The Bluestack Challenge is taking place on Saturday June 10th.
The challenge will start in Ardara and finish in the Bluestack Centre, Drimarone.
This is a sponsored hill-walk and usually attracts some 400 walkers who fundraise for People With Special Needs in County Donegal.
Anyone can sign up to take the challenge on www.blu.ie or call into or ring the Bluestack Special Needs Foundation Office in the Glebe Donegal Town for an application form. Telephone Numbers: 074 97 40828 or Mobile 087 1226612 Closing date for applications is Friday 26th May.
The last Bluestack Challenge took place in June 2015.Funds raised in the 2015 Challenge went directly into the operational arm of the Bluestack Challenge, The Bluestack Special Needs Foundation.
This funding was used to run a range of programmes and other supports directly under the auspices of the Bluestack Special Needs Foundation. The funding also supported a number of other organisations that work with people with additional and special needs, such as:
1. Social Farming in Carndonagh Adult Day Care Centre
2. Summer Camp Attendance: Financial Support given to Children attending camps based in Carrick, Ballyshannon and Donegal Town.
3. New information technology supports were put in place in two National Schools – Inver and Ballyshannon
4. Financial Support Donation to two “Comfort Funds” in Day Centres in both Killybegs and Mountcharles.
5. Financial Support to run the Bluestack Special Needs Foundation Facility and Programmes:
The Foundation has as its core aim to “Enhance the Lives of People with Additional Needs”. As an organisation that receives no government funding this aim would simply not be possible without the funds raised through the Bluestack Challenge.
The Bluestack Special Needs Foundation works with families who have dependants with physical, sensory and intellectual disabilities, regardless of whether the disability results in profound, moderate or mild additional needs. This work could not happen without a successful Bluestack Challenge Walk.
We fundamentally offer practical advice, emotional support and a range of programmes such as:
• The Saturday Club 10.30-12.30 Each Saturday
• Monthly Teen Disco – Last Friday of Each Month 7-9pm
• Low Cost Counselling – Available at €35 per session,
• Teen Youth Club – Every Second Thursday7-9pm
• Parent Support Network – Second Tuesday of every month 7-9pm
• Information Dissemination – Available during office hours
• Resource Library
• Advocacy – Available during office hours
• Applied Behavioural Analysis Information and supports
• Lobbying for Equality – ongoing
• A Listening Ear – Always available.
• Full disabled toilet and shower facilities – Available during office hours or by appointment • Donegal Town Community Garden (The Garden Gnomes Project)
The centre is also used by a number of other service providers who offer support to families in the community such as:
• IWA Irish Wheelchair Association
• ABI Acquired Brain Injury
• DETB Donegal Education and Training Board • Donegal Down Syndrome
• TUSLA Child and Family Agency
• A number of other organisations on a room hire basis
The Bluestack Special Needs Foundation was created out of a desire to see adequate service provision for families that would empower each to lead a fully inclusive life in the community. A life where each person is offered the opportunity to reach their full potential. None of this would happen without a dedicated team of volunteers and staff all supported through funds raised by the Bluestack Challenge.
A successful fundraising day on June 10th will ensure that the positive and meaningful differences currently being made in the lives of people with special needs and their families continue into the future.
This difference can only come about through the efforts of our walkers, those who sponsor them, the wider community of individuals, businesses, organisations and indeed all who support, volunteer and help to make the Bluestack Challenge a success.
This fundraising effort is vital to the people in our communities who face challenges every day. All of this incredible work would not have been achieved without your backing over the past fifteen years. On Behalf of our families, WE THANK YOU! Please continue to support the Bluestack Challenge in 2017.
Register today on www.blu.ie or call the Bluestack Foundation office on 0749740828 or Mobile 087 1226612 for an application formTags: