Baby Lucy Bell was born with a rare condition, Nager Syndrome, which affected the development of her face, limbs and airway.
Her doting dad Eoghan, 21, from Culdaff, said himself and his girlfriend had been prepared for Lucy’s short stay with them.
“We knew for five or six months into the pregnancy that there were problems.
“We knew she wasn’t going to survive for long – the doctors had prepared us,” said Eoghan.
Sadly Eoghan and his girlfriend split up shortly afterwards with both putting their ordeal as one of the reason’s for the separation.
Eoghan told The Star he was glad that he was able to have held Lucy – even if it was only for a short time.
Now Eoghan’s mum Eilish Bell, 46, is in the middle of helping to raise money for a children’s charity.
Eilish finishes her four marathon in as many days tomorrow for the Stillborn and Neonatal Death group.
More from Donegal Daily
- EMMET RUSHE: RETURNING TO EXERCISE AFTER GIVING BIRTH BY EMMET RUSHE: Continuing on with last week’s theme of pregnancy and having a new baby, this week we will look at returning to exercise after giving birth. Many “new mammies” want to know when it is safe to begin training again. Every woman is different, but here are some […]
- DONEGAL DEATH NOTICES FOR TUESDAY, SEPTEMBER 27, 2011 BABY LUCY CUNNINGHAM The death has taken place of Baby Lucy Cunningham, Gilbertstown, Bruckless Co Donegal, at Sligo General Hospital. Daughter of Jenny and Ciaran Cunningham. Reposing at her home Gilbertstown, Bruckless. Funeral service in Dunkineely Methodist Church on Wednesday at […]
- DUNGLOE’S WOMEN’S WEEKEND: 5K RUN AND WALK FOR BABY LUCY The ladies of Dungloe will gather in large numbers on Good Friday to participate in a 5k fun run and walk for Baby Lucy to help raise money and awareness on the rare condition that affects her. Little Lucy Gallagher from Maghery, who is just six months old, suffers from Harlequinn […]
- ATHLETICS: BUSY WEEKEND FOR ROSSES ATHLETES Another busy weekend for Gweedore & Rosses athletes, where our senior athletes put their hard Winters training to the test. We had a big turn out in the Ballyliffin Coastal Challenge where Noel Diver & Edward Harkin both secured a top 10 finish running 60.41 and 62.48 […]
- TV3’S MICHELLE SHOWS OFF GORGEOUS BABY BOY MAX MEET gorgeous Max - baby son of Donegal TV presenter Michelle Doherty. Michelle gave birth to Max last Thursday night in London. Overjoyed first time dad Mark posted the following pictures, of the couple’s cute baby.
- LORD OF THE RING 5 – LEONARD ‘SILVER BULLET’ WATSON HOPING TO GUN DOWN NIALL DOHERTY The eagerly anticipated Lord of the Ring 5 'The Rematch' is almost here and details of the match-ups have been announced. Below are the fights on show tomorrow night at The Mount Errigal Hotel and there is some cracking fights on offer. Fight No.1 Marissa “Misty The […]
- BABY DIED A VERY RARE SUDDEN DEATH A two-month-old baby who was in residential care in Donegal died a very rare sudden death. The baby boy was in care with his mother at Bentley House in Convoy when he died in March 2011. Letterkenny Coroner’s Court heard that he died due to inhalation of gastric […]
- MAMMY, I WANT TO WALK FUND RAISES A STAGGERING €17,500 FOLLOWING BELFAST MARATHON A staggering €17,500 has been raised by over ONE HUNDRED athletes who took part in the Belfast Marathon to raise funds for the Mammy, I Want to Walk fund. A massive fundraising campaign to help Paul Doherty 6, to walk again was launched by his devoted mother Ann-Marie last […]
- PETER BAFFLES THE DOCS TO NOTCH UP HIS 100TH MARATHON A Donegal man who was told by surgeons to stop running a number of years ago notched up his 100th marathon today! When Peter McGlynn underwent a quadruple heart by-pass after completing his 67th marathon, most thought his race days were behind him. A round of golf or a spot of […]
