CAPTAIN MICHAEL INTRODUCES SAM TO MUM AND DAD
THEY may have been 48 hours later than planned.
But the people of Glenswilly GAA club came out in their droves when the Sam Maguire cup finally arrived late last night.
Team captain Michael Murphy joined Neil Gallagher and Gary McFadden in returning to their home club.
And what a reception they got with more than 2,000 people turning up at the club to welcome home their heroes.
Michael Murphy thanked his parents Mick and Mary, his team-mates and the people of Glenswilly for helping fulfill the dream of a lifetime.
Neil Gallagher and Gary McFadden also made emotional tributes to their fellow county players, club players, families and people of Glenswilly.
Manager Jim McGuinness told the players that after four days that “the bus trip is over.”
He paid a special tribute to the Glenswilly trio for being honest and hard-working and then paid tribute to all his players.
He said two years ago the Donegal team had a reputation, rightly or wrongly, for other things.
But he said he had never met a more honest and hard-working bunch of players than the current squad.
He also paid tribute to the Glenswilly club and said he hoped that it brought a new cycle of county players through its ranks in years to come.
It’s the end of Sam’s World Tour of Donegal…for now at least.
Next stop. The RTE studios in Dublin for the Late Late Show as Jim and the boys step once again into enemy territory for a few hours.
Just make sure Sam’s back first thing Saturday morning for the St Eunan’s World Record Attempt.
Rory Kavanagh, Kevin Rafferty and Frank Mc Glynn will be in O’Donnell Park as thousands of children and adults from all over the county attempt to set a new World Record for the most people taking part in a GAA training session at the same time.
More details on a new story in the morning.
PS Brick’s heading for the Pulse, or so he says!
More from Donegal Daily
- IT’S MURPHY’S DAY AS TEAM TO FINISH WORLD TOUR OF DONEGAL IN GLENSWILLY TONIGHT! It may be Arthur’s Day throughout Ireland today but it’s very much Murphy’s Day in Co Donegal.
We can reveal that the Donegal GAA team will finish their ‘world tour of Donegal’ with a rousing celebration at captain Michael Murphy’s club in Glenswilly this evening.
A huge crowd is […]
- SAM’S WORLD TOUR OF DONEGAL ARRIVES AT ITS FIRST WEDDING IN 20 YEARS!
YOU may have thought the Sam Maguire Cup's World Tour of Donegal was over - but the tour continued this evening when the famous trophy made a guest appearance at its first wedding since last week's All-Ireland triumph.
And happy couple Eoghan McMonagle and Edelle McHugh were […]
- JIM’S PROMISE TO DONEGAL CHILDREN: ‘WE’LL TAKE SAM INTO EVERY SCHOOL IN THE COUNTY’
DONEGAL manager Jim McGuinness promised fans tonight that every child in the county will get a chance to see the Sam Maguire over the next few weeks.
And the whole nation will see it on TV tomorrow night as Jim and the team are the special guests of the Late Late Show.
- SAM’S WORLD TOUR OF DONEGAL – PROUD MOMENT FOR DECLAN IN MALIN
DECLAN Walsh was the proudest man in Ireland tonight at the country's most northerly GAA club as he carried the Sam Maguire into Malin.
A huge crowd of enthusiastic supporters turned out to see the cup arrive in the town.
The players may have looked a bit tired - but their […]
- DONEGAL TEAM TAKE TO THE SKIES FOR CORK GAME – PICTURE EXCLUSIVE
The Donegal GAA team left the county in style this morning as they took a specially-chartered plane to Cork for the National League game against the Rebels tonight.
The team were given a great send-off by fans and staff at Donegal Airport at Carrickfin.
The team looked casual […]
- SAM’S WORLD TOUR OF DONEGAL – WHEN LEONARD MET SAM IN CARN AFTER A TRIP FROM DOWN UNDER
THERE was another huge crowd of enthusiastic fans in Carndonagh when the Sam Maguire came calling with the Donegal team.
It was a very special moment for Carn man Leonard Harkin (sure aren't they all Harkins up there!)
He had travelled all the way from Melbourne in Australia […]
- TOP BROADCASTER BRANDS DONEGAL’S INTERVIEW ON LATE LATE A “DISGRACE” The controversy surrounding the Donegal team’s brief appearance on RTE’s Late Late Show has been reignited by one of Ireland’s top broadcasters.
Well-known and hugely respected former UTV sports commentator Adrian Logan has branded the interview a disgrace.
Logan, affectionately […]
- “WE WANTED MORE THAN ANYTHING ELSE IN THE WORLD TO BRING BACK SAM” – McGUINNESS
One very important passenger may have been missing from their entourage as Donegal GAA manager Jim McGuinness and his team returned home tonight.
