The Donegal Team and Management will be honoured at a civic reception in the County House Lifford tonight (FRI) at 8.30pm.
The honour is in recognition of their achievements including winning the Ulster Championship back to back in 2011 and 2012 and the 2012 all-Ireland final in Croke Park last September.
This Civic Reception is being hosted by the Mayor Cllr. Frank McBrearty Jnr and by the members of Donegal County Council.
The Mayor, elected members and staff of the Council will be joined by the Donegal Team, their management and invited guests, including two children from each of the local schools in the area, at this special event that will recognise the wonderful achievements of this team both on and off the field.
Mayor of Donegal, Cllr. Frank McBrearty is delighted to be in a position to host this event saying “This team brought the Sam Maguire Cup back to Donegal and this has had a remarkable impact on the people of Donegal both at home and abroad. Since winning the all Ireland final in September 2012 this team has been wonderful ambassadors for the county.
“They have visited towns and villages the width and breadth of the county and have taken the Sam Maguire Cup to many places overseas ensuring that Donegal people both at home and abroad have had an opportunity to share with them in the joy of winning the all Ireland final”.
He added “Winning the Ulster Championship back to back in 2011 and 2012 and going on to win the all Ireland in 2012 is a wonderful achievement and demonstrates the strength, determination and resilience of not only each player but of the hard work and dedication of the management and back room staff. This team is a great role model for all of us and especially for our children and young people. This Civic Reception is being hosted to recognise not only the teams achievement but also the great joy and inspiration that they have brought to the county.”
Each player and member of the management team will receive a set of hand made silver cufflinks designed and made by well known, Donegal based jewellery designer Niall Bruton.
The team and management will also be presented with a special scroll marking the occasion of this Civic reception.
More from Donegal Daily
- MAYOR WISHES DONEGAL GOOD LUCK FOR BIG GAME The Mayor of Donegal Cllr. Frank McBrearty, on behalf of the elected members, management and staff of Donegal County Council would like to wish Jim McGuinness and the Donegal team all the best for their all Ireland final next Sunday.
Speaking after Monday's Council meeting the Mayor […]
- MAYOR OF DONEGAL CLAIMS GARDAI ARE NOT DOING ENOUGH TO PREVENT BURGLARIES The Mayor of Donegal has said Garda management have serious questions to answer over the burglary epidemic which is sweeping the county.
In a hard-hitting interview with Donegal Daily, Cllr Frank McBrearty said not enough is being done to patrol the border areas where criminals are […]
- INDIAN AMBASSADOR VISITS DONEGAL TO VIEW TOURIST OPPORTUNITIES
Liam Ward Director of Service, Donegal County Council, the Mayor of Donegal, Cllr. Frank McBrearty Jnr are pictured with the Indian Ambassador to Ireland, Mr. Debashish Chakravarti and his wife Mrs. Adity Chakravarti on a visit to the Council Offices in Lifford yesterday […]
- NATALIE TO GET HER ‘KICKS’ AT CIVIC RECEPTION TODAY Carrigans native Natalie McCarron is to receive a civic reception from Donegal County Council today.
Natalie created history by becoming the first ever Irish Lady Professional Kickboxing Champion of the World by winning the ISKA Featherweight title. Natalie is an icon in Kickboxing, […]
- MAYOR MCBREARTY SLAMS POLITICIANS FOR MAKING ‘POLITICAL FOOTBALL’ OUT OF GARDA ISSUE The Mayor of Donegal, Cllr Frank McBrearty, has slammed politicians for blaming the lack of Garda manpower in Donegal for rising crime.
The Labour Party councillor accused Fianna Fail, Sinn Fein and Independent Thomas Pringle of making a politicial football out of the […]
- MAYOR LAUNCHES NATIONAL CONFERENCE ON SPORT AIDING MENTAL HEALTH
‘There is no health without mental health’ was the message at the launch of the National Conference on Sport aiding Mental Health (SAM) which is being hosted by the Mayor of Donegal, Cllr. Frank McBrearty Jnr and Donegal County Council.
The Mayor has identified Sport and Mental […]
- MAYOR SIDES WITH FOOTBALL CLUB IN ROW OVER PROPOSED NEW CLUBHOUSE The Mayor of Donegal Cllr Frank McBrearty Jnr has given his full support to Raphoe FC in their battle to get planning permission for a new clubhouse.
The well-known club were granted planning by Donegal County Council for a state-of-the-art facility but have met with some objections […]
- ‘MILITANT’ PROTESTERS ARE A DISGRACE TO DONEGAL – MAYOR
The Mayor of Donegal has slammed the “militant protests” undertaken by campaigners which he said was bringing shame and negative publicity to the county.
