WHAT a difference a year makes – from so-called ‘puke football’ to the Barcelona of the GAA!
That’s what the pundits are saying today after Donegal’s superb All-Ireland semi-final win over Cork on Sunday.
Double All-Ireland winner Tony Davis stood by his insistence that Donegal played awful defensive gaelic football last year.
But he has changed his mind now about this year’s team – and reckons Donegal play GAA the way Barcelona play soccer!
For McHugh, think Messi, he says.
High praise indeed.
Asked about how Donegal could smother attacks and then break out into attack, Davis said: “That’s the whole key to how Donegal play; it’s like watching Barcelona play – they get the ball back and break out.”
Dinny Allen, the legendary Cork dual player – he won four all-Irelands at football – is regarded as one of the greatest gaelic stars of all-time.
Asked about how Jim McGuinness and his staff had moulded this Donegal team, Dinny said: “It was wonderful to watch.
“I don’t like speaking of other codes but it was like watching a top continental European soccer team, the way they defend, take possession and break out.
“They were the better team on the day and played some great football.”
From a legend like Allen, it doesn’t get any better.
The whole county is buzzing today as Donegal contemplates only our second ever All-Ireland final.
Thoughts are already turning to tickets, with fans hoping Mayo can see off Dublin – fearing the Dubs will mop up tickets for the final in four weeks time.
Let the scramble begin.
More from Donegal Daily
- DERRY CITY STAR SET TO JOIN UP WITH DONEGAL GAA SQUAD Derry City player Cillian Morrison is set to turn his back on professional football - and join Rory Gallagher's Donegal GAA panel.
Morrison has played League of Ireland football with UCD, Cork City and Derry City respectively.
However, it is believed he is strongly […]
- PREMIERSHIP STAR REVEALS HE IS A BIG FAN OF ONLINE DONEGAL SOCCER PAGE!
DDTV: Aston Villa star Ciaran Clark has revealed he is a big fan of one of Donegal's most popular social media pages.
Soccer Donegal is a Facebook page dedicated exclusively to bringing you all the soccer news as it happens in the county.
The page is hugely popular as it gives […]
- IRELAND’S NEW GOLF SENSATION HAS A DONEGAL CADDY!
GOLF: Ireland's newest golf sensation Paul Dunne has already made an impact on the European tour since turning pro - and he is being guided by a Donegal man!
Dunne hit the headline again last week, when he led the Alfred Dunhill Links after two rounds which also seen him hit a […]
- FORMER FINN HARPS PLAYER KEEPING EX REAL MADRID STAR OUT OF STARTING XI IN DUBAI
Former Finn Harps star James Doherty carved out a reputation as one of the finest right-backs in the LOI and he has enhanced his reputation since moving to Dubai.
Doherty is keeping former Real Madrid and Spanish star Michel Salgado out of the Dubai Irish XI.
Management at […]
- GAA NEWS: KILCAR U12 STAR CONOR O’DONNELL IS PRIMARY SCHOOL SKILLS CHAMPION
Well done to Donegal on their win over Fermanagh on Sunday, Patrick McBrearty, Eoin and Ryan McHugh all started while Mark McHugh came on as a sub, our seniors and reserves are away to St Michaels this Sunday in a “star” match. It was great to welcome Allen Gaels as our guests on […]
- DONEGAL V MAYO DRAW: REPLAY DATE SET BY GAA GAA bosses have already drawn up a contingency plan in case Donegal and Mayo draw in this year's All-Ireland Football Final - just like Kilkenny and Galway in the hurling.
In the event of a draw, any replay between Donegal and Mayo will take place on Saturday October 6th rather than […]
- BOYCE AND ENGLISH ON IRISH TEAM FOR EUROPEAN CHAMPS Athletics Ireland has named a team of 30 to compete at the European Track and Field Championships, with two Donegal athletes confirmed in the line-up.
Walker Brendan Boyce and 800m runner Mark English are in the team but Tori Pena has decided not to travel.
Reigning 50k World Walks […]
- GAA NEWS: CLOUGHANEELY DO THE DOUBLE OVER MAC CUMHAILLS ***Div 2 League***
Cloughaneely played MacCumhaills at home on Easter Monday with both teams recording wins.
Reserves: The reserves led significantly for the majority of the game, with the scoreline at 1-10 |0-2 with 10 mins of the game remaining. MacCumhaills made a dramatic […]
- DONEGAL VOCATIONAL SCHOOLS CAPTURE ULSTER TITLE Donegal Vocational Schools shrugged off a quiet start to claim the Ulster Voctional Schools Title at Errigal Ciaran in Tyrone today.
