Around 30 protestors remained at the LYIT campus to wait for Enda Kenny to leave the building after delivering a speech to the British Irish Parliamentary Assembly.
Scottish, English and Welsh politicians as well as representatives from the Isle of Man, Jersey and the North were all heckled during the protest.
Former Mayor Cllr Noel McBride was also the victim of foul-mouthed abuse.
As Mr Kenny left the building with TDs Dinny McGinley and Joe McHugh, the protestors began shouting abuse.
As the Taoiseach’s driver attempted to drive off, the protestors surrounded his car, some of them banging on the roof and the doors.
Gardai managed to clear the road so the Taoiseach could leave the area.
Earlier around 30 protestors had chased a car thinking Mr Kenny was inside that vehicle, but he was still inside the building delivering his speech.
More from Donegal Daily
- BRITISH-IRISH ASSEMBLY: DUP POLITICIAN LAUNCHES SCATHING ATTACK ON WIND FARMS A DUP politician from the North today launched a scathing attack on wind farms - saying the people of Ireland don't want them. MLA Jim Wells was speaking at the meeting of the British-Irish Parliamentary Assembly which is in session at LYIT in Letterkenny today. A number of […]
- MAYOR TO FLY TO BOSTON TO SELL DONEGAL The Mayor of Donegal is set to fly to Boston next month to promote the county, we can reveal. Donegal and Derry will showcase as hubs of creativity and culture at the annual Golden Bridges events in Boston, hosted by the Irish Echo newspaper and slated for November 10-11. Among the […]
- ‘MILITANT’ PROTESTERS ARE A DISGRACE TO DONEGAL – MAYOR The Mayor of Donegal has slammed the “militant protests” undertaken by campaigners which he said was bringing shame and negative publicity to the county. Cllr Frank McBrearty was speaking after protesters broke through Garda barriers and banged on Taoiseach Enda Kenny’s car during […]
- ANGER AS ANTI-AUSTERITY CAMPAIGNERS PLAN PROTEST AT ‘BIGGEST ADVERT FOR DONEGAL IN YEARS’ BUSINESS and political leaders have expressed their 'dismay' at plans by anti-austerity campaigners to picket 'the greatest free advert Donegal has ever had.' Leading politicians from England, Scotland, Wales and the North will visit and stay in Letterkenny on Monday and Tuesday as […]
- DONEGAL MAN’S ‘MUCKISH’ PUB GETTING RAVE REVIEWS IN TORONTO A CO Donegal man is winning rave reviews for his pub in Toronto - named after a piece of home. Ards native John McFadden has been gone from these shores for almost 40 years. And according to The Toronto Star this week, John is one of the few publicans offering a real Irish pub […]
- GOING TO THE BIG APPLE! MAYOR TO VISIT NEW YORK ON ST PATRICK’S DAY Exclusive: MAYOR Frank McBrearty is to travel to New York for St Patrick's Day after admitting that his opposition to his predecessors going to America was "a mistake." The Mayor, his Deputy, a councillor and the County Manager will all travel to the States next month as an official […]
- FINE GAEL TO ADD WOMAN TO TICKET IN DONEGAL BUT WHAT ABOUT HARTE? Fine Gael has agreed to add four female candidates to its general election ticket to ensure it meets gender quotas - one of them from Co Donegal. The Irish Times today reports that the party’s executive council also agreed to add two more female candidates in Cork North Central […]
- FIANNA FÁIL TELL JAMES PAT McDAID: ‘YOU’RE NOT RUNNING’ FIANNA FÁIL have told Cllr James Pat McDaid that he's not going to be added to the election ticket for the General Election. Taoiseach Enda Kenny is expected to announce the date for the election in two weeks' time. Fianna Fail - which had its Ard Fheis this weekend - sees a […]
- TD DOHERTY IN TV DEBATE CLASH WITH GOVERNMENT MINISTER DONEGAL TD Pearse Doherty has clashed with a Fine Gael Minister over property tax. Brian Hayes and the Sinn Fein TD spoke over each other repeatedly on RTE1's The Frontline programme as they debated the cuts and taxes in this week's Budget. At one stage Deputy Hayes - Minister of […]
