CAPTAIN MICHAEL INTRODUCES SAM TO MUM AND DAD
THEY may have been 48 hours later than planned.
But the people of Glenswilly GAA club came out in their droves when the Sam Maguire cup finally arrived late last night.
Team captain Michael Murphy joined Neil Gallagher and Gary McFadden in returning to their home club.
And what a reception they got with more than 2,000 people turning up at the club to welcome home their heroes.
Michael Murphy thanked his parents Mick and Mary, his team-mates and the people of Glenswilly for helping fulfill the dream of a lifetime.
Neil Gallagher and Gary McFadden also made emotional tributes to their fellow county players, club players, families and people of Glenswilly.
Manager Jim McGuinness told the players that after four days that “the bus trip is over.”
He paid a special tribute to the Glenswilly trio for being honest and hard-working and then paid tribute to all his players.
He said two years ago the Donegal team had a reputation, rightly or wrongly, for other things.
But he said he had never met a more honest and hard-working bunch of players than the current squad.
He also paid tribute to the Glenswilly club and said he hoped that it brought a new cycle of county players through its ranks in years to come.
It’s the end of Sam’s World Tour of Donegal…for now at least.
Next stop. The RTE studios in Dublin for the Late Late Show as Jim and the boys step once again into enemy territory for a few hours.
Just make sure Sam’s back first thing Saturday morning for the St Eunan’s World Record Attempt.
Rory Kavanagh, Kevin Rafferty and Frank Mc Glynn will be in O’Donnell Park as thousands of children and adults from all over the county attempt to set a new World Record for the most people taking part in a GAA training session at the same time.
More details on a new story in the morning.
PS Brick’s heading for the Pulse, or so he says!
More from Donegal Daily
- SAM’S WORLD TOUR OF DONEGAL – VIDEO OF A PROUD NIGHT IN GLENSWILLY
IT WAS a very proud night for members of the Glenswilly GAA club as they welcomed home Sam to the captain's club.
Michael Murphy, Neil Gallagher and Gary McFadden were greeted by family and friends.
With thanks to Wallace Media for this video.
Click to […]
- IT’S MURPHY’S DAY AS TEAM TO FINISH WORLD TOUR OF DONEGAL IN GLENSWILLY TONIGHT! It may be Arthur’s Day throughout Ireland today but it’s very much Murphy’s Day in Co Donegal.
We can reveal that the Donegal GAA team will finish their ‘world tour of Donegal’ with a rousing celebration at captain Michael Murphy’s club in Glenswilly this evening.
A huge crowd is […]
- SAM’S WORLD TOUR OF DONEGAL ARRIVES AT ITS FIRST WEDDING IN 20 YEARS!
YOU may have thought the Sam Maguire Cup's World Tour of Donegal was over - but the tour continued this evening when the famous trophy made a guest appearance at its first wedding since last week's All-Ireland triumph.
And happy couple Eoghan McMonagle and Edelle McHugh were […]
- GAA NEWS: GLENSWILLY CLUB NOTES A very special Under Age presentation took place in the club hall on Thursday 20th December. Special guests were Michael Murphy, Neil Gallagher, Gary McFadden and Sam Maguire. Many thanks to the three lads for giving up the entire day to make special visits to the local […]
- GAA NEWS: GLENSWILLY CLUB NOTES Following the celebrations after our fantastic All Ireland win in Croke Park it was back to the reality of Club Championship here in Donegal at the weekend. The Senior and Reserve teams travelled to Gaoth Dobhair where the reserves were well beaten and the Seniors came away with a hard […]
- GAA NEWS: GLENSWILLY CLUB NOTES The Under Age presentation will take place in the club hall on Thursday 20th December at 7pm. Special guests will include Michael Murphy, Neil Gallagher, Gary McFadden and Sam Maguire.
Circuits have finished up for the Christmas season and will begin again on Monday 7th January at 7pm […]
- GAA NEWS: GLENSWILLY GAA CLUB NOTES The Ulster semi final of Scór na nÓg took place last Friday night in Glenswilly. Unfortunately the Nuachleas team were narrowly defeated by St Enda's from Omagh. Many thanks to everyone who helped in any way in the running of this event. The club would like to wish all the Donegal […]
- JIM’S PROMISE TO DONEGAL CHILDREN: ‘WE’LL TAKE SAM INTO EVERY SCHOOL IN THE COUNTY’
DONEGAL manager Jim McGuinness promised fans tonight that every child in the county will get a chance to see the Sam Maguire over the next few weeks.
And the whole nation will see it on TV tomorrow night as Jim and the team are the special guests of the Late Late Show.
