Exclusive: A formal investigation into allegations that Senator Brian O Domhnaill over-claimed for expenses while a Donegal County Councillor is to be carried out, Donegal Daily can reveal.
We have learned the Standards in Public Office Commission has decided to investigate the claims sent in an anonymous letter against the Donegal public representative.
It follows an informal investigation by SIPOC investigating officer Paddy Walsh.
Mr Walsh has now officially sent his findings to his senior officers at the commission office and recommended a formal investigation be carried out.
On November 12th, he officially recommended that a full, formal investigation be carried out.
A number of senior Donegal County Council officials including County Manager Seamus Neely have been made aware of the formal hearing.
Commission Secretary David Waddell has contacted officials by letter to inform them of the investigation.
The hearing is to be held at the Standards in Public Office Commission offices in Leeson Street.
A date for the hearing has yet to be set.
Senator O Domhnaill has claimed in the past that he is the victim of a political smear campaign.
More from Donegal Daily
- EXPERT PANEL ON DEFECTIVE DONEGAL BLOCKS FINALISED
An expert panel to investigate defective building blocks across Donegal has been finalised and will press ahead with their work.
Minister Joe McHugh TD welcomed news from the Minister of State at the Department of the Environment, Community and Local Government, Paudie Coffey, the […]
- DONEGAL SENATOR ASKS HIGH COURT TO HALT INVESTIGATION INTO HIS EXPENSES Donegal Senator Brian Ó Domhnaill has asked the High Court to halt an investigation into his expenses.
The Standards in Public Office Commission was due to continue its investigation into alleged duplication of expenses claims.
The action relates to an investigation concerning […]
- DONEGAL INVESTMENT BANKERS AT CENTRE OF TAX PROBE ‘RETIRE’
FOUR men behind a busted Donegal property development have 'retired' after being at the centre of a tax probe.
Accountancy firm KPMG said late last night four senior Belfast partners have left the company.
It said the executives, who are currently being investigated by the […]
- CLLR DAVID ALCORN CLEARED IN EXPENSES INVESTIGATION
FIANNA Fail county councillor David Alcorn has been cleared of any expenses irregularities by the Standards In Public Office Commission.
Cllr Alcorn released a statement today confirming the investigation has now ended but he expressed his anger at the time it took to clear his […]
- SENATOR MUST PAY COSTS OF HIS FAILED LEGAL CHALLENGE OVER EXPENSES CASE Senator Brian Ó Domhnaill must pay the costs of his failed legal challenge to an investigation by the Standards in Public Office Commission into alleged duplication of expenses claims.
The three-judge Court of Appeal ruled today that the Senator had advanced no grounds entitling […]
- SENATOR O DOMHNAILL SAYS EXPENSES WERE USED TO CARRY OUT HIS DUTIES Senator Brian O Domhnaill has reacted to claims that he has paid back €3,434 to the Oireachtas for wrongly-claimed expenses.
The Fianna Fail politician issued a statement this afternoon on the matter.
The Gortahork public representative said the Vouched Public Representation […]
- GOVT ROWING BACK ON DISASTROUS DECISION TO ABOLISH TOWN COUNCILS – O DOMHNAILL Donegal Senator Brian Ó Domhnaill has called on the Government to restore local democracy in towns across Ireland by creating a new balanced town council system.
He was responding to Fianna Fáil Parliamentary Questions which reveal that a new group has been established to review […]
- APPROVAL MUST BE GIVEN TO PROCEED WITH GAOTH DOBHAIR SEWERAGE SCHEME – O DOMHNAILL Donegal South West Senator Brian Ó Domhnaill has called on the Minister for the Environment, Community & Local Government, Phil Hogan TD, to give approval for Donegal County Council to seek tenders for the construction of the Gweedore Sewerage Scheme.
Senator Ó Domhnaill said: “I […]
- PROGRESS CONFIRMED ON NEW STRANORLAR SCHOOL PROJECT An architectural design team will be appointed for a new school project in Stranorlar in the coming weeks.
Local Senator Brian Ó Domhnaill has received confirmation from the Secretary General at the Department of Education the work will commence by Easter.
