Donegal’s GAA heroes made history at Clones today after overcoming Down in the Ulster Senior Football Championship final.
It was the first time in the county’s history that Donegal had won back-to-back Ulster titles.
Thousands of fans poured onto St Tiernach’s Park at the end of the game to join in the wild celebrations after Donegal outscored the Mournemen 2-18 to 0-13.
At times the game was exhilarating; Donegal showing some wonderful football.
At all times it was nerve-jangling for the green and gold army who poured in their thousands into the Co Monaghan town from early morning.
Ryan Bradley, Frank McGlynn and Leo McLoone had terrific games for Donegal.
The Ulster champions return to the county tonight with the Anglo-Celt still aboard the team bus.
For now, we’re all off to the pub….if we can find one with any room in Clones! Enjoy!
More from Donegal Daily
- ALL ROADS LEAD TO CLONES AS DONEGAL BID FOR GAA HISTORY Jim McGuinness and his team can take a huge step in their masterplan for All Ireland glory today. And a sell-out crowd of close to 36,000 fans are expected at Fr Tierney Park in Clones to see that challenge. Donegal may be favourites for today’s Ulster Final but a determined Down […]
- 30,000 DONEGAL FANS SET TO DESCEND ON CROKE PARK AN estimated 30,000 Donegal fans are set to turn Croke Park green and gold on Sunday. With Jim McGuinness's side set to face Mayo in a repeat of last year's All-Ireland Final, supporters from across Ireland and beyond have been snapping up all available tickets. Last year's […]
- DONEGAL TO PLAY LAOIS IN CARRICK-ON-SHANNON DONEGAL will play Laois in the Round 4 All-Ireland Qualifier in Carrick-on-Shannon, County Leitrim. Throw-in for the game is at 5pm this Saturday. With a double header set for Croke Park, RTE has decided to broadcast from there. It's not known yet if TV3 will cover the Donegal […]
- ST EUNAN’S COLLEGE CROWNED MacLARNON CUP CHAMPS AFTER DERBY WIN OVER INIS EOGHAIN ST EUNAN'S College lifted the MacLarnon Cup in an historic St Patrick's Day derby final against Coláistí Inis Eoghain in Armagh today. The excellent Niall O'Donnell won a crucial penalty in the dying embers of the game before adding a point himself to see the Letterkenny college […]
- MAYOR WISHES DONEGAL GOOD LUCK FOR BIG GAME The Mayor of Donegal Cllr. Frank McBrearty, on behalf of the elected members, management and staff of Donegal County Council would like to wish Jim McGuinness and the Donegal team all the best for their all Ireland final next Sunday. Speaking after Monday's Council meeting the Mayor […]
- TIR CHONAILL ABÚ: CAPTAIN MURPHY SAYS HARD WORK WAS KEY TO VICTORY! DONEGAL Captain Michael Murphy said sweet victory over Kildare at Croke Park in the All-Ireland Quarter Final was just reward for the hard work put into the county effort by the players and management team. Murphy revealed that he played through the pain barrier when he came on as a […]
- ALL ROADS LEAD TO CAVAN AS MCGUINNESS’ ARMY MARCHES ON Jim McGuinness’ army is on the march again today. Having convincingly dispatched of Tyrone in the first round, Donegal are hoping to add the scalp of Down to their Ulster Championship war-chest. A third consecutive Ulster Final appearance awaits the Donegal team if they manage to […]
- IT’S A TREBLE HEADER! DONEGAL LADIES CHAMPIONSHIP GAME TIMED TO PERFECTION DONEGAL'S senior ladies footballers got some great news today - their Ulster semi-final clash with Armagh has been fixed after the men and minors take on Antrim. Donegal's Senior Men play Antrim in Clones on Sunday week (June 22) at 2pm, just after the Men's Minors (12.15pm). The […]
- HEARTACHE AS CONVOY LOSES COMPANY AND TEN JOBS AFTER 60 YEARS IN BUSINESS TEN people have lost their jobs at wholesale food business in Convoy. BWG Foods says it's closing its business formerly known as Morris Brothers. It says 17 of the 27 staff are being transferred to its Value Centre business in Letterkenny but that 10 other members of staff will […]
