IT’S not everyone’s teacher who wins the Sam Maguire – and then brings it to the school.
But that’s what Mr Rory Kavanagh did today at the school where he teaches in Letterkenny.
Pupils at Scoil Cholmcille – the boys school – formed a guard of honour for Rory and his teammates Colm McFadden, Frank McGlynn and Kevin Rafferty.
Both Kevin and Rory are also past pupils of the school.
What a magical morning for the children.
More from Donegal Daily
- IT’S FLIPPIN’ PANCAKE TIME – WITH CHEF MARTIN ANDERSON! I know I'm ahead of myself but next Tuesday is a very special day as you all know ......it's pancake Tuesday . Love them or hate them it's a national tradition to serve pancakes before lent starts. Folk would sacrifice eggs and sugar over the Lenten period and this was their […]
- SAM’S WORLD TOUR OF DONEGAL – STRAMORE NS, GLENDOWAN PICTURE SPECIAL He may be one of the stars of the Donegal GAA All-Ireland winning team. But to the pupils of Stramore National School in Glendowan, Frank McGlynn is much more than that. He is one of their favourite teachers and has been a huge influence on the children at the school. Here […]
- NORTH WEST 10K PICTURE SPECIAL – EVEN SAM MAGUIRE IS THERE! THOUSANDS of runners and walkers have taken part in today's North West 10k in Letterkenny - and even Sam Maguire put in an appearance. The prestigious event, sponsored this year by Brian McCormick Sports and Donegal Daily, had more than 3,000 entrants. Many did it for 'times' - […]
- JIM’S PROMISE TO DONEGAL CHILDREN: ‘WE’LL TAKE SAM INTO EVERY SCHOOL IN THE COUNTY’ DONEGAL manager Jim McGuinness promised fans tonight that every child in the county will get a chance to see the Sam Maguire over the next few weeks. And the whole nation will see it on TV tomorrow night as Jim and the team are the special guests of the Late Late Show. The […]
- DONEGAL LEGEND MCHUGH REVEALS HEARTACHE BEHIND EMOTIONAL SCENES WITH SON MARK Donegal GAA legend Martin McHugh has revealed the heartache behind ‘that’ emotional moment with son Mark after the final whistle of Sunday’s All-Ireland final. Pictures of the Kilcar father and son hugging and crying with eachother have gone around the globe. Now Martin has […]
- GAA STAR CASSIDY PLEADS GUILTY TO AFFRAY CHARGE Donegal star Kevin Cassidy has appeared in court charged with causing an affray. The Gaoth Dobhair player pleaded guilty to threatening unlawful violence when he appeared at Letterkenny Circuit Court today. Cassidy, 30, of Cotteen, Derrybeg appeared wearing suit trousers and a dark […]
- PICTURE GALLERY: VICTORY FOR GAELSCOIL ADHAMHNÁIN IN COUNTY FINAL THE boys of Gaelscoil Adhamhnáin in Letterkenny are celebrating today after being crowned Cumann na mBunscol county champions. A stunning display in Convoy yesterday saw the boys lift the championship, beating Scoil Mhuire Stranorlar by six points. In the girls final Lurgybrack […]
- YOUR COMPLETE ST PATRICK’S PARADE GUIDE – SEND US YOUR BEST PIX! IT'S St Patrick's weekend and here's your BEST guide to what's on across the county. Enjoy a great weekend - and make sure you send your best pix to email@example.com. Here's your town guide. Ardara: The town is having its brilliant Walking Weekend with several events […]
- JIVE, QUICKSTEP OR WALTZ TOWARDS A NEW EXPERIENCE AT VOODOO VINTAGE Pubs and traditional music in Ireland is like Tarzan and Jane or cheese and onion, on their own they’re grand, but together they combine to create a magical coupling. Ulster is the ‘hottest’ country music province in Ireland with a much younger crowd and a faster jive in variance […]