- SAM’S WORLD TOUR OF DONEGAL – DUNFANAGHY PICTURE SPECIAL
A HUGE crowd of Donegal fans greeted the Heroes of 2012 when they arrived in Dunfanaghy on Wednesday evening.
Local hero Colm McFadden helped carry the Sam Maguire down the main street.
And like everywhere else on this remarkable journey across the county - a journey the […]
- DONEGAL STARS KEEP CARDS CLOSE TO THEIR CHEST AHEAD OF BIG GAME! Donegal boss Jim McGuinness is unlikely to be showing his hand before next Sunday’s All-Ireland final.
And he's also unlikely to shuffle the pack!
But that didn’t stop his players from putting on their poker faces last night.
The picture was taken as the players complete a […]
- SIMPLY STUNNING: VIDEO OF SAM’S VISITS TO GLENTIES AND GLENSWILLY
WHAT a week it has been for Donegal.
Incredible emotions last Sunday as Jim McGuinness, Rory Gallagher and Michael Murphy led the county to All-Ireland glory at Croke Park.
There was an incredible electric atmosphere at Croker; repeated in every townland across the […]
- SAM’S WORLD TOUR OF DONEGAL – WHEN RORY TOOK SAM TO SEE GRANNY
BEHIND every great player lies a great family.
Wives, girlfriends, mums, dads, children, brothers and sisters.
And behind all of them are the grandparents who are so proud.
So Granny Kavanagh was a very happy woman when grandson Rory brought Sam Maguire and Donegal captain […]
- SAM’S WORLD TOUR OF DONEGAL – PROUD MOMENT FOR DECLAN IN MALIN
DECLAN Walsh was the proudest man in Ireland tonight at the country's most northerly GAA club as he carried the Sam Maguire into Malin.
A huge crowd of enthusiastic supporters turned out to see the cup arrive in the town.
The players may have looked a bit tired - but their […]
- GAA NEWS: CLOUGHANEELY DO THE DOUBLE OVER MAC CUMHAILLS ***Div 2 League***
Cloughaneely played MacCumhaills at home on Easter Monday with both teams recording wins.
Reserves: The reserves led significantly for the majority of the game, with the scoreline at 1-10 |0-2 with 10 mins of the game remaining. MacCumhaills made a dramatic […]
- FANS GET THEIR HANDS ON SAM, MICHAEL AND JIM AT THE IRISH CENTRE IN PHILADELPHIA
Who said they were on a holiday?
Jim McGuinness and some of his players had no sooner touched down in America than they were whisked to the Irish Centre in Philadelphia.
Jim along with captain Michael Murphy are pictured with a certain Mr S Maguire and many happy Donegal […]
- THOUSANDS EXPECTED IN THE DIAMOND FOR RETURN OF GALLANT DONEGAL TEAMS Thousands of people are set to throng The Diamond in Donegal Town tonight when the Donegal Minor and Senior teams return home.
Both teams will get a huge welcome home despite being beaten in their respective All-Ireland Final games at Croke Park yesterday.
Traffic arrangements […]
- DONEGAL TEAM TAKE TO THE SKIES FOR CORK GAME – PICTURE EXCLUSIVE
The Donegal GAA team left the county in style this morning as they took a specially-chartered plane to Cork for the National League game against the Rebels tonight.
The team were given a great send-off by fans and staff at Donegal Airport at Carrickfin.
The team looked casual […]
- GLENSWILLY NOW SET THEIR SIGHTS ON ULSTER CHAMPIONSHIP SUCCESS Glenswilly manager Gary McDaid will later this week start to plot the downfall of former All-Ireland champions St.Galls as he looks to make an impact on this year's Ulster Club Championship.
Fresh from winning the Donegal SFC in emphatic fashion over Killybegs yesterday at Mac […]
- WELCOME DR MAGUIRE – THE COMMUNITY HAS BEEN EXPECTING YOU
Shay Farrell claimed he wasn’t quite sure who the man behind him was as he addressed the masses gathered in Glenswilly GAA Hall.
“Some fella by the name of Mick Murphy. I think he has a son playing for the under 10s,” said the adopted Glenswilly man via Dublin circa 1984 with a […]
- JIM, MICHAEL AND SAM’S WORLD TOUR OF AMERICA – IN PICTURES THERE'S one thing Jim McGuinness knows - and that's the heartache of emigration.
People from this county have spread to the four corners of the globe.
And over the past seven days Jim, his Donegal captain Michael Murphy and their new 'best friend' Sam Maguire have been able to take […]