TOURISTS lighting a Chinese lantern on a warm summer’s evening could have caused an inferno at Carrickfin airport, it has emerged.
The lantern eventually landed in a runway at the airport, not far from fuel tanks.
Passerby Michael Connolly witnessed the incident at around 9.30pm on Friday evening.
“I witnessed a number of people some distance away from me, on the road adjacent to the airport runway sending the burning lantern into the air,” he told Donegal Daily.
“There were two cars involved, one was a red Renault car and the other a dark coloured Volvo estate both with yellow UK rear number plates.
“They drove off immediately after sending the burning lantern into the air.”
Airport security officer Brian Boyle (pictured with lantern) described the incident as “mindless and stupid.”
Mr Boyle said: “The location where the lantern landed is only yards from where thousands of gallons of aviation fuel are stored and the airport is surrounded in dry crisp vegetation which is also highly flammable this time of year.”
The airport authorities accept that the incident was probably an innocent thing to do – but it could have had serious consequences.
More from Donegal Daily
- PEOPLE WARNED ABOUT RELEASING LANTERNS ACROSS DONEGAL The Irish Aviation Authority has warned Donegal people about the dangers of releasing Chinese-style lanterns into the sky tonight to mark the beginning of the New Year.
Spokesman for the IAA Paddy Kennedy said the lanterns have become hugely popular in recent years.
However Mr […]
- COUNCIL HEAR OF ATTEMPTS TO GET LETTERKENNY AIRPORT OFF THE GROUND The plan for Letterkenny to get its own airport is about to take to the skies again.
Letterkenny Town Council has heard how Stevenson’s Airfield on the outskirts of the town has the capacity to bring in hunderds of flights and thousands of euro in revenue each year.
But for that to […]
- DDTV VIDEO: INCREDIBLE FOOTAGE OF AIR CORPS HEROES AT WORK
THE DEFENCE Forces have released an incredible video of how they tackled gorse fires in Co Donegal last week.
The footage - taken by the Defence Forces magazine - is now on DDTV and linked in the story above.
The officers on board flew countless hours of sorties over the […]
- DONEGAL PILOT (73) HAD LUCKY ESCAPE AFTER 1940s PLANE FLIPPED OVER
A 73-YEAR-old Donegal pilot managed to escape injury when his plane - built in 1949 - flipped over on landing, air accident investigators have found.
The aircraft was landing on Runway 15 at Enniskillen, having flown in from Letterkenny Airfield, when the incident happened, says a […]
- RAF: ‘OUR PLANES WERE NOT OVER DONEGAL’ BRITAIN'S Royal Air Force has laughed off suggestions that its planes were in operation over County Donegal earlier today.
It followed speculation on social media that three fighter jets were spotted in the skies above the Finn Valley.
It has since emerged the planes were passenger […]
- PRESIDENT McALEESE RELATIVE AMONG CORK PLANE CRASH DEAD A relative of the President McAleese is among the six people killed after a plane from Belfast crashed in fog at Cork Airport this morning.
The Manx2 commuter flight with 10 passengers and two crew on board crashed on the runway on its third attempt to land just before 1000 […]
- RESIDENTS BLOCK IRISH WATER CONTRACTORS AS TENSIONS CONTINUE
VILLAGERS have parked cars and blocked entry points for water meter installers today.
On the second day of protests in Drumkeen, residents last night met to plan their strategy for today.
The work crews arrive at 7am, some of them driving English-registered private […]
- GREEN VEHICLE RECYCLING PREPARE FOR MASSIVE CLEARANCE AUCTION
A massive clearance auction of Plant, Machinery and Vehicles will take place this Saturday at the Green Vehicle recycling facility in Bonagee.
Due to Business expansion Wilson Auctions have been instructed by Green Vehicle Recycling to sell a large Variety of Surplus Cars, Vans, […]
- JOB VACANCIES: ONE OF DONEGAL’S BIGGEST BRANDING COMPANIES ARE HIRING!
JOB VACANCIES: CBM Signs.ie over the last 10 years has established itself as one of the leading sign & branding companies in the country.
