Donegal GAA legend Martin McHugh has revealed the heartache behind ‘that’ emotional moment with son Mark after the final whistle of Sunday’s All-Ireland final.
Pictures of the Kilcar father and son hugging and crying with eachother have gone around the globe.
Now Martin has revealed the reasons behind the magical moment.
He says the loss of his father Jim and his mother Kathleen’s Alzheimer’s condition all got too much for him.
“On a personal level, we’ve all taken hard blows.
“My father Jim died last October, and he was thrilled to see Mark win an Ulster title last year. He would have been overjoyed to watch him lift Sam Maguire.
“My mother Kathleen has had Alzheimer’s for around 12 years now,” he said.
The 1992 All-Ireland winner revealed how he and Mark headed to father Jim’s grave before his son travelled to Dublin for the clash with Mayo at Croke Park.
“We said a few prayers and we shed a few tears. Then we called to see my mum.
“All of that came together when I spotted Mark after the game. All of those emotions came to the boil.
“I have had people telling me they were moved by it, and that it was a great television moment.
“But the reality is that it was a private moment played out in public.
“For a moment, we forgot that the television cameras and the photographers were there. It was about family and blood, something that the GAA is all about,” he said.
More from Donegal Daily
- DELIGHT FOR MCHUGH FAMILY AS SLIGO IT PROGRESS IN SIGERSON CUP COMPETITION
There was delight for Martin McHugh and his sons Ryan and Mark after their Sligo IT side defeated Queen's University Belfast in a thrilling contest played in atrocious weather conditions.
Heavy snow and sub-zero temperatures in Belfast last night almost resulted in this crucial […]
- McGUINNESS IS DONEGAL’S BEST-EVER MANAGER – McHUGH Former Donegal star and pundit Martin McHugh has hailed Jim McGuinness as Donegal’s best-ever manager.
The Kilcar man, who has gone for Dublin to beat Donegal before the game, said the Glenties man got everything right against the Dubs at Croke Park yesterday.
“You have to gibe […]
- DONEGAL FANS MUST STOP HYPING UP TEAM SAYS MCHUGH AS HE TIPS KERRY TO WIN Donegal GAA legend Martin McHugh has tipped Kerry to beat Donegal in this Sunday’s crunch quarter final match at Croke Park.
And the Kilcar pundit says Donegal fans have a lot to answer for by building up their team’s chances.
Writing in today’s Irish Daily Star newspaper, McHugh […]
- ALL-STAR McHUGH PACKS HIS BAGS FOR THE US Any hope Donegal were harboring of Mark McHugh lining out in this year’s All Ireland championship have disappeared as he boards a flight for America this morning.
The Kilcar man will spend the summer in New York playing his football there.
The 2012 All-Star stunned manager Jim […]
- MCGEE ABSOLUTELY GUTTED AT ALL-IRELAND FINAL LOSS Donegal's Neil McGee just can't pin-point where Donegal went wrong in Sunday's All-Ireland final defeat to Kerry.
The Ulster champions were defeated by Kerry after a tense and rigid All-Ireland final.
Donegal didn't get anywhere close to the levels of performance they displayed […]
- BONNER AND MCHUGH RULE THEMSELVES OUT OF CONTENTION FOR DONEGAL JOB
Declan Bonner and Martin McHugh have both ruled themselves out of contention for the vacant Donegal job following the departure of Jim McGuinness last week.
Bonner was regarded as strong favourite for the post, after leading the Donegal minors to the Ulster title after victory […]
- SURPRISE AS MCHUGH RETURNS EARLY FROM NEW YORK
Mark McHugh will come back from New York earlier than expected after it was disclosed that the Kilcar man will return to Ireland next week.
His early return has prompted speculation that he may re-join the Donegal senior panel ahead of their All-Ireland semi-final clash with […]
- MEATH MANAGER CALLS MARTIN McHUGH A ‘ONE-TRICK ANALYST’
FORMER Donegal footballer turned pundit Martin McHugh has felt the wrath of Meath Manager Mick O'Dowd.
McHugh offered a rather bizarre explanation for his belief that Meath football was in big trouble, telling RTÉ Radio that the Royals problems all stem from the fact that the […]
- MASSIVE BOOST FOR DONEGAL AS MARK MCHUGH RETURNS TO TRAINING
Donegal star Mark McHugh has returned to training with Donegal after he was left out of the squad for their Dr McKenna Cup campaign in January.
