RUMOURS of his demise are greatly exaggerated.
And today, BBC NI had to apologise for saying one of the country’s leading guitarists had suddenly passed away.
The shock announcement by BBC NI of the death of the once Donegal-based guitarist Henry McCullough led to a feeding frenzy on Twitter.
It sparked a series of tweets among fans all expressing their deepest symapthy to the McCullough family on his sudden passing.
However, by lunch time it emerged that Henry McCullough, who often stayed in Ramelton, was not in fact dead at all.
It prompted BBC NI to remove the offending tweet, adding: “Apologies for the earlier incorrect tweet reporting the death of Wings guitarist Henry McCullough which we have no deleted.”
And former senior BBC NI editor Keith Baker, who has fond memories of the guitarist playing, later tweeted: “Henry McCullough story is an example to us all about jumping the gun on twitter.”
Former Wings guitarist Henry McCullough is alive but gravely ill after suffering a heart attack.
However, his sister has just told Radio Ulster host Wendy Austin – fond of trips to Ramelton herself, that the Portstewart-born guitarist is alive but seriously ill.
Henry spent many years in Co Donegal and was a frequent visitor until recently.
Said Rae Morrison: “He is a very special person.
“We really are very worried for him, his sister is on her way home from Florida and his brother is coming home from Glasgow.”
McCullough is one of the most famous guitarists in the world, performing with a host of legendary artists.
He was invited by the Beatle Paul McCartney to join Wings in the 1970s and spent 18 months touring with them.
Mr McCullough, who is 69, was also a member of Joe Cocker’s band.
He played with Cocker at the legendary Woodstock concert in 1969, the only Irishman to perform there.
McCullough spent 18 months touring and recording with Wings in the 1970s, after being invited to join the band following a number of jamming sessions with McCartney.
He has been hailed for his guitar work on the US number one hit My Love.
McCullough later signed to the Dark Horse record label of another Beatle, George Harrison, for his solo album Mind Your Own Business.
More from Donegal Daily
- HOW NEWTOWNCUNNINGHAM COMMUNITY GIVES HOPE TO THE NORTH
THE people of Newtowncunningham are being held up as the way it should be - north of the border.
An offer from Naomh Colmcille GAA club to the Orange Order for the use of their club house for Orange meetings is making headlines.
The offer, and its warm reception from the local […]
- FAMILY OF DONEGAL TEEN SHOT BY LOYALISTS SUE BRITS OVER COLLUSION THE family of a County Donegal teenager murdered by loyalists has launched a legal action against the British security force members who helped the killers.
Henry Cunningham, 16, from Carndonagh, was killed in August 1973 when UVF gunmen ambushed the van he was travelling home from […]
- LORD OF THE RING 5 – LEONARD ‘SILVER BULLET’ WATSON HOPING TO GUN DOWN NIALL DOHERTY The eagerly anticipated Lord of the Ring 5 'The Rematch' is almost here and details of the match-ups have been announced.
Below are the fights on show tomorrow night at The Mount Errigal Hotel and there is some cracking fights on offer.
Marissa “Misty The […]
- EYEWITNESS TO BUNCRANA PIER TRAGEDY SAYS: I FELT HELPLESS AS CAR WENT NOSE DOWN INTO WATER
AN eyewitness to last night's Buncrana pier tragedy said he felt "helpless'' as the car containing five people plunged below the water line.
A two-month-old baby was rescued after it was apparently handed out a window of the car by the occupants to a man who swam to their […]
- UNIONIST USES BRITISH PARLIAMENT TO ACCUSE LETTERKENNY MAYOR OF MURDER THE MAYOR of Letterkenny Gerry McMonagle is said to be furious tonight after a DUP MP in the North used British parliamentary privilege to accuse him of murder.
The MP for Strangford Jim Shannon complained to the House of Commons in London that too many people suspected of IRA attacks […]
- MY DONEGAL WITH SONIA NIC GIOLLA EASBUIG Sonia Nic Giolla Easbuig is an award winning TV Producer/Director from Bunbeg, Gaoth Dobhair. Sonia runs LIGID Productions ltd and has offices in Donegal and County Down. LIGID is a TV production company specialising in Factual Documentaries and Short form Drama.
Sonia has been […]
- DANIEL: SO SAD TO HEAR OF PASSING OF SIR TERRY WOGAN
SINGER Daniel O'Donnell has paid tribute to veteran broadcaster Sir Terry Wogan.
Sir Terry died this morning at the age of 77 following a short but brave battle against the ravages of cancer.
Daniel said: "I was deeply saddened to hear this morning of the passing of Sir Terry […]
- VIDEO FOR DONEGAL ARTIST’S SONG NOMINATED FOR TOP EUROPEAN AWARD
A Ballyshannon musician's video has been short-listed among some of the world's biggest bands in a prestigious European Film Festival event for Best Music Video.
