The Four Masters man had surgery on his hip yesterday and surgeons say it will be 12 weeks before he is able to train fully again.
Lacey, the GAA’s Footballer of the Year, was due to be in Dublin tonight for The RTE Sports Awards.
The bank official was nominated in the overall Person of the Year Award.
However his surgeon advised against Karl making the journey to Dublin.
More from Donegal Daily
- LACEY PUTS CAREER ON HOLD TO FOCUS 100% ON CHAMPIONSHIP WITH DONEGAL Karl Lacey is putting his professional career on hold for the next few months as he aims to dedicate himself entirely to Donegal's championship campaign. Lacey is a former employee of Ulster Bank but quit his job to undertake a Masters Degree in Sports Science at the University […]
- MURPHY – “LACEY WAS ABSOLUTELY PHENOMENAL” Michael Murphy has lauded Karl Lacey for his sensational performance for Donegal in their Ulster SFC quarter-final win over local rivals Derry. The Donegal captain described Lacey's performance as 'phenomenal' and believes he has overcome the injuries that dogged his 2013 […]
- COUNTDOWN TO CROKER: MASSIVE BLOW FOR DONEGAL AS KARL LACEY RULED OUT COUNTDOWN TO CROKER: Rory Gallagher will have to plan without the services of Karl Lacey following confirmation earlier today that he won't be fit for Saturday's clash with Galway. Donegal face Galway at Croke Park on Saturday hoping to get their quest for an All-Ireland title back […]
- KARL LACEY REVEALS DONEGAL STAYED CALM AT HALF-TIME Karl Lacey said Donegal remained calm at half-time in their Ulster SFC quarter-final clash with Derry, despite the fact they went in at the interval trailing by two points, after an ineffective opening 35 minutes. Some suggested McGuinness must have read the riot act to his […]
- THE REAL REASON WHY LACEY WAS ‘SHORT’-CHANGED AT CROKER! At first glance it looks like a team getting ready to play 70 minutes of football to claim the All-Ireland football title. All are singing off the same hymn sheet and all togged out exactly the same – or are they? A number of Donegal Daily readers have contacted the site […]
- J.J REID MOTORS GIVE AN ALL-STAR CAR TO AN ALL-STAR PLAYER J.J Reid Motors gave Karl Lacey his new Volkswagen Golf Bluemotion car last week, and the four time All-Star endorsed the quality vehicles on offer at J.J Reid Motors situated on the Canal Road. You can check out the video of Karl collecting his new Volkswagen Golf […]
- DONEGAL TEAM CLEAN UP ON SUNDAY GAME TEAM OF THE YEAR Eight Donegal players have been named on RTE’s Sunday Game Team of the Year. The players are Paul Durcan, Neil Magee, Frank McGlynn, Karl Lacey, Mark McHugh, Neil Gallagher, Colm McFadden and Michael Murphy. Michael Murphy was named as today’s Man of the Match. The Sunday Game’s […]
- RORY RETURNS FOR DONEGAL BUT KARL ON THE BENCH RORY Kavanagh has returned to the starting line-up for Sunday's Ulster SFC Final clash with Monaghan in Clones. The St Eunan's man has been named in the half-forward line as Martin McElhinney is chosen to partner Christy Toye in midfield. Neil Gallagher and Karl Lacey have been […]
- CROWDS COME OUT AS SAM MAGUIRE BEGINS TO ‘EVOLVE’! There is standing room only at the Evolve Menswear shop in Letterkenny today with the arrival of a well-known VIP. A certain Mr S Maguire has moved to Donegal for the year ahead and he was on display at the well-known clothing outfitters this morning. And he is accompanied by two […]
- GAA: DONEGAL WILL FACE DOWN IN ALLIANZ NATIONAL LEAGUE OPENER GAA: Donegal face a tricky away fixture in their Allianz National League opener on Saturday, January 30th. The fixtures for the Allianz National League campaign were announced earlier this evening and they have thrown up some difficult fixtures for Donegal. Rory Gallagher's […]