The Donegal Senator […]
- NAMA WARNS O DOMHNAILL TO WITHDRAW CLAIMS OR FACE THE CONSEQUENCES NAMA has written to Fianna Fail Senator Brian O Domhnaill calling on him to "immediately substantiate or withdraw" serious allegations he made about the agency.
The letter was sent by Nama's head of relationship management Martin Whelan to Senator O Domhnaill, who had raised […]
- WATER PIPES IN GAOTH DOBHAIR OVERDUE REPLACEMENT – O DOMHNAILL Donegal Senator Brian Ó Domhnaill has criticised the Minister for the Environment Phil Hogan for not approving the necessary funding to replace the water pipe network from Derrybeg to Glassagh in Gaoth Dobhair.
The Fianna Fáil Senator said, “I have raised this issue a number of times […]
- SENATOR’S FEARS FOR FARMERS AS FODDER CRISIS CONTINUES Fianna Fáil Seanad Spokesperson on Agriculture Brian Ó Domhnaill has called for an immediate extension to the Fodder importation scheme along with a special relief fund to help distressed farmers across the North West and around the country.
Senator Ó Domhnaill said: “There is an […]
- O DOMHNAILL SLAMS PLANS TO CUT GARDA NUMBERS AMIDST ‘CRIME WAVE’ IN DONEGAL Senator Brian Ó Domhnaill has hit out at the Minister for Justice Alan Shatter for what he describes as a ‘slash and burn’ of garda resources in Donegal.
According to Senator Ó Domhnaill, it defies logic to dramatically reduce garda numbers this year and shut down local garda stations […]
- O DOMHNAILL BACKING PLANS TO REVIVE TOWN CENTRES Donegal Senator Brian O Domhnaill is backing a Fianna Fail plan to revive town centres across the country.
Ó Domhnaill said the plan aims to tackle exorbitant rates & rents and bring people back into towns
The Bill establishes a Town Team in each local authority to implement a […]
- GOVERNMENT NEEDS TO EXPLAIN ‘SECRECY’ AROUND IRISH WATER CONTRACTS – O DOMHNAILL Fianna Fáil Senator Brian Ó Domhnaill has challenged the Government to be more transparent in relation to its water metering programme with Irish Water.
Senator Ó Domhnaill raised the issue with the Environment Minister on the floor of Seanad Éireann during an adjournment debate last […]
- SENATOR BRIAN O DOMHNAILL LEFT HOSPITALISED AFTER ROW OVER A BAG OF CHIPS A row over a bag of chips led to Fianna Fail Senator Brian O Domhnaill being hospitalised after he was attacked on a bus.
The politician was one of a number of passengers on a late night bus leaving off passengers around West Donegal.
However a row broke out on the bus leaving […]
- SENATOR BRIAN O DOMHNAILL WARMS UP FOR WEDDING WITH 10 MILE WALK! Donegal Senator Brian O Domhnaill made sure in was in great shape to walk down the aisle today.
The Falcarragh politician ties the knot in Dublin with partner Beth Croucher.
And the Fianna Fail man, 38, knew the perfect way to start the day - by doing a 10 mile walk.
- MAN THREATENED SENATOR IN MINI-BUS BUST-UP A man who threatened Fianna Fail Senator Brian O Domhnaill during a late night bust-up on a mini-bus has been ordered to pay €5,000 to charity.
Jimmy Sharkey pleaded guilty to using threatening and abusive behaviour against Senator O Domhnaill.
Other charges of actual assault […]
- EQUAL CAP PROGRAMME VITAL FOR DONEGAL FARMERS – MEETING TOLD Fianna Fáil Seanad Spokesperson on Agriculture, Senator Brian Ó Domhnaill, says a fully funded and equal CAP programme is essential for Donegal farmers.
Senator Ó Domhnaill was speaking after a sizeable meeting on CAP reform was held in Dunfanaghy, Donegal last night, attended by […]
- UPDATED: GARDAI SEAL OFF HOUSE AFTER BODY FOUND UPDATED: GARDAI last night sealed off a house in Dungloe after a man's body was found there, donegaldaily.com has learned.
Sources say it is too early to speculate as to what caused the man's death but we understand crime scene forensic officers will return to the scene at first […]