UPDATED: YOU have to salute Jim McGuinness and his players again.
They’re determined to make sure each and every fan on every road and byway of this county gets to see the Sam Maguire and savour this wonderful success.
So it was no surprise that Day One of the World Tour of Donegal took a few hours longer than hoped.
And a journey which began this morning in Bundoran ended an incredible 12 hours later on the streets of Letterkenny, four and a half hours after the scheduled arrival.
The humour and good will from the players has been astonishing; stopping to talk to fans, signing autographs and most importantly of all, posing for pictures with the Sam Maguire.
It was a frustrating day too unfortunately; the Glenswilly reception had to be postponed because of the lateness of the hour.
And many younger fans in Ballybofey and Letterkenny couldn’t wait any longer and were tucked away in bed.
But there will be other days and nights like this.
Dermot ‘Brick’ Molloy tweeted on arrival: “Don’t worry, I’m on my way to Letterkenny. I’ll crack a smile when I’m standing next to you.”
Paul Carr from the St Eunan’s club and Jim McGlynn from Letterkenny Gaels welcomed the county team to the town.
And Mayor Dessie Larkin joked: “Carlsberg don’t do All-Irelands, but McGuinness does.”
If the players were tired, they weren’t showing it – enjoying every moment.
Manager Jim McGuinness once again paid a warm tribute to all of those who had waited so long to see the team.
And of course Rory Gallagher was there to get the crowd into Jimmy’s Winning Matches.
More from Donegal Daily
- THE MESSAGE IS ‘BE PATIENT’ AS OUR HEROES CONTINUE THEIR TOUR OF DONEGAL UPDATED: DONEGAL DAILY COMMENT: The victorious Donegal team last night looked like they were going to fall asleep on stage in Letterkenny.
The time was 12.40am and the team were completing a frantic day during which they visited numerous towns from Bundoran to Ballybofey.
- SAM’S WORLD TOUR OF DONEGAL – PROUD MOMENT FOR DECLAN IN MALIN
DECLAN Walsh was the proudest man in Ireland tonight at the country's most northerly GAA club as he carried the Sam Maguire into Malin.
A huge crowd of enthusiastic supporters turned out to see the cup arrive in the town.
The players may have looked a bit tired - but their […]
- JIM’S PROMISE TO DONEGAL CHILDREN: ‘WE’LL TAKE SAM INTO EVERY SCHOOL IN THE COUNTY’
DONEGAL manager Jim McGuinness promised fans tonight that every child in the county will get a chance to see the Sam Maguire over the next few weeks.
And the whole nation will see it on TV tomorrow night as Jim and the team are the special guests of the Late Late Show.
- SAM’S WORLD TOUR OF DONEGAL – DOWNINGS PICTURE SPECIAL THE GAA mad town of Downings turned out in style to welcome the Sam Maguire and the victorious Donegal team home.
Richard Conneely was there for Donegal Daily.
You can send pix to email@example.com.
- SAM’S WORLD TOUR OF DONEGAL – STRAMORE NS, GLENDOWAN PICTURE SPECIAL
He may be one of the stars of the Donegal GAA All-Ireland winning team.
But to the pupils of Stramore National School in Glendowan, Frank McGlynn is much more than that.
He is one of their favourite teachers and has been a huge influence on the children at the school.
- PICTURE SPECIAL AS THE WORLD TOUR OF SAM MAGUIRE FINALLY MAKES IT TO TORY ISLAND THE sun shone for Sam Maguire as the famous old trophy's World Tour of Donegal made it to Tory Island.
It was a special day for the 160 or so inhabitants of the beautiful island off the Donegal coast came out in force to welcome Sam home!
- CELEBRATE SAM DAY AT THE MOUNT ERRIGAL HOTEL
A Celebrate Sam Day will take place at the Mount Errigal Hotel Letterkenny this Thursday 18th April from 12- 8pm.
The county board have a number of goals they want to achieve with this project.
"It's a chance to give as many people as possible the opportunity to have a top […]
- INCREDIBLE: MORE THAN 20,000 VIEWS OF RORY & JIMMY’S DONEGAL GAA VIDEO
WHEN Donegaldaily.com told you about a superb new song for the county team a couple of days ago, just 69 people had seen it on YouTube.
