The Four Masters man had surgery on his hip yesterday and surgeons say it will be 12 weeks before he is able to train fully again.
Lacey, the GAA’s Footballer of the Year, was due to be in Dublin tonight for The RTE Sports Awards.
The bank official was nominated in the overall Person of the Year Award.
However his surgeon advised against Karl making the journey to Dublin.
More from Donegal Daily
- LACEY AND GALLAGHER NOT IN DONEGAL’S PLANS FOR ULSTER SEMI-FINAL WITH DOWN Donegal manager Jim McGuinness has confirmed he is planning without the influential duo of Karl Lacey and Neil Gallagher for the Ulster semi final clash with Down on Sunday week. Gallagher was awaiting the results of a scan to identify ligament damage to his knee yesterday, while […]
- LACEY PUTS CAREER ON HOLD TO FOCUS 100% ON CHAMPIONSHIP WITH DONEGAL Karl Lacey is putting his professional career on hold for the next few months as he aims to dedicate himself entirely to Donegal's championship campaign. Lacey is a former employee of Ulster Bank but quit his job to undertake a Masters Degree in Sports Science at the University […]
- KARL LACEY SAYS IT’S TIME FOR CLUB AND COUNTY TO SPLIT Donegal GAA star Karl Lacey has proposed a radical change in order to alleviate the on-going divide between clubs and county teams all over Ireland. Lacey feels the demand on players to play for both club and county is now unsustainable - and that the GAA should follow the Rugby […]
- IT’S ‘THREE AND EASY’ FOR DONEGAL’S ALL-STAR FOOTBALLERS BREAKING NEWS: Donegal made it a hat-trick at the Football All Star Awards this evening. Neil McGee, Kevin Cassidy and Karl Lacey were all recognised as being among the best 15 footballers in the country. The achievement underlines once and for all the brilliance of Donegal’s […]
- ULSTER PLAYER OF YEAR LACEY WILL BE FIT TO FACE AUSSIES Donegal's classt defender Karl Lacey hopes to be fit to feature for Ireland in next month’s International Rules series. Lacey has undergone keyhole surgery to his knee after picking up an injury when tackled by Barry Cahill in the Tir Chonaill County’s defeat to Dublin in last […]
- LACEY BELIEVES MCGUINNESS CAN MANAGE AT THE HIGHEST LEVEL IN PROFESSIONAL FOOTBALL Donegal GAA star Karl Lacey believes his former manager Jim McGuinness can make it all the way to the top in professional football management. McGuinness's success in Ireland with the Donegal GAA team has been well documented and was seen by many as revolutionary figure within […]
- GAA: MALIN DEFEAT CARNDONAGH IN TOM FARREN MEMORIAL CUP TOM FARREN MEMORIAL CUP Malin beat Carndonagh in the Tom Farren Memorial Cup on Saturday on a scoreline of Malin 2-16 Carndonagh 2-09. The Malin Team on the day was: Seamus […]
- MURPHY – “LACEY WAS ABSOLUTELY PHENOMENAL” Michael Murphy has lauded Karl Lacey for his sensational performance for Donegal in their Ulster SFC quarter-final win over local rivals Derry. The Donegal captain described Lacey's performance as 'phenomenal' and believes he has overcome the injuries that dogged his 2013 […]
- BIG BOOST FOR DONEGAL AS KARL LACEY RETURNS TO TRAINING Donegal have been given a massive boost with the news that Footballer of the year Karl Lacey has taken his first steps on the road to full recovery following surgery, it has been confirmed he has returned to training with Donegal. Lacey who was absolutely inspirational for Donegal […]
- GAA STAR LACEY STICKS THE BOOT INTO OPPOSITION Donegal star Karl Lacey is planning to continue to put the boot into the opposition with his lucky boots. Player of the Year Karl Lacey played a huge part in guiding Donegal to All-Ireland victory at Croke Park last September. The Donegal Town star is noted for his distinctive […]
- KARL LACEY NAMED ON HOGANSTAND TEAM OF THE WEEK Karl Lacey has been named on the Hoganstand team of the week after his excellent performance for Donegal in their comfortable win over Galway last Sunday. With every game Lacey continues to get fitter and stronger as Donegal fans hope he can recapture the form of 2012. That […]
- DDTV – LACEY DOES HIS HOMEWORK ON RTE’S MARTY AHEAD OF SPORTSTAR AWARDS! Donegal star Karl Lacey is in line to finish off an unbelievable after being short-listed for the Sports Person of the Year Award. But perhaps the Four Masters man may have the inside line with RTE's Marty Morrissey. Simply click the video to […]
- GAA STAR LACEY LEFT OUT IN COLD FOR FOOTBALLER OF YEAR AWARD Many GAA pundits and supporters have been left surprised after Donegal star Karl Lacey was left out of the nominees for this year's GAA footballer of the year award. Dublin's duo Stephen Cluxton and Alan Brogan are nominated along with Kerry forward Darran O'Sullivan. Karl also […]
- WHAT A LINE-UP! ALL STAR CELEBRATIONS FOR DONEGAL AS LACEY NAMED PLAYER OF THE YEAR THE Donegal All Stars got their hands on their awards tonight at a glittering ceremony in Dublin. And Donegal defender Karl Lacey was named Footballer of the Year. The centre half-back a 4-time All Star - was superb as Donegal claimed the All-Ireland title and he pipped […]
- “DONEGAL NEED TO ADAPT TO CONTINUE SUCCESS” – KARL LACEY Donegal player Karl Lacey feels Donegal have to adapt in order to continue the success they enjoyed under the tenure of Jim McGuinness. Rory Gallagher is the new Donegal manager and replacing Donegal's most successful ever manager is an unenviable task for the Fermanagh […]
- KARL LACEY: ‘I WANT ANOTHER ALL-IRELAND MEDAL’ Footballer of the year Karl Lacey has said he wants another All-Ireland medal and believes the current group of players in the county are capable of re-capturing the Sam Maguire cup in 2014. Lacey believes this current group of Donegal players are not content with one […]
- COUNTDOWN TO CROKER: MASSIVE BLOW FOR DONEGAL AS KARL LACEY RULED OUT COUNTDOWN TO CROKER: Rory Gallagher will have to plan without the services of Karl Lacey following confirmation earlier today that he won't be fit for Saturday's clash with Galway. Donegal face Galway at Croke Park on Saturday hoping to get their quest for an All-Ireland title back […]
- SOME SUPRISE OMISSIONS AS KARL LACEY NAMES HIS BEST EVER DONEGAL TEAM Donegal star Karl Lacey has selected his best ever Donegal side, and the Four Masters man has left out some notable names. Lacey selected the team based on who he has played with during his glittering Donegal career. His Four Masters teammate Paul Durcan is selected in goals, […]
- THREE DONEGAL PLAYERS NAMED ON ‘RULES’ PANEL FOR AUSTRALIA INTERNATIONAL Rules manager Anthony Tohill has named three Donegal players in his preliminary panel for the games in Australia later this month and next month. Donegal trio Karl Lacey, Neil McGee and Michael Murphy are on the initial panel - 23 players will eventually travel. Team […]
- HUNT ON FOR TYRONE FAN WHO SPAT ON LACEY AFTER GAME An investigation has been launched after a supporter allegedly spat on Donegal star Karl Lacey after yesterday’s game against Tyrone. Lacey, who is out injured, was making his way up the tunnel in Omagh when the incident happened. The Four Masters man and bank official was not […]