The name Sigur Ros will trip off the tongue of most music fans.
But when their video features a certain Irish actor […]
- SHOCK AS DEAD CALF HAS TAGS REMOVED AND DUMPED AT ROADSIDE
People have been left shocked after a calf had its identity tags removed and was dumped at a roadside on the outskirts of Letterkenny.
The black and white Friesian calf was dumped at Kirkstown close to the Glencar Road around 5pm yesterday evening.
A person out walking made the […]
- DONEGAL RALLY DOCUMENTARY ON BBC2 TONIGHT An Railí is a two part Irish Language documentary series which gets under the skin of the long standing International event, the Donegal Rally.
Starting this evening on BBC Two NI at 9pm, it follows the journey of the Rally from start to finish through the eyes of the drivers, […]
- PEOPLE WALK OUT OF MASS OVER PRIEST’S ‘GAY’ COMMENTS ABOUT DONEGAL GAA STAR
A NUMBER of people walked out of a Mass in protest at comments made by a priest during a sermon on gay marriage.
Father John Britto spoke out against gay marriage during a sermon in Annagry on Saturday night.
And he told the congregation that Gaoth Dobhair footballer Eamon […]
- BISHOP’S ANNOUNCEMENT: INISHOWEN PRIESTS ON THE MOVE
BISHOP of Derry Donal McKeown has announced clerical changes which will be effective from 21st August 2015.
A number of Inishowen-based priests are on the move.
The following is the full list of Diocesan changes:
Fr. Brian Brady, PP Errigal, to be PP Clonmany and […]
- OUT OF THIS WORLD! WORLD FAMOUS ASTRONAUT TWEETS ABOUT DONEGAL TOY COMPANY!
FEATURES: One of the world's most famous astronauts has tweeted about a Donegal Toy company that seen one of its products being sent into space!
Canadian Astronaut Chris Hadfield has sent a message of public support for Donegal based start-up, Lottie Dolls.
The Stargazer Lottie […]
- APACHE PIZZA LETTERKENNY OFFER BEST 14″ PIZZA AND SIDES FOR €9.99 DD OFFER: Award-Winning Apache Pizza in Letterkenny is the BEST pizza in town - and at a price that's right.
The Irish-owned company has wonderful pizzerias around Ireland.
And their local outlet is on the Port Road.
Their mid-week offer is proving popular with customers.
- DONEGAL’S AMAZING SPITFIRE STORY FINALLY COMES TO OUR SCREENS The amazing story of a WW2 spitfire ditched in a bog in Inishowen will be told on BBC One television next Monday.
The story is part of a three part series ‘Dig WW2 with Dan Snow’ which investigates the history of the second world war.
And the story of Bud Wolfe, the American pilot […]
- GALLAGHER: WE MISSED A LOT OF CHANCES BUT MONAGHAN WERE THE BETTER TEAM
DONEGAL manager Rory Gallagher faced the television cameras after his team's one point defeat to Monaghan clearly disappointed at the result.
Gracious in defeat and full of praise for Monaghan, Gallagher also said his team missed a lot of chances - 16 wides in total - that his […]
- PAISLEY: ‘I TRUST TONY BLAIR BECAUSE OF HIS PROTESTANT ORANGE ORDER DONEGAL GRANDAD’
IAN Paisley has spoken of how he came to trust former British Prime Minister Tony Blair - because he was descended from Ulster Protestants.
Dr Paisley was speaking during a BBC NI documentary broadcast on Monday night which has led to bitter recriminations with the former First […]
- ACTOR RICHARD E GRANT AT FANAD LIGHTHOUSE AND SLIABH LIAG TO PROMOTE DONEGAL TOURISM
Tourism Ireland has teamed up with actor Richard E Grant and Smooth Radio, the third largest radio brand in Britain, in a new promotion to showcase Donegal and Ireland to British holidaymakers this year.
Tourism Ireland is working with Smooth Radio to produce a series of short […]
- FAMILY OF MAN IN LOUGH SWILLY RESCUE SLAM MALIN HEAD CLOSURE PROPOSAL The family of a man whose life was saved in Lough Swilly at the weekend believe people will die if the coastguard station that helped in his rescue is closed.
Patrick McNamee, 22, from Letterkenny, was swept a mile and a half out to sea and was drifting unconscious, as […]
- MAN CHARGED WITH CAUSING DEATH BY DANGEROUS DRIVING OF DONEGAL TEENAGER SHANE
A MAN has been charged with causing death by dangerous driving of a Co Donegal teenager.
Shane Patton, who was 18, lost his fight for life following a two car collision outside the N13 Service Station in Drumkeen on Wednesday, July 12, 2012.
The incident occurred at around […]