Man was making a nuisance of himself in Moville

May 24, 2018

An Inishowen man had two public order charges against him struck out in court after he admitted making a nuisance of himself.

Sean Doherty, 32, from Carrowmore, Gleneely, was charged with disorderly conduct and intoxication at Annies Bar, Main Street, Moville on April 23, last year when he appeared before Carn District Court.

Garda Inspector David Murphy told the court that Garda Stephen Canning was on duty at Moville Garda Station when he received a report of a person making a nuisance of himself in the Square, Moville.

Insp. Murphy said when Garda Canning located the man, Mr. Doherty, he was in Annies Bar where he was being obstructive to Gardaí and failed to co-operate.

He was cautioned and arrested, with Insp. Murphy adding that he was put into handcuffs due to the level of obstruction.

The court heard Doherty was taken to Letterkenny Garda Station where he was given two fixed penalty notices, which were not paid.

Defence solicitor Ciaran MacLochlainn said Mr. Doherty had no previous convictions, was single and lived at home with his mother. However, he said he worked during the week as a plasterer in Dublin and was hard working.

But he said on this occasion Mr. Doherty had ‘too much to drink’ and was not able to control himself due to his intoxication.

“It’s probably not the worst case you have heard,” Mr. MacLochlainn said to Judge Paul Kelly.

“He is willing to pay a charitable donation and hopes to avoid a conviction.”

Judge Kelly agreed that it ‘probably wasn’t the worst case’ but ordered him to pay to pay €150 to St. Vincent de Paul. He said if he did this then he would strike out the charges against him and leave him without a criminal record.

Mr. Doherty complied with the order that day and paid the monies to SVP. Judge Kelly struck out the charges.


Tags:

LEAVE A COMMENT

What’s new from Donegal Daily

Donegal Daily is delighted to announce a brand new service for our diaspora readers around the globe.

The new service, which will begin in January, will tell the story of how Donegal people are leading the way from Glasgow to New York and from Sydney to Singapore.

We will still be bringing you the best local news and sport the moment it breaks from back home but we will also be letting you know how Donegal people around the globe are getting on.

So watch this space and thank you for your continued support for Donegal’s biggest news and sports website.

error: Content is protected