The Donegal Team and Management will be honoured at a civic reception in the County House Lifford tonight (FRI) at 8.30pm.
The honour is in recognition of their achievements including winning the Ulster Championship back to back in 2011 and 2012 and the 2012 all-Ireland final in Croke Park last September.
This Civic Reception is being hosted by the Mayor Cllr. Frank McBrearty Jnr and by the members of Donegal County Council.
The Mayor, elected members and staff of the Council will be joined by the Donegal Team, their management and invited guests, including two children from each of the local schools in the area, at this special event that will recognise the wonderful achievements of this team both on and off the field.
Mayor of Donegal, Cllr. Frank McBrearty is delighted to be in a position to host this event saying “This team brought the Sam Maguire Cup back to Donegal and this has had a remarkable impact on the people of Donegal both at home and abroad. Since winning the all Ireland final in September 2012 this team has been wonderful ambassadors for the county.
“They have visited towns and villages the width and breadth of the county and have taken the Sam Maguire Cup to many places overseas ensuring that Donegal people both at home and abroad have had an opportunity to share with them in the joy of winning the all Ireland final”.
He added “Winning the Ulster Championship back to back in 2011 and 2012 and going on to win the all Ireland in 2012 is a wonderful achievement and demonstrates the strength, determination and resilience of not only each player but of the hard work and dedication of the management and back room staff. This team is a great role model for all of us and especially for our children and young people. This Civic Reception is being hosted to recognise not only the teams achievement but also the great joy and inspiration that they have brought to the county.”
Each player and member of the management team will receive a set of hand made silver cufflinks designed and made by well known, Donegal based jewellery designer Niall Bruton.
The team and management will also be presented with a special scroll marking the occasion of this Civic reception.
More from Donegal Daily
- INDIAN AMBASSADOR VISITS DONEGAL TO VIEW TOURIST OPPORTUNITIES
Liam Ward Director of Service, Donegal County Council, the Mayor of Donegal, Cllr. Frank McBrearty Jnr are pictured with the Indian Ambassador to Ireland, Mr. Debashish Chakravarti and his wife Mrs. Adity Chakravarti on a visit to the Council Offices in Lifford yesterday […]
- MAYOR MCBREARTY SLAMS POLITICIANS FOR MAKING ‘POLITICAL FOOTBALL’ OUT OF GARDA ISSUE The Mayor of Donegal, Cllr Frank McBrearty, has slammed politicians for blaming the lack of Garda manpower in Donegal for rising crime.
The Labour Party councillor accused Fianna Fail, Sinn Fein and Independent Thomas Pringle of making a politicial football out of the […]
- ‘MILITANT’ PROTESTERS ARE A DISGRACE TO DONEGAL – MAYOR
The Mayor of Donegal has slammed the “militant protests” undertaken by campaigners which he said was bringing shame and negative publicity to the county.
Cllr Frank McBrearty was speaking after protesters broke through Garda barriers and banged on Taoiseach Enda Kenny’s car during […]
- MAN UTD AND CELTIC STAR PADDY TO GET CIVIC RECEPTION Former Manchester Utd and Celtic star Paddy Crerand is to be given a civic reception by Donegal County Council.
The soccer star’s mother Sarah ‘Tim’ Boyle was from Gaoth Dobhair and Paddy still spends a lot of time in West Donegal.
Family and friends will gather with Paddy when […]
- MAYOR MCBREARTY ATTACKS JUSTICE MINISTER – GARDAI CANNOT INVESTIGATE GARDAI Mayor of Donegal Frank McBrearty has said the Garda Ombudsman must be made completely independent if it is to work.
In a wide-ranging attack on Garda misconduct, the Labour politician also points the finger at his own party and coalition partner Fine Gael for remaining silent on the […]
- INDEPENDENT COUNCILLOR JOHN CAMPBELL CHOSEN AS NEW MAYOR OF COUNTY COUNCIL BREAKING NEWS: Independent councillor John Campbell is to be elected the new chairman of Donegal County Council.
An all-party inclusive agreement will see the Mountcharles man elected to the position.
It had been reported that Sinn Fein’s Jack Murray was to be the new chairman but […]
- DONEGAL SCHOOL GRANTED €58K FOR NEW ASTRO TURF PITCH
Minister of State for Gaeltacht Affairs Joe McHugh has announced a grant of €57,954 for the Board of Management at Scoil an tSratha Mhóír, Stramore, to help them develop an astro-turf pitch.
Announcing the grant, Minister McHugh said he was making this grant available on the […]
- CRIME ALERT: GARDAI HUNT GANG USING SCAM TO CON ELDERLY
Gardai are hunting a gang disguised as Gardai and calling on the homes of elderly people pretending to be checking forged money.
