They may have been a little late (what’s four hours when you’ve won Sam Maguire!) but that didn’t stop the people of the Twin Towns from turning out in force for the Donegal team.
Huge crowds gathered in the wind and the rain for Jim McGuinness and the boys in the shadow of MacCumhaill Park – the scene of many inter-county battles down through the years.
Next year it will be the base from where Donegal defend Sam!
WITH MANY THANKS TO GERARD MCHUGH FOR THE PHOTOGRAPHS!
More from Donegal Daily
- THE MESSAGE IS ‘BE PATIENT’ AS OUR HEROES CONTINUE THEIR TOUR OF DONEGAL UPDATED: DONEGAL DAILY COMMENT: The victorious Donegal team last night looked like they were going to fall asleep on stage in Letterkenny. The time was 12.40am and the team were completing a frantic day during which they visited numerous towns from Bundoran to Ballybofey. They […]
- THE DAY SAM GOT THE ‘MAX’ FROM MULROY COLLEGE! Mulroy College in Milford welcomed a very special guest to the school yesterday. Sam Maguire along with Donegal video analyst Maxi Curran and player Martin McElhinney were treated as VIPs when they arrived at the school. Principal Ms Fiona Temple said she was very grateful […]
- IT’S MURPHY’S DAY AS TEAM TO FINISH WORLD TOUR OF DONEGAL IN GLENSWILLY TONIGHT! It may be Arthur’s Day throughout Ireland today but it’s very much Murphy’s Day in Co Donegal. We can reveal that the Donegal GAA team will finish their ‘world tour of Donegal’ with a rousing celebration at captain Michael Murphy’s club in Glenswilly this evening. A huge crowd is […]
- COUNTDOWN TO CROKER – FARMER BELIEVES DONEGAL WIN IS WRITTEN IN STONE! One man believes that Donegal will lift Sam Maguire again this year and he’s even written it in stone. In fact, farmer Anthony Barrett has spent two months building a huge stone version of the famous All-Ireland trophy and placed it on his land. The cup, which stands more than […]
- SAM COMES TO LORETO COMMUNITY SCHOOL, MILFORD – PIC SPECIAL The Sam Maguire cup stopped in at Loreto Community School Milford as he continues his non stop tour of schools across the county. Donegal star Martin McElhinney brought Sam to the students and staff at Loreto School.
- DETAILS REVEALED FOR SAM MAGUIRE’S VISIT TO LETTERKENNY! The Donegal Senior Football Team will bring back the SAM MAGUIRE to Letterkenny at 8pm this evening. Oliver Plunkett Road will be closed to traffic from 4pm this evening to facilitate the event. Live entertainment will take place on Oliver Plunkett Road from 7pm with team expected […]
- MAN WHO BIT GARDA DURING ARREST ORDERED TO PAY €3,000 TO GARDA FUND A man who bit and assaulted a Gardai as he was being arrested for tampering with his former partner’s car has received a suspended jail sentence and ordered to pay €3,000 to the Garda Benevolent Fund. Garda responded to a call after hearing that Ricardo Evangelista had put sugar into […]
- CLUB TIR CHONAILL TAKE SAM TO SEE THE SYDNEY HARBOUR BRIDGE Sams on Tour of Australia, and he is accompanied by Club Tir Chonaill Chairman Ciaran Kelly all in aid of the 2013 Donegal GAA Training Fund. The famous trophy was pictured this week at the Sydney Harbour Bridge, for the first time in GAA history.
- PICTURE SPECIAL AS RYAN BRINGS SAM TO CRANA COLLEGE ALL-IRELAND hero Ryan Bradley kept a promise to the staff and pupils of Crana College this week when he returned there - with the Sam Maguire.
- SAM MAGUIRE LEAVES THE HILLS FOR A FUNDRAISING MISSION DOWN UNDER SAM has left the hills - but don't worry another county hasn't stolen him. For Sam Maguire is heading off Down Under on a fundraising mission for Donegal GAA. The chairman of Club Tír Chonaill Ciaran Kelly has decided to bring the Sam Maguire Gaelic football’s most coveted […]
- DONEGAL DRIVERS WARNED TO EXPECT DELAYS – FOR A MONTH! Donegal drivers traveling through the Twin Towns of Ballybofey and Stranorlar have been warned they face long delays - for at least a month. Major roadworks have commenced between Admiran Park and McClay's Corner. And they will continue until October 3rd next. The roadworks […]
- STUNNING PICTURE SPECIAL OF DONEGAL COASTLINE BEING BATTERED BY HUGE WAVES Picture Special: The selection of fantastic images above capture the power of the Atlantic as it bares down in all its glory on the Donegal coastline. Coastal towns and villages have been hit by strong winds in recent days and these images were taken earlier today in Fanad. The […]
- PICTURE SPECIAL: DONEGAL LADIES V CLARE LADIES IT was the third win in three outings for Donegal's Senior Ladies today as they travelled to Clare and came home tonight with an excellent 5-12 to 1-03 victory. All pictures by Gabrielle Gallagher.
- WOW! ANITA’S PICTURES OF DONEGAL’S ‘LITTLE PIECES OF HEAVEN’ ANTIA MARTIN WRITES: I thought Donegal Daily readers might like these fabulous snaps I caught today. The first four are from Carrickfinn Beach in Annagry this afternoon and the last three are from Barnesmore Gap outside Ballybofey this morning. Little pieces of heaven right here on […]
- STUNNING PICTURE SPECIAL: IAIN MILLER’S GREAT DONEGAL OUTDOORS: WINTER ON MUCKISH MOUNTAIN In this slightly colder article on the Donegal great outdoors, hidden gem series we are going to visit the north face of Muckish Mountain on a very wintery day. Winter in Ireland is a very fleeting mistress with a sudden drop in the ambient air temperature and an even swifter rise in […]
- CARS DESTROYED AND FIELDS FLOODED AFTER NIGHT OF TORRENTIAL RAIN BREAKING NEWS: These are some of the devastating scenes after the county woke up to a night of heavy flooding. Cars have been destroyed and land flooded after consistent rain caused havoc in many parts. At least three cars are missing and several other cars destroyed after […]
- CONTROVERSIAL RITZ CINEMA IS SAVED FROM THE BULLDOZER! Plans to demolish the iconic Ritz Cinema in Ballybofey have been scrapped by Donegal County Council. The council have declared the premises, which has been vacant since 2008, as a listed building. There was uproar recently when the owners of the art deco building, The Butt Hall […]
- ON WESTERN SHORES – BALLYBOFEY WOMAN CAPTURES MOOD OF DONEGAL WITH BOOK OF SONGS Her unique insight of life and experiences of living in the north-west has inspired a Ballybofey-based woman to publish a book of her songs which she hopes will capture her love of the area and the influences it has had on her. Its author, Philippa Collings, describes ‘On Western […]
- OPINION: DONEGAL EMIGRANT SPEAKS OUT AGAINST PLANS TO DEMOLISH THE RITZ CINEMA Plans to demolish the old Ritz Cinema in the Twin Towns of Ballybofey and Stranorlar has sparked a massive debate which has divided the local community. In this open letter, young emigrant Aaron Guthrie, who is from the area, speaks about his feelings on the proposal. "Will I […]
- PICTURE SPECIAL: DONEGAL WOMAN MEETS THE IRISH LIONS DOWN UNDER Glenfin native Eimear Mc Glinchey couldn't believe her luck when she bumped into some of her Irish rugby heroes that are currently on tour with the British and Irish lions in Australia. She is pictured with them alongside her Daughter Keela and Son Tiernan.