BREAKING NEWS: The death has taken place of renowned Donegal politician and businessman Bernard McGlinchey.
The Fianna Fail stalwart, who served as a Senator between 1961 and 1981, was 80 years old.
Mr McGlinchey served at almost every level of public life including being a Donegal County Councillor and Letterkenny Urban District Councillor.
He stood for election to the Dail in 1973, 1981 and 1982 but was unsuccessful each time.
However Mr McGlinchey’s contribution to local life in Co Donegal is where his huge contribution will always be remembered.
From Covehill in Letterkenny, Mr McGlinchey was involved in many committees including the first committee to bring a swimming pool to Letterkenny.
He was also a member of the North Western Health Board for many years.
He continues to hold the record for the longest speech in Seanad Eireann having debated an issue for more than 12 hours.
He was also instrumental in the mentoring of former Donegal Minster Dr Jim McDaid.
Among the many honours he received over his lifetime was the naming of Letterkenny’s Town Park after the esteemed politician.
An astute businessman, Mr McGlinchey founded the Golden Grill Nightclub which was a huge part of the social fabric of Donegal for many decades.
Mr McGlinchey passed away this evening at his home in Blue Banks, Kilmacrennan.
More from Donegal Daily
- LARGE ATTENDANCE EXPECTED AT FUNERAL OF BERNARD MCGLINCHEY TODAY A large attendance including many people from the political world are expected to attend the funeral of former Senator Bernard McGlinchey.
The 80 year old Fianna Fail stalwart died at his home at Blue Banks, Kilmacrennan on Thursday evening.
He will be buried at the family plot in […]
- BERNARD MCGLINCHEY TO BE BURIED ON SUNDAY A huge attendance is expected at the funeral of the late Bernard McGlinchey.
The former FIanna Fail Senator, who died last night aged 80, will be buried following 12 noon funeral mass at St Eunan’s Cathedral this Sunday.
He is reposing at the Eternal Light Chapel of Rest, Mountain […]
- POLITICAL GIANT BERNARD MCGLINCHEY LAID TO REST – PICTURE SPECIAL
A large attendance said a final farewell to one of Donegal’s best known political figures of modern times today.
Bernard McGlinchey received a fitting send-off as a packed St Eunan’s Cathedral remembered a gifted public representative and businessman.
Among those who turned up […]
- SADNESS AT DEATH OF DONEGAL GAA LEGEND JIM ‘THE NATCH’ GALLAGHER THERE is great sadness in Co Donegal today after the family of GAA legend Jim 'The Natch' Gallagher announced that he has died.
Mr Gallagher, who was 84, passed away earlier today at Sligo General Hospital.
He lost his wife Eithne, in a tragic road accident at Cliffoney, Co. Sligo, […]
- DEATH OF FORMER COUNTY COUNCILLOR The death has taken place of former county councillor and school principal Paddy Kelly from Falcarragh.
Mr Kelly was a member of Independent Fianna Fail who served with distinction for many years and was a major supporter of the Blaney movement.
He successfully contested the […]
- HEARTACHE AS RESPECTED DONEGAL MOTOR DEALER DIES IN ACCIDENT TRIBUTES are being paid to a leading Donegal businessman who died after a freak accident at his premises today.
Daniel 'Dan' McGinty - owner of DMG Motors - died on his way to hospital by ambulance.
It's understood he was fatally injured after a fall at his premises at Clar, […]
- SADNESS AT SUDDEN DEATH OF FORMER DONEGAL GAA GREAT There has been much sadness this morning at the sudden death of former Donegal GAA great John Hannigan.
John, who was in his 70s, was a loyal servant to both his club St Eunans in Letterkenny and to Donegal whom he played with for many years in the 1960s and 1970s.
John was a nurse […]
- POST MORTEM ON TORY UNABLE TO FIND A CAUSE OF DEATH BREAKING NEWS: A post mortem into the death of tragic Letterkenny girl Tory Johnston has been unable to find a cause of death.
The post mortem was carried out this afternoon by assistant State Pathologist Dr Michael Curtis.
Garda Inspector Pat O'Donnell has confirmed to Donegal […]
- TRIBUTES FLOW IN AFTER DEATH OF ONE OF DONEGAL’S BEST-KNOWN BUSINESSMEN Tributes have been flowing in for one of Donegal’s best-known businessmen, Jim White, who passed away last night.
