In a lengthy statement Buncrana Against Irish Water says the online abuse against them is unfair and unwarranted; and that the agreement was mandated by the public.
Comments threatening violence have been left on the Facebook pages of Donegal Water Warriors and several other groups.
This is the Buncrana Against Irish Water statement in full:
BRIEF EXPLANATION OF MAIN EVENTS LEADING TO AGREEMENT WITH JOHN GILDEA, MBC Builders
1. In January Buncrana Against Irish Water became aware of the development of an Irish Water meter installation programme that had successfully taken place in Moneymore Co. Louth.
2. The architects of this agreement came to Buncrana and explained how they achieved a peaceful resolution between the water meter installation contractors and the residents of six housing estates in Moneymore.
3. At the meeting at the Lake of Shadows hotel, there was an overwhelming show of hands from over 250 people (which included representatives from different groups) to replicate this system. We therefore had a mandate to meet the contractors to discuss putting the plan into operation. We contacted the Garda, Irish Water, GMC Sierra Ltd and politicians.
ALL EFFORTS WERE PUT IN THE PUBLIC DOMIAN ie: www.buncranatogether.com AND FACEBOOK
4. On the 25th May, 2015 James Quigley received an e mail from Councillor Jack Murray Sinn Fein saying John Gildea (GMC Sierra Contractor) would like to talk to the anti water charges groups in Inishowen. Groups in Inishowen were informed and asked to reply. There was dissention from Inishowen Against Water Charges after all that had been achieved at the Lake Of Shadows meeting and the mandate given by the people.
5. Buncrana Against Water Charges wished to fulfil the mandate and met the contractor on the 16th July. A similar arrangement to Moneymore was agreed upon. Mr James Quigley was appointed spokesman.
6. Vitriolic statements and insults then appeared on Facebook from Donegal Water Warriors (Letterkenny) and Inishowen Against Water Charges. Here are a few of them:
‘What the f—-? So Inishowen ventured into talks with meter installers.. this has to be bullshit and this James guy is a complete arse’
and more sinister;
‘Cheers James, lol, I’ll split ye next time I see ye with that meter…grrrrrr’
There is a plethora of disgraceful insults, too many to be seen here.
7. It would appear that Inishowen Against Water Charges caved in and abandoned the agreement and mandate given at the Lake of Shadows hotel under pressure and influence from people outside of Inishowen.
THIS AGREEMENT APPLIES ONLY TO THE INISHOWEN PENINSULA.
IF YOU HAVE READ THIS STATEMENT AND WISH TO EXAMINE IN DETAIL ALL MEETINGS, AGREEMENTS (AND CONTENT OF AGREEMENT) DISCUSSIONS, E MAILS, ABUSIVE COMMENTS…….EVERYTHING IS IN THE PUBLIC ARENA PLEASE CLICK ON THE FOLLOWING LINK