Donegal Action for Cancer Care is welcoming the announcement from Minister Simon Harris TD that the Short Stay at Letterkenny Hospital will now re-open.
Betty Holmes said DACC like others have also worked very hard all year for the re-opening of the Short Stay Ward, are delighted and hope it will happen quickly.
However, she said there are very many more issues affecting Letterkenny Hospital and they must also be worked hard to secure.
“It is very important that the other key major issues that affect Letterkenny University Hospital are also addressed asap. This is not the time to sit back, we need our hospital to be equipped to meet the needs of Donegal sick people Remember the DACC map and where we are at geographically.”
Here are some of those urgent matters that DACC have kept to the fore with the Minister for Health, the Dept. of Health, The NCCP, Saolta University Hospital Group and Donegal Oireachtas Members that also need immediate action.
Regarding Letterkenny University Hospital, the group has demanded:
• Second Breast Surgeon post at LUH must NOW be made a Permanent Post ASAP
• Donegal Breast Check patients should not have to go to Galway for their surgery now we have 2 Breast Surgeons at LUH & Radiotherapy is at Altnagelvin Hospital.
• Commissioning of Maternity theatre – service quality improvement and creates physical capacity in main theatres.
• Creation of an Acute Stroke Unit – requires additional staff and re-designation of existing beds.
• Appointment of 2 Consultant Urologists and associated staff to re-instate in-house service. Donegal Prostate Cancer patients should not have to travel to Galway when we have LUH & Radiotherapy at the North West Cancer Centre.
• Commissioning of new Renal Dialysis Unit – currently shelled out building exists.
• Continued Consultant Expansion.
• Increased allocation of trainee NCHDs posts especially at SpR level as LUH currently are only allocated 5 SpR posts across all departments in the hospital (Surgery, Anaesthetics and Medicine).
• How much of the 5 million euro announced by Minister Harris on the 12th March to help with the overcrowding in our hospitals has come to Donegal in extra funds that will cover the cost of home care packages, home help hours and transitional care beds. And we hope that this is to our Community Hospitals not Private ones.
• How will LUH very serious Waiting Lists for surgery & appointments be addressed? More investment required NOW. NOT to Private Hospitals & Clinics!
• When will the review of car parking charges at the country’s hospitals take place as announced by Minister Harris on the 12th March? Has it?
• Why has Letterkenny University Hospital to depend on a percentage from Euro Car parks to provide Maintenance Work at LUH?
DACC will continue to work hard, voluntary & unpaid as we have for 13.5 years…so while the short stay ward is welcome news let’s not take our eyes of the bigger picture please.