A spokesman for the Garda press office confirmed that three hubcaps were taken off the car but later found nearby and replaced.
The incident happened on August 18th.
The island does not have a full-time Garda presence but does receive patrols, especially over the summer months, by Gardai from the mainland.
More from Donegal Daily
- TWO GARDAI INJURED AFTER PATROL CAR IS RAMMED Two Gardai were treated for injuries after their patrol car was rammed during an incident in Inishowen last night. The incident happened in Carndonagh but only after it had been pursued through Moville and Redcastle. The car was eventually stopped in Carndonagh after it struck a […]
- MEN ARRESTED AFTER GARDAI PURSUE VAN NEAR BORDER Gardai are remaining tight-lipped about an incident in Bridgend today in which three men were arrested. It follows an incident in which a white van was pursued by a number of Garda cars towards the border. It is understood up to six Garda cars, including two unmarked patrol cars, […]
- MAN JAILED AFTER RAMMING GARDAI WHILE HIGH ON DRUGS A man who rammed a Garda patrol car when driving on a cocktail of alcohol and drugs has been sentenced to 23 months in prison. John Sweeney had the last six months of the sentence suspended at Letterkenny District Court after pleading guilty to up to 30 offences. The court […]
- MAN OFFERED FREE ‘HOLIDAY’ BY JUDGE IF HE RETURNS TO DONEGAL! An Englishman who failed to appear in court after damaging a Garda patrol will be given “a free holiday” if he returns to Donegal. Shane Summerhayes of 25 Gilbey’s Yard, Camden in London had appeared at Letterkenny District Court charged with causing €400 of damage to the car at […]
- FORMER GARDA SERGEANT GRIPPED STEERING WHEEL AFTER SUSPECTED DRUNK-DRIVING INCIDENT A former Garda Sergeant gripped his steering wheel and refused to get out of his car when stopped for suspected drunk-driving. A special sitting of Letterkenny District Court yesterday heard how it took three Gardai to get Jack Conaty out of his car. The court heard how Conaty, a […]
- SUSPECT QUIZZED AFTER 3 GARDAÍ HURT IN HIGH SPEED CAR-RAM ATTACK A SUSPECT is being quizzed after three Gardaí were injured after their patrol car was rammed during a dramatic high speed chase. The sergeant and two Garda colleagues were lucky to escape with minor injuries during the incident in Letterkenny. It's the latest incident of criminals […]
- DONEGAL GARDA HAS DRINK-DRIVING CRASH CASE ADJOURNED A Garda who is originally from Co Donegal has had a case of drink-driving and dangerous driving against him adjourned. Kevin McLaughlin, 29, was remanded on continuing bail to appear again at Carrickmacross District Court on June 8th next. McLaughlin, from Gartan, Churchill, is […]
- GARDA ARRESTED AFTER THREE CAR SMASH IS FROM CO DONEGAL The off-duty Garda arrested on suspicion of drink-driving after a three car smash in Co Monaghan is from Co Donegal. The 28 year old officer's civilian car rear-ended a Garda patrol which was stopped on the N2 near Moyles at 11.30pm on Saturday night. The Garda car had stopped to […]
- WOMAN HAD TO DRIVE GARDA TO HER BURGLED HOME BECAUSE NO PATROL CAR AVAILABLE A Donegal woman whose house was burgled had to drive a Garda to her home because he didn’t have access to a patrol car. The woman arrived to find her home in Manorcunningham wrecked after it had been entered by burglars. The woman contacted her husband who told her to contact the […]
- ISLANDERS WELCOME REPORT TO REVERSE BAN ON SALMON FISHING One of Donegal’s best-known islanders has called on the Government to follow the recommendations into a report which suggests a reversal of the ban on salmon fishing locally. A report yesterday suggested the easing of the 2007 ban on driftnet fishing in the area which includes […]
- KILLER LEAVES ISLAND AGAIN AS GARDA CARRY OUT ROUTINE PATROLS A killer has fled a Co Donegal island after the arrival of Gardai following tensions over his return. Stephen Boyle, 44, fled Arranmore Island in April last year after being released from prison just a few days earlier. He had been jailed for six years in 2012 after being on […]
- MORE THAN 1,000 JOIN GARDA CHECKPOINTS LOCATION SITE – IN JUST TWO DAYS A Facebook site warning about the location of Garda checkpoints across Donegal now has more than 1,000 friends – less than two days after it was set up. Garda Checkpoints Donegal has 1,193 likes since it was set up on Wednesday. The creators of the site have defended it saying it […]
- GARDA ARMED UNITS ‘NOT UNUSUAL’ SAY OFFICERS THE presence of an armed garda unit in Co Donegal over the last few days is 'not unusual' senior officers say. The Regional Response Unit has been on patrol in the east, north and south of the county over the past week. Patrols have taken place in Inishowen, Lifford, Raphoe, […]
- ISLAND ROAD CRASH VICTIM AIRLIFTED TO HOSPITAL A WOMAN injured in a traffic accident on Aranmore Island has been airlifted to hospital. The woman received a back injury in the incident. The Sligo Search and Rescue helicopter - Sligo 118 - was called in and the woman was taken to Letterkenny General Hospital where she has been […]
- ARRANMORE KILLING – ACCUSED TRIED TO COMMIT SUICIDE MONTH BEFORE ATTACK A man who has admitted killing another man in a bar on Arranmore Island tried to commit suicide shortly before the attack. Stephen Boyle, 41, crashed his car into a wall to try and do away with himself a month before the incident, a court was told. Boyle has admitted killing but […]
- STORM DESMOND RED ALERT: ALL FERRY SERVICES TO ARRANMORE ISLAND CANCELLED AS MONSTER STORM MOVES IN STORM DESMOND WEATHER ALERT: All Ferry services to Arranmore Island have been postponed - as the adverse weather continues to deteriorate. The TWO car passenger ferries were forced to suspend ALL services due to the severe gales lashing the Donegal coast. Management deemed the […]
- GARDA CHEATS DEATH AFTER CAR RAMMED BY RUNAWAY DRIVER ON BARNESMORE GAP A GARDA has miraculously survived having his patrol car rammed after an early morning pursuit. This is the scene of the vehicle at McGrory's Brae between Ballybofey and Donegal Town this morning. A black Fiat Punto which failed to stop for gardai in Donegal was seen heading at […]
- ARRANMORE ISLAND MANSLAUGHTER CASE TO BE DECIDED TODAY A man found guilty of the manslaughter of an Arranmore Islan man in 2009 will be sentenced today. 41 year-old Stephen Boyle was found not guilty of murder but guilty of the manslaughter of Paul Boyle in 2009 at the Central Criminal Court in February. He admitted killing the 19 year […]
- SPECIAL FEATURE: WHY ARRANMORE IS PIPING UP FOR ITSELF! Arranmore Island has suffered in recent years. The continuation of extreme fishing quotas and regulations implemented by the EU have crippled small Fishermen and the fishing industry as a whole in Ireland. by Mark Forker Fishing is a way of life on Arranmore and was the […]
- DONEGAL SALMON FISHERMEN MAY BE THROWN A LIFELINE A report on the survival of Donegal's offshore islands has called for the ban on salmon fishing to be reconsidered. It claims scientists agree there is now a surplus of wild salmon in the Atlantic and says that island fishermen should have access to 10% of that surplus. It is also […]