Cllr Frank McBrearty was speaking after protesters broke through Garda barriers and banged on Taoiseach Enda Kenny’s car during […]
- MAYOR AND COUNCIL CONGRATULATE DONEGAL’S TIDY TOWNS COMMITTEES The Mayor of Donegal Cllr. Frank McBrearty, on behalf of Donegal County Council, congratulates all the towns and villages in Co. Donegal who participated in this year's SuperValu Tidy Towns Competition.
Speaking after yesterday's Award Ceremony in the Helix in Dublin, the Mayor paid […]
- MAYOR MCBREARTY – MY THOUGHTS ARE WITH DONEGAL PEOPLE IN BOSTON The Mayor of Donegal, Cllr Frank McBrearty, has said his thoughts and prayers are with all Irish people caught up in the suspected bomb attacks in Boston this evening.
Two people have been confirmed dead and at east 29 are injured in two separate explosions at the finish line of the […]
- COUNCIL TO GIVE DONEGAL TEAM A CIVIC RECEPTION The Mayor of Donegal Cllr. Frank McBrearty Jnr is to propose that Donegal County Council host a civic reception for the Donegal Team, including the Management team and representatives of the County Board.
The Mayor will bring this proposal to the next meeting of the Council in October […]
- MAYOR SAYS HE WILL GO TO AMERICA – BUT ONLY IF COUNCIL WANT HIM TO The Mayor of Donegal said he will go to America for St.Patrick’s Day – if councillors want him to.
Donegal County Council will today debate on whether to approve the overseas travel budget for councillors.
Central to that will be a discussion on the annual decision to send the […]
- INDEPENDENT COUNCILLOR JOHN CAMPBELL CHOSEN AS NEW MAYOR OF COUNTY COUNCIL BREAKING NEWS: Independent councillor John Campbell is to be elected the new chairman of Donegal County Council.
An all-party inclusive agreement will see the Mountcharles man elected to the position.
It had been reported that Sinn Fein’s Jack Murray was to be the new chairman but […]
- MAN UTD AND CELTIC STAR PADDY TO GET CIVIC RECEPTION Former Manchester Utd and Celtic star Paddy Crerand is to be given a civic reception by Donegal County Council.
The soccer star’s mother Sarah ‘Tim’ Boyle was from Gaoth Dobhair and Paddy still spends a lot of time in West Donegal.
Family and friends will gather with Paddy when […]
- HARTE SLAMS FIANNA FAIL ‘HYPOCRITES” OVER ATTEMPTS TO BLOCK NEW MAYOR MCBREARTY Labour Party senator Jimmy Harte has slammed Fianna Fail for being hypocrites over their attempts to block Frank McBrearty from becoming the new Mayor of Donegal.
Senator Harte said he had to watch as Fianna Fail councillors on Letterkenny Town Council controlled the mayor’s office […]
- MAYOR MCBREARTY ATTACKS JUSTICE MINISTER – GARDAI CANNOT INVESTIGATE GARDAI Mayor of Donegal Frank McBrearty has said the Garda Ombudsman must be made completely independent if it is to work.
In a wide-ranging attack on Garda misconduct, the Labour politician also points the finger at his own party and coalition partner Fine Gael for remaining silent on the […]
- MOTORING: ON THE ROAD AGAIN with BRIAN McDAID
Rallying is in Brian McDaid's blood. And in his column this week, he catches up with a certified Donegal Rally legend, James Cullen and finds he's still earning a living behind the wheel!
Cullen for Donegal?
It's 25 years ago this year since Donegal’s greatest rally […]
- CRIME ALERT: GARDAI HUNT GANG USING SCAM TO CON ELDERLY
Gardai are hunting a gang disguised as Gardai and calling on the homes of elderly people pretending to be checking forged money.
The gang have already called to a number of homes in the Glenfin area of the county.
The two man gang, who were dressed in suits, pretended to be […]
- DONEGAL SCHOOL GRANTED €58K FOR NEW ASTRO TURF PITCH
Minister of State for Gaeltacht Affairs Joe McHugh has announced a grant of €57,954 for the Board of Management at Scoil an tSratha Mhóír, Stramore, to help them develop an astro-turf pitch.
Announcing the grant, Minister McHugh said he was making this grant available on the […]
- DONEGAL FAMILY MOURN LOSS OF MOLLY, AGED 109, WHO WAS WORLD’S OLDEST PERSON
A CO Donegal family is mourning the loss of Molly Madden, who was Ireland's oldest citizen and the oldest person in the world.
Molly passed away on Saturday aged 109.
Her son Noel is the well-known publican who owns Madden's Bridge Bar in Bundoran.
The premises are closed […]