Rory Gallagher revealed that McHugh was omitted from the squad and would be training on his own.
However, he confirmed that McHugh […]
- MARK McHUGH SAYS BROTHER RYAN WAS MAN OF THE MATCH – AND RTE AGREES!
DONEGAL'S Ryan McHugh has been named the RTE Sunday Game/Supervalu Man of the Match.
And the first to agree was his big brother Mark - in a Tweet from New York - which read: "Absolutely buzzin..! Might be a bit biased but for me @McHughRyan is my man of the match ..well done lads […]
- SHOCK AS MARK McHUGH AND THREE OTHERS QUIT DONEGAL SQUAD Donegal All-Star forward Mark McHugh is one of four players who are understood to have sensationally left the county team.
McHugh's shock departure comes less than a month before the county's Ulster Championship clash with Derry.
No reason has been given for the departure of […]
- McGUINNESS: ‘IT’S A DREAM TO PLAY KERRY IN THE ALL-IRELAND FINAL’ DONEGAL football boss Jim McGuinness says it's a “dream” for his side to take on Kerry in the All-Ireland Final.
His side's incredible six point win over reigning champions Dublin at Croke Park sent shockwaves through football - and the Dublin media who had all but written off Michael […]
- McHUGH SHOULD STAY OUT OF KILLARNEY AFTER ‘TWO-TRICK PONY’ REMARK – FORMER KERRY BOSS Former Kerry manager Jack O’Connor reckons Martin McHugh should steer clear of Killarney after he called Colm Cooper a "two-trick pony".
McHugh made the comment RTE's The Sunday Game when comparing the attacking qualities of Cooper to Kerry forward James O’Donoghue who starred in […]
- CHAMBER ASKS GAA COUNTY BOARD TO HOST HOMECOMING IN LETTERKENNY EXCLUSIVE: Letterkenny Chamber has contacted the County Board to officially request the Donegal GAA team return to their town after the All-Ireland Final at Croke Park.
The team has always traditionally returned to The Diamond in Donegal Town after any major victory including this […]
- CASSIDY – “I REALLY MISSED PLAYING FOR DONEGAL LAST WEEKEND”
Former Donegal star Kevin Cassidy has revealed that last weekend was the first time since he was axed from the Donegal panel that he really missed playing for his county.
Cassidy had a very public fall-out with Jim McGuinness in 2011 due to his contributions to the book 'This Is […]
- DONEGAL SUPPORTERS CLUB TO HOST DISCUSSION FORUM AHEAD OF BIG CLASH WITH TYRONE Donegal GAA Supporters Club
With the much anticipated championship encounter between Donegal and Tyrone fast approaching, the Donegal GAA Supporters Club are delighted to announce that they will be holding a Discussion Forum in An Grianan Theatre, Letterkenny on Wednesday 22nd May at […]
- AT LAST! TERMON LADIES GET ALL-IRELAND FINAL VENUE IN GALWAY
TERMON'S Ladies footballers have finally been told where their long-awaited All-Ireland Club Final will take place.
Their bid for All-Ireland glory will take place in Tuam Stadium with a 2pm throw-in this Sunday.
The Donegal and Ulster champions will face Mourneabbey of Cork in […]
- DONEGAL U14 GIRLS ON THE VERGE OF HISTORY AS THEY FACE TIPPERARY IN ALL-IRELAND FINAL WHILE Rory Gallagher’s Donegal senior men are through to another Ulster Final, the county’s U14 girls are already through to their first All-Ireland Final this Saturday.
The girls have already won the Ulster Championship after a comeback win over Antrim in May, having disposed of […]
- DDTV – COUNTDOWN TO CROKER – IT’S THE BATTLE FOR SHAM!
They brought us the hilarious stand-off between Donegal and Dublin fans before the All-Ireland semi-final which was watched by more than 100,000 people.
And now madcap video bloggers Giddyupskits have done it again pitting Donegal fans against their Kerry rivals.
The team […]
- PLACES STILL AVAILABLE AT THE MICHAELA SUMMER CAMP IN STRANORLAR The Michaela Foundation Girls' Summer Camp is calling on Donegal girls aged between 11-13 to participate in their unique camp from July the 15th- 19th at St Mary's National School in Stranorlar. Their are still a number of places left so get booked up now!!
Donegal star Mark McHugh […]