IT’S not everyone’s teacher who wins the Sam Maguire – and then brings it to the school.
But that’s what Mr Rory Kavanagh did today at the school where he teaches in Letterkenny.
Pupils at Scoil Cholmcille – the boys school – formed a guard of honour for Rory and his teammates Colm McFadden, Frank McGlynn and Kevin Rafferty.
Both Kevin and Rory are also past pupils of the school.
What a magical morning for the children.
More from Donegal Daily
- MOTORING: ON THE ROAD AGAIN with BRIAN McDAID Rallying is in Brian McDaid's blood. And in his column this week, he catches up with a certified Donegal Rally legend, James Cullen and finds he's still earning a living behind the wheel! Cullen for Donegal? It's 25 years ago this year since Donegal’s greatest rally […]
- IT’S FLIPPIN’ PANCAKE TIME – WITH CHEF MARTIN ANDERSON! I know I'm ahead of myself but next Tuesday is a very special day as you all know ......it's pancake Tuesday . Love them or hate them it's a national tradition to serve pancakes before lent starts. Folk would sacrifice eggs and sugar over the Lenten period and this was their […]
- KEEPING YOUR HAIR COLOUR FOR LONGER – WITH PATRICK GILDEA’S CENTRE OF EXCELLENCE The good news is that with proper care and a little creativity, you can keep your colour-treated hair looking shiny and vibrant. Patrick asked Elaine one of our Master Colour Technicians to share her experience with us on keeping coloured hair fresh and vibrant. This is what she […]
- SAM’S WORLD TOUR OF DONEGAL – STRAMORE NS, GLENDOWAN PICTURE SPECIAL He may be one of the stars of the Donegal GAA All-Ireland winning team. But to the pupils of Stramore National School in Glendowan, Frank McGlynn is much more than that. He is one of their favourite teachers and has been a huge influence on the children at the school. Here […]
- ENTERTAINMENT: FREE ENTRY TO SISTER SARA’S SUPER-PUB DISCO THIS EASTER SUNDAY ENTERTAINMENT: Sister Sara’s is the No.1 venue in Letterkenny for Stag/Hen & birthday Party’s alike. No matter big or small let us look after your party night! If your looking for a great night out then this is the place for you. We have a great out-door beer garden, the […]
- A SPANISH DYNASTY VISITS HOUSE WINE BAR AND TAP ROOM The Spanish Giant “TORRES” hosted a Spanish and Portugal Fine Wine Tasting for some of the loyal customers at Letterkenny’s little wine bar HOUSE. On Tuesday 2nd February local Letterkenny people gathered to discover what is happening in Penedes today with a serious of vertical […]
- STARS TO BRING SAM MAGUIRE TO WORLD RECORD ATTEMPT AT O’DONNELL PARK Rory Kavanagh, Kevin Rafferty and Frank McGlynn will be at O'Donnell Park this Saturday for a GAA World Record Attempt. The All-Ireland heroes will be bringing along the Sam Maguire for the occasion. Children and adults from throughout the county are invited to the event which is an […]
- LOVE IS IN THE HAIR THIS VALENTINE’S – BY PATRICK GILDEA’S SCHOOL OF EXCELLENCE Love is in the hair, everywhere I look around…… it’s that time of year again Valentine’s Day where couples all over the world express their love for each other with beautiful cards and gifts. It’s all the usual flowers, chocolates and perfume galore but if you’re really lucky […]
- SAM’S WORLD TOUR OF DONEGAL – NAOMH MHUIRE PICTURE SPECIAL IT was late when the Donegal 2012 heroes arrived at the Banks; but no-one cared. All evening message on Twitter, Facebook and Donegal Daily kept Naomh Mhuire parish members up to date on Sam's arrival. Some parents put their children to bed early - so they could get up again to […]
