A CO DONEGAL man with the worst criminal record in Irish and British judicial history is back behind bars.
Eamon Edward John Lynch, 39, from Glentrain in Letterkenny, was jailed at Derry Crown Court.
He now has an astonishing 472 previous criminal convictions.
His latest offences involved a series of road traffic incidents Derry in 2010.
It took the father of eight’s road traffic convictions now stand at 297.
He also has previous multiple convictions for burglary, assault, forgery and drugs offences.
Judge Piers Grant said Lynch’s record was “appalling” and contained the most significant number of convictions ever to come before him.
The court was told Lynch was seen driving a car near Foyle Park which struck two parked cars, two years ago.
The owner of one of the cars recognised him. Lynch ran off and was later seen walking across Craigavon Bridge by the police.
As they approached him, he threw a set of keys into the River Foyle.
He was arrested and when breathalysed was found to be more than twice the legal limit. At the time he had been disqualified from driving until 2023.
The court was told Lynch absconded and moved back to Donegal last year where he committed seven further road traffic offences.
Judge Grant imposed a 28-month jail sentence and told Lynch he would serve 14 months in custody and would be on licence for the other 14 months.
More from Donegal Daily
- MAN CHARGED WITH CAUSING DEATH BY DANGEROUS DRIVING OF DONEGAL TEENAGER SHANE
A MAN has been charged with causing death by dangerous driving of a Co Donegal teenager.
Shane Patton, who was 18, lost his fight for life following a two car collision outside the N13 Service Station in Drumkeen on Wednesday, July 12, 2012.
The incident occurred at around […]
- FORMER GARDA SERGEANT GRIPPED STEERING WHEEL AFTER SUSPECTED DRUNK-DRIVING INCIDENT A former Garda Sergeant gripped his steering wheel and refused to get out of his car when stopped for suspected drunk-driving.
A special sitting of Letterkenny District Court yesterday heard how it took three Gardai to get Jack Conaty out of his car.
The court heard how Conaty, a […]
- DONEGAL GARDA HAS DRINK-DRIVING CRASH CASE ADJOURNED A Garda who is originally from Co Donegal has had a case of drink-driving and dangerous driving against him adjourned.
Kevin McLaughlin, 29, was remanded on continuing bail to appear again at Carrickmacross District Court on June 8th next.
McLaughlin, from Gartan, Churchill, is […]
- MAN WHO BIT GARDA DURING ARREST ORDERED TO PAY €3,000 TO GARDA FUND A man who bit and assaulted a Gardai as he was being arrested for tampering with his former partner’s car has received a suspended jail sentence and ordered to pay €3,000 to the Garda Benevolent Fund.
Garda responded to a call after hearing that Ricardo Evangelista had put sugar into […]
- CO DONEGAL MAN HAS 465 CRIMINAL CONVICTIONS, COURT HEARS
A CO DONEGAL man with 465 previous criminal convictions has been remanded in custody - accused of destroying an electronic tag he was supposed to wear while out on bail
Eamon Edward John Lynch (39) from Glentrain in Letterkenny is charged with stealing and destroying electronic […]
- ‘WATER WARRIOR’ GUILTY ON TAOISEACH INCIDENT TELLS JUDGE: ‘I’LL GO TO JAIL’
A KILLYBEGS man who jumped over a barrier to shout at Taoiseach Enda Kenny during last year's MacGill Summer School has been found guilty of using threatening or abuse behaviour.
Painter Jerry Bray, 45, of Church Road, Killybegs had denied a charge of threatening and insulting […]
- MAN ON COCAINE HAUL CHARGES IS GIVEN BAIL TO RETURN TO DONEGAL BY JOHN COONEY in Monaghan: A CO Donegal man allegedly caught with cocaine with a street value estimated at €12,500 has been released from custody today on bail.
Damian Alcorn, who is 33, was arrested at the weekend by Traffic Corps Gardaí at Emyvale, Co Monaghan, just as he was about […]
- DONEGAL MAN GOES ON TRIAL FOR SEX ASSAULTS A 55 year old Donegal man has gone on trial charged with indecently assaulting a young boy.
Hugh ‘Jock’ McDaniel pleaded not guilty to all five charges which are alleged to have happened at different locations in Inishowen in 1979.
McDaniel, of 40 Abbotswood, Carndonagh denies all […]
- HEROIN ON INCREASE ON WEEKLY BASIS SAYS DRUG DEALER A drug dealer who was caught dealing heroin on the streets of Letterkenny has said the use of the drug is on the increase locally every week.
