WHAT a difference a year makes – from so-called ‘puke football’ to the Barcelona of the GAA!
That’s what the pundits are saying today after Donegal’s superb All-Ireland semi-final win over Cork on Sunday.
Double All-Ireland winner Tony Davis stood by his insistence that Donegal played awful defensive gaelic football last year.
But he has changed his mind now about this year’s team – and reckons Donegal play GAA the way Barcelona play soccer!
For McHugh, think Messi, he says.
High praise indeed.
Asked about how Donegal could smother attacks and then break out into attack, Davis said: “That’s the whole key to how Donegal play; it’s like watching Barcelona play – they get the ball back and break out.”
Dinny Allen, the legendary Cork dual player – he won four all-Irelands at football – is regarded as one of the greatest gaelic stars of all-time.
Asked about how Jim McGuinness and his staff had moulded this Donegal team, Dinny said: “It was wonderful to watch.
“I don’t like speaking of other codes but it was like watching a top continental European soccer team, the way they defend, take possession and break out.
“They were the better team on the day and played some great football.”
From a legend like Allen, it doesn’t get any better.
The whole county is buzzing today as Donegal contemplates only our second ever All-Ireland final.
Thoughts are already turning to tickets, with fans hoping Mayo can see off Dublin – fearing the Dubs will mop up tickets for the final in four weeks time.
Let the scramble begin.
More from Donegal Daily
- PREMIERSHIP STAR REVEALS HE IS A BIG FAN OF ONLINE DONEGAL SOCCER PAGE!
DDTV: Aston Villa star Ciaran Clark has revealed he is a big fan of one of Donegal's most popular social media pages.
Soccer Donegal is a Facebook page dedicated exclusively to bringing you all the soccer news as it happens in the county.
The page is hugely popular as it gives […]
- IRELAND’S NEW GOLF SENSATION HAS A DONEGAL CADDY!
GOLF: Ireland's newest golf sensation Paul Dunne has already made an impact on the European tour since turning pro - and he is being guided by a Donegal man!
Dunne hit the headline again last week, when he led the Alfred Dunhill Links after two rounds which also seen him hit a […]
- FORMER FINN HARPS PLAYER KEEPING EX REAL MADRID STAR OUT OF STARTING XI IN DUBAI
Former Finn Harps star James Doherty carved out a reputation as one of the finest right-backs in the LOI and he has enhanced his reputation since moving to Dubai.
Doherty is keeping former Real Madrid and Spanish star Michel Salgado out of the Dubai Irish XI.
Management at […]
- SOCCER AND GAA JOIN FORCES TO GIVE SPORTSTAR MCHUGH A UNIQUE TESTIMONIAL GAME One of Donegal’s best-known sportstars has been rewarded for his contribution to football with a unique testimonial game.
by Mark Forker
Kevin McHugh has played more than 330 games for Finn Harps in an amazing career.
The Killea man will now be rewarded with a unique soccer/GAA […]
- DONEGAL VOCATIONAL SCHOOLS CAPTURE ULSTER TITLE Donegal Vocational Schools shrugged off a quiet start to claim the Ulster Voctional Schools Title at Errigal Ciaran in Tyrone today.
Despite Cavan VS going ahead by 1-3 to no score after just five minutes, Donegal made a spirited comeback to eventually canter home by 3-8 to […]
- FEARS OVER MCBREARTY’S DONEGAL GAA FUTURE AS HE HAS AUSTRALIAN TRIALS Donegal GAA is in a tailspin with the news that the county’s hottest young player could be about to head to Australia to play football.
Patrick McBrearty, the 18 year old star nurtured by manager Jim McGuinness, is now a target for recruiters looking to add his name to a list of […]
- FORMER DONEGAL LADIES MANAGER HITS OUT AT ALL STAR AWARDS
FORMER Donegal senior ladies manager has slammed those who pick the All Stars - saying they must never see games.
Moville's Davy McLaughlin said he was "astonished" to see no players selected at all from two of the provincial champions - his Ulster-winning Donegal side and the […]
- ‘JIM McGUINNESS OFFERED PERFORMANCE COACH JOB AT GLASGOW CELTIC’ Jim McGuinness has been offered a part-time post with Celtic as performance coach with the club's Youth Academy, reports in Glasgow suggest.
The Donegal senior football team manager will retain his position with the GAA as part of the deal if he formally accepts the offer.
- DONEGAL COUNTY STARS MAY WITHDRAW FROM CLUB GAMES DONEGAL'S GAA county heroes may withdraw from club matches next weekend, sources in the camp have told donegaldaily.com.
