DDTV: STUDENTS staged a noisy march through the centre of Letterkenny today, protesting at cuts in education.
Students handed in a thousand letters of protest to TD Joe McHugh’s offices on the main street.
Aidan O’Gallachoir claimed some students were being forced to live in their cars because they can’t afford rents.
Our earlier report is here:
Click play on the video to watch the student march.
More from Donegal Daily
- ARRANMORE ISLAND TO GET ITS OWN AMBULANCE SERVICE Islanders on Arranmore are to get their own ambulance service in time for Christmas. Fine Gael Minister of State Joe McHugh TD, “Following a conversation with the Office of the Department of Health this afternoon, I wish to confirm that Aranmore will receive an ambulance later this […]
- DDTV: MARCHING TO MASS IN ANNAGRY ON THIS BRIGHT EASTER MORN DDTV: Thanks to Martin Crawford who took this lovely video in Annagry today as the Mullaghduff band led a musical march to Mass. Click to play and enjoy.
- DDTV: SEE HUGE TURN-OUT AT ‘SAVE OUR HOSPITALS’ MARCH UP to 2,000 people people marched through the Twin Towns today to protest at planned reductions in beds at three community hospitals. Services in Lifford, Stranorlar and Ramelton are being moved to a new purpose-built facility in Letterkenny in 18 months time. Those communities […]
- DONEGAL TD DISMISSES RESIGNATION LETTER MOVE AS A STUNT A protest group wants Fine Gael TD Joe McHugh to sign his own resignation letter and send it to Taoiseach Enda Kenny. Donegal Action Against Austerity are to make the bizarre request when they hold a protest outside Deputy McHugh's office in Letterkenny today. But Deputy McHugh […]
- JOE McHUGH’S OFFICE TARGETED BY SNA CAMPAIGNERS Deputy Joe McHugh’s office was the target of protesters in Letterkenny this morning. People campaigning against cuts for Special Needs Assistants placed a number of posters on the shutters of the Fine Gael TD’s office at Lower Main Street before it opened. One of the posters […]
- GARDAI AT SCENE OF LETTERKENNY CRASH Gardai are this evening at the scene of a crash in the Gortnacorrib area of Letterkenny near Glencar. Locals reports say a person out walking noticed a car had left the road just after 9.30pm. It is understood a woman was trapped in the car. An ambulance is at the scene and […]
- DDTV: INCREDIBLE VOICE OF DONEGAL TEENAGER WE all know lots of people in Donegal who can sing - but is there anyone quite like Farah Tianihad? The 4th year student at the PCC in Falcarragh is causing something of a stir on YouTube. From Cloch Cheann Fhaola, she is one of a number of people competing for a […]
- ANGER AS ANTI-AUSTERITY PROTESTORS ATTACK SCHOOLBOY A TEENAGE schoolboy has spoken of how he was left terrified by anti-austerity campaigners - because he was doing work experience with Fine Gael TD Joe McHugh. The Transition Year pupil, who is 16, said he was left shaken as he left the politician's office last night. "I put […]
- NO-ONE HURT IN LIFFORD ROAD CRASH A NUMBER of cars have been damaged after a crash at Murlog on the outskirts if Lifford this afternoon. Gardai and ambulance crews attended the scene and a number of people were treated for shock. Gardai say no-one was injured and an investigation into the cause of the multi-vehicle […]
- LYIT STUDENTS MARCH AGAINST PROPOSED CUTS The students of LYIT today took part in a protest march through Letterkenny this afternoon to vent their anger and dismay about potential cuts to third-level education in the upcoming budget. There has been a huge amount of controversy in recent weeks regarding the delays in […]
- DDTV: DEPUTY MacLOCHLAINN ADRESSES DÁIL ÉIREANN ON DONEGAL HEALTH CUTS SINN Fein's Donegal North East TD Padraig MacLochlainn has spoken in Dáil Éireann about the health crisis facing Donegal. You can watch what he said last night on this video by clicking on the play icon.
- PROTESTERS SURROUND DEPUTY MCHUGH’S OFFICE Four Gardai were on standby last night as protesters surrounded Deputy Joe McHugh's office in Buncrana last night. Members of the Donegal Action Against Austerity supported by Can't Pay Won't Pay made their voices known as they protested about austerity measures. The protest […]
- DDTV VIDEO: WATCH DONEGAL TEAM ON THE LATE LATE SHOW AGAIN HERE MISSED the Late Late Show because you were still partying? Not to worry - you can watch the Donegal team's appearance on the Late Late Show here. Just click to play.
- CUTS TO DONEGAL HEALTH SERVICE: THE REPORT IN FULL CUTS TO DONEGAL HEALTH SERVICE: THE REPORT IN FULL. The full HSE West report issued today is lengthy and detailed. Lifford is under threat; Glenties will get a new primary medical care centre and two centres in Ballyshannon will merge. Click on the link below to read the report […]
- DELIGHT AS CLEARY CENTRE GETS A NEW BUILDING IN DONEGAL TOWN HSE Donegal Community Services have announced that HSE National Estates office have given approval to lease the 'Victor building' Donegal Town as alternative accommodation for the service users of the Cleary Centre. The fire certification application by the landlord has been approved […]
- DDTV: RTE NEWS REPORT ON DONEGAL CAMPAIGNERS WALK TO DUBLIN THE Donegal Action Against Austerity walk to Dublin has reached its half-way point and is due to arrive in the capital on March 31st. The walk featured on Tuesday's RTE News. You can watch Eileen Magnier's report here by clicking play.
- UPROAR AS GARDAI PHOTOGRAPH PROTESTERS BURNING HOUSEHOLD CHARGE LETTERS BREAKING NEWS: Protestors have burned more than 40 household demand letters outside the offices of Junior Minister Dinny McGinley in Co Donegal this morning. More than a dozen protesters gathered outside Deputy McGinley’s office in Gaoth Dobhair. The group, members of the Can’t Pay […]
- RESIDENTS BLOCK IRISH WATER CONTRACTORS AS TENSIONS CONTINUE VILLAGERS have parked cars and blocked entry points for water meter installers today. On the second day of protests in Drumkeen, residents last night met to plan their strategy for today. The work crews arrive at 7am, some of them driving English-registered private […]
- DDTV: WATCH AS JASON QUIGLEY GETS A GOOD GRILLING FROM RAPHOE YOUNGTERS! Professional boxer Jason Quigley was back on home soil to officially open the new extension at Raphoe Boxing Club. Jason took time out to cut the tape, pay tribute to all this involved in Raphoe ABC and to answer some sticky questions from some young interviewers. Simply click […]
- PUBLIC RALLY AGAINST BUDGET TO BE HELD IN LETTERKENNY TOMORROW Members of the public across Donegal are being urged to attend a public protest aganst the budget which is being held in Letterkenny tomorrow. Those annoyed by the budget and other cuts are asked to assemble at Station Roundabout at 2pm for a walk to Market Square where there will be […]