Now the All-Ireland winning hurling champions Kilkenny have tried to hijack our unofficial anthem.
Kilkenny captain Eoin Larkin climbed the steps of Croke Park today after brushing aside Galway in the All-Ireland hurling final replay to heist the Liam McCarthy Cup.
But Larkin shocked fans when he sang a rather strange version of Rory Gallagher’s song Jimmy’s Winning Matches to the words of ‘Cody’s Winning Matches’ in honour of manager Brian Cody.
Social network sites have been swamped with calls for Larkin to keep his hands off our song.
Now if only Donegal could repeat the dominance Kilkenny has enjoyed over the years!
More from Donegal Daily
- DONEGAL EVENTUALLY FIND THE HIGHER GEARS TO OVERCOME GALWAY Donegal eventually found the higher gears to brush aside Galway at Croke Park this afternoon in this 4B qualifier. Despite a blistering start which included a fine goal from Patrick McBrearty, Rory Gallagher's side struggled to pull away from the Tribesmen in the opening […]
- GLENTIES SCHOOL CROWNED ALL-IRELAND SOCCER CHAMPIONS! GLENTIES has another all-Ireland title to celebrate - this time in soccer. Scoil Mhuire Glenties today became All Ireland Champions in the Girls Primary School Competition at the Aviva Stadium. Playing Cregmore Galway , Miltown Malbay Clare & Stonepark Longford, the […]
- RORY’S CHANCES OF PLAYING AT CROKER SCUPPERED – BY SENEGAL JIMMY! The Donegal GAA team’s adopted musical mascot’s hopes of playing Croke Park has been scuppered – by his musical sidekick. Rory Gallagher, whose song ‘Jimmy’s Winning Matches’ has become a huge hit, was hoping to bring his musical partner Senegal Jimmy back from his Lanzarote base for […]
- RORY OFFERS OASIS BROTHERS €200 TO OPEN HIS NEW BAR! Cheeky Donegal musician Rory Gallagher has contacted Oasis star Noel Gallagher's management offering them €200 if he makes up with brother Liam and opens his new bar. Rory, famous for his GAA anthem 'Jimmy's Winning Matches', wrote to Primary Talent asking them if the Gallagher […]
- DERRY CITY STAR SET TO JOIN UP WITH DONEGAL GAA SQUAD Derry City player Cillian Morrison is set to turn his back on professional football - and join Rory Gallagher's Donegal GAA panel. Morrison has played League of Ireland football with UCD, Cork City and Derry City respectively. However, it is believed he is strongly […]
- DELIGHT FOR FOUR MASTERS U12 STAR LEE MURCHAN AS HE REPRESENTS CLUB AT CROKE PARK Four Masters GAA News: Club Lotto Result The draw for the latest club lotto took place on Monday night in the Abbey Hotel. There was no jackpot winner of the €2,000 jackpot with the number drawn: 4, 17, 20 and 23. Four consolation prize winners of €25 drawn were Lorcan McGinley […]
- VIDEO SHOCKER: WHEN JIM McGUINNESS GOT FED UP WITH ‘JIMMY’S WINNING MATCHES’ DDTV VIDEO: DONEGAL manager Jim McGuinness is officially fed up with Rory Gallagher - the singer that is, not his No2 coach. At least that's the impression he gives in this tongue-in-cheek video for the RTE Sports Awards! Neither Rory Gallagher nor Rory Gallagher were […]
- COUNTDOWN TO CROKER – MILFORD NATIONAL SCHOOL SING ‘JIMMY’S WINNING MATCHES’ IT'S probably the greatest GAA song ever - Rory Gallagher's 'Jimmy's Winning Matches'. The man himself is being asked to sing it every five minutes. So here's a nice alternative version - from the pupils of Milford National School. Click to play.
