Works are commencing on the replacement of Tirchonaill Street Bridge in Donegal Town in the coming days following the appointment of contractors L & M Keating Ltd.
The works will begin on 20th August 2018 and are expected to be completed early 2019. The current contract value for the works is €924,448.60.
The Tirchonaill Street Bridge was originally constructed in 1895, and then in 1920 the current structure was constructed. The bridge is a four span steel bridge spanning the River Eske. Over the years, maintenance works were carried out to the bridge but due to the age of the bridge the nature of the steel structure the bridge has deteriorated to the extent that it currently has a 3.5 tonne weight restriction and is in much need of a replacement.
Back Row: L-R Cllr Niamh Kennedy, Mark Sweeney, Area Manager Roads & Transportation Donegal County Council, Barry Doherty, L & M Keating (Contractor), Francis Cleary – L & M Keating (Contractor), Peter Kennedy , Resident Engineer, Roughan & O’Donovan (Consulting Engineers) & Cllr John Campbell.
Front Row – L-R: Patrick Grennan, Roughan & O’Donovan (Consulting Engineers), Cllr Tom Connaghan, Lorcan Hoyne L & M Keating (Contractor), Cahal Moss, Road Design Office (Donegal County Council), Cllr Michael Naughton, Cathaoirleach Donegal MD.
In February 2017, a delegation from the Donegal Municipal District met with Shane Ross, Minister of Transport, Tourism and Sport, to seek specific funding for the much needed bridge replacement works at Tirchonaill Bridge. The Minister recognised the need for the works and specific funding was secured and this allowed Donegal Council to proceed with the works.
The Council then arranged for Roughan & O’Donovan Consulting Engineers to prepare the necessary tender documents and in early 2018 tenders were received from a number of contractors who were interested in carrying out the works.
Tender assessments were carried out and L & M Keating Ltd is the Contractor now appointed to carry out the works.
The works will involve the following:
– Implementing road closures and traffic management measures to facilitate the works and the flow of traffic around the works.
– The demolition of the existing bridge steel superstructure.
– The cleaning/repair and re-pointing of the existing substructure.
– Works to the existing substructure to allow the construction of the replacement steel and concrete composite bridge superstructure.
– Construction of replica bridge parapets to match the existing steel riveted panels.
– Roadworks on the bridge and approaches.
– The temporary and permanent diversion of services and associated new ducting and chambers.
– Bridge deck waterproofing.
– Road, footpath, and substructure drainage and ducting works.
The Contractor has indicated their intention to commence works on site on 20th August 2018 and is expecting to have works completed early next year.
Road closures and traffic management measures will take effect on Monday 27th August 2018.
Donegal County Council wish to apologise in advance for any inconvenience the closures may cause and ask for members of the public to abide by the traffic management measures when implemented so as to help facilitate traffic flows around the works site.
Every effort will be made to expedite the works and re-open the roads as soon as possible.