NAOMH CONAILL take on St Eunan’s in today’s county final under the lights in Ballybofey.
And after the county’s success in landing the Sam Maguire, it’s the turn of two parishes to go head-to-head for the Dr Maguire.
Naomh Conaill are, according to the bookies in Letterkenny at least, slight underdogs.
But this one really is too close to call. You might get better odds on a draw.
Whoever wins, the parish that lands a Dr Maguire in the same year as the Sam Maguire can celebrate something really special.
A huge crowd is expected at MacCumhaill Park at a time when gaelic games in the county have never had a higher profile.
Nothing beats being there, as the GAA slogan goes, but for the neutrals who can’t be in Ballybofey, the game is live on TG4 from throw-in at 4pm.
So will it be black and amber ribbons on the Cup tonight – or the blue and white of the men from Glenties, Fintown, Kilraine, Maas and the Glen?
After the most frantic Championship in the history of the county, captains Leo McLoone and Michael Martin will each be hoping to get their hands on the Dr Maguire Cup.
“St Eunan’s have some of the best players of the past decade so it’s going to be tough,” said Naomh Conaill’s Leo.
“It would mean so much for the parish to win; everyone is praying that we’ll do it.”
Said Eunan’s captain Michael: “It’s a huge honour to lead my club on a county final Sunday. We met at the start of the year and said we wanted to win the Championship.
“We’ve all put in a lot of hard work and it all comes down to Sunday now. It’s going to be a tough game.”
So we’re all set for 4pm as the County Champions of 2010, Naomh Conaill, face the County Champions of 2009.
More from Donegal Daily
- ST EUNAN’S COLLEGE CROWNED MacLARNON CUP CHAMPS AFTER DERBY WIN OVER INIS EOGHAIN ST EUNAN'S College lifted the MacLarnon Cup in an historic St Patrick's Day derby final against Coláistí Inis Eoghain in Armagh today.
The excellent Niall O'Donnell won a crucial penalty in the dying embers of the game before adding a point himself to see the Letterkenny college […]
- MONAGHAN WRECK DONEGAL’S ULSTER TREBLE HOPES IN CLONES WHO would have written this script? Who would have dreamt of such a scoreline? Donegal 0-7, Monaghan 0-13.
The shock defeat plunges Donegal into the qualifiers next weekend against Laois.
And on Sunday evening the bookies' pushed Donegal's odds of retaining the Sam Maguire out […]
- SHOCK AS DEAD CALF HAS TAGS REMOVED AND DUMPED AT ROADSIDE
People have been left shocked after a calf had its identity tags removed and was dumped at a roadside on the outskirts of Letterkenny.
The black and white Friesian calf was dumped at Kirkstown close to the Glencar Road around 5pm yesterday evening.
A person out walking made the […]
- HARPS HOPING TO SNATCH POINTS FROM LONGFORD
At the start of the season, Saturday night’s game would have been one that Finn Harps would have been pinpointing as one where three points could be obtained.
Both Harps and Longford go into the game sitting on four points each and Ollie Horgan will be hoping his side can add to […]
- GAELIC GAMES: KILLYBEGS GAA CLUB NEWS Na Cealla Beaga Club Notes 11/02/2013.
Ladies Training continues every Tuesday at 7.30pm in St Catherines Vocational Gym, new ladies/players always welcome (age 15 and older).
Club Registration Day is on Saturday the 16th of February from 4.00pm to 6.30pm in the Niall Mor […]
- ALL IRELAND FOOTBALL: JIM FIXED IT FOR DONEGAL
THE locks may be going a bit grey around the edges, but this has to be the highlight of Jimmy McGuinness's career as a manager.
Following in the footsteps of the great Brian McEniff, 'Our Jimmy' helped Donegal secure its second title in 20 years.
All roads now lead […]
- FULL TIME ALL-IRELAND FINAL – WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS MO CHARA!!
IT maybe for four days to Arthur's Day, but Sunday, September 23, 2012 will go down in the history of the GAA as 'Jimmy's Day'.
So let's raise a glass of the black stuff to Jimmy McGuinness who has nutured and trained his Donegal team into a fine group of true warriors […]
- STUDENTS TEACH DONEGAL A LESSON IN DR MCKENNA CUP SHOCK
DONEGAL were left shocked this afternoon as St Mary's produced the shock of the Dr McKenna Cup to defeat Rory Gallagher's side at O'Donnell Park.
In what was a drab affair in truth, Donegal struggled to breakdown a well organised and resolute St Mary's defence.
