BREAKING NEWS: The death has taken place of renowned Donegal politician and businessman Bernard McGlinchey.
The Fianna Fail stalwart, who served as a Senator between 1961 and 1981, was 80 years old.
Mr McGlinchey served at almost every level of public life including being a Donegal County Councillor and Letterkenny Urban District Councillor.
He stood for election to the Dail in 1973, 1981 and 1982 but was unsuccessful each time.
However Mr McGlinchey’s contribution to local life in Co Donegal is where his huge contribution will always be remembered.
From Covehill in Letterkenny, Mr McGlinchey was involved in many committees including the first committee to bring a swimming pool to Letterkenny.
He was also a member of the North Western Health Board for many years.
He continues to hold the record for the longest speech in Seanad Eireann having debated an issue for more than 12 hours.
He was also instrumental in the mentoring of former Donegal Minster Dr Jim McDaid.
Among the many honours he received over his lifetime was the naming of Letterkenny’s Town Park after the esteemed politician.
An astute businessman, Mr McGlinchey founded the Golden Grill Nightclub which was a huge part of the social fabric of Donegal for many decades.
Mr McGlinchey passed away this evening at his home in Blue Banks, Kilmacrennan.
More from Donegal Daily
- TRIBUTES FLOW IN FOR LATE POLITICAL GIANT BERNARD MCGLINCHEY The Fianna Fail party whip in Donegal, Cllr Ciaran Brogan, has led tributes to the late Bernard McGlinchey.
The political giant, who spent 50 years in local and national politics, passed away at his home in Blue Banks, Kilmacrennan last night aged 80 years.
Cllr Brogan said he […]
- LARGE ATTENDANCE EXPECTED AT FUNERAL OF BERNARD MCGLINCHEY TODAY A large attendance including many people from the political world are expected to attend the funeral of former Senator Bernard McGlinchey.
The 80 year old Fianna Fail stalwart died at his home at Blue Banks, Kilmacrennan on Thursday evening.
He will be buried at the family plot in […]
- BERNARD MCGLINCHEY TO BE BURIED ON SUNDAY A huge attendance is expected at the funeral of the late Bernard McGlinchey.
The former FIanna Fail Senator, who died last night aged 80, will be buried following 12 noon funeral mass at St Eunan’s Cathedral this Sunday.
He is reposing at the Eternal Light Chapel of Rest, Mountain […]
- POLITICAL GIANT BERNARD MCGLINCHEY LAID TO REST – PICTURE SPECIAL
A large attendance said a final farewell to one of Donegal’s best known political figures of modern times today.
Bernard McGlinchey received a fitting send-off as a packed St Eunan’s Cathedral remembered a gifted public representative and businessman.
Among those who turned up […]
- SADNESS AT DEATH OF DONEGAL GAA LEGEND JIM ‘THE NATCH’ GALLAGHER THERE is great sadness in Co Donegal today after the family of GAA legend Jim 'The Natch' Gallagher announced that he has died.
Mr Gallagher, who was 84, passed away earlier today at Sligo General Hospital.
He lost his wife Eithne, in a tragic road accident at Cliffoney, Co. Sligo, […]
- HEARTACHE AS MUCH-LOVED PENSIONER FOUND DEAD AT DONEGAL HOTEL SWIMMING POOL GARDAI have launched an investigation after the death of a woman at a hotel.
The pensioner was found dead in the pool area at Jackson's Hotel in Ballybofey on Wednesday.
Staff and onlookers went to her aid but she was later pronounced dead at the scene despite their valiant […]
- SADNESS AT DEATH OF NOTED COUNCILLOR TADHG CULBERT The death has taken place of well-known Letterkenny Town Councillor Tadhg Culbert.
Mr Culbert, an employee at An Post, passed away earlier today at the Donegal Hospice.
He had been ill for some time.
Mr Culbert, who was originally from Limerick Junction in Tipperary, came to […]
- HSE TO PROVIDE SUPPORT FOLLOWING TRAGIC AND UNEXPECTED DRUG DEATH The HSE has been notified of a tragic unexpected death in Donegal; the HSE extends its deepest sympathies to the family and friends of the deceased.
