More than 150 individuals and teams fought it out for 37 awards at last night’s Donegal Sports Star Awards.
The overall Sports Star of the Year Award went to Donegal GAA star Karl Lacey.
The Four Masters man dedicated his award to the entire Donegal GAA team.
A massive crowd of more than 580 guests attended the glamorous event to honour Donegal’s sporting elite which was held at the Mount Errigal Hotel in Letterkenny.
Chairman of the DSSA, Neil Martin thanked all who had come together to organise the night and especially the sponsorship of Donegal County Council.
Mayor Frank McBrearty paid tribute to the families and coaches of all the sports stars whom he said were the real heroes behind the headlines.
“Being acknowledged by your county is the biggest honour you can receive and I think sport has a huge role to play in Ireland’s recovery.
“There have been many highlights but I would especially like to thank the Donegal GAA team for bringing back the feel-good factor,” he said.
Special guest and head coach with the Irish Boxing Team Billy Walsh had a message for young people.
“It’s all about fun and enjoying what you do. The more you enjoy it, the better you will be at it,” he said.
Winners on the night
* Special Athlete – Daniel McBrearty
* Athletics – Brendan Boyce
* Badminton – Chloe Magee
* Basketball – Clodagh Brennan
* Boxing – Jason Quigley
* Clay Pigeon Shooting –
* Cricket – Alan McBeth
* Cycling – Ronan McLaughlin
* Equestrian – Kelda Morgan
* GAA – Karl Lacey
* Golf – Con Boyce
* Gymnastics – Alannah Gallagher
* Hockey – William Kilpatrick
* Hurling – Joe Boyle
* Martial Arts – Natalie McCarron
* Motor Sport – Neill Doherty
* Para-Athlete – James Boyle
* Rugby – Lisa Muldoon
* Soccer – Kevin McHugh
* Swimming – Kevin Murray
* Triathlon – Aidan Callaghan
* Primary School Sports Boy – Denver Kelly
* Primary School Sports Girl – Amy Boyle Carr
* Secondary Schools Sports Boy – John Kelly
* Secondary Schools Sports Girl – Kate McGowan
* International Achievement – Jim Doherty
* Olympic Recognition – Anne Marie McDaid, Brendan Boyce, Catriona Jennings, Chloe Magee, Daniel Magee, Patsy McGonagle, Rena McCarron, Toni Penna.
* Team Manager/Coach – Jim McGuinness.
* Appreciation – Peter O’Donnell
* Brendan McDaid Memorial Special Achievement – Patrick Bond
* Team – the Donegal GAA team
* Special Recognition – Dessie Kelly
* Primary School – Fintra National School
* Primary School Sports Teacher – Annmarie Meehan
* Secondary School – Abbey Vocational School
* Secondary School Sports Teacher – Nicola Ryan
* Hall of Fame – Eamon Coyle
* Overall Donegal Sports Star –
Rory Kavanagh, Karl Lacey and Frank McGlynn accept the team award on behalf of the Donegal GAA team
Patrick Bond gets the Brendan McDaid Special Achievement Award
Peter O’Donnell gets the recognition award
Donegal’s Olympic athletes are honoured
Natalie McCarron wins the martial arts award
Chloe Magee gets her award
Walker Brendan Boyce receives his award
More from Donegal Daily
- DONEGAL SPORTS STAR OF THE YEAR – NOMINATIONS REVEALED The nominations for the 36th Donegal Sports Star of the Year Awards have been announced.
A record number of 156 nominations having been received in 36 different categories. The committee is delighted with the huge response from the sporting public in terms of the number and quality of […]
- NOMINATIONS REVEALED FOR 2013 DONEGAL SPORTS STAR AWARDS The names of the individuals, teams and schools for the 2013 Donegal Sports Star Awards have been announced by the organising committee ahead of the presentation function, which takes place on Friday January 31st in the Mount Errigal Hotel where the special guest will be FAI boss John […]
- DELANEY FORCED TO CANCEL BUT ANOTHER STAR TO ATTEND DONEGAL SPORTS STAR AWARDS
Due to unforeseen circumstances special guest Ronnie Delany will not now be able to attend the Donegal Sports Star 40th Awards function in the Mount Errigal Hotel next Friday night.
However, at very short notice and with Ronnie’s assistance another Irish Olympic legend and also a […]
- EXCITEMENT BUILDING FOR DONEGAL ASSOCIATION’S GALA BALL Preparations are well under way in Dublin for the Annual Gala Ball when Deirdre McGlone from the famous Harvey’s Point in Lough Eske will be awarded the 2015 Donegal Person of the Year.
The event is taking place on the 5th of March in The Regency Hotel and a large crowd is expected to […]
- NOMINEES NERVOUS AS COUNTDOWN TO SPORTS STAR AWARDS IS ON
With the nominees named earlier this month for next Friday night’s Donegal Sports Star Awards function the county’ sporting public has been forensically trawling the categories trying to pick winners for the prestigious Donegal County Council sponsored show which take place in the […]
- DONEGAL COUNTY COUNCIL CONFIRM THEIR SPONSORSHIP OF THE 2013 DONEGAL SPORTS STAR AWARDS Donegal County Council has confirmed their sponsorship of the 2013 Donegal Sports Star Awards.
The Council who began their association with the awards in 1977 have been the main sponsor for the past 17 years.
