Baby Lucy Bell was born with a rare condition, Nager Syndrome, which affected the development of her face, limbs and airway.
Her doting dad Eoghan, 21, from Culdaff, said himself and his girlfriend had been prepared for Lucy’s short stay with them.
“We knew for five or six months into the pregnancy that there were problems.
“We knew she wasn’t going to survive for long – the doctors had prepared us,” said Eoghan.
Sadly Eoghan and his girlfriend split up shortly afterwards with both putting their ordeal as one of the reason’s for the separation.
Eoghan told The Star he was glad that he was able to have held Lucy – even if it was only for a short time.
Now Eoghan’s mum Eilish Bell, 46, is in the middle of helping to raise money for a children’s charity.
Eilish finishes her four marathon in as many days tomorrow for the Stillborn and Neonatal Death group.
More from Donegal Daily
- EMMET RUSHE: RETURNING TO EXERCISE AFTER GIVING BIRTH BY EMMET RUSHE: Continuing on with last week’s theme of pregnancy and having a new baby, this week we will look at returning to exercise after giving birth. Many “new mammies” want to know when it is safe to begin training again. Every woman is different, but here are some […]
- BABY DIED A VERY RARE SUDDEN DEATH A two-month-old baby who was in residential care in Donegal died a very rare sudden death. The baby boy was in care with his mother at Bentley House in Convoy when he died in March 2011. Letterkenny Coroner’s Court heard that he died due to inhalation of gastric […]
- DONEGAL XPOSE STAR TELLS OF HER PREGNANCY JOY AFTER BATTLE WITH DEPRESSION Xpose star Michelle Doherty, who hails from Carndonagh, has revealed she would've died if she found out she couldn't conceive. The stunning model 36, is expecting her first child next month, and admitted the pregnancy took her and her partner Mark O'Shea by surprise. However, […]
- DANIEL: SO SAD TO HEAR OF PASSING OF SIR TERRY WOGAN SINGER Daniel O'Donnell has paid tribute to veteran broadcaster Sir Terry Wogan. Sir Terry died this morning at the age of 77 following a short but brave battle against the ravages of cancer. Daniel said: "I was deeply saddened to hear this morning of the passing of Sir Terry […]
- PROUD DAD RORY KAVANAGH SHOWS OFF HIS NEW-BORN DAUGHTER ZOE DONEGAL footballer Rory Kavanagh is the proudest dad in the county - after his wife Kathryn gave birth to beautiful baby Zoe. The St Eunan's club man is seen here beaming with pride with the new arrival. And what a beautiful little girl she is….in the arms of proud Auntie […]
- BALLYSHANNON MAN WHO ‘BEAT BABY’ AND ATTACKED GIRLFRIEND IS RELEASED ON BAIL A man was accused of nearly beating his two-month-old baby "into a pulp" by a District Court Judge. The 26-year-old man also kicked his girlfriend six times during the incident at their home in Ballyshannon, Co Donegal. The father had been remanded in custody for six days from […]
- DONEGAL COUPLES AREN’T NAPPY AS BIRTHRATE DROPS Donegal people are having the least number of babies in the entire country! Figures just published by the Central Statistics Office has shown that the birthrate around the country is down considerably. And couples in Donegal are having the fewest numbers of new […]
- COLAISTE AILIGH STUDENTS HIT RIGHT NOTE WITH DONEGAL HOSPICE All 47 members of the Coláiste Ailigh’s choir and musical group took part in the Donegal Hospice’s Annual Carol service under the watchful eye of music teacher, Maria Uí Thaidhg. Before the service began, Coláiste Ailigh’s head Girl, Dearbhile Ní Chathail presented a cheque for […]
- CHILDREN TO LEAD MAGGIE TO HER FINAL RESTING PLACE A guard of honour from Glenswilly National School will leave Letterkenny woman Maggie Doherty (nee Dorrian) to her final resting place today. The loving mother of five, who was just 34, passed away at Letterkenny General Hospital on Saturday morning after a brave battle with […]