It features the brilliant singer/songwriter Rory Gallagher from Donegal - and Jimmy from Senegal.
And their tribute to Jim […]
- LACEY TAKES SAM ON WORLD TOUR OF NEW YORK THE city that never sleeps has welcomed the players that never stop - Sam Maguire is in New York!
Pictured are Donegal's Karl Lacey, with the Sam Maguire Cup, and Kilkenny's Henry Shefflin, with the Liam MacCarthy Cup, in Times Square!
- DONEGAL FAN SAYS HE WILL LEAVE CAR AT CROKER IF TEAM DON’T WIN SAM! A Donegal GAA fan has vowed to leave his amazing new car in Dublin if his team lose the All Ireland Final.
Martin O’Donnell from Dungloe has been turning heads since he spent a “small fortune” customising his car after Donegal reached the final.
Martin, who owns Dungloe […]
- MAYOR OF LETTERKENNY SAYS DONEGAL GAA TEAM COULD DO A TOUR OF THE COUNTY The Mayor of Letterkenny says he would like to see the Donegal GAA team do a tour of the county when they return from the All Ireland Final.
Cllr Dessie Larkin was speaking after controversy erupted over the team’s homecoming celebrations in three weeks time.
It was sparked after […]
- SAM’S WORLD TOUR OF DONEGAL – WHEN MICHAEL, NEIL AND GARY ARRIVED IN THE GLEN
THEY may have been 48 hours later than planned.
But the people of Glenswilly GAA club came out in their droves when the Sam Maguire cup finally arrived late last night.
Team captain Michael Murphy joined Neil Gallagher and Gary McFadden in returning to their home club.
- SAM MAGUIRE’S WORLD TOUR SET FOR GLASGOW THIS WEEKEND UNHAPPY with Celtic's elimination from the Champions League?
Well Donegal are sending the Sam Maguire to Glasgow this weekend to cheer everyone up!
The city's Tir Chonaill Harps GAA club are having a fun day this Sunday at John Paul II primary school.
- SAM’S WORLD TOUR OF DONEGAL ARRIVES AT ITS FIRST WEDDING IN 20 YEARS!
YOU may have thought the Sam Maguire Cup's World Tour of Donegal was over - but the tour continued this evening when the famous trophy made a guest appearance at its first wedding since last week's All-Ireland triumph.
And happy couple Eoghan McMonagle and Edelle McHugh were […]
- SAM’S WORLD TOUR OF DONEGAL – VIDEO OF TEAM IN NEWTOWN-SAM-INGHAM
THE victorious Donegal team are on their last leg of an enormous journey across the county.
At teatime hundreds of people lined the main street of Newtowncunningham - or Newtown-SAM-ingham - to cheer on the heroes of 2012.
We don't know where these boys get […]
- IRELAND’S NEW GOLF SENSATION HAS A DONEGAL CADDY!
GOLF: Ireland's newest golf sensation Paul Dunne has already made an impact on the European tour since turning pro - and he is being guided by a Donegal man!
Dunne hit the headline again last week, when he led the Alfred Dunhill Links after two rounds which also seen him hit a […]
- BREAKING NEWS: CAPTAIN MURPHY & CO ARE HOME IN THE GLEN WITH SAM MICHAEL Murphy, captain of the All-Ireland champions, is finally home in Glenswilly.
The Donegal team are on their last leg of the World Tour of Donegal.
- SAM ON TOUR TODAY – TIMES AND SCHEDULES HERE
UPDATED: The team left Carndonagh at 8.25pm.
If you are on the route, you can leave updates here on Donegal Daily or on our Facebook page or by sending us a Tweet.
Still to stop off at Malin, drive through Urris, stop-off in Buncrana
- SAM COMES TO LORETO COMMUNITY SCHOOL, MILFORD – PIC SPECIAL The Sam Maguire cup stopped in at Loreto Community School Milford as he continues his non stop tour of schools across the county. Donegal star Martin McElhinney brought Sam to the students and staff at Loreto School.
- McGUINNESS: ‘WE HAVE TO BELIEVE WE CAN WIN SAM MAGUIRE’ WHAT a difference a year makes.
So-called TV pundit Pat Spillane may be still begrudging when it comes to Donegal football this year.
In fact his comments on the Sunday Game were probably worse than that.
But for people who know what they're talking about, the sports writers, […]