TOURISTS lighting a Chinese lantern on a warm summer’s evening could have caused an inferno at Carrickfin airport, it has emerged.
The lantern eventually landed in a runway at the airport, not far from fuel tanks.
Passerby Michael Connolly witnessed the incident at around 9.30pm on Friday evening.
“I witnessed a number of people some distance away from me, on the road adjacent to the airport runway sending the burning lantern into the air,” he told Donegal Daily.
“There were two cars involved, one was a red Renault car and the other a dark coloured Volvo estate both with yellow UK rear number plates.
“They drove off immediately after sending the burning lantern into the air.”
Airport security officer Brian Boyle (pictured with lantern) described the incident as “mindless and stupid.”
Mr Boyle said: “The location where the lantern landed is only yards from where thousands of gallons of aviation fuel are stored and the airport is surrounded in dry crisp vegetation which is also highly flammable this time of year.”
The airport authorities accept that the incident was probably an innocent thing to do – but it could have had serious consequences.
More from Donegal Daily
- PEOPLE WARNED ABOUT RELEASING LANTERNS ACROSS DONEGAL The Irish Aviation Authority has warned Donegal people about the dangers of releasing Chinese-style lanterns into the sky tonight to mark the beginning of the New Year.
Spokesman for the IAA Paddy Kennedy said the lanterns have become hugely popular in recent years.
However Mr […]
- DONEGAL PILOT (73) HAD LUCKY ESCAPE AFTER 1940s PLANE FLIPPED OVER
A 73-YEAR-old Donegal pilot managed to escape injury when his plane - built in 1949 - flipped over on landing, air accident investigators have found.
The aircraft was landing on Runway 15 at Enniskillen, having flown in from Letterkenny Airfield, when the incident happened, says a […]
- GOVERNMENT MUST COMMIT TO DERRY-DUBLIN AIR ROUTE – DOHERTY
Councillor Gary Doherty has called on the government to commit to providing funding for the proposed Derry-Dublin air route.
Councillor Doherty’s calls come following a recent request made by authorities at City of Derry Airport for the Government to allocate funding for the route […]
- DONEGAL AIRPORT SHOCK: ‘I’LL END SUBSIDY’ SAYS MINISTER VARADKAR HE'S not the most popular Minister in Co Donegal at the minute, having shelved cash for the A5.
Now people who fly from Donegal to Dublin - because our roads are so dangerous and poor - are being targeted by Transport Minister Leo Varadkar.
He has warned that taxpayers cash for […]
- DONEGAL PLANE FORCED TO TURN BACK AFTER ENCOUNTERING MASSIVE LIGHTNING STORM
EXCLUSIVE: A plane flying from Dublin to Carrickfin Airport has been forced to turned back after it encountered tonight's massive lightning in Donegal.
The plane, EI3408, left Dublin Airport at 7pm with a number of passengers on board.
However the Aer Lingus plane was then […]
- DONEGAL PASSENGERS CAN SAVE UP TO 30% BY BOOKING ONLINE AT KNOCK AIRPORT
Thousands of Donegal residents regularly frequent Knock Airport every year because of its brilliant cheap offers on exotic destinations.
Well now management at Knock Airport are set to reward you even further by offering passengers a whopping 30% off parking when you book […]
- GORSE FIRE HELL: THE INCREDIBLE AERIAL PICTURES OF THE UNENDING INFERNO THIS was the incredible scene of the Donegal gorse fires last night - taken from 3,000 feet above the inferno.
Gaoth Dobhair man Padraig O'Gallachoir took the sequence of helicopter pictures as he prepared to board an Aer Arann flight from Carrickfin to Dublin last night.
He took […]
- DONEGALTV DOCUMENTARY ON ROAD TO CROKER TO AIR ON SKY TONIGHT
A DonegalTV special on Donegal's march to Croke Park is to be broadcast tonight on SKY TV.
For viewers in Donegal, Ireland and the UK, the documentary will air on Sky Bonanza Channel 266 at 7pm this evening.
For viewers in America the special will air at 3pm on worldview & […]
- CROOK FRANCOIS SHOCK! GUNMEN OPEN FIRE ON FORMER ASSOCIATE GUNMEN have tried to murder a financial adviser and associate of investment crook Francois de Dietrich.