Despite Cavan VS going ahead by 1-3 to no score after just five minutes, Donegal made a spirited comeback to eventually canter home by 3-8 to […]
- SUPER HANLON HAT-TRICK EARNS KEADUE ROVERS CRUCIAL WIN Adrian Hanlon showed his talents aren't confined to the GAA pitch as he scored a stunning hat-trick for Keadue Rovers this afternoon against Bonagee United at the Dry Arch Park.
His hat-trick eased Keadue's relegation worries and it was a vital victory for the Central Park outfit […]
- SOCCER AND GAA JOIN FORCES TO GIVE SPORTSTAR MCHUGH A UNIQUE TESTIMONIAL GAME One of Donegal’s best-known sportstars has been rewarded for his contribution to football with a unique testimonial game.
by Mark Forker
Kevin McHugh has played more than 330 games for Finn Harps in an amazing career.
The Killea man will now be rewarded with a unique soccer/GAA […]
- GAA: JIMMY WANTS TO KEEP WINNING MATCHES – AND CORK ARE NEXT! DONEGAL manager Jim McGuinness apparently loves the internet video tribute to his team - the 'Jimmy's Winning Matches' song by Rory Gallagher from Kilcar has now had more views than people you can fit into Croke Park.
Now the team boss wants to keep the winning theme […]
- GAA SENSATION: HERO CASSIDY LEAVES COUNTY PANEL AFTER BOOK REVELATIONS DONEGAL GAA has been rocked tonight after All Star Kevin Cassidy left the Donegal senior football panel after revelations made by the player in a new GAA book.
The Gaoth Dobhair clubman left after a meeting with the team management including Jim McGuinness.
It is believed Donegal […]
- FEARS OVER MCBREARTY’S DONEGAL GAA FUTURE AS HE HAS AUSTRALIAN TRIALS Donegal GAA is in a tailspin with the news that the county’s hottest young player could be about to head to Australia to play football.
Patrick McBrearty, the 18 year old star nurtured by manager Jim McGuinness, is now a target for recruiters looking to add his name to a list of […]
- DDTV VIDEO: OH WHAT A ‘MESSI’ – DONEGAL BUSINESSMAN BLOWS €25,000 ON MAN UTD BET
THERE'S just no counting for blind loyalty, but it cost one Letterkenny business €25,000 at the weekend....in a bet on Manchester United!
And bookies across the county bagged a small fortune as Donegal's legions of Man Utd fans took advantage of 'generous' odds on their side's […]
- DDTV VIDEO PICTURE GALLERY: LETTERKENNY & DISTRICT BOYS & GIRLS LEAGUE
IT has been a great season for the underage soccer stars of the Letterkenny & District Schoolboys and Schoolgirls league.
The video contains pictures from all the teams.
So whether you support Glencar Barcelona, the Letterkenny Pumas, Lagan Harps or […]
- SPILLANE LAUNCHES YET ANOTHER BLISTERING ATTACK ON DONEGAL Former Kerry star and RTE pundit Pat Spillane has again used his weekly column in the Sunday World to ridicule the tactics employed by Donegal - describing them as 'Caveman tactics'.
Spillane also scoffed at the suggestion that Jim McGuinness, Kiernan McGeeney and Malachy O'Rourke […]
- COLEMAN SHOCKS FAN WITH SURPRISE SEASON TICKET PRESENTATION Donegal soccer star Seamus Coleman has become a huge favourite at Everton.
And he is now officially a firm favorite with one particular fan – Dean Steflox.
The Killybegs man was the latest Everton player to emerge Out of the Blue on Thursday – a campaign to surprise ordinary fans […]
- PRIDE AND SADNESS AS GAA STAR TAKES SAM TO THE GRAVE OF TOMÁS MAGUIRE
IT'S a picture which will evoke immense pride in those who knew him, and sadness too.
GAA star Paddy McGrath took the Sam Maguire to see another Maguire - the late Tomás Maguire.
The 24-year-old Ardara man died in an accident in Western Australia in June.
A superb footballer […]
- FORMER DONEGAL LADIES MANAGER HITS OUT AT ALL STAR AWARDS
FORMER Donegal senior ladies manager has slammed those who pick the All Stars - saying they must never see games.
Moville's Davy McLaughlin said he was "astonished" to see no players selected at all from two of the provincial champions - his Ulster-winning Donegal side and the […]