More than 150 individuals and teams fought it out for 37 awards at last night’s Donegal Sports Star Awards.
The overall Sports Star of the Year Award went to Donegal GAA star Karl Lacey.
The Four Masters man dedicated his award to the entire Donegal GAA team.
A massive crowd of more than 580 guests attended the glamorous event to honour Donegal’s sporting elite which was held at the Mount Errigal Hotel in Letterkenny.
Chairman of the DSSA, Neil Martin thanked all who had come together to organise the night and especially the sponsorship of Donegal County Council.
Mayor Frank McBrearty paid tribute to the families and coaches of all the sports stars whom he said were the real heroes behind the headlines.
“Being acknowledged by your county is the biggest honour you can receive and I think sport has a huge role to play in Ireland’s recovery.
“There have been many highlights but I would especially like to thank the Donegal GAA team for bringing back the feel-good factor,” he said.
Special guest and head coach with the Irish Boxing Team Billy Walsh had a message for young people.
“It’s all about fun and enjoying what you do. The more you enjoy it, the better you will be at it,” he said.
Winners on the night
* Special Athlete – Daniel McBrearty
* Athletics – Brendan Boyce
* Badminton – Chloe Magee
* Basketball – Clodagh Brennan
* Boxing – Jason Quigley
* Clay Pigeon Shooting –
* Cricket – Alan McBeth
* Cycling – Ronan McLaughlin
* Equestrian – Kelda Morgan
* GAA – Karl Lacey
* Golf – Con Boyce
* Gymnastics – Alannah Gallagher
* Hockey – William Kilpatrick
* Hurling – Joe Boyle
* Martial Arts – Natalie McCarron
* Motor Sport – Neill Doherty
* Para-Athlete – James Boyle
* Rugby – Lisa Muldoon
* Soccer – Kevin McHugh
* Swimming – Kevin Murray
* Triathlon – Aidan Callaghan
* Primary School Sports Boy – Denver Kelly
* Primary School Sports Girl – Amy Boyle Carr
* Secondary Schools Sports Boy – John Kelly
* Secondary Schools Sports Girl – Kate McGowan
* International Achievement – Jim Doherty
* Olympic Recognition – Anne Marie McDaid, Brendan Boyce, Catriona Jennings, Chloe Magee, Daniel Magee, Patsy McGonagle, Rena McCarron, Toni Penna.
* Team Manager/Coach – Jim McGuinness.
* Appreciation – Peter O’Donnell
* Brendan McDaid Memorial Special Achievement – Patrick Bond
* Team – the Donegal GAA team
* Special Recognition – Dessie Kelly
* Primary School – Fintra National School
* Primary School Sports Teacher – Annmarie Meehan
* Secondary School – Abbey Vocational School
* Secondary School Sports Teacher – Nicola Ryan
* Hall of Fame – Eamon Coyle
* Overall Donegal Sports Star –
Rory Kavanagh, Karl Lacey and Frank McGlynn accept the team award on behalf of the Donegal GAA team
Patrick Bond gets the Brendan McDaid Special Achievement Award
Peter O’Donnell gets the recognition award
Donegal’s Olympic athletes are honoured
Natalie McCarron wins the martial arts award
Chloe Magee gets her award
Walker Brendan Boyce receives his award
More from Donegal Daily
- DONEGAL SPORTS STAR OF THE YEAR – NOMINATIONS REVEALED The nominations for the 36th Donegal Sports Star of the Year Awards have been announced.
A record number of 156 nominations having been received in 36 different categories. The committee is delighted with the huge response from the sporting public in terms of the number and quality of […]
- DELANEY FORCED TO CANCEL BUT ANOTHER STAR TO ATTEND DONEGAL SPORTS STAR AWARDS
Due to unforeseen circumstances special guest Ronnie Delany will not now be able to attend the Donegal Sports Star 40th Awards function in the Mount Errigal Hotel next Friday night.
However, at very short notice and with Ronnie’s assistance another Irish Olympic legend and also a […]
- THE DAZZLING DOZEN! 12 DONEGAL PLAYERS ON ALL-STAR NOMINATION LIST DONEGAL'S All-Ireland winning team has received the most nominations for this year's All Stars - with an incredible TWELVE nominations.
A total of twelve counties are represented amongst the 45 nominees.
But Donegal top the list with 12, followed by Mayo who have ten.
The 12 […]
- DONEGAL TEAM CLEAN UP ON SUNDAY GAME TEAM OF THE YEAR Eight Donegal players have been named on RTE’s Sunday Game Team of the Year.
The players are Paul Durcan, Neil Magee, Frank McGlynn, Karl Lacey, Mark McHugh, Neil Gallagher, Colm McFadden and Michael Murphy.
Michael Murphy was named as today’s Man of the Match.
The Sunday Game’s […]
- NOMINATIONS SOUGHT FOR 37TH ANNUAL DONEGAL SPORTS STAR AWARDS The Donegal Sports Star Committee have commenced preparations for the 37th annual awards ceremony which will take in the Mount Errigal Hotel on Friday, January 25th.
Once again 2012 has brought us a significant number of local, county, national and international sporting […]
- NOMINATIONS ANNOUNCED FOR DONEGAL SPORTS STAR AWARDS FOR 2014
The committee of the Donegal Sports Star awards have announced their list of nominations for 2014.