Bernard Alcorn, 29, of 110 Meadowbank Park, Letterkenny was caught by the Garda drugs squad with three deals of heroin and €260 in cash at […]
- MAN WAS ISSUED WITH SPEEDING SUMMONS DAYS AFTER HE SOLD HIS CAR
COURTS: A man issued with a speeding summons claimed he didn't pay the fine because he didn't own the car at the time the speeding offence occurred.
Joseph Kerr, with an address at Glebe, Ballyae, Ramelton said he had sold the car a few days prior to when the speeding offence […]
- MOTHER OF DAUGHTER KILLED BY RECKLESS DRIVING MAKES HEARTFELT PLEA TO THE COURT A mother whose daughter was killed by reckless and dangerous driving has pleaded with a judge not to restore the driving license of the man responsible for her daughter's death.
Mary McGlanaghey from Donegal Town read a letter to Letterkenny Circuit Court this morning pleading […]
- DONEGAL MAN SLASHED ‘FROM EAR TO MOUTH’ IN VICIOUS ATTACK A CO DONEGAL man was slashed from his ear to his mouth in a vicious knife attack, a court has heard.
The victim was was slashed across the face in a suspected knife attack after making offensive remarks to women, the High Court in Belfast has been told.
He underwent surgery for the […]
- MAN CHARGED WITH SELLING DRUGS TO KIDS TOLD TRADE IS ‘CANCER ON SOCIETY’ A Judge has described the drugs trade as a 'cancer on society' as a Milford man appeared in court charged with supplying drugs to children.
Lee Kennedy, 25, was caught by Gardai in a sting operation selling drugs out of his car to sixteen year olds.
After receiving a tip-off […]
- DONEGAL DAD WHO PREYED ON GIRLS DURING SLEEPOVERS LOSES APPEAL The Court of Criminal Appeal has dismissed a Donegal man's appeal against his conviction for sexually abusing three young girls in his daughter's bed while they were on sleepovers at his house.
Martin McCurdy, 45, was jailed for seven and a half years by Mr Justice Patrick McCarthy […]
- REVEALED: ILLEGAL DUMPER HASN’T PAID €12,000 FINE A BINMAN caught on camera illegally dumping in Co Donegal still hasn't paid his €12,000 fine - more than a year after his conviction, a court has heard.
Jim Ferry, of Rossbracken, Manorcunningham, but originally from Falcarragh, contested 12 charges but was found guilty after a three […]
- JUDGE SAID HE FOUND IT HARD TO BELIEVE €1,500 OF DRUGS WAS FOR PERSONAL USE Two Donegal brothers have been found guilty after being caught by Gardai with more than €1,500 of drugs in a car in Letterkenny.
Wayne and John Paul McLaughlin appeared at Letterkenny District Court after a probation report was compiled on both men.
The men had been arrested by […]
- TEACHER JAILED FOR FATAL CAR CRASH HAS SENTENCE REDUCED TO COMMUNITY SERVICE A Donegal teacher whose careless driving caused the death of a 34-year-old mother of two has had his 12 month prison sentence suspended on appeal.
Declan O'Donnell, who is 28 and from Whitehills, Churchill had pleaded guilty at Monaghan Circuit Criminal Court last month to careless […]
- MAN JAILED AFTER RAMMING GARDAI WHILE HIGH ON DRUGS
A man who rammed a Garda patrol car when driving on a cocktail of alcohol and drugs has been sentenced to 23 months in prison.
John Sweeney had the last six months of the sentence suspended at Letterkenny District Court after pleading guilty to up to 30 offences.
The court […]
- GARDA KILLER FAILS IN SENTENCE APPEAL HEARING – HANDOVER SET FOR FRIDAY
GARDA killer Martin McDermott today failed in his appeal against a four-month prison sentence for attacking PSNI officers when he was re-arrested after his prison escape.
Martin McDermott escaped from the low-security Loughan House open prison in County Cavan on March 15.
He was […]
- DAD OF MISSING LIFFORD MAN DENIES HIS SON IS IN HIDING The heartbroken father of a missing man has denied malicious rumours that his son is in hiding.
Tragic David Colhoun has been missing for almost six weeks after last being seen trying to cross a river to his home in Co Donegal.
The 22 year old had been arrested by police in Co […]