- DONEGAL TD DEMANDS TASK FORCE AS CAR INSURANCE RISES ANOTHER 30 PER CENT DONEGAL TD Charlie McConalogue has described the Governments response to soaring motor insurance costs as "totally inadequate". The Donegal TD was speaking after the Tánaiste refused to commit to taking any proposed practical measures to reverse the increase in premiums during […]
- ENDA KENNY GIVES DONEGAL SINN FEIN LETTER ‘GUARANTEEING’ THEM SUPPORT FOR A5 MOTORWAY FINE GAEL leader Enda Kenny has given Sinn Fein in Donegal a letter guaranteeing them his commitment on the A5 dual carriageway project – if his party gets into Government. The letter was sent to Donegal resident and West Tyrone MP Pat Doherty. In the letter Deputy Kenny assures […]
- McCONALOGUE ACCUSES TAOISEACH OVER BANK DEBT STRATEGY Donegal North East Fianna Fáil TD Charlie McConalogue has expressed grave concern at the Government’s refusal to outline details of its strategy on a renegotiation of Irish bank debt. Deputy McConalogue was commenting after the Taoiseach Enda Kenny repeatedly refused to answer […]
- DDTV VIDEO: PROTESTORS LEFT RED-FACED OVER CLAIMS TAOISEACH ‘SNEAKED’ OUT OF LETTERKENNY DDTV VIDEO: ANTI-austerity campaigners who followed the 'wrong car' out of LYIT yesterday were left red-faced last night after issuing a press statement claiming Taoiseach Enda Kenny had 'sneaked' away from Donegal. Can't Pay Won't Pay protestors left the […]
- ANTI-AUSTERITY CAMPAIGNERS SLAM MAYOR BUT DISTANCE THEMSELVES FROM BEHAVIOUR OF ‘MINORITY’ CAMPAIGNERS who picketed a visit to Donegal by the Taoiseach Enda Kenny on Monday have hit back at claims by the Mayor of Donegal that they are 'militants' but have also distanced themselves from a 'minority' who were there. In a joint statement, Donegal Action Against Austerity and […]
- MacLOCHLAINN IN TV3 DUEL WITH FINE GAEL TD DONEGAL North East Deputy Padraig MacLochlainn was involved in a political duel with a Fine Gael TD on TV3 last night. Deputy MacLochlainn praised Limerick TD Kieran O'Donnell on Tonight with Vincent Browne for getting proposed cuts to disability payments reviewed. Deputy O'Donnell […]
- DONEGAL YOUTH COUNCIL NOMINATE NEW MAYOR Donegal Youth Council have voted in Shane Hegarty as the new Mayor who will lead the group over the coming year. Shane Hegarty, from Stranorlar is a student at St Columba's College and will be the chairperson of the Youth Council for the coming 12 months, ably assisted by Deputy […]
- MCMONAGLE ELECTED AS NEW MAYOR OF LETTERKENNY MUNICIPAL DISTRICT Sinn Féin Cllr Gerry McMonagle has been elected the new Mayor of the Letterkenny Municipal District. The popular politician replaces Independent councillor Michael McBride as the new Mayor of Letterkenny. McMonagle was delighted to be elected at the convention process tonight […]
- IAN McGARVEY TO BECOME IRELAND’S OLDEST MAYOR TODAY INDEPENDENT councillor Ian McGarvey will become Mayor of Donegal this evening, taking over the chain of office from Frank McBrearty - as we reported last month. Independent Michael McBride will become the Deputy Mayor. Fianna Fail will nominate Sean McEniff for the top job, but […]
- FIANNA FAIL’S SEAN McENIFF TO RUN FOR MAYOR AGAINST IAN McGARVEY FIANNA FAIL, excluded from the powersharing pact on Donegal County Council, is to field its own candidate for Mayor next Monday. Independent councillor Ian McGarvey is widely accepted to be installed as the first citizen of the county with another independent, Michael McBride, as his […]
- €5,000 FINES FOR SELLING SMOKY COAL IN LETTERKENNY FROM MAY 1ST MERCHANTS in Letterkenny face fines of up to €5,000 from May 1st if they sell smoky coal, Donegal County Council was told today. Shops selling smoky coal also face hefty €1k on the spot penalties. The information was given to Cllr Michael McBride who wants the council to ask […]