The gang have already called to a number of homes in the Glenfin area of the county.
The two man gang, who were dressed in suits, pretended to be […]
- JIM’S PROMISE TO DONEGAL CHILDREN: ‘WE’LL TAKE SAM INTO EVERY SCHOOL IN THE COUNTY’
DONEGAL manager Jim McGuinness promised fans tonight that every child in the county will get a chance to see the Sam Maguire over the next few weeks.
And the whole nation will see it on TV tomorrow night as Jim and the team are the special guests of the Late Late Show.
- ST EUNAN’S COLLEGE CROWNED MacLARNON CUP CHAMPS AFTER DERBY WIN OVER INIS EOGHAIN ST EUNAN'S College lifted the MacLarnon Cup in an historic St Patrick's Day derby final against Coláistí Inis Eoghain in Armagh today.
The excellent Niall O'Donnell won a crucial penalty in the dying embers of the game before adding a point himself to see the Letterkenny college […]
- DONEGAL FAMILY MOURN LOSS OF MOLLY, AGED 109, WHO WAS WORLD’S OLDEST PERSON
A CO Donegal family is mourning the loss of Molly Madden, who was Ireland's oldest citizen and the oldest person in the world.
Molly passed away on Saturday aged 109.
Her son Noel is the well-known publican who owns Madden's Bridge Bar in Bundoran.
The premises are closed […]
- TIDY TOWNS HOMECOMING TOLD ‘WE DON’T HAVE SAM BUT WE HAVE OUR ALL-IRELAND’
'We may not have taken home the Sam Maguire but we have our All-Ireland.'
Those were the words of chairman of Donegal County Council, Cllr Ciaran Brogan tonight as he welcomed home the members of Letterkenny's Tidy Towns Committee.
Ann McGowan and her team arrived home to a […]
- “WE WANTED MORE THAN ANYTHING ELSE IN THE WORLD TO BRING BACK SAM” – McGUINNESS
One very important passenger may have been missing from their entourage as Donegal GAA manager Jim McGuinness and his team returned home tonight.
But even without the Sam Maguire cup, an estimated crowd of more than 5,000 people thronged The Diamond in Donegal Town to welcome […]
- DONEGAL STARS TO BE GIVEN CIVIC RECEPTION BY LETTERKENNY COUNCIL The victorious Donegal All-Ireland winning team are to be given a civic reception by Letterkenny Town Council.
The reception will be held at the Council Chamber at council offices on the Neil T Blaney Road tomorrow evening at 6pm.
A number of members of the team and the management […]
- SADNESS AT PASSING OF ONE OF DONEGAL’S OLDEST CITIZENS One of Donegal and indeed Ireland’s oldest citizens has died.
There is a great feeling of sadness following the death of Julia McAteer who was 106.
A huge GAA fan, Ms McAteer was originally from Rathmullan but had spent many happy years at Nazareth House Nursing Home in […]
- SAM’S WORLD TOUR OF DONEGAL – STRAMORE NS, GLENDOWAN PICTURE SPECIAL
He may be one of the stars of the Donegal GAA All-Ireland winning team.
But to the pupils of Stramore National School in Glendowan, Frank McGlynn is much more than that.
He is one of their favourite teachers and has been a huge influence on the children at the school.
- TOP BROADCASTER BRANDS DONEGAL’S INTERVIEW ON LATE LATE A “DISGRACE” The controversy surrounding the Donegal team’s brief appearance on RTE’s Late Late Show has been reignited by one of Ireland’s top broadcasters.
Well-known and hugely respected former UTV sports commentator Adrian Logan has branded the interview a disgrace.
Logan, affectionately […]
- JIM’S ARMY DESCEND ON CROKER AS SEARCH TO REGAIN SAM HOTS UP The sandwiches are made. The jerseys are ironed and the diesel is in the car. Let the journey begin!
More than 20,000 Donegal fans head to Croke Park today for the serious end of the All-Ireland championship.
It’s ‘do or die’ for Jim McGuinness’ men as they look to dispose of […]
- PAWFECT! DONEGAL ARE TOP DOGS OF ULSTER! They said we were ‘barking mad’ to dream of two Ulster titles in a row.
But Jim McGuinness and his men were top dogs last night after collaring Down to capture the Anglo Celt Cup in Clones yesterday.
A huge army of Donegal fans travelled to Monaghan hoping to make history.
- EARLY McGLYNN GOAL THE DIFFERENCE AS DONEGAL OVERCOME DOWN IN McKENNA CUP
A Frank McGlynn goal after just a minute of this Dr McKenna Cup game at MacCumhaill Park kept daylight between Donegal and Down this afternoon.
With six debutants in their starting line-up, the home side always managed to keep their nose in front in a game which attracted a strong […]