- TIR CHONAILL ABÚ: CAPTAIN MURPHY SAYS HARD WORK WAS KEY TO VICTORY! DONEGAL Captain Michael Murphy said sweet victory over Kildare at Croke Park in the All-Ireland Quarter Final was just reward for the hard work put into the county effort by the players and management team. Murphy revealed that he played through the pain barrier when he came on as a […]
- JIMMY’S WINNING MATCHES: BRUSH UP ON YOUR LYRICS FOR CROKER IT has become an internet sensation since Donegal Daily told you about a superb tribute to the Donegal GAA team by Kilcar singer/songwriter Rory Gallagher - accompanied by Senegal Jimmy on a beach in Lanzarote. More than 140,000 people have now watched it on YouTube - making it […]
- GAA CHAMPIONSHIP: EUNANS CRUSH KILLYBEGS TO JOIN DUNGLOE AND NAOMH CONAILL IN SEMIS St Eunans cruised their way into the semi-final of the Donegal Senior Championship after a convincing win over Killybegs at MacCumhaill Park this evening. The Letterkenny club crushed the fishermen on a scoreline of 2-15 to 0-7 and now join Dungloe and Naomh Conaill in the […]
- SENEGAL JIMMY’S PROTESTS AS OTHERS CASH IN ON HIS FAME! He's already famous in Donegal for helping Rory Gallagher to sing Jimmy's Winning Matches. But now Senegal Jimmy, who makes a living selling fake Rolex watches to tourists in Lanzarote, has himself being ripped off by imitators cashing in on his fame. The video in honour of the […]
- BOYLES CLOSE 30-YEAR GAP TO WIN DONEGAL INTERNATIONAL RALLY LETTERMACAWARD'S Declan Boyle is Donegal International Rally champion - the first Donegal home crew win in 31 years. He and navigator Brian finished 30 seconds ahead of their nearest rivals. It's the first Donegal Driver since James Cullen in 99 and and the 1st ALL DONEGAL […]
- ALL THE RESULTS FROM THE BALLYSHANNON 5K FOYLE Valley's Keith Shiels set an incredible time in winning last night's Ballyshannon 5k - taking the tape in 15.14. He was followed in by Conan McCaughey from Enniskillen 11 seconds behind - with James Speight from Finn Valley AC a further 11 seconds back Here's all the results […]
- ALLIANZ NATIONAL LEAGUE: DONEGAL LEAD MAYO AT HALF-TIME IN CASTLEBAR DONEGAL are leading Mayo at half-time in their final Allianz National League clash of the season at McHale Park in Castlebar. Donegal are without the inspirational services of their captain Michael Murphy but have so far not missed the influence of the Glenswilly man. Odhran […]
- COUNTDOWN TO CROKER: MASSIVE BLOW FOR DONEGAL AS KARL LACEY RULED OUT COUNTDOWN TO CROKER: Rory Gallagher will have to plan without the services of Karl Lacey following confirmation earlier today that he won't be fit for Saturday's clash with Galway. Donegal face Galway at Croke Park on Saturday hoping to get their quest for an All-Ireland title back […]
- ODDS SHORTEN ON GALWAY VICTORY, BUT DONEGAL STILL FAVOURITES Croke Park is where the All-Ireland football action takes place this weekend with Donegal taking on Galway (throw-in 6pm). Bookies Boylesports says the odds on a Galway victory have shortened, although Rory Gallagher's men remain favourites. Tyrone are red hot at 1/14 to […]
- DATES AND VENUES SET FOR DONEGAL’S ALLIANZ NATIONAL LEAGUE FOOTBALL AND HURLING CAMPAIGNS THE times, dates and venues have been set the 2016 Allianz National League campaigns of Donegal's footballers and hurlers. The first game of Rory Gallagher’s campaign will see Donegal travel to Newry where they face Down at 7pm on January 30. The footballers have home games through […]
- DDTV: VIDEO INTERVIEW WITH DONEGAL MANAGER RORY GALLAGHER AHEAD OF GALWAY CLASH DDTV: Donegal manager Rory Gallagher says his side is now focused on taking on Galway at Croke Park on Saturday and have put the disappointment of the Ulster SFC Final loss behind them. Gallagher says his team is working on taking more of their scoring opportunities and is […]
- DDTV – COUNTDOWN TO CROKER: RORY PENS ANOTHER ODE TO JIMMY! He's done it again!!! That man Rory Gallagher who still has us singing Jimmy's Winning Matches after every game in Croke Park, has penned a brilliant poem that will have you pumped for the All-Ireland SFC final against Kerry in two weeks time. Simply click on the video above to […]