- DONEGAL GAA DOCTOR WARNS ABOUT SERIOUSNESS OF TREATING CONCUSSION Donegal GAA team doctor Kevin Moran has warned any deviation from the present protocols surrounding the treatment of concussion and suspected concussion could, in extreme circumstances, result in a fatality. Dr Moran was speaking in the context of an investigation into a proposal […]
- BABY LUCY GETS SUPPORT FROM AROUND THE GLOBE A West Donegal community has come together to support a little baby girl who has a rare skin disorder. Little Lucy Gallagher from Maghery, who is just six months old, suffers from Harlequinn Ichthyosis. The condition, which prevents Lucy’s skin from developing properly, affects […]
- GLASGOW POLICE CONTINUE SEARCH FOR JOHN McGARRIGLE AS DEATH TOLL RISES POLICE search teams have found another body in the Glasgow pub hit by a police helicopter on Friday night, taking the death toll to nine. Officers are continuing the search for John McGarrigle Snr, whose family are from Letterkenny. His son John Jnr has been holding a vigil at […]
- SHINING STARS MONTESSORI AND CRECHE CONTINUES TO SHINE The Shining Stars Montessori and Créche based in the Pinehill estate Mountain Top are leading the way in childcare with their bright and innovative new ideas that is reflected in their motto saying "Letting Children Shine even Brighter." Aoife and Sonia Gallagher who together have […]
- DONEGAL VOCATIONAL SCHOOLS CAPTURE ULSTER TITLE Donegal Vocational Schools shrugged off a quiet start to claim the Ulster Voctional Schools Title at Errigal Ciaran in Tyrone today. Despite Cavan VS going ahead by 1-3 to no score after just five minutes, Donegal made a spirited comeback to eventually canter home by 3-8 to […]
- OUR DONEGAL SPARTAN JUMPS THE ‘WALL’ TO FINISH MARATHON! Linda Brennan could barely run a tap a few months ago. But then she decided to give jogging a go and was chosen by Spar to become a Spartan to represent Donegal in last Monday's Dublin Marathon. Not only did she complete it but she is already looking forward to next year's event. […]
- DANIEL TO VOTE ‘YES’ AS HE DECLARES ‘EVERYONE SHOULD BE EQUAL’ Daniel O’Donnell has revealed he will be voting Yes in next week's marriage equality referendum. The Kincasslagh star said he believes that a Yes vote will not make life any different for those who advocate a No vote. He said that “those who know what they’re talking about” are […]
- AFTER SAD DEATH OF LITTLE KATIE, MRS BROWN’S BOYS STAR DEMANDS GOVERNMENT SUPPORT ACTOR Danny O'Carroll has called for Government help for families of children suffering from a rare illness following the funeral today of a little girl who he met just two weeks ago. Katie Rodgers, almost 3, was laid to rest after the Mass today on Arranmore. She died at Temple […]
- NEW DUNGLOE CHILDCARE FACILITY OPENS AFTER HEROIC NINE YEAR CAMPAIGN The people of West Donegal are celebrating after the opening of a state-of-the-art preschool and aftercare facility following a capaign which has lasted nine long years. Spraoi le Cheile an exciting purpose built preschool and afterschool facility that has opened its doors to some […]
- LETTERKENNY MUM REVEALS HOW DOCS FORCED HER TO TAKE BUS TO DUBLIN FOR DRUG TREATMENT A young Letterkenny mum has told how she was forced to travel to Dublin by doctors because she could not get help for her drug addiction in Donegal. Emma Smith was advised to move to rural Ireland to help her stay off her €75-a-day drug habit after becoming addicted to heroin. But […]
- MAN WHO SHOOK HIS BABY CAUSING HER BRAIN DAMAGE AVOIDS JAIL A Judge has said he could not send a man to prison after he admitted shaking his baby daughter causing her brain damage and cracking her ribs. Shane McCahill, 21, appeared at Letterkenny Circuit Court and admitted three counts of assault causing harm to the baby. McCahill, of […]