But even without the Sam Maguire cup, an estimated crowd of more than 5,000 people thronged The Diamond in Donegal Town to welcome […]
- DONEGAL’S HARD GRAFT PAYS OFF AGAINST TYRONE Tyrone 0-6 Donegal 1-10
Donegal hit a rich vein of form to beat Tyrone comfortably at Healy Park and send the Red Hand spiralling into the relegation zone.
Mickey Harte’s men had promised to put on their scoring boots after recent laboured displays.
But it was Jim McGuinness’ […]
- DELIGHT FOR FOUR MASTERS U12 STAR LEE MURCHAN AS HE REPRESENTS CLUB AT CROKE PARK Four Masters GAA News:
Club Lotto Result
The draw for the latest club lotto took place on Monday night in the Abbey Hotel. There was no jackpot winner of the €2,000 jackpot with the number drawn: 4, 17, 20 and 23. Four consolation prize winners of €25 drawn were Lorcan McGinley […]
- GLENSWILLY READY TO MAKE A BIG IMPACT IN ULSTER CLUB CHAMPIONSHIP Glenswilly manager Gary McDaid feels his side are better positioned now than they were in 2011 to make an impact on this years Ulster Club Championship.
Glenswilly face a tough test when they take on Antrim kingpins St. Gall's in Ballybofey this Sunday.
St. Gall's have dominated […]
- SAM’S HOME: VIDEO OF JIM AND DANIEL SINGING ‘DESTINATION DONEGAL’
THIS Jimmy McGuinness boy's talents know no bounds!
We all know Michael Murphy can sing - and sing well.
And his rendition of Jimmy's Winning Matches in Pettigo was X Factor stuff.
But here's Jimmy Singing Songs - with Daniel O'Donnell.
Click to play
- CATHAL MacSUIBNE’S DONEGAL GAA BLOG: TIME TO BACK JIM AND THE BOYS
The three-in-a-row dream died against a Farney onslaught yesterday but Donegal are still alive in this year’s quest for Sam - going by their display in the provincial showpiece though things need to improve quickly. It's six short days until the back door is bolted shut for another […]
- GAA LEGEND TIPS DONEGAL TO GO ALL THE WAY It may be early days but one of the GAA’s greatest legends has said Donegal have what it takes to possibly go all the way this year.
Kerry legend Mick O’Dwyer has admitted he was not a fan of Donegal’s brand of football last year.
But Micko has now admitted that he is gradually […]
- DONEGAL FAN PUTS €121,000 ON JIM’S BOYS TO LIFT SAM A DONEGAL fan has put a huge bet on Donegal beating Kerry in this Sunday's All-Ireland final at Croke Park.
Boylesports says the punter certainly has faith in Jim McGuinness’ squad as he has placed €121,000 on Donegal at 8/11 to win the match in 70 minutes.
"The punter is set to […]
- MAYO HAVEN’T A PRAYER THANKS TO THE SAM-MOBILE! Donegal manager Jim McGuinness may be on the verge of leading his county to the promised land.
So what better way for him to return home if his team manage to beat Mayo in the All-Ireland final than in a Sam-mobile!
The customised jeep has been designed by fanatical Donegal fan […]
- IT’S THE MICHAEL MURPHY SHOW AS GLENSWILLY CROWNED 2013 COUNTY CHAMPIONS
BREAKING NEWS: GLENSWILLY are 2013 Senior County Football Champions.
They easily saw off Killybegs in the final at MacCumhaill Park in Ballybofey this afternoon with their county stars - and in particular Michael Murphy - proving the massive difference.
Both Neil Gallagher and […]
- DONEGAL PLAYERS OFF TO BOSTON FOR ALL-STAR TRIP
Donegal's 2014 All-Star winners have jetted off to Boston this morning for the annual GAA/GPA All-Stars tour.
Paul Durcan, Neil McGee, Neil Gallagher, Michael Murphy and Ryan McHugh have headed stateside for the trip.
Patrick McBrearty is also included in the travelling party […]
- FULL TIME ALL-IRELAND FINAL – WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS MO CHARA!!
IT maybe for four days to Arthur's Day, but Sunday, September 23, 2012 will go down in the history of the GAA as 'Jimmy's Day'.
So let's raise a glass of the black stuff to Jimmy McGuinness who has nutured and trained his Donegal team into a fine group of true warriors […]
- DONEGAL TEAM CLEAN UP ON SUNDAY GAME TEAM OF THE YEAR Eight Donegal players have been named on RTE’s Sunday Game Team of the Year.
The players are Paul Durcan, Neil Magee, Frank McGlynn, Karl Lacey, Mark McHugh, Neil Gallagher, Colm McFadden and Michael Murphy.
Michael Murphy was named as today’s Man of the Match.
The Sunday Game’s […]