- THE DAZZLING DOZEN! 12 DONEGAL PLAYERS ON ALL-STAR NOMINATION LIST DONEGAL'S All-Ireland winning team has received the most nominations for this year's All Stars - with an incredible TWELVE nominations. A total of twelve counties are represented amongst the 45 nominees. But Donegal top the list with 12, followed by Mayo who have ten. The 12 […]
- EMMET RUSHE: RETURNING TO EXERCISE AFTER GIVING BIRTH BY EMMET RUSHE: Continuing on with last week’s theme of pregnancy and having a new baby, this week we will look at returning to exercise after giving birth. Many “new mammies” want to know when it is safe to begin training again. Every woman is different, but here are some […]
- GARDENING WITH GARETH – GROWING GARLIC IS AS EASY AS! What a smashing week of weather! Indeed the last few weeks of weather has been smashing, with many spring flowering plants even coming back into flower. A Bramley apple in my back garden is throwing out the odd flower and I’m sure with this good weather Seamus will be busy with […]
- DONEGAL’S HARD GRAFT PAYS OFF AGAINST TYRONE Tyrone 0-6 Donegal 1-10 Donegal hit a rich vein of form to beat Tyrone comfortably at Healy Park and send the Red Hand spiralling into the relegation zone. Mickey Harte’s men had promised to put on their scoring boots after recent laboured displays. But it was Jim McGuinness’ […]
- KILMACRENNAN SIXTH CLASS STUDENTS TAKE AN ‘EGG-CELLENT SHELLFIE’ Sixth class students from Kilmacrennan NS got into the spirit of Easter, when they undertook in a unique science project which detailed the life cycle of a duck. Innovative sixth class teacher Ann-Marie Ferry decided on the informative project as part of a science project. […]
- PICTURE SPECIAL: 75TH BIRTHDAY CELEBRATIONS FOR FINN VALLEY COLLEGE In the long and illustrious 75 year history of Finn Valley College/Stranorlar Vocational School, there surely can not have been many nights to have topped this one. The Villa Rose Hotel was the fabulous venue for the crowning night of a year of celebrations at the weekend. Three […]
- CALLING ALL TEACHERS – STUDY A MASTERS OF ARTS IN LEARNING AND TEACHING AT LYIT The LYIT is launching its second offering of its highly successful Masters of Arts in Learning and Teaching. The Head of Department of Law and Humanities at LYIT, Anne Burke said teaching is one of the most demanding yet rewarding and important professions. "Tailor-made Masters […]
- GAA COACH RORY: WHY I’M BACKING SEAN QUINN AND HIS FAMILY DONEGAL'S assistant coach Rory Gallagher has spoken about the reasons why he spoke on Sunday evening at a rally in support of former billionaire Sean Quinn. Up to 8,000 people cheered when Gallagher, a Fermanagh native, was introduced to them in Ballyconnell, Co Cavan, as the man who […]
- SAM COMES TO LORETO COMMUNITY SCHOOL, MILFORD – PIC SPECIAL The Sam Maguire cup stopped in at Loreto Community School Milford as he continues his non stop tour of schools across the county. Donegal star Martin McElhinney brought Sam to the students and staff at Loreto School.
- FULL OF LIFE, FULL OF FUN – A TRIBUTE TO TRAGIC TOMÁS Well known Ardara man John McConnell was left heart-broken by the news of the tragic death of Tomás Maguire in Australia. Here John recalls a young man full of fun, full of life and with everything to live for. He speaks for all of Co Donegal when he laments the sudden loss of […]
- THANK YOU! DONEGALDAILY.COM SMASHES 1.5 MILLION PAGE VIEWS BARRIER! DONEGALDAILY.COM has smashed another incredible record - thanks to you, our readers. The county's No1 source for news had more than 1.5 MILLION Page Views in January as more and more people enjoy getting the very latest news and sport at their fingertips. In fact 1,523,551 pages […]