- DONEGAL XPOSE STAR TELLS OF HER PREGNANCY JOY AFTER BATTLE WITH DEPRESSION Xpose star Michelle Doherty, who hails from Carndonagh, has revealed she would've died if she found out she couldn't conceive. The stunning model 36, is expecting her first child next month, and admitted the pregnancy took her and her partner Mark O'Shea by surprise. However, […]
- DONEGAL MAN PUTS ‘UNSYMPATHETIC’ GIRLFRIEND ON DONEDEAL A Donegal man has put his girlfriend on DoneDeal - because she has no sympathy for him being a little under the weather. Patrick Doherty is asking for a cool €1 million for his better half. Below is the hilarious advert which Patrick has put on the advert site. Girlfriend […]
- DANIEL: SO SAD TO HEAR OF PASSING OF SIR TERRY WOGAN SINGER Daniel O'Donnell has paid tribute to veteran broadcaster Sir Terry Wogan. Sir Terry died this morning at the age of 77 following a short but brave battle against the ravages of cancer. Daniel said: "I was deeply saddened to hear this morning of the passing of Sir Terry […]
- ANOTHER DONEGAL STAR MEETS HIS MATCH OFF THE FIELD! There must be something in Jim McGuinness’ tam tlaks that makes his players want to ‘bond’. Just a couple of weeks after midfielder Rory Kavanagh tied the knot, another Donegal star has walked down the aisle. Yesterday it was the turn of Ryan Bradley to say ‘I do’ when he married […]
- PROUD DAD RORY KAVANAGH SHOWS OFF HIS NEW-BORN DAUGHTER ZOE DONEGAL footballer Rory Kavanagh is the proudest dad in the county - after his wife Kathryn gave birth to beautiful baby Zoe. The St Eunan's club man is seen here beaming with pride with the new arrival. And what a beautiful little girl she is….in the arms of proud Auntie […]
- BALLYSHANNON MAN WHO ‘BEAT BABY’ AND ATTACKED GIRLFRIEND IS RELEASED ON BAIL A man was accused of nearly beating his two-month-old baby "into a pulp" by a District Court Judge. The 26-year-old man also kicked his girlfriend six times during the incident at their home in Ballyshannon, Co Donegal. The father had been remanded in custody for six days from […]
- IN MEMORY OF MARTINA: PICTURES FROM THE ARDARA CHARITY 10K Live for today. Love for today. Laugh louder today than yesterday. Those are the words of beautiful Tina Maguire before she passed away in January. Here are some pictures from her day in Ardara (thanks John Burke) on Saturday as more than a thousand people went out to raise money […]
- DONEGAL TO OPEN BOOK OF CONDOLENCES FOR FIRE VICTIMS A book of condolences will open in Donegal tomorrow in memory of the tragic death of ten people in a fire in Dublin on Saturday. The Donegal Travellers Project have organised the book. The victims of the fire at Carrickines include a mother, father, and five children […]
- COLAISTE AILIGH STUDENTS HIT RIGHT NOTE WITH DONEGAL HOSPICE All 47 members of the Coláiste Ailigh’s choir and musical group took part in the Donegal Hospice’s Annual Carol service under the watchful eye of music teacher, Maria Uí Thaidhg. Before the service began, Coláiste Ailigh’s head Girl, Dearbhile Ní Chathail presented a cheque for […]
- DONEGAL FRIENDS TO TAKE ON EPIC RUN FOR ABANDONED BABIES Two Donegal friends are to take on an epic 100km run from Sligo to Letterkenny this weekend in aid of charity. Deirdre Boyle from Creeslough and Pauric O’Donnell from Letterkenny hope to complete the run in two days this Friday and Saturday. The pair are traveling to Uganda on July […]
- BABY STEPS WITH ÁINE – BABY SHOWER INSPIRATION Hi everyone. This week I’m hoping to give you some inspiration for organising the perfect baby shower to treat those mums-to-be. For those of you that are new to my column, I’m Áine. I’m 26, Donegal born and bred and a first time mum to my 8 month old daughter Ava. This […]