The well-known hotelier, who was 75, owned a string of hotels including the Abbey and the Central in Donegal Town.
Mr White was also a Fine Gael TD having been […]
- BODY FOUND IN DRAIN IS BELIEVED TO BE ACCIDENTAL DEATH The body of a man was discovered in a drain at the side of a road at Ballinacarrigh, Ballintra at 10am this morning.
The was discovered a couple of miles from an accident which claimed the life of a farmer also in Ballintra this morning.
At first there was some confusion as to both […]
- STEVIE McCLOSKEY: DEATH NOT SUSPICIOUS
THE death of Stephen McCloskey in Co Donegal is not suspicious, Gardaí have said.
Officers had sealed off the scene of his death near Bridgend overnight as investigations continued.
However this evening a Garda spokesman said that as a result of a post mortem they were no […]
- GARDAI APPEAL FOR BAR PATRONS TO COME FORWARD FOLLOWING TRAGIC DEAN’S DEATH Gardai have appealed to anybody who may have witnessed an incident in a Ballybofey bar the night before a young man died to contact them.
Dean Lafferty, 18, died at his home at Admiran Park on February 17th last.
The talented artist is believed to have been drinking in the bar […]
- HUNDREDS SAY FAREWELL TO TRAGIC INISHOWEN TEENAGER KILLED IN CRASH
The funeral has taken place of the latest young man killed on Donegal's roads.
A large crowd turned out to say a final farewell to young Inishowen teenager Marty Strain.
Marty, 19, from Brae Road, Burnfoot, was killed in the early hours of Sunday morning last when the car […]
- TRAGIC CRASH TEEN DIED CLOSE TO WHERE PAL PERISHED JUST WEEKS AGO
The young man who was killed in a road crash earlier today, died a short distance from where his friend also perished just a few weeks ago.
Marty Strain was a passenger in a car which crashed at Burnfoot.
The 19 year old, from Brae Road, Burnfoot, was killed instantly and […]
- SHOCK AT SUDDEN DEATH OF TRUE DONEGAL MAN JOHN McCREADIE
The entire community is in shock at the sudden death of Mr. John McCreadie, a long time member of Donegal Historical Society, and promoter of Irish Culture and language.
He was just 61.
The Glenvar native was highly acclaimed throughout Donegal as he was involved in various […]
- SADNESS AT SUDDEN PASSING OF WELL-KNOWN DONEGAL BAR OWNER There is widespread sadness across the county following the sudden death of one of Donegal's best known publicans.
John Slevin, owner of Biddy O'Barnes bar in Barnesmore Gap, was 71.
He is survived by his wife Kate, daughter Melissa and sons Darrell and Aaron.
He will be laid to […]
- DONEGAL MAN HUGHIE FINDS A PEACEFUL RESTING PLACE AFTER A LIFETIME OF TRAVELING Sadly he never quite made it home to his native Donegal.
We recently ran an article on Fanad man Hughie McElwee and how, despite leaving his native Donegal in 1953 to travel the world, never forgot his roots in Ballyheerin.
Hughie passed away this week aged 94 leaving nothing […]
- GARDAI MAKE PROGRESS IN TRAGIC TORY INVESTIGATION AFTER NIGHTCLUB APPEAL Gardai have confirmed they have made significant progress into the unexplained death of teenager Tory Johnston.
The 17 year old Leaving Cert pupil collapsed and died after attending the Voodoo nightclub in Letterkenny in the early hours of Wednesday morning last.
Tory suffered […]
- TRAGIC DECLAN LED TO HIS FINAL RESTING PLACE
Two large trucks have led tragic Declan Holian to his final resting place today.
The much-loved 30 year old father-of-one was killed instantly when his truck was
in collision with another truck in Co Monaghan on Monday morning last.
Both drivers were killed instantly in the […]
- GARDAI RULE OUT FOUL PLAY IN FALCARRAGH DEATH Gardai have ruled out foul play in what was thought to be the suspicious death of a man in Falcarragh.
The body of the man, who was in his 60s, was found outside his home on Friday night.
A pathologist examined the body yesterday and carried out a post mortem.
However a Garda […]