There was a touch of controversy at this evening’s post match press conference when Jim McGuinness said he would not answer questions until a reporter left the room.
The Donegal manager arrived but left a minute later after consulting with GAA communications staff.
The Croke Park officials then approached Gaelic Life reporter Declan Bogue who was told that McGuinness would not conduct the press conference if he remained in the room.
Bogue, who penned the controversial book ‘This Is Our Year’ which featured interviews with Kevin Cassidy, then left the room.
McGuinness soon returned and agreed to continue with the press conference.
McGuinness said he had kept his counsel on his feelings about the book all year and had waited until now to make them known.
“There was a book written,” he said. “There were a lot of untruths in the book. There was a lot of things said about me. I’ve never broken court on it since the whole thing happened. I’ve held my dignity. I’ve let myself be castigated. And I done that because I gave somebody an agreement that I wouldn’t break my court on it. There were a lot of things said in the book that were incorrect and untrue, some of it possibly lies about me personally and about some of my players.
“It was all-out attack for a couple of months on my character. I know what I’ve done, I know what I’ve coached, I know what I am as a person. And that’s the situation. So I’m not going to let somebody sit in a room and fill their pages tomorrow on the back of what we done today when they in their wisdom degraded me as a person and some of my players.”
More from Donegal Daily
- GAA: MALIN DEFEAT CARNDONAGH IN TOM FARREN MEMORIAL CUP
TOM FARREN MEMORIAL CUP Malin beat Carndonagh in the Tom Farren Memorial Cup on Saturday on a scoreline of Malin 2-16 Carndonagh 2-09. The Malin Team on the day was: Seamus […]
- CASSIDY SPEAKS IN GAELIC LIFE NEWSPAPER INTERVIEW – NO REGRETS, HE SAYS Donegal star Kevin Cassidy told a newspaper today he has no regrets about contributing to the controversial book which led to his sacking from the county team.
In a statement released exclusively to Gaelic Life, Cassidy said that he felt he had not overstepped the mark in revealing […]
- CASSIDY – “I’VE RESPECT FOR EVERY MANAGER I’VE PLAYED UNDER EXCEPT ONE Former Donegal star Kevin Cassidy has revealed he respects every manager he has every played under during his career except one.
In his column with Gaelic Life, Cassidy revealed how he had the utmost respect for every manager he had played under throughout his career except for […]
- McGUINNESS TO TELL ALL ABOUT LIFE INSIDE DONEGAL GAA IN NEW BOOK Former Donegal All-Ireland winning manager Jim McGuinness is to release one of the most eagerly-awaited sports books of 2015.
The book entitled 'Until Victory Always' will be published on Amazon.co.uk on October 23 this year, just over a year since making the decision to step down […]
- CASSIDY – “I REALLY MISSED PLAYING FOR DONEGAL LAST WEEKEND”
Former Donegal star Kevin Cassidy has revealed that last weekend was the first time since he was axed from the Donegal panel that he really missed playing for his county.
Cassidy had a very public fall-out with Jim McGuinness in 2011 due to his contributions to the book 'This Is […]
- CASSIDY – “MCGUINNESS DESERVES GREAT CREDIT”
Former County player Kevin Cassidy whose inter-county career ended prematurely after falling out with Jim McGuinness, has heaped praise on his former manager.
Cassidy was full of praise for Donegal and especially McGuinness for executing a game plan which derailed the Dublin […]
- CONTROVERSIAL PUNDIT: DONEGAL’S CRAFT AND GRAFT A JOY TO WATCH HIS book last year led to Kevin Cassidy's controversial exit from the Donegal senior football squad.
But Declan Bogue - journalist and author of 'This Is Our Year' - has made another altogether different contribution to the great Donegal GAA debate.
Writing in the Belfast Telegraph […]
- GAA SENSATION: HERO CASSIDY LEAVES COUNTY PANEL AFTER BOOK REVELATIONS DONEGAL GAA has been rocked tonight after All Star Kevin Cassidy left the Donegal senior football panel after revelations made by the player in a new GAA book.
The Gaoth Dobhair clubman left after a meeting with the team management including Jim McGuinness.
It is believed Donegal […]
- COUNTY BOARD BACK McGUINNESS OVER CASSIDY SACKING GAA bosses have backed Jim McGuinness in his sacking of defender Kevin Cassidy, donegaldaily.com can reveal.