- PRIDE AND SADNESS AS GAA STAR TAKES SAM TO THE GRAVE OF TOMÁS MAGUIRE IT'S a picture which will evoke immense pride in those who knew him, and sadness too. GAA star Paddy McGrath took the Sam Maguire to see another Maguire - the late Tomás Maguire. The 24-year-old Ardara man died in an accident in Western Australia in June. A superb footballer […]
- WHAT A LINE-UP! ALL STAR CELEBRATIONS FOR DONEGAL AS LACEY NAMED PLAYER OF THE YEAR THE Donegal All Stars got their hands on their awards tonight at a glittering ceremony in Dublin. And Donegal defender Karl Lacey was named Footballer of the Year. The centre half-back a 4-time All Star - was superb as Donegal claimed the All-Ireland title and he pipped […]
- NORTH WEST 10K PICTURE SPECIAL – EVEN SAM MAGUIRE IS THERE! THOUSANDS of runners and walkers have taken part in today's North West 10k in Letterkenny - and even Sam Maguire put in an appearance. The prestigious event, sponsored this year by Brian McCormick Sports and Donegal Daily, had more than 3,000 entrants. Many did it for 'times' - […]
- WIN A WEEKEND IN DUBLIN WITH THE DONEGAL TEAM AND €400 SPENDING MONEY DONEGAL DAILY has teamed up with Jim McGuinness and his All-Ireland winning Donegal team to give you a chance to spend a fantastic weekend in Dublin - with Jim and the team. Next Friday night there is a fundraiser for the Donegal team training fund at the Harcourt Hotel in […]
- SAM’S WORLD TOUR ARRIVES IN CHICAGO THE WORLD tour of Sam has arrived in Chicago. And hundreds of ex-pat Donegal folk were out in force to see Sam Maguire and the Donegal players during a whirlwind tour of the USA. Said Kevin Hegarty - formerly of the parish of Kilcar: "It was a great night. So proud of the boys and […]
- ALL-IRELAND WEEKEND – YOUR PICTURES SUPPORTING DONEGAL THE countdown is nearly over - and you, our wonderful readers, have been getting behind Donegal to give the boys one last push towards All-Ireland glory. Win or lose, Jim McGuinness, Rory Gallagher and their team have given us all an awesome summer. We are proud of you lads. […]
- COLM McFADDEN MAN CALLS INTO SEE RORY ON HIS ISLAND! WE'VE got McFadden Man.... And this weekend singer, songwriter, publican, entertainer and of course, the GAA's greatest all-time song machine man of all time Rory Gallagher had a pint or two with the St Michael's scorer. Colm McFadden popped into Rory's bar in Lanzarote (26C […]
- PICTURE SPECIAL 1: PRIMARY SCHOOLS ATHLETICS AT FINN VALLEY AC THE Primary Schools athletics finals were again a success at Finn Valley AC grounds today. More than 1,000 pupils from all over the county took part in the superbly organised event. We will have all the results on a separate story later. Here's our first picture gallery from the […]
- MORE THAN 2,000 TURN UP TO SMASH WORLD RECORD AT GAA TRAINING SESSION More than 2,000 children and adults have taken part in a world record attempt for the most people at a training session in Letterkenny today. The county is still on a high after winning the All-Ireland last weekend and today’s event at St.Eunan’s Club in Letterkenny was a huge […]
- PICTURE SPECIAL: ST EUNAN’S GAA CLUB MINOR PRESENTATION NIGHT JUDGING by the number of trophies picked up by the girls and boys on the youth teams at St Eunan's GAA club, it was a very successful year. And the club's All-Ireland winning heroes Kevin Rafferty and Rory Kavanagh were on hand with the Sam Maguire at the Minor Board dinner at the […]
- JIM’S PROMISE TO DONEGAL CHILDREN: ‘WE’LL TAKE SAM INTO EVERY SCHOOL IN THE COUNTY’ DONEGAL manager Jim McGuinness promised fans tonight that every child in the county will get a chance to see the Sam Maguire over the next few weeks. And the whole nation will see it on TV tomorrow night as Jim and the team are the special guests of the Late Late Show. The […]