DDTV: STUDENTS staged a noisy march through the centre of Letterkenny today, protesting at cuts in education.
Students handed in a thousand letters of protest to TD Joe McHugh’s offices on the main street.
Aidan O’Gallachoir claimed some students were being forced to live in their cars because they can’t afford rents.
Our earlier report is here:
Click play on the video to watch the student march.
More from Donegal Daily
- ARRANMORE ISLAND TO GET ITS OWN AMBULANCE SERVICE Islanders on Arranmore are to get their own ambulance service in time for Christmas. Fine Gael Minister of State Joe McHugh TD, “Following a conversation with the Office of the Department of Health this afternoon, I wish to confirm that Aranmore will receive an ambulance later this […]
- JOE McHUGH’S OFFICE TARGETED BY SNA CAMPAIGNERS Deputy Joe McHugh’s office was the target of protesters in Letterkenny this morning. People campaigning against cuts for Special Needs Assistants placed a number of posters on the shutters of the Fine Gael TD’s office at Lower Main Street before it opened. One of the posters […]
- DDTV: INCREDIBLE VOICE OF DONEGAL TEENAGER WE all know lots of people in Donegal who can sing - but is there anyone quite like Farah Tianihad? The 4th year student at the PCC in Falcarragh is causing something of a stir on YouTube. From Cloch Cheann Fhaola, she is one of a number of people competing for a […]
- LYIT STUDENTS MARCH AGAINST PROPOSED CUTS The students of LYIT today took part in a protest march through Letterkenny this afternoon to vent their anger and dismay about potential cuts to third-level education in the upcoming budget. There has been a huge amount of controversy in recent weeks regarding the delays in […]
- DELIGHT AS CLEARY CENTRE GETS A NEW BUILDING IN DONEGAL TOWN HSE Donegal Community Services have announced that HSE National Estates office have given approval to lease the 'Victor building' Donegal Town as alternative accommodation for the service users of the Cleary Centre. The fire certification application by the landlord has been approved […]
- PROTESTERS SURROUND DEPUTY MCHUGH’S OFFICE Four Gardai were on standby last night as protesters surrounded Deputy Joe McHugh's office in Buncrana last night. Members of the Donegal Action Against Austerity supported by Can't Pay Won't Pay made their voices known as they protested about austerity measures. The protest […]
- DDTV: WATCH AS JASON QUIGLEY GETS A GOOD GRILLING FROM RAPHOE YOUNGTERS! Professional boxer Jason Quigley was back on home soil to officially open the new extension at Raphoe Boxing Club. Jason took time out to cut the tape, pay tribute to all this involved in Raphoe ABC and to answer some sticky questions from some young interviewers. Simply click […]
- DONEGAL WATER WARRIORS PICKET FINE GAEL T.D.’s OFFICE Anti-water charge protestors have picketed Joe McHugh's office in their latest demonstration against water charges. The group have been a vocal opponent of the charges from the start and show signs of letting up against a tax they feel is both immoral and unjust. A dozen anti-water […]
- DDTV: WATCH REACTION TO THE NEWS OF 330 NEW JOBS AT PRAMERICA DDTV: The jobs sector in Donegal was given a tremendous boost today following the announcement of expansion plans at Pramerica. The new expansion will create 330 jobs over the next three years and the company will also move to a state-of-the-art new […]
- MINISTER HOGAN SLASHES €4M FROM COUNCIL BUDGET OVER HOUSEHOLD TAX A PROTEST was held outside Donegal County Council offices by Can't Pay, Won't Pay campaigners today as Environment Minister Phil Hogan slashed €4M from the council's budget. The cut reflects the failure of thousands of people to pay the Household Charge. Councillors were told in a […]
- DDTV: COLÁISTE AILIGH STUDENTS DO RIVERDANCE! DDTV: You've seen the documentary; you may even have seen the show live. Now watch Riverdance - Coláiste Ailigh style. The Letterkenny students were performing at their Christmas show at An Grianan on December 12, 2013. The girls are flawless (in fact they're […]
- 500 PEOPLE ATTEND ANTI-AUSTERITY RALLY MORE THAN 500 people attended a rally in Letterkenny today in protest at cuts in last week's budget. “The introduction of a tax on the family home with cuts in child benefit will cause hardship to many,” said Can't Pay, Won't Pay spokesperson Francis McCafferty. “These are huge […]
- DELIGHT AS €3 MILLION ANNOUNCED FOR NEW BUNCRANA BRIDGE The end appears to be in sight for one of Donegal's most dangerous road crossings after €3M was announced for a new bridge in Buncrana. The funding for the new Cockhill Bridge was announced by Minister Joe McHugh this morning. It is now anticipated that work will start almost […]
- HOUSEHOLD CHARGE DEADLINE – JUST 25% OF DONEGAL PEOPLE HAVE PAID With just one day left before the deadline for payment of the €100 household charge, it has been estimated that just 25% of Donegal people eligible to pay have done so. The level of payment is considerably lower than the national average which is estimated to be 37%. The low level […]
- IT’S (NEARLY) OVER! CHRISTMAS TREE RECYCLING CENTRES REVEALED GET ready to recycle those Christmas trees! Trees can be dropped off at six council recycling centres at Carndonagh, Laghey, Dungloe, Letterkenny, Milford and Stranorlar during opening hours between now and January 31. Trees can also be left at a number of other major towns not […]
- DDTV: WATCH DONEGAL PRIEST PERFORM IN HILARIOUS WATER PROTEST VIDEO DDTV: Fr. Brian O'Fearraigh has showed his wide range of talents aren't confined to the altar, by performing in a ballad written about the impending water charges being imposed by the current government. The charges have been strongly opposed by thousands of Irish […]
- PARENTS SET TO TAKE TO THE STREETS OVER SNA CUTS AS DONEGAL TD DEMANDS ACTION The Special Needs Parents Association is calling all parents to attend demonstrations on Wednesday at Market Square in Letterkenny as a local TD called on government representatives to oppose cuts. Fianna Fáil Spokesperson on Education Charlie McConalogue is calling on the government […]
- MAN WHO BIT GARDA DURING ARREST ORDERED TO PAY €3,000 TO GARDA FUND A man who bit and assaulted a Gardai as he was being arrested for tampering with his former partner’s car has received a suspended jail sentence and ordered to pay €3,000 to the Garda Benevolent Fund. Garda responded to a call after hearing that Ricardo Evangelista had put sugar into […]
- DOHERTY’S ANGER AS TAOISEACH SAYS HIS €185,000 SALARY HAS BEEN ‘CUT TO THE BONE’ Sinn Féin Spokesperson on Finance Pearse Doherty has criticised comments made today by the Taoiseach justifying his salary of €185,000. Deputy Doherty said: “It is almost laughable the Taoiseach made these outrageous comments on the same day as the Low Pay Commission was set […]
- DOHERTY: GOVERNMENT NOT CREDIBLE ON IRBC STANCE Sinn Féín Finance spokesperson Pearse Doherty has said government claims that it only became aware of problems with the IBRC Commission of Investigation are not credible. Deputy Doherty said a journalist from the Times online wrote about this issue in September and put these […]