With the deadline for nominations for the 38th awards at the end of […]
- LETTERKENNY 24/7 ATHLETE GAVIN CRAWFORD WINS TRI-ATHLETE AWARD AT DONEGAL SPORT STAR AWARDS Letterkenny 24/7 Triathlon Club
Four club members went to Sligo on Saturday Aidan Callaghan, Clint Doherty, Martin Donnelly and the pro for a course on acting as race director.
The course was given by the Eanetta brothers and the key point to emerge was that the saferty of every […]
- THE DAZZLING DOZEN! 12 DONEGAL PLAYERS ON ALL-STAR NOMINATION LIST DONEGAL'S All-Ireland winning team has received the most nominations for this year's All Stars - with an incredible TWELVE nominations.
A total of twelve counties are represented amongst the 45 nominees.
But Donegal top the list with 12, followed by Mayo who have ten.
The 12 […]
- EXCITEMENT BUILDING TOWARDS ANNUAL DONEGAL SPORTSTAR AWARDS
The excitement is mounting as nominees for the 38th Donegal Sports Star Awards hope that their respective successes last year will see them honoured at the gala function in the Mount Errigal Hotel next Friday night.
The appearance of the FAI CEO John Delaney is also attracting a […]
- RTE PERSONALITY SEAN O’ROURKE TO HOST SPORTSTAR AWARDS
The 39th Donegal Sports Star Awards was officially launched on Monday night in the Mount Errigal where it was confirmed that the well known RTE broadcaster Sean O’Rourke is to be the special guest.
The County Council sponsored awards take place in the Mount Errigal Hotel on […]
- DONEGAL SPORTS STAR AWARDS ARE A SELL-OUT!
The ‘Sold Out’ signs are up at the Mount Errigal Hotel for this Friday night’s Donegal Sports Star Awards.
Committee PRO Declan Kerr has just confirmed that the function is now sold out. It means a full house for the 39th annual awards ceremony.
“We’re absolutely delighted […]
- DONEGAL JUNIOR LEAGUE REPORTS, RESULTS AND FIXTURES DONEGAL JUNIOR LEAGUE RESULTS
Saturday 12th March 2016
Old Orchard Saturday Division
Orchard F.C . 2 v 1 Glencar Celtic
Drumbar F.C. 2 v 2 Strand Rovers
Glencar Inn Saturday Reserve Division
Glenree United Reserves 4 v 1 St. Catherines Reserves
Donegal Town Reserves 2 v 3 Milford […]
- DONEGAL TEAM CLEAN UP ON SUNDAY GAME TEAM OF THE YEAR Eight Donegal players have been named on RTE’s Sunday Game Team of the Year.
The players are Paul Durcan, Neil Magee, Frank McGlynn, Karl Lacey, Mark McHugh, Neil Gallagher, Colm McFadden and Michael Murphy.
Michael Murphy was named as today’s Man of the Match.
The Sunday Game’s […]
- NOMINATIONS SOUGHT FOR 37TH ANNUAL DONEGAL SPORTS STAR AWARDS The Donegal Sports Star Committee have commenced preparations for the 37th annual awards ceremony which will take in the Mount Errigal Hotel on Friday, January 25th.
Once again 2012 has brought us a significant number of local, county, national and international sporting […]
- GAA: FAN’S CRITICISM OF DONEGAL’S HOTEL STAY BELOW is a letter sent to the Irish Independent by GAA fan John Cuffe, in which he comments on a different age in the game....
"So Donegal needed to stay in a luxury hotel before playing Derry. Donegal to Clones is not to be equated with a trip in the Australian outback. How things […]
- TICKETS SELLING FAST FOR THE 37TH ANNUAL DONEGAL SPORTS STAR AWARDS
Tickets are selling fast for the 37th Donegal Sports Star Awards ceremony takes place on Friday, January 25th in the Mount Errigal Hotel.
The names released by the organising committee show there are over 150 nominees in 34 categories in the traditional annual event.
- FINAL PREPARATIONS UNDERWAY FOR DONEGAL SPORTS STAR AWARDS The final preparations are now being made for the 37th Donegal Sports Star Awards, which takes place on this Friday night in the Mount Errigal Hotel.
Only a small handful of the nominees are certain of picking up awards while for the rest it is an agonizing wait until the category […]
- NOMINATIONS ANNOUNCED FOR DONEGAL SPORTS STAR AWARDS FOR 2014
The committee of the Donegal Sports Star awards have announced their list of nominations for 2014.
The presentations wil be announced at the awards which will be held in the Mount Errigal Hotel.
2014 DONEGAL SPORTS STAR AWARDS NOMINEES
Brid McGinty, […]
- WHAT A LINE-UP! ALL STAR CELEBRATIONS FOR DONEGAL AS LACEY NAMED PLAYER OF THE YEAR
THE Donegal All Stars got their hands on their awards tonight at a glittering ceremony in Dublin.
And Donegal defender Karl Lacey was named Footballer of the Year.
The centre half-back a 4-time All Star - was superb as Donegal claimed the All-Ireland title and he pipped […]
- SLIEVE LEAGUE CLIFFS VOTED MOST IMPRESSIVE VISITOR ATTRACTION
Donegal's Slieve League Cliffs was the most impressive visit for customers of CIE Tours International last year.
The company held its annual Awards of Excellence in Dublin earlier tonight.
Glenveagh National Park was also the recipient of a prestigious award.
Kee’s Hotel in […]