The Co Donegal man escaped injury when a gunman opened fire on his car near Belleek at lunchtime on Monday, donegaldaily.com learned today.
The intended victim of the murder bid […]
- ATHLETICS NEWS: ROSSES ATHLETE SASKIA BOYLE IN TOP FORM IN DUBLIN Last weekend saw the All Ireland evens age group take place in Santry, Dublin. Well done to Saskia Boyle and Mia Baikie with good runs from both girls and Saskia finishing fourth counter for the Donegal team and Mia sixth counter for Donegal team.
Reminder to all that the Juvenile […]
- BREAKING NEWS: VEHICLES DESTROYED IN BLAZE AT LETTERKENNY GENERAL HOSPITAL BREAKING NEWS: A number of vehicles have been destroyed during a blaze at the car park of Letterkenny General Hospital.
It is believed the inferno started when a van caught fire and the inferno spread to two other vehicles parked either side of the van.
Emergency services attended […]
- AER LINGUS LAUNCHES ITS NEW DAILY FLIGHTS TO DUBLIN
Aer Lingus Regional has made its first flight on its brand new service to Donegal.
The service, operated by Stobart Air, flew its first flight from Dublin Airport this morning.
The airline will operate twice daily return flights, seven days a week.
Stobart Air successfully […]
- BRITISH CHANCELLOR RELEASES CASH FOR DERRY-DUBLIN AIR ROUTE Sinn Féin MLA Raymond McCartney has welcomed the release of cash for the establishment of a new Derry/Dublin air service.
The money was earmarked by British chancellor yesterday.
Raymond McCartney said: “While the focus will rightly be on the British Chancellor’s u-turn on tax […]
- MAC GIOLLA EASBUIG TALKING PARTITIONIST NONSENSE AGAIN, SAYS SINN FÉIN MAN
Sinn Féin Councillor Gary Doherty has today responded to comments made by Councillor Micheal Cholm Mac Giolla Easbuig concerning recent calls for funding to be made available to City of Derry Airport as ‘contrived’ and ‘ill-informed’.
Cllr Doherty said: “Comments made today by […]
- DONEGAL FLIGHT CANCELLATIONS CAUSING DISTRESS FOR CANCER PATIENTS – PRINGLE Independent TD Thomas Pringle has called on the Minister for Transport to intervene with the PSO operator Stobart Air at Donegal Airport after recent cancellations of flights left a cancer patient unable to access treatment in Cork.
The Donegal Dail Deputy claims that another Dublin […]
- TV3 LOOKING FOR DONEGAL FAMILIES TO SHARE THEIR ‘COMING HOME FOR CHRISTMAS’ EXPERIENCES TV3 is calling out for Donegal families to share their ‘Coming Home For Christmas’ experiences.
Do you have loved ones or family members living or working abroad? Are they flying home for Christmas this Year? If so, TV3 would love to hear from you.
Presenter Andrea Hayes will be at […]
- BREAKING NEWS: LETTERKENNY GENERAL HOSPITAL FLOODED AGAIN
BREAKING NEWS: FIRE crews and volunteers are working to pump thousands of gallons of water from the car park at the new Emergency Department of Letterkenny General Hospital tonight as water poured into parts of the hospital.
Devastating downpours sent torrents of water gushing […]
- GLOVES OFF FOR EUNAN’S BOYS WITH HANDS-ON VENTURE! Two St.Eunan's students have launched an exciting new business venture as part of their mini-company enterprise project at school.
Oisin Boyle and Hugh O'Donnell have launched their enterprise project which is based on selling the crested gloves of different clubs across the […]
- 2016 SHAPING UP TO BE RECORD YEAR AT IRELAND WEST AIRPORT KNOCK
2016 is shaping up to be the busiest year in the 30 year history of the West of Irelands main international airport - and Donegal customers are set to benefit.
Thanks to the introduction of new flights to Birmingham and Edinburgh with Flybe and a new holiday charter service to […]
- DONEGAL PASSENGERS HELP KNOCK AIRPORT WITH RECORD BREAKING YEAR
2014 has proven to be a record breaking year at Ireland West Airport Knock with Donegal passengers flocking to the airport.
Knock Airport boasted numbers exceeding 700,000 for the first time in the airports 29 year history.
In 2014, the annual number of passengers using the […]