What can you afford to lose this Christmas? – that’s the question posed by Donegal’s Crime Prevention Officer, Garda Sergeant Paul Wallace this week in the countdown to the holidays.
Sgt Wallace has called on the public not to forget about security in the Christmas rush.
Seasonal advice has been issued to householders, businesspeople, staff, older persons and neighbours to help prevent Christmas crimes in local areas.
In order for people to have a safe and enjoyable Christmas, Gardaí have these tips to stop thieves getting any gifts:
You can afford to lose nothing!
- Keep a sharp eye on strange vehicles in the locality report suspicions to Gardai.
- Install a monitored intruder alarm in your home and buildings that are vulnerable and use it!
- Lighting – Illuminate areas which are overlooked from your home.
- Shopping – Ask a neighbour to look over your property when you are out shopping, (you can also return the favour).
- Be careful to lock your shopping/gifts in the boot of your car – remember the elves (oops) the thieves are about.
Older Persons & Neighbours:
- Check on your older neighbours at this time of year, remember older people love to receive a visit, or telephone call it can be that simple.
- Older people in isolated, rural mountainous areas are especially vulnerable at this time of year.
- Advise older relatives to join the Good Morning Donegal project in your area info at email@example.com / 074 93 21598.
Business Owners & Staff:
- In the busy retailing period in the run up to Christmas – Don’t forget Security & Awareness.
- Cash Security – Have till limits agreed and keep to them. Store Cash Securely.
- Forged Notes – Check notes for fake currency. Watch volume note transactions. Don’t forget the Cards.
- Be Careful when opening up and closing.
- Ensure security equipment i.e. cctv and alarms are operating correctly over the holiday period. Don’t let the criminal highlight deficiencies.
- Report Suspicious Activity – Movement of Vehicles etc get the registration number colour and make it is really that simple!
- Have a safe and enjoyable Christmas.
24/7 Garda Stations are open for business in Donegal this Christmas.
Letterkenny 91 67100 / Buncrana 93 20540 / Milford 91 53060 / Ballyshannon 071 98 51102.
Further Crime Prevention information is available at – www.garda.ie