Manager Jim McGuinness is refusing to be drawn on the issue.
However it's understood that many of the players want to concentrate on preparing for the […]
- RORY KAVANAGH: I BACKED McGUINNESS OVER CASSIDY EXCLUSION – BUT I’M NOT SURE NOW FORMER Donegal county star Rory Kavanagh has revealed how he and other senior players backed Jim McGuinness over the exclusion of Kevin Cassidy from the squad in 2011.
But writing in his biography - Winning: How Donegal Changed The Game Forever - the Letterkenny man says he might have […]
- SPILLANE DEFENDS COMMENTS ABOUT DONEGAL’S “SH’TE” FOOTBALL AND SAYS MOST DONEGAL PEOPLE AGREE! RTE pundit Pat Spillane has defended his criticisms of Donegal’s style of football, claiming he was speaking for the vast majority of people who watched Sunday’s dour All-Ireland semi-final.
As Kevin Cassidy dismissed Tony Davis’ suggestion the Donegal players didn’t enjoy this […]
- DONEGAL FANS MUST STOP HYPING UP TEAM SAYS MCHUGH AS HE TIPS KERRY TO WIN Donegal GAA legend Martin McHugh has tipped Kerry to beat Donegal in this Sunday’s crunch quarter final match at Croke Park.
And the Kilcar pundit says Donegal fans have a lot to answer for by building up their team’s chances.
Writing in today’s Irish Daily Star newspaper, McHugh […]
- GLENTIES SCHOOL CROWNED ALL-IRELAND SOCCER CHAMPIONS!
GLENTIES has another all-Ireland title to celebrate - this time in soccer.
Scoil Mhuire Glenties today became All Ireland Champions in the Girls Primary School Competition at the Aviva Stadium.
Playing Cregmore Galway , Miltown Malbay Clare & Stonepark Longford, the […]
- DONEGAL SFC PREVIEW: DUNGLOE V TERMON
While the excitement of Donegal's epic run to the All-Ireland final had the county captivated all summer, it's back to the bread and butter this weekend with the start of the Donegal SFC.
What better way to get over the hangover of last Sunday's heart-breaking defeat, by enjoying […]
- MASSIVE BOOST FOR DONEGAL AS MARK MCHUGH RETURNS TO TRAINING
Donegal star Mark McHugh has returned to training with Donegal after he was left out of the squad for their Dr McKenna Cup campaign in January.
Rory Gallagher revealed that McHugh was omitted from the squad and would be training on his own.
However, he confirmed that McHugh […]
- GAA PUNDIT MARTY MORRISSEY SET TO STAR AT FINN PARK IN NORTH WEST CELEBRITY CHARITY MATCH GAA commentator Marty Morrissey is switching codes, but it's only for one day, as he has agreed to take part in a North West Celebrity Charity Football match which aims to raise funds for the Bumbleance Ambulance service.
Next Saturday the 13th of September, the stars will line up in […]
- LET THE OLYMPIC GAMES BEGIN: PATSY McGONAGLE FOLLOWS IN THE FOOTSTEPS OF HIS FATHER For Patsy McGonagle, the Finn Valley AC Manager of Ireland's Olympic athletics team it's either the beginning of the journey within the next few hours as he boards a plane for Heathrow or possibly it's the end of a journey that began with the World Championships in Seville in […]
- HARTE STICKS THE BOOT INTO SINN FEIN FOR USE OF SOCCER ‘NO’ POSTERS Senator Jimmy Harte has given Sinn Fein the red card after they use the Irish soccer team to call for a no vote in the Fiscal Treaty.
The posters clearly show images of soccer players in the Irish soccer strip and call for a no vote in Thursday's referendum.
He said as a soccer […]
- SOCCER NEWS: NAKITA BURKE SCORES FIVE GOALS AS LAGAN HARPS HIT GWEEDORE FOR SEVEN Lagan Harps FC
Our ladies teams were in action during the week. Our seniors had a 7-3 win in Gweedore with Nakita Burke(5) and Amanda Callaghan(2) scoring.
Our u/18's drew 3-3 with Fanad Utd. Scorers were Amanda Callaghan, Orla Friel and Ciana Brogan. Our u/16's had a big win in […]
- JIMMY’S WINNING MATCHES! WE’RE IN THE ALL IRELAND FINAL! We’re in seventh heaven!
They said we played our All Ireland final against Kerry and that the mighty Cork would stop our gallop.
But the python that is the Donegal backline squeezed the life out of Cork at Croke Park this afternoon.
Add to that a new found potency about the […]