RUMOURS of his demise are greatly exaggerated.
And today, BBC NI had to apologise for saying one of the country’s leading guitarists had suddenly passed away.
The shock announcement by BBC NI of the death of the once Donegal-based guitarist Henry McCullough led to a feeding frenzy on Twitter.
It sparked a series of tweets among fans all expressing their deepest symapthy to the McCullough family on his sudden passing.
However, by lunch time it emerged that Henry McCullough, who often stayed in Ramelton, was not in fact dead at all.
It prompted BBC NI to remove the offending tweet, adding: “Apologies for the earlier incorrect tweet reporting the death of Wings guitarist Henry McCullough which we have no deleted.”
And former senior BBC NI editor Keith Baker, who has fond memories of the guitarist playing, later tweeted: “Henry McCullough story is an example to us all about jumping the gun on twitter.”
Former Wings guitarist Henry McCullough is alive but gravely ill after suffering a heart attack.
However, his sister has just told Radio Ulster host Wendy Austin – fond of trips to Ramelton herself, that the Portstewart-born guitarist is alive but seriously ill.
Henry spent many years in Co Donegal and was a frequent visitor until recently.
Said Rae Morrison: “He is a very special person.
“We really are very worried for him, his sister is on her way home from Florida and his brother is coming home from Glasgow.”
McCullough is one of the most famous guitarists in the world, performing with a host of legendary artists.
He was invited by the Beatle Paul McCartney to join Wings in the 1970s and spent 18 months touring with them.
Mr McCullough, who is 69, was also a member of Joe Cocker’s band.
He played with Cocker at the legendary Woodstock concert in 1969, the only Irishman to perform there.
McCullough spent 18 months touring and recording with Wings in the 1970s, after being invited to join the band following a number of jamming sessions with McCartney.
He has been hailed for his guitar work on the US number one hit My Love.
McCullough later signed to the Dark Horse record label of another Beatle, George Harrison, for his solo album Mind Your Own Business.
More from Donegal Daily
- MY DONEGAL WITH SONIA NIC GIOLLA EASBUIG Sonia Nic Giolla Easbuig is an award winning TV Producer/Director from Bunbeg, Gaoth Dobhair. Sonia runs LIGID Productions ltd and has offices in Donegal and County Down. LIGID is a TV production company specialising in Factual Documentaries and Short form Drama.
Sonia has been […]
- DANIEL: SO SAD TO HEAR OF PASSING OF SIR TERRY WOGAN
SINGER Daniel O'Donnell has paid tribute to veteran broadcaster Sir Terry Wogan.
Sir Terry died this morning at the age of 77 following a short but brave battle against the ravages of cancer.
Daniel said: "I was deeply saddened to hear this morning of the passing of Sir Terry […]
- VIDEO FOR DONEGAL ARTIST’S SONG NOMINATED FOR TOP EUROPEAN AWARD
A Ballyshannon musician's video has been short-listed among some of the world's biggest bands in a prestigious European Film Festival event for Best Music Video.
The name Sigur Ros will trip off the tongue of most music fans.
But when their video features a certain Irish actor […]
- BISHOP’S ANNOUNCEMENT: INISHOWEN PRIESTS ON THE MOVE
BISHOP of Derry Donal McKeown has announced clerical changes which will be effective from 21st August 2015.
A number of Inishowen-based priests are on the move.
The following is the full list of Diocesan changes:
Fr. Brian Brady, PP Errigal, to be PP Clonmany and […]
- PEOPLE WALK OUT OF MASS OVER PRIEST’S ‘GAY’ COMMENTS ABOUT DONEGAL GAA STAR
A NUMBER of people walked out of a Mass in protest at comments made by a priest during a sermon on gay marriage.
Father John Britto spoke out against gay marriage during a sermon in Annagry on Saturday night.
And he told the congregation that Gaoth Dobhair footballer Eamon […]
- APACHE PIZZA LETTERKENNY OFFER BEST 14″ PIZZA AND SIDES FOR €9.99 DD OFFER: Award-Winning Apache Pizza in Letterkenny is the BEST pizza in town - and at a price that's right.
The Irish-owned company has wonderful pizzerias around Ireland.
And their local outlet is on the Port Road.
Their mid-week offer is proving popular with customers.
- FAMILY ASK DPP TO REVIEW ROAD CRASH CASE WHICH LED TO DEATH OF TRAGIC PENSIONER
The family of a pensioner killed in a road crash have asked the Director of Public Prosecutions to review the case after a man appeared in court today.
Maura Porter was fatally injured as she walked home from Mass on December 30 last year close to her Co Donegal home.
It took […]
- SHANE MISSES OUT ON VOICE OF IRELAND BUT DOES DONEGAL PROUD
Donegal singer Shane McLaughlin done Donegal proud as he just missed out on being named RTE’s Voice of Ireland.