The Students […]
- COUNTY FINAL HALF-TIME – NAOMH CONAILL AHEAD IN NIP AND TUCK ENCOUNTER NAOMH CONAILL 0-6 ST EUNANS 0-4 It’s anybody’s county final as St Eunans and Naomh Conaill battle it out for the Dr Maguire Cup in Ballybofey.
The Glenties side have gone in ahead at the break but it’s an extremely close game.
The Letterkenny side have been on top for some spells […]
- ST EUNAN’S U-14s WIN ALL-IRELAND TITLE The St. Eunan's U14 Féile team landed their club's first All-Ireland title in Pairc Uí Rinn when they defeated Ahan Gaels (Cork) by 0-11 to 0-02 in the final.
After making it to the final last year, only to be denied by the width of a crossbar, the lads made no mistake as they played […]
- NEW YORK AND DONEGAL MOURNS DEATH OF JIMMY McGONAGLE THE DONEGAL GAA community at home and abroad is mourning the death earlier today of Jimmy McGonagle, a stalwart of the Donegal community in New York.
Just a few days ago Jimmy celebrated as Jim McGuinness and his Donegal All Stars brought Sam Maguire to the Big Apple.
It came 20 […]
- INCREDIBLE KEVIN MCHUGH SET TO MAKE 400TH CAREER APPEARANCE FOR FINN HARPS Kevin McHugh is set to play his 400th game in the blue and white of Finn Harps on Friday evening as he and his team-mates makes the trip to Athlone Town.
In doing so, 35 year old McHugh will become just the second player to reach the 400 mark for the club – only Jonathan Minnock has […]
- IT’S THE MICHAEL MURPHY SHOW AS GLENSWILLY CROWNED 2013 COUNTY CHAMPIONS
BREAKING NEWS: GLENSWILLY are 2013 Senior County Football Champions.
They easily saw off Killybegs in the final at MacCumhaill Park in Ballybofey this afternoon with their county stars - and in particular Michael Murphy - proving the massive difference.
Both Neil Gallagher and […]
- RORY GALLAGHER TO NOW HELP MAXI WIN MATCHES FOR THE DONEGAL U21’S Rory Gallagher has returned to County management to help Maxi Curran prepare the Donegal U21's for the 2014 Ulster Championship campaign.
Gallagher was assistant manager to Jim McGuinness from 2011 - 2013.
During that period the pair helped deliver two Ulster titles back to […]
- DONEGAL DEFEATED BY TYRONE IN DR MCKENNA CUP OPENER Donegal have been defeated in their first match of the Dr McKenna cup by Tyrone in an enjoyable game played in difficult conditions at O'Donnell Park.
Tyrone ran out eventual winners by three points on a scoreline of Donegal 1-07 Tyrone 0-13.
Donegal had led by three points at […]
- McGUINNESS – WE WERE NOT HUNGRY ENOUGH Jim McGuinness has admitted that his side were not hungry enough to win today’s crunch All-Ireland quarter final game.
And the Glenties man says Mayo could well go on to win the Sam Maguire in September.
But McGuinness stood by his players and said they don’t owe anybody […]
- DONEGAL IS ABOUT TO GET A LOT MORE COLOURFUL……..!
The 5K fun Color Run/Walk, also known as the Happiest 5k on the Planet, is coming to Donegal!
The event is a fun event for all ages, it is a unique colour run that celebrates healthiness, happiness, individuality, and giving back to the community.
It's about having the time of your […]
- McDAID RETURNED UNOPPOSED AS GLENSWILLY MANAGER Gary McDaid has been returned unopposed as the Glenswilly Senior team manager.
The secondary schoolteacher was elected at last night's AGM of the county champions at Foxhall.
In his comprehensive address to the club, McDaid admitted that when he sat down last January, he knew his […]
- GLENTIES APPEAL REJECTED AS FINAL GOES AHEAD THIS SUNDAY BETWEEN GLENSWILLY AND ST EUNANS Naomh Conail have failed in their bid to have their Senior Championship semi-final against Glenswilly brought to a replay.
The Glenties side had appealed the game to the county board in relation to the black carding of Ciaran Bonner in last Sunday’s semi-final at O’Donnell […]
- ST EUNAN’S AND GLENSWILLY BATTLE FOR BRAGGING RIGHTS AS COUNTY FINAL DAY ARRIVES
It’s the pairing that thousands of GAA fans across Donegal have been secretly hoping for.
When Glenswilly and St Eunan’s sprint out onto the field at MacCumhaill Park today, there will be no holding back from either side.
A huge crowd is expected at the Ballybofey venue for the […]