Jury in councillor’s assault trial sent home for the evening

December 18, 2018

The jury in the case of Donegal county councillor John O’Donnell who is accused of assault causing harm has been sent home for the evening.

The jury of six men and five women had been deliberating for almost three and half hours when one juror member said they had a personal matter to attend to.

Judge John Aylmer, sitting at Letterkenny Circuit Court, said the jury had been deliberating long enough.

He requested that they return tomorrow to continue their deliberations.

O’Donnell, aged 37, is accused of assault causing harm to Seamus O’Donnell in February, 2015 following a night out in Letterkenny.

The victim claims he was kicked in the head while on the ground and knocked unconscious by John O’Donnell of Kilmacrennan.

The victim was hospitalised for eight days following the assault.

The accused has denied the charge.

LEAVE A COMMENT

What’s new from Donegal Daily

Donegal Daily is delighted to announce a brand new service for our diaspora readers around the globe.

The new service, which will begin in January, will tell the story of how Donegal people are leading the way from Glasgow to New York and from Sydney to Singapore.

We will still be bringing you the best local news and sport the moment it breaks from back home but we will also be letting you know how Donegal people around the globe are getting on.

So watch this space and thank you for your continued support for Donegal’s biggest news and sports website.

error: Content is protected