The presentations wil be announced at the awards which will be held in the Mount Errigal Hotel.
2014 DONEGAL SPORTS STAR AWARDS NOMINEES
Brid McGinty, […]
- GAA: FAN’S CRITICISM OF DONEGAL’S HOTEL STAY BELOW is a letter sent to the Irish Independent by GAA fan John Cuffe, in which he comments on a different age in the game....
"So Donegal needed to stay in a luxury hotel before playing Derry. Donegal to Clones is not to be equated with a trip in the Australian outback. How things […]
- HAT-TRICK OF AWARDS FOR DONEGAL GAA STARS DONEGAL star Karl Lacey last night added another trophy to his cabinet - the Ulster GAA writers' Player of the Year Award.
And Jim McGuinness won Personality of the Year and Patrick McBrearty Young Achiever of the Year to complete a great hat-trick for the county.
At a glittering […]
- SLIEVE LEAGUE CLIFFS VOTED MOST IMPRESSIVE VISITOR ATTRACTION
Donegal's Slieve League Cliffs was the most impressive visit for customers of CIE Tours International last year.
The company held its annual Awards of Excellence in Dublin earlier tonight.
Glenveagh National Park was also the recipient of a prestigious award.
Kee’s Hotel in […]
- JANUARY GOT YEAR OFF TO A FLYER – DONEGAL SPORTS STAR REVIEW
The spin-offs from the Termon’s Ladies historic success continued in January as star forward Geraldine McLaughlin picked up two more major awards while the team and manager Francie Friel were also honoured at the Donegal Sports Star function at the end of the month.
And on the […]
- DONEGAL STAR RORY FINALLY MEETS HIS MATCH Donegal GAA midfielder may be used to being the star of the show.
But it was his stunning bride Kathryn Russell who stole all the limelight when the well-known couple got married yesterday.
The couple, who are both teachers, tied the knot and were joined by hundreds of family and […]
- GAA NEWS: FOUR MASTERS CREATE WAVES WITH COMPETITION TO WIN TRAINING SESSION WITH COUNTY STARS Four Masters Fundraiser Creating Waves
The Senior and Senior Reserves Four Masters GAA football teams have announced a fundraising event to take place on July 12th when they will be boarding the Donegal Bay Waterbus, however, it is the first prize which is causing waves.
As Four […]
- COUNTDOWN TO CROKER: WIN TWO FREE TICKETS FOR FINAL WITH DONEGAL DAILY
Tickets for the All-Ireland Final will be like gold-dust but Donegal Daily has TWO free tickets to give to one lucky reader.
The Donegal GAA team has been lucky to have a loyal sponsor like Donegal Creameries in recent years.
And now courtesy of the Donegal teams' main […]
- THE DONEGAL GAA TEAM DO THE FULL MONTY – ALMOST!
There were a lot of missed heartbeats and swooning at the Mount Errigal Hotel last night.
No – Jedward weren’t back in town.
But the Donegal GAA team were and certainly got into the swing of things for a very good cause.
The team answered the […]
- NAMES OF 190 NOMINEES FOR DONEGAL SPORTS STAR AWARDS REVEALED The list of nominees for the 2015 Donegal Sports Star Awards
function, which takes place in the Mount Errigal Hotel on Friday 29th
January, has been released.
Over 190 names have been listed for awards in 40 categories.
Just two people, athlete Kieran Murray from Ramelton and […]
- DONEGAL NAMED RTE SPORTS TEAM OF THE YEAR
DONEGAL have been crowned Team of the Year at the national sports awards in Dublin tonight.
The RTE TV award, sponsored by Irish Sports Council, named the county as the winners.
Team manager Jim McGuinness and player Mark McHugh picked up the award on behalf of the team.
- TICKETS NOW AVAILABLE FOR DONEGAL SPORTS STAR AWARDS Tickets for the Donegal Sports Star Awards on Friday, January 30th are now available from the Mount Errigal Hotel.
The hotel contact number is 9106700. For further details go to donegalsportsstarawards.ie or Facebook at donegalsports starawards.
- SHOCK AS KARL LACEY FINALLY DUMPS TRADEMARK WHITE BOOTS – FOR GREEN AND GOLD
DONEGAL GAA star Karl Lacey has dumped his white boots - for a pair in green and gold.
But fans of the Four Masters player needn't worry too much.
It's only his wellies which will be changing colour.
We've been assured that Karl will NOT be wearing wellies against Tyrone in […]
- DONEGAL STAR DURCAN SET TO JOIN THE CENTURY CLUB Donegal's All Ireland winning goalkeeper and All star Paul Durcan is set to make his 100th appearance for Donegal this weekend.
Durcan will take his place in goals for Sunday's National league clash against Tyrone at Healy park in Omagh. Durcan becomes the 5th member of this […]
- THREE DONEGAL PLAYERS NAMED IN ‘SUNDAY GAME’ TEAM OF YEAR! Donegal received further support for their ‘defensive’ style of play when no less than three of the team were named in the Sunday Game’s Team of the Season.
RTE pundits including Pat Spillane and Ciaran Whelan named the team n last night’s programme after the All Ireland Final […]