Donegal’s GAA heroes made history at Clones today after overcoming Down in the Ulster Senior Football Championship final.
It was the first time in the county’s history that Donegal had won back-to-back Ulster titles.
Thousands of fans poured onto St Tiernach’s Park at the end of the game to join in the wild celebrations after Donegal outscored the Mournemen 2-18 to 0-13.
At times the game was exhilarating; Donegal showing some wonderful football.
At all times it was nerve-jangling for the green and gold army who poured in their thousands into the Co Monaghan town from early morning.
Ryan Bradley, Frank McGlynn and Leo McLoone had terrific games for Donegal.
The Ulster champions return to the county tonight with the Anglo-Celt still aboard the team bus.
For now, we’re all off to the pub….if we can find one with any room in Clones! Enjoy!
More from Donegal Daily
- TIR CHONAILL ABÚ: CAPTAIN MURPHY SAYS HARD WORK WAS KEY TO VICTORY! DONEGAL Captain Michael Murphy said sweet victory over Kildare at Croke Park in the All-Ireland Quarter Final was just reward for the hard work put into the county effort by the players and management team. Murphy revealed that he played through the pain barrier when he came on as a […]
- ST EUNAN’S COLLEGE CROWNED MacLARNON CUP CHAMPS AFTER DERBY WIN OVER INIS EOGHAIN ST EUNAN'S College lifted the MacLarnon Cup in an historic St Patrick's Day derby final against Coláistí Inis Eoghain in Armagh today. The excellent Niall O'Donnell won a crucial penalty in the dying embers of the game before adding a point himself to see the Letterkenny college […]
- HISTORIC DAY IN CLONES: DONEGAL CROWNED ULSTER SENIOR AND MINOR CHAMPIONS Donegal 0-15 Monaghan 1-09 Donegal have been crowned Ulster Senior Football champions for the third time in four years after a hard-fought three-point win over Monaghan in an historic day in Clones this afternoon. It is the first time Donegal has won both the senior and minor […]
- MASSIVE BOOST FOR DONEGAL AS LEO MCLOONE RETURNS TO COUNTY SQUAD Donegal have received a massive boost with the news that Leo McLoone has returned to full training with Rory Gallagher's squad this evening in Ballyshannon. McLoone opted not to re-join the squad when Rory Gallagher took over citing that he wanted to take time out to go […]
- PAWFECT! DONEGAL ARE TOP DOGS OF ULSTER! They said we were ‘barking mad’ to dream of two Ulster titles in a row. But Jim McGuinness and his men were top dogs last night after collaring Down to capture the Anglo Celt Cup in Clones yesterday. A huge army of Donegal fans travelled to Monaghan hoping to make history. And […]
- BACK TO BACK! CATHAL MACSUIBHNE’S GAA BLOG History was achieved in the most emphatic fashion imaginable in Clones yesterday – Donegal obliterated Down in the closing stages to put the gloss on back to back Ulster titles. The game followed a pattern which we’ve become accustomed to now with this side – let the opposition run […]
- CLUB V COUNTY: MORE CLUB FIXTURES FOR THIS WEEKEND POSTPONED The age-old club versus county debate has raised its head once more following the decision by the CCC this morning to postpone a number of league games fixed for this weekend. St Michael's, Gaoth Dobhair and Glenfin refused to field last weekend in their respective league […]
- GAA FANS LEFT OUT IN COLD AS VANDALS TARGET LETTERKENNY BUS OPERATOR BREAKING NEWS: Dozens of GAA fans are crying foul after a well-known Letterkenny bus company operator was targeted by vandals. The loyal Donegal fans had planned to travel to Clones this Sunday for the Ulster Final with bus operator Cathal McGettigan. But Mr McGettigan’s fleet of […]
- DONEGAL SCHOOL GRANTED €58K FOR NEW ASTRO TURF PITCH Minister of State for Gaeltacht Affairs Joe McHugh has announced a grant of €57,954 for the Board of Management at Scoil an tSratha Mhóír, Stramore, to help them develop an astro-turf pitch. Announcing the grant, Minister McHugh said he was making this grant available on the […]