The Downings singer silenced the begrudgers once and for all with an amazing final performance.
He was eventually came third place behind Kelly Mongan and winner […]
- MAN STABBED BOY WITH SCISSORS AFTER HIS BIKE WAS STOLEN DURING ROW A man who had his bicycle stolen during an altercation with a number of youths returned to the incident and stabbed a 14 year old boy with a pair of scissors.
Vincent Doherty (45) appeared at Letterkenny Circuit Court charged with producing an article capable of causing serious […]
- MILD, LIGHT SHOWERS, SUNNY INTERVALS: THE DD WEDNESDAY WEATHER REPORT WITH THE MOUNT ERRIGAL HOTEL DONEGAL Daily Weather Report, in association with The Mount Errigal Hotel, Letterkenny, Tel 07491 22700.
Free Pint or Glass of Wine with all Josper Grill Main Courses today and every Wednesday.
Today's Donegal Daily Weather: Our lovely spell of weather will finally come to an end […]
- DANIEL HOPING HIS DANCE MOVES WILL BRING NORTH CLOSER TO PEACE!
Daniel O’Donnell's dance moves could help Northern Ireland come a step closer to peace.
The 53 year old Strictly star is urging both Catholics and Protestants to vote to keep him in the BBC show.
Daniel joked: “This might be the first time the Falls and the Shankill vote for […]
- ALL DONEGAL CHOIR HOPEFULS COULD BE SINGING FROM THE SAME HYMN-SHEET Have you ever looked longingly at those impressive massed choirs performing major works on television and thought to yourself ‘I’d love to do something like that’?
Maybe you’ve taken the trip to London to be part of ‘The Big Sing’ in the Royal Albert Hall like so many other Irish […]
- SUPER TURN-OUT FOR CARRIGANS 5K – ALL THE RESULTS AND PICTURES
More than 300 runners and walkers took part in today's St Johnston 5K.
The winner was the in-form Keith Shiels who was first home in a superb time of 15.152 followed closely by Matt Doherty in a time of 15.56.
The following is a list of all the finishers and their […]
- DD LOCAL: BBC HORTICULTURIST GARETH AUSTIN TO VISIT LIFFORD RESOURCE CENTRE Lifford Clonleigh Resource Centre
Belvoir Shirt Factory Reunion on Tuesday 5th August 2014.
Mass in the all saints Church, Newtowncunningham at 6.30pm. Group photo after Mass.
All welcome. Meal optional, reception in An Grianan Hotel, Burt at 8pm. Ticket €45 (Includes Photo and […]
- DANIEL TO VOTE ‘YES’ AS HE DECLARES ‘EVERYONE SHOULD BE EQUAL’ Daniel O’Donnell has revealed he will be voting Yes in next week's marriage equality referendum.
The Kincasslagh star said he believes that a Yes vote will not make life any different for those who advocate a No vote.
He said that “those who know what they’re talking about” are […]
- RTE APOLOGISES TO DONEGAL FILMMAKER RTE has apologised to Donegal filmmaker Neasa Ni Chianain over comments made on Radio Na Gealtachta about her film Fairytale of Kathmandu.
It said that the material broadcast in the course of this interview given by poet Paddy Bushe suggested Ms Ní Chianáin offered payment to a person […]
- TRAGIC ELAINE BEING BROUGHT BACK TO DONEGAL AFTER DROWNING TRAGEDY The body of tragic Ballintra woman Elaine Morrow is expected to be brought back to Donegal this weekend by her family.
Elaine, 23, died while on a diving trip in Australia on Monday week last, April 18th.
She was scuba-diving with friends at Langford Island of the Whitsunday […]
- BUNCRANA MURDER: FAMILY’S ANGER OVER TERROR GROUP’S CLAIMS THE FAMILY of Andy Allen, shot dead in Buncrana two weeks ago, have hit back at claims from the dissident terror group who killed him.
Earlier Republican Action Against Drugs said its "Donegal Unit" had "executed" Mr Allen for drug dealing.
However the dead man's uncle hit back at […]
- GARDAI APPEAL FOR BAR PATRONS TO COME FORWARD FOLLOWING TRAGIC DEAN’S DEATH Gardai have appealed to anybody who may have witnessed an incident in a Ballybofey bar the night before a young man died to contact them.
Dean Lafferty, 18, died at his home at Admiran Park on February 17th last.
The talented artist is believed to have been drinking in the bar […]
- TOWN IN SHOCK AT SUDDEN DEATH OF BEAUTIFUL TORY LETTERKENNY is in shock today after the sudden and unexplained death of a 17 year old Leaving Cert pupil.
Beautiful Tory Johnston collapsed at a local nightclub in Co Donegal in the early hours of yesterday.
Hours later she was pronounced dead at nearby Letterkenny General […]