Operating across Ireland & the UK from its base on Port Road, Letterkenny they are currently developing a panel of enthusiastic […]
- GOVERNMENT MUST COMMIT TO DERRY-DUBLIN AIR ROUTE – DOHERTY
Councillor Gary Doherty has called on the government to commit to providing funding for the proposed Derry-Dublin air route.
Councillor Doherty’s calls come following a recent request made by authorities at City of Derry Airport for the Government to allocate funding for the route […]
- MALIN HEAD COAST GUARD STATION CO-ORDINATES RESCUE 220 MILES OFF DONEGAL COAST MALIN Head Coast Guard station has helped co-ordinate a long range mission off Donegal.
The station and colleagues in the UK were alerted to serious injuries suffered by a fisherman on a vessel 220 miles off the Donegal coast.
The Rescue 118 chopper was despatched on the hazardous […]
- McHUGH DELIGHTED AS DONEGAL-DUBLIN AIR ROUTE SECURED UNTIL 2017 THE government subsidy of the Donegal to Dublin air route is to be continued until 2017, Transport Minister Paschal O Donohoe has announced.
The PSO - public service obligation - is designed to subsidise flights to the capital from more rural parts of the country.
Sligo and Galway […]
- LOCALS WARNED AFTER BREAK-INS IN ST JOHNSTON/KILLEA AREAS Locals in the St Johnston/Killea area have been warned about suspicious activity after a spate of recent incidents in the area.
A jeep was stolen and there was also an attempted break-in to a house within the past few days.
Locals have been asked to remain vigilant.
Two cars, a […]
- WOW! CHECK OUT THE STUNNING DRONE FOOTAGE OF DONEGAL AIRPORT!
DDTV: Donegal Airport has one of the most spectacular backdrops to any runway in Ireland.
This incredible drone footage from Owen Clarke only reiterates that belief.
The stunning footage captures all that is beautiful about Donegal - and proves we really do live […]
- DONEGAL AIRPORT FACING DIFFICULT TIMES AFTER WORST CHRISTMAS ON RECORD Management at Donegal airport have admitted they are facing an uphill struggle after one of the toughest years on record.
A spokesperson for the airport, which opened in 1986, confirmed to donegaldaily.com that December 2010 was the worst operational month on record.
A total of 32 […]
- DONEGAL AIRPORT SHOCK: ‘I’LL END SUBSIDY’ SAYS MINISTER VARADKAR HE'S not the most popular Minister in Co Donegal at the minute, having shelved cash for the A5.
Now people who fly from Donegal to Dublin - because our roads are so dangerous and poor - are being targeted by Transport Minister Leo Varadkar.
He has warned that taxpayers cash for […]
- DONEGAL PLANE FORCED TO TURN BACK AFTER ENCOUNTERING MASSIVE LIGHTNING STORM
EXCLUSIVE: A plane flying from Dublin to Carrickfin Airport has been forced to turned back after it encountered tonight's massive lightning in Donegal.
The plane, EI3408, left Dublin Airport at 7pm with a number of passengers on board.
However the Aer Lingus plane was then […]
- KNOCK AIRPORT SUCCESS HELPING DONEGAL TOURISM
DONEGAL tourism is being boosted by a massive increase in the number of people using Ireland West Airport at Knock,
Notwithstanding massive challenges within the aviation industry in the last twelve months, Ireland West Airport Knock’s latest traffic figures prove that 2011 […]
- DONEGAL PASSENGERS CAN SAVE UP TO 30% BY BOOKING ONLINE AT KNOCK AIRPORT
Thousands of Donegal residents regularly frequent Knock Airport every year because of its brilliant cheap offers on exotic destinations.
Well now management at Knock Airport are set to reward you even further by offering passengers a whopping 30% off parking when you book […]
- CITY OF DERRY AIRPORT CONTINUES TO SERVE DONEGAL PASSENGERS WITH EXCELLENCE Promoted post
City of Derry Airport, (CODA), is ideally placed to serve not only the city but its natural catchment in County Derry, Donegal, North Antrim, Tyrone and other business districts.
It acts as an important catalyst for in-bound tourism to the region, as well as […]