- HAY – HAVE YOU SEEN DONEGAL’S BIGGEST SUPPORTER YET? They have spent two days building him and now Donegal’s largest mascot is almost ready! They’re calling him Murphy down at the Donegal Creameries yard in Letterkenny and he has already become an instant celebrity. Staff at the Creameries, who are the official sponsors of the […]
- THE HISTORY BOYS AS COLÁISTE AILIGH WIN FIRST EVER SENIOR COUNTY FOOTBALL TITLE COLÁISTE Ailigh's senior boys gaelic footballers have made history today - lifting the school's first senior B Championship. They defeated Gairmscoil Chú Uladh of Béal an Átha Móir at O'Donnell Park today in a thrilling game 1-12 to 0-09 with Padraig Ó Riain hitting the […]
- JOY AT CROKER: DONEGAL MINORS REACH FIRST EVER ALL-IRELAND FINAL Donegal 1-12 Dublin 1-11 Donegal's minor footballers have made history by reaching their first ever All-Ireland semi-final after defeating Dublin by a single point in a thrilling semi-final clash at Croke Park this afternoon. However, at one stage it looked ominous for Declan […]
- CRIME ALERT: GARDAI HUNT GANG USING SCAM TO CON ELDERLY Gardai are hunting a gang disguised as Gardai and calling on the homes of elderly people pretending to be checking forged money. The gang have already called to a number of homes in the Glenfin area of the county. The two man gang, who were dressed in suits, pretended to be […]
- ANGRY DONEGAL MANAGER TURNS ON RTE PUNDITS FOR POKING FUN AT COUNTY DONEGAL manager Jim McGuinness has rounded on critics of his team - claiming RTE pundits had disrespected his players. McGuinness described the broadcasting pundits reaction to Donegal's victory over Antrim as "way over the top". And he was furious by comments made on 'The Sunday […]
- DONEGAL ULSTER CHAMPIONS: PLAYERS HAIL MAESTRO McGUINNESS DONEGAL are on their way home tonight with the Anglo-Celt after winning the Ulster Championship against Derry today - with the players praising Donegal manager Jim McGuinness for securing the first Ulster title for the county in 19 years. Donegal won the game by six points - 1-11 to […]
- GAA: DONEGAL WILL PLAY KERRY NEXT SUNDAY AT 4PM DONEGAL will continue their bid for All-Ireland glory at Croke Park next Sunday, with a 4pm throw-in. The game will be the second quarter-final of a double header. Cork will face Kildare in Croke Park at 2pm. Following a meeting of the CCCC in Thurles this evening Down will face […]
- GAA NOTES: GAEIL FHANADA Our Senior team were narrowly beaten in their fixture v Kilcar in Páirc Uí Shiadhail on Saturday evening last, the Reserve match was postponed due to Kilcars involvement in the Reserve Championship Final on Sunday. The Club extend condolences to the McHugh family and all associated […]
- JIM’S ARMY DESCEND ON CROKER AS SEARCH TO REGAIN SAM HOTS UP The sandwiches are made. The jerseys are ironed and the diesel is in the car. Let the journey begin! More than 20,000 Donegal fans head to Croke Park today for the serious end of the All-Ireland championship. It’s ‘do or die’ for Jim McGuinness’ men as they look to dispose of […]
- DDTV: VIDEO FOOTAGE OF DONEGAL FANS’ CLONES PITCH INVASION DDTV: DONEGAL fan (and donegaldaily.com fan) Ciara Hennigan had the perfect view at Clones on Sunday - to film the green and gold invasion of the pitch at the final whistle. The GAA tried to ban fans from enjoying the presentation of the Anglo-Celt. But […]
- TICKET FRENZY HITS DONEGAL AS GAA PREDICT FIRST CROKER SELL-OUT OF 2011 It may still be more than two weeks away but Croke Park bosses are already predicting the All Ireland football semi-final clash between Donegal and Dublin could be their first sell-out of 2011. Ticket-frenzy has hit Donegal with thousands of people having already secured their […]