We understand that the Board were informed of the decision and took the view that the Donegal manager was right to remove the Gaoth Dobhair man from the county panel.
- MCGUINNESS INVOLVED IN UNCOMFORTABLE TV INTERVIEW ON SECOND CAPTAIN’S LIVE
Former Donegal manager Jim McGuinness was involved in an uncomfortable interview last night on popular RTE programme Second Captain's Live.
McGuinness seemed hostile and tense towards the show's interviewers - as they focused on his high-profile fall-outs with Rory Gallagher and […]
- CASSIDY – FAMILY IS MORE IMPORTANT TO ME NOW THAN FOOTBALL GAA star Kevin Cassidy says he does not regret not being in Jim McGuinness' side for Sunday's All-Ireland semi-final saying there are more important things in life such as family.
Cassidy was one of a several inter-county players who contributed to Declan Bogue’s book This is our […]
- JOURNALIST CLAIMS MCGUINNESS ASKED CASSIDY TO RETURN TO DONEGAL TEAM IN 2012
Sports journalist Declan Bogue has claimed in his weekly column with the Belfast Telegraph that Jim McGuinness asked Kevin Cassidy to return to the Donegal squad in 2012.
Cassidy was axed from the Donegal squad in 2011, for his contributions to a GAA book written by Bogue entitled […]
- McGUINNESS/CASSIDY ROW: COMMENTATOR CALLS FOR MANAGER’S POWERS TO BE CURBED ONE of the GAA's leading commentators has questioned the decision of Donegal manager Jim McGuinness to expel Kevin Cassidy from the county panel.
Eugene McGee was writing extensively on the subject in today's Irish Independent newspaper - and said he would have handled it […]
- CAMPAIGN STARTED TO ‘BRING BACK KEVIN CASSIDY’ TO COUNTY TEAM A FACEBOOK campaign to have All Star Kevin Cassidy re-instated to the county team has started on Facebook.
So far around 100 people have Liked the page.
A number of fans have left comments on the Bring Back Kevin Cassidy Facebook page.
Sources close to Jim McGuinness and the […]
- KEVIN CASSIDY APPOINTED AS THE NEW GAOTH DOBHAIR MANAGER Former Donegal All-Star Kevin Cassidy has been appointed the new manager of the Gaoth Dobhair senior team following the club's AGM on Saturday evening.
Cassidy enjoyed a fantastic Donegal career but it ended on a sour note for the former county wing-back when contributions he made […]
- GAA LEGEND O MUIRCHEARTAIGH SAYS GREAT INJUSTICE HAS BEEN DONE TO CASSIDY GAA legend Micheál Ó Muircheartaigh has said a great injustice has been done to axed Donegal star Kevin Cassidy.
And the RTE veteran has called on the Donegal County Board to intervene in the current dispute with manager Jim McGuinness.
Commentator Ó Muircheartaigh said that the […]
- CASSIDY BROKE DONEGAL TRUST SAYS MURPHY DONEGAL captain Michael Murphy claims his former team-mate Kevin Cassidy was wrong to contribute a book documenting his season with the county.
The Glenswilly man yesterday backed Jim McGuinness’ decision to axe the All Star defender from the panel after his comments about the 2011 […]
- ‘I DON’T WANT TO BE A GALLANT LOSER AGAINST DUBLIN’ – GAA BOSS McGUINNESS Donegal manager Jim McGuinness has said he will not accept coming out second best against Dublin in the All-Ireland semi-final.
The Glenties man set out his stall at a press conference in Letterkenny today.
by Rachel McLaughlin
With his captain Michael Murphy by his side, […]
- CHLOICH CHEANN FHAOLA WIN RESERVE FINAL The victorious Chloich Cheann Fhaola team who won the Reserve Final today beating Four Masters 1-10 to 1-05.
Captain Kevin Scanlon lifted the Seamus Gallagher Cup in front of adoring fans in a superg game.
- CASSIDY BLASTS MCGUINNESS AS ‘HYPOCRITE’ OVER TEAM HOLIDAY STANCE GAA: Kevin Cassidy has re-opened old wounds with former Donegal manager Jim McGuinness by blasting him as a 'hypocrite' over his stance on the team holiday row with the Donegal County Board.
Cassidy claims McGuinness blocked him and his wife on going on the end of season trip in […]