larkin.
Cllr Larkin has just received his chain of office from outgoing Mayor Gerry McMonagle of Sinn Fein at the town council offices.
Speaking to donegaldaily.com moments after his election, Mayor Larkin vowed to […]
- LARKIN TIPPED TO BECOME NEXT MAYOR OF LETTERKENNY Town councillor and county councillor Dessie Larkin looks likely to be named as the new Mayor of Letterkenny.
Current Mayor Gerry McMonagle, Sinn Fein, hands over his chain of office, on June 27th at the council’s AGM.
In recent years a power-sharing pact has existed within the […]
- DESSIE SHOWS HIS SUPPORT FOR SUNDAY MORNING ACADEMY Cllr. Dessie Larkin makes a presentation to the St. Eunan’s GAA Minor Board during the Sunday Morning Academy.
Pictured with Dessie are Sunday Morning Academy co-ordinator Ciaran Maguire and Minor Board Chair Person Pauric Daly.
- MAYOR OF LETTERKENNY CALLS SPECIAL MEETING TO DISCUSS LOCAL GOVERNMENT REFORM The Mayor of Letterkenny has convened a special meeting of the town council to discuss the proposed Local Government Reform.
Cllr Dessie Larkin has called the meeting of local councillors for Monday next at 6pm at the Public Services Centre.
This is the first time in recent years […]
- CLLRS ALCORN, LARKIN AND O’DOCHARTAIGH TO BE INVESTIGATED OVER EXPENSE CLAIMS Donegal County Council has confirmed that allegations against three county councillors have now been sent to investigators at the Standards in Public Office.
The allegations, which were received anonymously, relate to claims made for conferences and other events between 2006 and […]
- FORMER MAYOR LARKIN PLANS TO FIGHT ALLEGATIONS ALL THE WAY Former Mayor of Donegal Dessie Larkin said he full intends to contest allegations that he claimed expenses from two state agencies for travel on the same day.
The Standards in Public Office Commission found he broke ethics legislation by claiming expenses from the local authority and […]
- DANNY McDAID – THE TIME IS RIGHT FOR A MARATHON IN DONEGAL
As the closing date of the 30th June for the Early Bird reduced Registration rate for the Donegal Marathon draws near, Chairman Dessie Larkin reminisces with Donegal’s very own Danny McDaid, Double Marathon Olympian and winner of the last competitive marathon to take place in […]
- POSTER BOY LARKIN DENIES HE HAS DONE A U-TURN ON ELECTION
Outgoing County Councillor Dessie Larkin has denied he has done a u-turn and is standing for election again.
Donegal Daily has received a number of calls about Cllr Larkin’s situation after a massive poster appeared on his behalf in Letterkenny.
The billboard poster is situated […]
- DESSIE LARKIN IS ANNOUNCED AS NEW LETTERKENNY TOWN MANAGER The recently formed Letterkenny Town team has announced the appointment of Mr Dessie Larkin as the new Town Centre Manager.
Mr Larkin, a former town and county councillor, recently retired from local politics.
On announcing the appointment, Mark Bundschu, who has been leading the […]
- LETTERKENNY LAUNCHES ITS CLEANER COMMUNITY CAMPAIGN 2013
The launch of Letterkenny's Cleaner Community Campaign 2013 took place this morning at the Market Square with Mayor Dessie Larkin along with Town Councillors, Council Officials, representatives from Cara House, members of Tidy Towns Committee, Toni Forrester Chamber of […]
- ‘I WILL TURN ROCKHILL HOUSE INTO THE NEW LISSADELL’ SAYS NEW OWNER EXCLUSIVE: The new owner of Rockhill House in Letterkenny has promised to return the mansion to its former glory for the people of Co Donegal.
In an exclusive interview with Donegal Daily, John Molloy has said he wants to restore every part of the 70 room house and turn it into […]
- SHOCK AS DEAD CALF HAS TAGS REMOVED AND DUMPED AT ROADSIDE
People have been left shocked after a calf had its identity tags removed and was dumped at a roadside on the outskirts of Letterkenny.
The black and white Friesian calf was dumped at Kirkstown close to the Glencar Road around 5pm yesterday evening.
A person out walking made the […]
- PETTIGO TO BENEFIT FROM €8.3M CROSS-BORDER BOOST A major milestone has been marked with the launch of the construction phase of the PEACE III Pettigo Tullyhommon Termon Project on the Donegal Fermanagh border.
Northern Minister Nelson McCausland and Minister of State Dinny McGinley were present to launch this €8.3m EU funded scheme, […]
- PROJECT FOR BORDER VILLAGES TO BE LAUNCHED The Border Villages Social Integration Project will be formally launched by Cllr. Dessie Larkin Chairperson of the Donegal CDB Peace & Reconciliation Partnership on at the An Grianan Hotel in Burt tomorrow.
Donegal County Council is the lead partner on the project working in […]
- INDEPENDENT COUNCILLOR JOHN CAMPBELL CHOSEN AS NEW MAYOR OF COUNTY COUNCIL BREAKING NEWS: Independent councillor John Campbell is to be elected the new chairman of Donegal County Council.
An all-party inclusive agreement will see the Mountcharles man elected to the position.
It had been reported that Sinn Fein’s Jack Murray was to be the new chairman but […]
- LARKIN TO BE ANNOUNCED AS MAYOR OF LETTERKENNY Letterkenny born and bred – and now Letterkenny man Dessie Larkin is to become the town’s new Mayor.
The Fianna Fail town councillor and county councillor is to become Letterkenny’s first citizen tomorrow night.
The announcement is expected to be made under a power-sharing […]
- CLLR KENNEDY ‘APPALLED’ AT LATEST TURBINE ACCIDENT
Cllr Niamh Kennedy says she is appalled at the latest wind turbine accident near Drumkeen where a blade disintegrated on a turbine.
The malfunction is believed to have occurred last Thursday night or in the early hours of Friday morning at the Meenanilta wind farm near […]
- THE CHEQUE MAY BE IN THE ‘POST’ – FROM DONEGAL’S FORGETFUL CANDIDATES
Some election candidates may be feeling a little hard-done-by after the weekend's count.
But the bad news is that candidates could find themselves with a financial headache if they don't remove their posters.
A spokesperson for Donegal County Council confirmed candidates have […]
- CELEBRATING PEACE III AT LYIT! SHOWPEACE Conference in Letterkenny successfully celebrates the work of the PEACE III Programme.
‘Peace-building’ was the definitive message of the day at the SHOWPEACE Conference, hosted recently by the Donegal CDB Peace & Reconciliation Partnership in Letterkenny Institute of […]
- €4.5 MILLION ANNOUNCED FOR DONEGAL PROJECTS UNDER PEACE PROGRAMME More than €4.5 million will be invested in projects across Donegal over the next three years.
The money, which will be allocated to a number of projects, is part of the Donegal Peace III Action Plan 2011-2013.
The announcement was made by Cllr Dessie Larkin, Chair of Donegal County […]