- NICE AND THREE-SY DOES IT BUT MCGUINNESS WARNS ABOUT MONAGHAN HUNGER The jerseys have been washed, the sandwiches made and the car is filled with diesel. All roads lead to Clones today as Jim McGuinness and co plot their third Ulster Final win in-a-row. Some 15,000 Donegal supporters are expected to make the trip to Clones to see their team make […]
- PICTURE SPECIAL: WEAR YOUR COUNTY COLOURS DAY The county was awash with green and gold on Friday as schools and businesses from tip to toe of the county celebrated the countywide ‘Wear Your County Colours Day’ campaign in support of the 2013 Donegal GAA Senior Football Team Training Fund. Schools and organisations […]
- DONEGAL CANTER TO VICTORY OVER A FLAT DERRY SIDE Donegal 2-13 Derry 0-9: Donegal cantered to an easy win against Derry at MacCumhaill Park this afternoon. Donegal dismantled a poor Derry side with a fine team performance that was probably over as a contest at half-time. Tyrone will be a completely different task in the semi-final […]
- GAA NEWS: MCGUINNESS WINS GAME POSTPONEMENT, BUT CRITICISM FROM CLUBS DONEGAL Senior Football manager Jim McGuinness has tonight won a deferral in the playing of senior club games until after the Ulster final clash with Down. Senior club and intermediate games are being deferred until August 12. Junior A and B championship matches will however go […]
- HISTORIC DAY IN CLONES: DONEGAL CROWNED ULSTER SENIOR AND MINOR CHAMPIONS Donegal 0-15 Monaghan 1-09 Donegal have been crowned Ulster Senior Football champions for the third time in four years after a hard-fought three-point win over Monaghan in an historic day in Clones this afternoon. It is the first time Donegal has won both the senior and minor […]
- RTE CALL IT EMBARRASSING BUT DONEGAL OVERCOME ANTRIM IN ULSTER CHAMPIONSHIP RTE pundits Colm O’Rourke and Joe Brolly may have called it ‘puke football’ and ‘embarrassing’ but Donegal picked up their first Ulster Championship win for four years at MacCumhaill Park in Ballybofey this afternoon. Just over 5,000 fans braved the elements to watch what turned out […]
- MASSIVE BOOST FOR DONEGAL AS LEO MCLOONE RETURNS TO COUNTY SQUAD Donegal have received a massive boost with the news that Leo McLoone has returned to full training with Rory Gallagher's squad this evening in Ballyshannon. McLoone opted not to re-join the squad when Rory Gallagher took over citing that he wanted to take time out to go […]
- McGUINNESS PROMISES TO LIFT HIS TEAM FOR ALL-IRELAND CLASH WITH LAOIS DONEGAL manager Jim McGuinness was gracious in defeat to Monaghan in the Ulster SFC Final at Clones, and then vowed to find out what went wrong with his All-Ireland champions. A six-point defeat to the hosts today saw a deflated and often jaded-looking Donegal team second to most […]
- MONAGHAN WRECK DONEGAL’S ULSTER TREBLE HOPES IN CLONES WHO would have written this script? Who would have dreamt of such a scoreline? Donegal 0-7, Monaghan 0-13. The shock defeat plunges Donegal into the qualifiers next weekend against Laois. And on Sunday evening the bookies' pushed Donegal's odds of retaining the Sam Maguire out […]
- IT’S THE BATTLE OF CLONES 2 AS MONAGHAN SET UP ULSTER FINAL WITH DONEGAL THIS year's Ulster Final is set to be a repeat of last year - Donegal v Monaghan in Clones. The current champions beat Armagh in the semi-final replay today with five points to spare. Much was made of Donegal's defeat to Monaghan last year. So Jim McGuinness and his team will be […]
- MCGUINNESS: “WE FOUND A WAY TO WIN WITHIN THE RULES” Donegal manager Jim McGuinness has admitted the most pleasing aspect of yesterday's Ulster Championship semi-final win was the fact they got over the line without many of their key players. Donegal were without the influential Karl Lacey and Neil Gallagher from the start and lost Ryan […]