Currently HSE staff are liaising with the families in relation to this incident and all supports are being made available to provide […]
- TWIN TOWNS IN MOURNING AFTER SHOCKING DEATH OF POPULAR TEENAGER THE Twin Towns of Ballybofey and Stranorlar are in mourning after the shocking death of a very popular young man.
Dean Lafferty, who was just 18, was pronounced dead last night.
The circumstances surrounding his death at Admiran Park in Stranorlar are being investigated.
- DANIEL: WE ARE SO SAD AT DEATH OF CILLA BLACK SINGER DANIEL O'DONNELL has expressed his sadness at the death of singer and TV star Cilla Black.
Daniel and his wife Majella said the news of the death of the 72-year-old at her home in Spain was a shock.
"We were saddened to hear of the death of our good friend Cilla Black. May […]
- HEARTACHE AS RESPECTED DONEGAL MOTOR DEALER DIES IN ACCIDENT TRIBUTES are being paid to a leading Donegal businessman who died after a freak accident at his premises today.
Daniel 'Dan' McGinty - owner of DMG Motors - died on his way to hospital by ambulance.
It's understood he was fatally injured after a fall at his premises at Clar, […]
- SADNESS AT SUDDEN DEATH OF FORMER DONEGAL GAA GREAT There has been much sadness this morning at the sudden death of former Donegal GAA great John Hannigan.
John, who was in his 70s, was a loyal servant to both his club St Eunans in Letterkenny and to Donegal whom he played with for many years in the 1960s and 1970s.
John was a nurse […]
- GARDAI RECEIVE ‘USEFUL INFORMATION’ AFTER APPEAL IN DEATH PROBE Gardai investigating the death of a Co Donegal father-of-four say they have received “useful information” from the public after an appeal for witnesses.
Investigators would not elaborate on the nature of the information following the death of Kieran Callaghan.
- POST MORTEM ON TORY UNABLE TO FIND A CAUSE OF DEATH BREAKING NEWS: A post mortem into the death of tragic Letterkenny girl Tory Johnston has been unable to find a cause of death.
The post mortem was carried out this afternoon by assistant State Pathologist Dr Michael Curtis.
Garda Inspector Pat O'Donnell has confirmed to Donegal […]
- DONEGAL MUSICIAN DIED FROM FALL JUST YARDS FROM HIS HOME A well-known Donegal musician died after falling just metres from the apartment where he lived.
Frank Orrell (67) was found unconscious at the bottom of steps to his apartment at 15 Main Street in Dungloe.
The last hours of Mr Orrell's life was recalled at an inquest in […]
- TRAGIC TOMAS TO BE LAID TO REST THIS SUNDAY There will be heart-breaking scenes this Sunday when tragic Ardara man Tomas Maguire will be buried in his hometown.
The 24 year old was killed following a freak traffic accident in Australia on Monday week last.
A huge outpouring of grief in recent days across the county […]
- HEARTBREAKING TRIBUTES TO ‘YOUNG GENTLEMAN’ KILLED IN FISH FACTORY ACCIDENT THE communities of Inver and Killybegs are in mourning after the death of Kara McCole, the 21-year-old man killed in a fish factory accident.
Mr McCole was a hugely popular young man from Inver where his family has close links with the local St Naul's GAA club.
The Health and […]
- DONEGAL FARMER CRUSHED TO DEATH IN FREAK ACCIDENT An elderly farmer was killed in a freak accident at his farm yesterday.
The farmer, 79, was working on his farm at Moville, on the Inishowen Peninsula when the accident happened.
It is understood his tractor rolled back and crushed him against a concrete wall.
The man, named […]
- TRIBUTES FLOW IN AFTER DEATH OF ONE OF DONEGAL’S BEST-KNOWN BUSINESSMEN Tributes have been flowing in for one of Donegal’s best-known businessmen, Jim White, who passed away last night.
The well-known hotelier, who was 75, owned a string of hotels including the Abbey and the Central in Donegal Town.
Mr White was also a Fine Gael TD having been […]
- BOOK OF CONDOLENCES OPENED TO SERGEANT MICK
A BOOK of condolences has opened to Sgt Mick Galvin at Ballyshannon Garda Station.
Garda Commissioner Noirin O'Sullivan signed it yesterday during a private meeting with gardai left grieving by the death of the popular sergeant.
Sgt Galvin took his own life a week ago last […]