Man jailed for year after sexual assault in caravan

December 13, 2018

A man who pleaded guilty to sexually assaulting a female at a caravan at Kinnegar, Rathmullan has been jailed for one year.

The man, who cannot be named to protect the identity of the victim, admitted the assault which happened on June 11th, 2016.

Sentencing the man, Judge John Aylmer said the man has destroyed his family relationship irreversibly and particularly with the victim.

He added that the man was considered a good family man but did have an issue with alcohol.

Retired detective Garda Bosco Gallagher told Letterkenny Circuit Court he had arrested the man after the female told another family member about the assault.

The court heard how the accused and the victim were lying on a bed in the caravan when the man touched her inappropriately.

The female said she initially pretended to be asleep but as the man continued to touch her she jumped off the bed.

He apologised but then asked her to come and lie down beside him again but she refused.

The court was told that the man had been already punished by his family who wanted nothing to do with him since the incident.

His barrister added that his client was deeply ashamed of what he had done and that he is experiencing daily punishment on a daily basis inside his own head and within his family dynamic.

The man acknowledged that the sexual assault had happened and that he is sorry about it, added his barrister.

Judge Aylmer said he put the offence in the mid-range of such offences and that it merited a sentence of three years in jail.

However, he said the man had pleaded guilty at an early stage and is ashamed of his actions and will now appear on the sex offenders register.

He sentenced the man to two years in prison but suspended the final 12 months of the sentence and ordered him to abstain from alcohol and drugs and to keep appointments with the probation services.

LEAVE A COMMENT

What’s new from Donegal Daily

Donegal Daily is delighted to announce a brand new service for our diaspora readers around the globe.

The new service, which will begin in January, will tell the story of how Donegal people are leading the way from Glasgow to New York and from Sydney to Singapore.

We will still be bringing you the best local news and sport the moment it breaks from back home but we will also be letting you know how Donegal people around the globe are getting on.

So watch this space and thank you for your continued support for Donegal’s biggest news and sports website.

error: Content is protected