- DONEGAL SFC PREVIEW: FOUR MASTERS EXPECTED TO COMPLETE FORMALITIES AGAINST GLENFIN Four Masters travel to Glenfin on Saturday evening knowing a victory will see them top the group and advance to the last eight of the Donegal SFC. Four Masters delivered a polished and clinical display last weekend against Mac Cumhaills and ran out convincing winners in the […]
- ALLIANZ NATIONAL LEAGUE: OUTSTANDING DONEGAL JUST TOO GOOD FOR TYRONE DONEGAL delivered a simply awesome display in their finest performance of the season to run out utterly convincing and comfortable winners over a toothless Tyrone. Mickey Harte's men had no answer to Donegal and were simply outplayed all over the pitch by a hungry, determined and […]
- FOUR MASTERS DUO PAUL DURCAN AND KARL LACEY SHINE YET AGAIN FOR DONEGAL Four Masters GAA Club Notes Donegal GAA Well done to Paul Durcan and Karl Lacey who helped Donegal to an excellent win over Armagh on Sunday. Paul made a number of fantastic saves (see below) and Karl got on the scoreboard with an excellent point. Karl was also one of five […]
- GAA CONFIRM FIXTURES FOR 2015: DONEGAL WILL FACE DUBLIN UNDER THE LIGHTS AT CROKER Donegal will face Dublin under the lights at Croke Park in the second series of games in the 2015 Allianz Football League Division One. Rory Gallagher will make his competitive bow as Donegal manager a week earlier when they host last year's runners-up Derry at Mac Cumhaill […]
- FEARS OVER MCBREARTY’S DONEGAL GAA FUTURE AS HE HAS AUSTRALIAN TRIALS Donegal GAA is in a tailspin with the news that the county’s hottest young player could be about to head to Australia to play football. Patrick McBrearty, the 18 year old star nurtured by manager Jim McGuinness, is now a target for recruiters looking to add his name to a list of […]
- “RYAN MCHUGH IS THE BEST PLAYER IN THE COUNTRY WITHOUT AN ALL-STAR” – O’KANE A GAA correspondent has said he feels Ryan McHugh is the best player in the country without an All-Star. McHugh was in stunning form in Newry on Saturday night, as a rampant Donegal side annihilated Down. McHugh scored two fantastic goals, and in general play was a constant […]
- MURPHY SAYS TIME MAY HAVE COME TO SCRAP MATCH PARADE Donegal star Michael Murphy believes the GAA may be better off calling a halt to pre-match parades. There were ugly scenes last Sunday prior to Armagh’s Ulster Championship quarter-final with Cavan when a massive brawl broke out before the ball was even thrown in. The […]
- TOMÁS Ó SÉ – “MCGUINNESS IS RIGHT UP THERE WITH O’DWYER, HEFFERNAN AND CODY Former Kerry star Tomás Ó Sé reckons Jim McGuinness is right up there amongst the best GAA coaches to ever grace the game. Ó Sé believes McGuinness's achievements deserve to place him among GAA managerial greats like Mick O'Dwyer, Kevin Heffernan and Brian Cody. McGuinness […]
- FORMER PREMIER LEAGUE WINNER HUGELY IMPRESSED BY JIM MCGUINNESS Former Chelsea and Spurs goalkeeper Caro Cudicini has lavished praise on Jim McGuinness after being blown away by a presentation given by the former Donegal manager. McGuinness delivered a presentation at the FAI Coach-Education - Pro License course which the former Premier League […]
- BREAKING NEWS: DONEGAL MINOR STARS HAVE TWO-MONTH BAN REVERSED GAA: The Donegal County board have won their appeal against the decision to ban TWO Donegal minor stars for EIGHT weeks following an incident in their Ulster MFC quarter-final win over Armagh. The flashpoint occurred at half-time in that clash with an Ulster official believed to be […]