UPDATED: YOU have to salute Jim McGuinness and his players again.
They’re determined to make sure each and every fan on every road and byway of this county gets to see the Sam Maguire and savour this wonderful success.
So it was no surprise that Day One of the World Tour of Donegal took a few hours longer than hoped.
And a journey which began this morning in Bundoran ended an incredible 12 hours later on the streets of Letterkenny, four and a half hours after the scheduled arrival.
The humour and good will from the players has been astonishing; stopping to talk to fans, signing autographs and most importantly of all, posing for pictures with the Sam Maguire.
It was a frustrating day too unfortunately; the Glenswilly reception had to be postponed because of the lateness of the hour.
And many younger fans in Ballybofey and Letterkenny couldn’t wait any longer and were tucked away in bed.
But there will be other days and nights like this.
Dermot ‘Brick’ Molloy tweeted on arrival: “Don’t worry, I’m on my way to Letterkenny. I’ll crack a smile when I’m standing next to you.”
Paul Carr from the St Eunan’s club and Jim McGlynn from Letterkenny Gaels welcomed the county team to the town.
And Mayor Dessie Larkin joked: “Carlsberg don’t do All-Irelands, but McGuinness does.”
If the players were tired, they weren’t showing it – enjoying every moment.
Manager Jim McGuinness once again paid a warm tribute to all of those who had waited so long to see the team.
And of course Rory Gallagher was there to get the crowd into Jimmy’s Winning Matches.
More from Donegal Daily
- SAM’S WORLD TOUR OF DONEGAL – DUNFANAGHY PICTURE SPECIAL
A HUGE crowd of Donegal fans greeted the Heroes of 2012 when they arrived in Dunfanaghy on Wednesday evening.
Local hero Colm McFadden helped carry the Sam Maguire down the main street.
And like everywhere else on this remarkable journey across the county - a journey the […]
- JIM, MICHAEL AND SAM’S WORLD TOUR OF AMERICA – IN PICTURES THERE'S one thing Jim McGuinness knows - and that's the heartache of emigration.
People from this county have spread to the four corners of the globe.
And over the past seven days Jim, his Donegal captain Michael Murphy and their new 'best friend' Sam Maguire have been able to take […]
- THE MESSAGE IS ‘BE PATIENT’ AS OUR HEROES CONTINUE THEIR TOUR OF DONEGAL UPDATED: DONEGAL DAILY COMMENT: The victorious Donegal team last night looked like they were going to fall asleep on stage in Letterkenny.
The time was 12.40am and the team were completing a frantic day during which they visited numerous towns from Bundoran to Ballybofey.
- SAM’S WORLD TOUR OF DONEGAL – MILFORD PICTURE SPECIAL
Milford may have one of Donegal's narrowest Main Streets but there was standing room only on it when the victorious Donegal football brought Sam to the town.
More than 2,500 people crammed into the town to pay tribute to Jim McGuinness and the boys.
Local schoolchildren were […]
- PRIDE AND SADNESS AS GAA STAR TAKES SAM TO THE GRAVE OF TOMÁS MAGUIRE
IT'S a picture which will evoke immense pride in those who knew him, and sadness too.
GAA star Paddy McGrath took the Sam Maguire to see another Maguire - the late Tomás Maguire.
The 24-year-old Ardara man died in an accident in Western Australia in June.
A superb footballer […]
- SAM’S WORLD TOUR OF DONEGAL – WHEN SAM WENT TO MOVILLE
WE'RE now totally convinced there's more than one Jim McGuinness.
For there's no way any man could have clocked all those miles with a big cup in the same week!
Here's some snaps from Moville.
With thanks to Leanne Cumming for the pix.
- SAM’S WORLD TOUR OF DONEGAL – PROUD MOMENT FOR DECLAN IN MALIN
DECLAN Walsh was the proudest man in Ireland tonight at the country's most northerly GAA club as he carried the Sam Maguire into Malin.
A huge crowd of enthusiastic supporters turned out to see the cup arrive in the town.
The players may have looked a bit tired - but their […]
- SAM’S WORLD TOUR OF DONEGAL – BALLYBOFEY PICTURE SPECIAL They may have been a little late (what's four hours when you've won Sam Maguire!) but that didn't stop the people of the Twin Towns from turning out in force for the Donegal team.
