Breaking news: Councillor John O’Donnell found not guilty of assault

December 19, 2018

Donegal county councillor John O’Donnell has been found not guilty of assault causing harm.

After a trial lasting four and half days, Mr O’Donnell, 37, left the courtroom after being found not guilty of a single charge of assault causing harm on Seamus O’Donnell.

The court had heard claims that Seamus O’Donnell was attacked in Letterkenny on a night out in February, 2015.

The victim claimed he had been kicked in the head by Mr O’Donnell and had spent eight days in hospital as a result of the attack.

Mr O’Donnell had always pleaded not guilty and said he was only acting out of self-defence.

Judge John Aylmer had earlier directed the jury to acquit Mr O’Donnell, of Kilmacrennan, of another charge of assault causing harm to Emmet Gallagher on the same night arising out of the same incident.

The jury had deliberated for four hours and twenty minutes before returning with a verdict at 12.28pm today.

The jury spokeswoman said they had found Mr O’Donnell not guilty on the single charge of assault causing harm.

Mr O’Donnell showed no emotion as the verdict was read out and left court a short time later with his legal team, barrister John Berry and solicitor Rory O’Brien.

Copyright Donegal Daily. No part of this report may be reproduced without permission.

LEAVE A COMMENT

What’s new from Donegal Daily

Donegal Daily is delighted to announce a brand new service for our diaspora readers around the globe.

The new service, which will begin in January, will tell the story of how Donegal people are leading the way from Glasgow to New York and from Sydney to Singapore.

We will still be bringing you the best local news and sport the moment it breaks from back home but we will also be letting you know how Donegal people around the globe are getting on.

So watch this space and thank you for your continued support for Donegal’s biggest news and sports website.

error: Content is protected