More than 150 individuals and teams fought it out for 37 awards at last night’s Donegal Sports Star Awards.
The overall Sports Star of the Year Award went to Donegal GAA star Karl Lacey.
The Four Masters man dedicated his award to the entire Donegal GAA team.
A massive crowd of more than 580 guests attended the glamorous event to honour Donegal’s sporting elite which was held at the Mount Errigal Hotel in Letterkenny.
Chairman of the DSSA, Neil Martin thanked all who had come together to organise the night and especially the sponsorship of Donegal County Council.
Mayor Frank McBrearty paid tribute to the families and coaches of all the sports stars whom he said were the real heroes behind the headlines.
“There have been many highlights but I would especially like to thank the Donegal GAA team for bringing back the feel-good factor,” he said.
Special guest and head coach with the Irish Boxing Team Billy Walsh had a message for young people.
“It’s all about fun and enjoying what you do. The more you enjoy it, the better you will be at it,” he said.
Winners on the night
* Special Athlete – Daniel McBrearty
* Athletics – Brendan Boyce
* Badminton – Chloe Magee
* Basketball – Clodagh Brennan
* Boxing – Jason Quigley
* Clay Pigeon Shooting –
* Cricket – Alan McBeth
* Cycling – Ronan McLaughlin
* Equestrian – Kelda Morgan
* GAA – Karl Lacey
* Golf – Con Boyce
* Gymnastics – Alannah Gallagher
* Hockey – William Kilpatrick
* Hurling – Joe Boyle
* Martial Arts – Natalie McCarron
* Motor Sport – Neill Doherty
* Para-Athlete – James Boyle
* Rugby – Lisa Muldoon
* Soccer – Kevin McHugh
* Swimming – Kevin Murray
* Triathlon – Aidan Callaghan
* Primary School Sports Boy – Denver Kelly
* Primary School Sports Girl – Amy Boyle Carr
* Secondary Schools Sports Boy – John Kelly
* Secondary Schools Sports Girl – Kate McGowan
* International Achievement – Jim Doherty
* Olympic Recognition – Anne Marie McDaid, Brendan Boyce, Catriona Jennings, Chloe Magee, Daniel Magee, Patsy McGonagle, Rena McCarron, Toni Penna.
* Team Manager/Coach – Jim McGuinness.
* Appreciation – Peter O’Donnell
* Brendan McDaid Memorial Special Achievement – Patrick Bond
* Team – the Donegal GAA team
* Special Recognition – Dessie Kelly
* Primary School – Fintra National School
* Primary School Sports Teacher – Annmarie Meehan
* Secondary School – Abbey Vocational School
* Secondary School Sports Teacher – Nicola Ryan
* Hall of Fame – Eamon Coyle
* Overall Donegal Sports Star –