Huge crowds gathered in the wind and the rain for Jim McGuinness and the boys in the shadow of […]
- JIM’S PROMISE TO DONEGAL CHILDREN: ‘WE’LL TAKE SAM INTO EVERY SCHOOL IN THE COUNTY’
DONEGAL manager Jim McGuinness promised fans tonight that every child in the county will get a chance to see the Sam Maguire over the next few weeks.
And the whole nation will see it on TV tomorrow night as Jim and the team are the special guests of the Late Late Show.
- TEN MILLION THANKS TO YOU – FROM DONEGALDAILY.COM IT'S OFFICIAL - donegaldaily.com is Donegal's biggest news source...by a Donegal mile! Or a hundred of them!
That's because latest independent statistics show that this month alone donegaldaily.com has had an incredible 10,507,206 hits - and we still have a few days of the month to […]
- SAM’S WORLD TOUR OF DONEGAL – DOWNINGS PICTURE SPECIAL THE GAA mad town of Downings turned out in style to welcome the Sam Maguire and the victorious Donegal team home.
Richard Conneely was there for Donegal Daily.
You can send pix to email@example.com.
- SAM’S WORLD TOUR ARRIVES IN CHICAGO THE WORLD tour of Sam has arrived in Chicago.
And hundreds of ex-pat Donegal folk were out in force to see Sam Maguire and the Donegal players during a whirlwind tour of the USA.
Said Kevin Hegarty - formerly of the parish of Kilcar: "It was a great night. So proud of the boys and […]
- SAM’S WORLD TOUR OF DONEGAL – STRAMORE NS, GLENDOWAN PICTURE SPECIAL
He may be one of the stars of the Donegal GAA All-Ireland winning team.
But to the pupils of Stramore National School in Glendowan, Frank McGlynn is much more than that.
He is one of their favourite teachers and has been a huge influence on the children at the school.
- CHRISTY ‘UNITES’ WITH CO-WORKERS TO PREPARE FOR SAM – IN PICTURES Christy Toye can safely be described as a veteran of the current Donegal side.
And yet the Creeslough man, despite only coming on for a few appearances, has supported Jim McGuinness from the start.
And while Christy supported Jim over the last few months, Christy's workmates at […]
- THE GARDAI BEHIND WORLD TOUR OF DONEGAL WITH SAM GET PIC – WITH SAM!
THE DONEGAL team has tonight paid tribute to the Gardai who have been escorting them across the county since their arrival in Pettigo on Monday night.
A Co Board statement said: "A big thank you to members of An Garda Síochána Traffic Corps who have been escorting the All Ireland […]
- SAM’S WORLD TOUR OF DONEGAL REACHES THE SUMMIT OF ERRIGAL!
HE'S been everywhere else since last September.
Now the Sam Maguire has been given the most spectacular view ever - from the top of Errigal.
Has to be the best stop-off yet - those guys at the county board are fit!
- PICTURE SPECIAL AS THE WORLD TOUR OF SAM MAGUIRE FINALLY MAKES IT TO TORY ISLAND THE sun shone for Sam Maguire as the famous old trophy's World Tour of Donegal made it to Tory Island.
It was a special day for the 160 or so inhabitants of the beautiful island off the Donegal coast came out in force to welcome Sam home!
- CELEBRATE SAM DAY AT THE MOUNT ERRIGAL HOTEL
A Celebrate Sam Day will take place at the Mount Errigal Hotel Letterkenny this Thursday 18th April from 12- 8pm.
The county board have a number of goals they want to achieve with this project.
"It's a chance to give as many people as possible the opportunity to have a top […]
- ONE MORE DAY TO CROKER – YOUR PICTURES OF THE DAY
"If people in Donegal and Donegal people abroad can walk that wee bit taller and feel that wee bit prouder of their home and their home county, then it makes all of the hard work we put in all the more worthwhile."
That's what Jim McGuinness has said about the long journey to […]
- INCREDIBLE: MORE THAN 20,000 VIEWS OF RORY & JIMMY’S DONEGAL GAA VIDEO
WHEN Donegaldaily.com told you about a superb new song for the county team a couple of days ago, just 69 people had seen it on YouTube.
It features the brilliant singer/songwriter Rory Gallagher from Donegal - and Jimmy from Senegal.
And their tribute to Jim […]