LETTERKENNY’S Loreto College is among 12 teams of secondary school students representing 11 schools which have won places in the national finals of the inaugural NDC Milk It! Advertising Awards, to take place in Dublin’s Aviva Stadium on Tuesday 12th April, 2011.
The teenagers were invited to experience the creativity, challenges and thrills of working in an advertising agency – whilst providing teachers with an initiative which has cross-curricular linkage benefits.
Students were provided with a brief and guidelines; and encouraged to work in teams of up to 6 students, creating their own ‘advertising agency’ and taking on advertising roles such as Designers, Copywriters, Creative Directors, Research Directors, Media Directors and Project Managers.
The challenge was to research, design and plan an advertising campaign aimed at their own teenage peers and encouraging teenagers to meet their dietary recommended levels of 5 dairy portions a day.
The 12 teams to win a place in the national finals, will face the challenge of exhibiting their work and presenting their ad campaigns to members of the national judging panel.
Judges include: Richard Curran, presenter of Dragons’ Den & Deputy Editor of the Sunday Business Post; Brian Swords, President of the Institute of Advertising Practitioners of Ireland; Shay Keany, CEO of ZenithOptimedia; Dietitian Paula Mee; Michael O’Leary, National Co-ordinator, Transition Year Programme; and Professor Andrea Prothero of UCD Smurfit Graduate School of Business.
325 teachers from 274 secondary schools originally registered teams for the awards. The full list of 12 national finalist teams are:
2011 Junior Category Finalists
– Co Cork: Cow Girls team, 2nd year students from St. Mary’s Secondary School, Macroom – Campaign “Get Milk 4Get Breaks – The Cow Girls”
Student: Alice Dunne, Orlaigh McDonagh, Eileen Murphy, Emer Murphy, Tara Murphy, Mary O’Riordan
– Co Dublin: Black & White team, 1st year students from Holy Child Killiney – Campaign ““Live Life Love Dairy”
Student: Alice Austin, Alicia Sweeney, Anna Samuel, Meadhbh Ni Mhidigh, Hannah Adams, Nicola Kenny
– Co Dublin: Splash! team, 1st year students from Holy Child Killiney – Campaign ““Dairy is Good”
Student: Laura Kenny, Judith Robinson, Amy Flynn, Isabelle Daly, Caoimhe Devany, Angela Mulhern
– Co Kerry: MCYB Advertising Agency team, 2nd year students from Scoil Phobail Sliabh Luachra, Rathmore – Campaign “Yo Yo Yogurt”
Student: Ian O’Riordan, Laura Hogan, Roisin Heuston, Alex Wright, Grace Nagle
– Co Offaly: Na Seisur Daltai, 2nd year students from Banagher College, Banagher – Campaign “Udderly Brilliant”
Names: Ashton O’Rourke, Louise Murray, Imelda Minnock, Pádraic Troy, Yvonne Ryan, Emma Treacy
– Co. Tipperary: Akimbo team, 2nd year students from Colaiste Dun Iascaigh, Cahir – Campaign “ Akimbo Cow” (Junior Category Finalists)
Students: Aisling Keating, Niamh O’Brien, Amy Rowe, Laura Keeley, Marguerite Butler
2011 Senior Category Finalists
– Co Cork: The All Whites team, transition year students from St. Colman’s Community College, Midleton – Campaign “The All Whites”
Students: Natalia Sikorska, Molly Cotter, Holly-Anne O’Hare, Julie Crotty, Danielle Hodnett, Elizabeth Mulcahy
– Co Cork: The Udder Girls team, 5th year students, from St. Patrick’s College, Gardiner’s Hill, Cork City – Campaign “Calcium: Do You Take Yours ?”
Students: Meshell Crowley, Ciara Condon, Nicole Mullins, Eve Morey, Casey Swords, Jade Lonergan
– Co Donegal: Legendairy team, Transition Year students from Loreto Secondary School, Letterkenny – Campaign “Milk: It’s Legendairy”
Students: Nidhi Kamat, Eimear Mannion, Rosemary Joseph, Gillian Carney, Rachel Coyle, Eimear Roarty
– Co Dublin: The Udder Option, 5th year students from Mount Temple Comprehensive School, Clontarf – Campaign “Fall in Love with Milk”
Students: Lorna Keating, Timothy Carly, Nora Dunne, Tom Lee
– Co Leitrim: The Crunchies, Transition Year students from Mohill Community College, Mohill – Campaign “Dairy for Density” (Senior Category Finalists)
Students: Niamh McHugh, Niamh McKiernan, Patricia Forde, Oisin O’Driscoll, Amy Conboy, Anita Conefrey
– Co. Wicklow: The Dairy Brigade, Transition Year students from Gaelcholaiste na Mara, An tInbhear Mor, Co Chill Mhantain (Arklow) – Campaign “The Dairy Brigade” (Senior Category Finalists)
Students: Alastair Dennehy, Shauna Devereux, Erinne Murphy
The Overall Winning team will win a fantastic Apple iPad and an NDC Milk It trophy.
The NDC introduced the new awards to secondary schools in September 2010 to support an initiative to start expanding the School Milk and Dairy Programme into secondary schools (www.schoolmilk.ie ).
Further information regarding the NDC Milk It Awards is available at www.ndc.ie and at www.milkitawards.ie.